Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Fact-Finding Cashless Welfare Card Trial (Read 1911 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: The Fact-Finding Cashless Welfare Card Trial
Reply #15 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:20pm

Bam wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:13pm:
Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 11:27am:
Captain Nemo wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 11:03am:
Seems to be working pretty well:
Key findings from the report include:

Alcohol – of participants who reported that they do drink alcohol, 41 per cent of participants reported drinking alcohol less frequently, while 37 per cent of participants reported binge drinking less frequently.

Gambling – of participants who reported they do gamble, 48 per cent of participants reported gambling less.

Drug use – of participants who reported using illegal drugs before the program commenced, 48 per cent reported using illegal drugs less often.

These results may be genuine but i have some doubts about ‘Seems to be working’ and the actual meaning of ‘participants who reported’.
If the language used here is an accurate expression of how the results were obtained we need to ask are there any reasons participants could want or need to report their behavior in this manner.

Correct. There was one very dubious survey - it may even have been this one - where "participants who reported" was found to be eight people out of a sample of over 2,000 and they were drawing conclusions from that. Oh, and there was a survey - again, it may have been this one - that was NOT done anonymously and had "inducements".

This whole "trial" has been a stitch up from the beginning. It needs to be subjected to the investigative blowtorch of a Royal Commission.

National Corruption Commission?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:32pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 12:20pm:
Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 11:27am:

Alcohol – of participants who reported that they do drink alcohol, 41 per cent of participants reported drinking alcohol less frequently, while 37 per cent of participants reported binge drinking less frequently.

Gambling – of participants who reported they do gamble, 48 per cent of participants reported gambling less.

Drug use – of participants who reported using illegal drugs before the program commenced, 48 per cent reported using illegal drugs less often.

These results may be genuine but i have some doubts about ‘Seems to be working’ and the actual meaning of ‘participants who reported’.
If the language used here is an accurate expression of how the results were obtained we need to ask are there any reasons participants could want or need to report their behavior in this manner.

Correct. There was one very dubious survey - it may even have been this one - where "participants who reported" was found to be eight people out of a sample of over 2,000 and they were drawing conclusions from that. Oh, and there was a survey - again, it may have been this one - that was NOT done anonymously and had "inducements".

This whole "trial" has been a stitch up from the beginning. It needs to be subjected to the investigative blowtorch of a Royal Commission.

National Corruption Commission?

A separate Royal Commission would be needed into the card trials. There may not be actual corruption as such, at least not evident straight away, so a dedicated Royal Commission may be needed to uncover any wrongdoing. For example, despite opt-out being in force now for these trials for over six months, not one single person has been able to exit the trial because Centrelink have not processing any. That's not corruption, so may fall outside the jurisdiction of any Federal anti-corruption commission, but it would definitely fall under the aegis of a Royal Commission with properly-constituted terms of reference.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #17 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:16pm

On the results so far ...

Independent evaluation of the Cashless Debit Card trial in the Ceduna and East Kimberley regions
The Australian Government commissioned ORIMA Research to undertake a full, independent evaluation of the Cashless Debit Card trial in the Ceduna region, and in the East Kimberley region (Kununurra and Wyndham). The evaluation has reported in three stages:

the Cashless Debit Card trial evaluation – Initial Conditions Report;
the Cashless Debit Card trial evaluation – Wave 1 Interim Evaluation Report; and,
the Cashless Debit Card trial evaluation – Final Evaluation Report.
The Cashless Debit Card trial evaluation – Final Evaluation Report is now available and compares data gathered throughout the evaluation period (April 2016 – July 2017).

The evaluation used qualitative and quantitative research methods and the evaluation design was informed by feedback from:

respected academics and commentators with expertise in conducting research and evaluations involving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, as expert advisors to the Steering Committee;
leaders and representatives of Aboriginal corporations and community organisations in the Ceduna region and East Kimberley region; and
officers of Commonwealth and State Government agencies with on-the-ground experience in both sites.
The evaluation assessed harm reduction impacts of the Trial on individual and community functioning, focusing on social harm caused by alcohol consumption, drug use and gambling.

The final evaluation report was released on 1 September 2017.

The evaluation found that the Cashless Debit Card has had a “considerable positive impact” in the two trial communities of Ceduna and the East Kimberley.

It concluded that the Cashless Debit Card trial “has been effective in reducing alcohol consumption and gambling in both trial sites and [is] also suggestive of a reduction in the use of illegal drugs” and “that there is some evidence that there has been a consequential reduction in violence and harm related to alcohol consumption, illegal drug use and gambling”.

The evaluation also found “widespread spill-over benefits” from the card:

Of the trial participants surveyed, 40 per cent said they were better able to look after their children.

45 per cent of trial participants have been better able to save money

Feedback that there had been a decrease in requests for emergency food relief and financial assistance in Ceduna

Merchant reports of increased purchases of baby items, food, clothing, shoes, toys and other goods for children

Considerable observable evidence being cited by many community leaders and stakeholders of a reduction in crime, violence and harmful behaviours over the duration of the trial.

https://www.dss.gov.au/families-and-children-programs-services-welfare-quarantin...

And you don't think that's fudged? Druggies would use less drugs. If they were on a payment it wouldn't be used for drugs (bot enough).

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:38pm

I wanna create a place of my
own in the welfare state.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:48pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 10:25am:
What have the young got to lose faced with global extinction on an unprecedented scale?

Which global extinctions would that be? Not the modeled study where they assumed the number of species they didn't know and factored them in? The Sixth Mass Extinction Event that isn't. Wink

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 1:52pm

Bam wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 9:02am:
The big four banks were exposed as a bunch of corrupt crooks in the Banking Royal Commission - which the Libs enacted very reluctantly. And the banks' punishment? They're going to be handed control of billions of dollars of taxpayers' funds for no reason other than to oppress vulnerable people and grind them down. This government is planning to reward the criminal banks. Just business as usual for the Coalition of Corruption.

The Libs and Nats are making sure their own pockets are getting very well lined out of this. Of all the corruption scandals in Australia, the cashless debit card "trial" is the biggest. (And why does the Sarina Russo the employment services company keep getting its contracts renewed despite poor performance? Is it because Sarina Russo herself donates generously to the Coalition?)

Class warfare is at the shooting stage in Australia. Why won't the media speak to the victims of this war to find out what's really going on?

reading some good posts

and this is one of them

Smiley

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:00pm

Bam wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 9:13am:
Valkie wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 4:32am:
Welfare is a privilege,  not a right.

Is that why the politicians get very fat pensions? Why the Coalition of Corruption fight tooth and nail to keep lining the pockets of the greedy with unfunded measures like franking credit refunds while starving the needy with petty penny-pinching? Why the average household on $200,000 a year receives about twice as much government money a year as the average single person on Nostart, with far less paperwork? Why fossil fuel companies receive about $40 billion a year in subsidies?

If you're going to be whining about "welfare", look at the huge amounts going to the RICH. There are HUGE savings to be had by cutting all this wealthfare and making the rich pay their fair share of tax by abolishing all regressive and flat taxes and making ALL taxes progressive.

There are a lot of people out there who are MUCH angrier than you at this inequity, and for very good reason. Privileged idiots don't even know this is going on and will remain ignorant until the killings start.

Good for you  Smiley

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:18pm

If ...

Binge drinking MORE frequently.

Gambling MORE.

Using illegal drugs MORE often.

LESS able to look after their children.

LESS able to save money

INCREASE in requests for emergency food relief and financial assistance in Ceduna.

Merchant reports of DECREASED purchases of baby items, food, clothing, shoes, toys and other goods for children.

Then, I would say the trial seemed not to be working.  Wink

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:58pm

A case of whom to believe, don't you suspect, Nemo?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:15pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:18pm:
If ...

Gambling MORE.

LESS able to save money

INCREASE in requests for emergency food relief and financial assistance in Ceduna.

Merchant reports of DECREASED purchases of baby items, food, clothing, shoes, toys and other goods for children.

Property crime is up. Domestic violence is up. Black market activity is through the roof. Still think it's a good idea? What if you lose your job? It can happen, don't deny it. Would you want to be forced to live on $500 a week for six months and then forced onto this? It could be YOU. Do you want it for yourself? Or are you one of the oppressors?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #25 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:31pm

Bam wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:15pm:
If ...

Gambling MORE.

LESS able to save money

Property crime is up. Domestic violence is up. Black market activity is through the roof. Still think it's a good idea? What if you lose your job? It can happen, don't deny it. Would you want to be forced to live on $500 a week for six months and then forced onto this? It could be YOU. Do you want it for yourself? Or are you one of the oppressors?

$500 a week? More like 500 a month

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:59pm

If ...

Gambling MORE.

LESS able to save money

Property crime is up.
Domestic violence is up.
Black market activity is through the roof.

In the areas where the welfare cashless card is being trialed?

Really?

Link?

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #27 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 4:09pm

PZ547 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 2:58pm:
A case of whom to believe, don't you suspect, Nemo?

Well - without substantial evidence to the positive - it would seem the real effects of a cashless card are not apparent.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 6:49pm

I recently ceased (I hope) being subjected to an ABS survey ..was told I had no choice in the matter. Once a month for the last 6 months, they sent me a survey that i had to fill out, including names, d.o.b, occupation, income and all sorts of other private info. I listed the flinstones family as names, and made up everything else. Fuqed if I'm giving anyone my private details, especially some anonymous dope on the net telling me i had no choice. Even more so if it's the govt..

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jan 23rd, 2020 at 8:02pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jan 23rd, 2020 at 3:31pm:
If ...

Gambling MORE.

LESS able to save money

$500 a week? More like 500 a month

Spot

I'm referring here to the liquid asset waiting period, one of many excuses that currently exist in law to deny people access to income support.

Anyone who's got a few tens of thousands of dollars in the bank (or in shares) is forced to use that before being eligible for unemployment benefits. The Coalition is pushing through legislation to increase the waiting time to six months. Every extra $500 gives an extra week of waiting period, therefore people who lose their job are expected to live on $500 a week. That amount has not been increased this century.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print