Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greens Call For Emergency National Mask Stockpile (Read 660 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Greens Call For Emergency National Mask Stockpile
Jan 14th, 2020 at 11:53am

Greens call for climate emergency national stockpile   Smiley

January 13, 2020
Sydney Morning Herald

Australians in smog-wreathed cities would have access to stockpiles of smoke-filtering masks under a Greens policy to establish a climate emergency national medical stockpile.

"It's almost impossible to avoid, it can claim lives, and it hurts everyone's quality of life," Greens leader Richard Di Natale said. "Already one person has died in Canberra, and the public health impacts on the broader population won't be known for months."

Visitors to Parliament House were forced to wear face masks after smoke from bushfires blanketed Canberra in a haze.

The government has made more than 1.8 million P2 masks, which help wearers breathe in fewer hazardous smoke particles, available to people living on the front lines of the fires or who are particularly vulnerable to the effects of smoke inhalation.

The masks come from an existing medical stockpile, but the Greens want to go further, advocating for the much wider distribution of masks to people in major cities.

Retailers around Australia have been forced to fly in hundreds of thousands of additional masks since the fire season began.

Bunnings owner Wesfarmers said demand for masks had been "through the roof".

Greens leader Richard Di Natale, a former GP, wants the government to make more masks available.

"The Australian Greens are launching the climate emergency national medical stockpile to reflect the immediate risk to people's health," the policy statement says. "It will give people an assurance that their government has the ability to respond to the health impacts of the fire crises, without running into the widespread mask shortages we have seen since December."

Smoke plays havoc with Australian Open qualifying

Thick smoke is causing problems in Melbourne ahead of qualifying for the Australian Open

Senator Di Natale said the government's current supply of masks, which are mostly disposable, was not enough to protect Australians.   Sad

"At most, the government's current approach can only offer a single day of improved air quality to one in five Sydneysiders," Senator Di Natale said.

The government has said it will make more masks available as the need arises.

"The government is working closely with affected jurisdictions to identify if additional masks – beyond those already being provided – are required," Health Minister Greg Hunt said in a statement last week.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Greens Call For Emergency National Mask Stockpile
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 12:10pm

What does a National Mask look like? Surely it would be a free kick to the Nats? /sarc (for those that think it is serial) Wink

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 1:11pm

lee wrote on Jan 14th, 2020 at 12:10pm:
What does a National Mask look like? Surely it would be a free kick to the Nats? /sarc (for those that think it is serial) Wink

Well if one of your LNP mates gets the lucrative contract without tendor to supply those masks from china then I bet you would think it was a good idea Wink

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 1:22pm

Sure they do

images_128.jpeg (32 KB | 12 )
images_128.jpeg

IBI

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 1:58pm

Sir lastnail wrote on Jan 14th, 2020 at 1:11pm:
lee wrote on Jan 14th, 2020 at 12:10pm:

Well if one of your LNP mates gets the lucrative contract without tendor to supply those masks from china then I bet you would think it was a good idea Wink

nail, thats more like it.

opportunities exist in the modern economy like low hanging fruit.
thats very entrepreneurial of you.
now follow thru

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 8:52am

I sent two air purifiers down to my grandfather in Melbourne.  My Dad went over and set them up and they sounded the evacuation alarm for the air quality inside his house...

After 4 hours of both of them running at full blast, it's now down to acceptable levels.

I wonder how many childcare facilities or schools have these for the classrooms.

Masks are a good idea, but of course, the usual buggerwits on here have to politicise the issue because the Greens are involved.

You should be asking why your lot aren't proposing these solutions.  Asleep at the wheel again.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 12:07pm

The Govt could impose a 69% "Tobacco" Tax on the bushfire smoke, they reckon we breath in the equivalent of 40 cigarettes per day from the smoke. That would pay for the masks

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 5:23pm

Those cotton face masks the Asians wear don't stop the fine smoke particles.

You need something like a spray painter's mask to keep the smell of the Greenies out.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2020 at 6:29pm

They'll be imported, right?

So who's going to be the middle-man creaming from both sides?

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 11:08am

Of course they will be imported as the hostile unions have made any manufacturing too expensive here in Australia.

Are the Chinese bribing the unions to force Australian businesses to close down so Australia will import the same stuff from China ?

This is of course the LIMA Declaration whose purpose is to send Australian jobs overseas as both the Unions and Labor still support the LIMA Declaration.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2020 at 11:12am

I should walk through Sydney with my scuba tank and regulator in.

Kinda sums up Whitey's World of superior technology making it a better world for us to live in. Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print