Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Morrison links fires to climate change (Read 11640 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Morrison links fires to climate change
Reply #60 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:18pm

freediver wrote on Jan 6th, 2020 at 7:41pm:
PM Scott Morrison defends climate policies and asks Australians to be 'patient' over fires

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/02/pm-scott-morrison-defends-climate-policies-and-asks-australians-to-be-patient-over-fires

Morrison also referred to the government’s plans to review “all contributing factors” to the prolonged fire season, which included the inquiry into land clearing, which was set up in early December, to review policies across the states.

“Other issues of how you manage hazard reduction are important because, as you say, the impact, more broadly, of climate change on these issues has a pronounced effect on the length of the fire season,” he said.

“That, equally then has a need to address issues around hazard reduction for national parks, dealing with land-clearing laws, zoning laws and planning walls around people’s properties and where they can be built in countries like Australia, up and down the coast. That being the case with the climatic effects of what we are seeing, there are many restrictions around those effects that have to be reviewed on the basis on the broader climatic effect we are seeing in this country.”

He was referring to the Indian Ocean Dipole climate effect.

I have not heard anyone say that these or all the other fires would not have occurred if the CO2 in the atmosphere had not gone from 375 ppm to 400 ppm in recent decades (that is, from 0.0375% of the atmosphere to 0.04%, an increase of a WHOPPING, catastrophic, world-burning...er... 0.0025%).

I haven't heard it because nobody is daft enough to say such a stupid thing.  It's always only ever insinuated - because saying it out loud would render anyone an instant laughing-stock.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:29pm

An absence of controlled burns would invite uncontrolled burns — such as the gigantic wildfires that have ravaged much of this drought-hit nation since September.

As those fires roared through Australia’s eastern coast, killing residents and volunteer firefighters and destroying hundreds of houses, a not-unrelated court report appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald. It told the story of 71-year-old John David Chia, who in 2014 paid contractors to cut down and remove 74 trees on and around his property.

The judge in this case noted that Chia’s primary motivation for the tree removal was ‘his concern about the risk of fire at his property’, but found also the Sydney pensioner’s actions had caused ‘substantial harm’ to the environment. Chia ended up copping a $40,000 fine — more than $500 for each tree.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/01/fight-fire-with-fire-controlled-burning-cou...

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:30pm

Similar legal rulings have become frequent in Australia, as a kind of ecological religious fundamentalism has taken the place of common sense. In 2004, Liam Sheahan was charged $100,000 in fines and legal expenses after clearing land around his hilltop property in Reedy Creek, Victoria. Five years later, that property was the only structure left standing in the area following the state’s deadly Black Saturday fires.

In 2001, electricity transmitter TransGrid sensibly bulldozed a 60-metre clearing beneath high-voltage power lines in the Snowy Mountains. The company took the view that high voltages and close-proximity combustible material is not the best combination, but duly lost $500,000 in fines and settlements paid to the New South Wales state government, which described the actions as ‘environmental vandalism’. Two years later, the journalist Miranda Devine reported that the TransGrid clearing became sanctuary for kangaroos, wallabies and three TransGrid staffers who were desperately attempting to create a wider firebreak against that year’s bushfires.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:31pm

Even minor attempts to reduce that fuel load are punished. Let’s suppose, for example, you have a wood fireplace at your rural house. Doing the right thing by the law and the environment, you do not cut down any trees to use as firewood. Instead, you simply collect dead branches and fallen trees lying around in the bushland dirt. This also reduces the amount of fuel available for potential bushfires, so you’re on the side of the angels.

But wait! Heed the warning from NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service Central West area manager Fiona Buchanan, in April last year: ‘We are getting the message out there that removing firewood, including deadwood and fallen trees, is not permitted in national parks. We want people to know the rules around firewood collection… It’s important people are aware that on-the-spot fines apply but also very large fines can be handed out by the courts.’

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:31pm

She wasn’t bluffing. A man had earlier been fined $30,000 for illegally collecting firewood in the Murrumbidgee Valley National Park. Why? Because, as Buchanan explained: ‘Many ground-dwelling animals and threatened species use tree hollows for nesting, so when fallen trees and deadwood is taken illegally, it destroys their habitat. This fallen timber is part of these animals’ natural ecosystem.’

Those natural ecosystems are now, across thousands of hectares of national parks in New South Wales, nothing but cinders and ash. Enjoy your protected habitat, little ground-dwellers.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:41pm

The sick diseased Lunatic Extremist Greenies are TRAITORS!!!!!  Exterminate them!!!!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #66 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:12pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:57pm

Oh that dreadful Climate Warrior the Greeny BRossy is still fowling this site with his biased Greeny rubbish.

After the bushfires you would think a Greeny like him would be so ashamed he would just crawl out of sight into Munk's GetUp! Propaganda Site.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 6:11pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 5:12pm:

You are invited to show how these fires are 'climate change' related.

Please don't quote celebrities.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #69 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:06pm

Frank wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 6:11pm:

Why should I, Soren?  You'll just reject anything I post.  Tsk, tsk, nothing like a closed mind, now is there?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #70 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:34pm

Frank wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 4:18pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 6th, 2020 at 7:41pm:
PM Scott Morrison defends climate policies and asks Australians to be 'patient' over fires

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jan/02/pm-scott-morrison-defends-climate-policies-and-asks-australians-to-be-patient-over-fires

Morrison also referred to the government’s plans to review “all contributing factors” to the prolonged fire season, which included the inquiry into land clearing, which was set up in early December, to review policies across the states.

“Other issues of how you manage hazard reduction are important because, as you say, the impact, more broadly, of climate change on these issues has a pronounced effect on the length of the fire season,” he said.

“That, equally then has a need to address issues around hazard reduction for national parks, dealing with land-clearing laws, zoning laws and planning walls around people’s properties and where they can be built in countries like Australia, up and down the coast. That being the case with the climatic effects of what we are seeing, there are many restrictions around those effects that have to be reviewed on the basis on the broader climatic effect we are seeing in this country.”

He was referring to the Indian Ocean Dipole climate effect.

Also from the article:

Quote:
The prime minister made a point of acknowledging the link between reducing emissions and protecting environments against worsening bushfire seasons, but despite mounting criticism maintained his government’s current policies struck the right balance.

“Our climate policy settings are to meet and beat the emissions reduction targets, emissions reduction under our government is 50m tonnes more than the previous government and we want to see them continue for this country and continue to better the achievements we have already made, with measures that achieve that,” he said.

“Let me be clear to the Australian people, our emissions reductions policies will both protect our environment and seek to reduce the risk and hazard we are seeing today. At the same time, it will seek to make sure the viability of people’s jobs and livelihoods, all around the country.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 9:15pm

NBrian Ross wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 7:06pm:

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smil...

Why should I, Soren?  You'll just reject anything I post.  Tsk, tsk, nothing like a closed mind, now is there?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I knew you had nothing. We all did.

It never stopped you from posting poo just because I rejected it before, Bwian. But now that you actually have to back something up, you go to water. Dishonest coward, liar, dissembler, Typical.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #72 - Jan 12th, 2020 at 10:21pm

Frank wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 9:15pm:

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smil...

It never stopped you from posting poo just because I rejected it before, Bwian. But now that you actually have to back something up, you go to water. Dishonest coward, liar, dissembler, Typical.

Tsk, tsk, nothing like a closed mind, now is there?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 11:07am

Oh that dreadful Climate Warrior the Greeny BRossy is still fowling this site with his biased Greeny rubbish.

After the bushfires you would think a Greeny like him would be so ashamed he would just crawl out of sight into Munk's GetUp! Propaganda Site.

He should stay in Munk's GetUp! Propaganda Site.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 5:20pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 10:21pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 12th, 2020 at 9:15pm:

Tsk, tsk, nothing like a closed mind, now is there?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You can never back your idiotic assertions with facts or evidence. You just yawn to cover up your lies and utter incompetence and dishonesty.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print