Send Topic Print
Anomaly Hunting (Read 947 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Anomaly Hunting
Jan 5th, 2020 at 10:47am

One of the most common and insidious bits of cognitive self-deception is the process of anomaly hunting.

Pseudoscientists – those pretending to do science (maybe even sincerely believing they are doing science) but who get the process profoundly wrong, use anomalies in a different way. They often engage in what we call anomaly hunting – looking for apparent anomalies.

What pseudoscientists do is look for “apparent” anomalies – things that cannot be immediately explained, or (even worse) are just quirky coincidences. Often they also look at the edges of detectability where data becomes fuzzy and anomalies are easier to imagine. Think of the fuzzy pictures of Bigfoot or UFOs, with believers looking at details smaller than the resolution of the images and declaring the presence of anomalies.

They imagine that if they can find (broadly defined) anomalies in that data that would point to another phenomenon at work. They then commit a pair of logical fallacies.

- First, the confuse unexplained with unexplainable. This leads them to prematurely declare something a true anomaly, without first exhaustively trying to explain it with conventional means.

- Second they use the argument from ignorance, saying that because we cannot explain an anomaly that means their specific pet theory must be true. I don’t know what that fuzzy obect in the sky is – therefore it is an alien spacecraft.

What pseudoscientists often fail to recognize is that if you take any complex natural phenomenon, historical event, object or process and you look for apparent anomalies (broadly defined), you will find them. Humans are great at pattern recognition, and so if you look for coincidence in the data you will detect them. You will also find features that resulted from a complex interplay of unique events and therefore will be impossible to provide a specific explanation.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/anomaly-hunting/

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Anomaly Hunting
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 12:29pm

Anomaly hunting is most obvious in events such as 9/11, JFK assassination and the Port Arthur massacre.
These events involved large numbers of people, were highly charged emotionally, and involved media scrambling to provide information before they knew exactly what was going on.
In these sorts of events, if you look hard enough, you are always going to find "apparent" anomalies. Most can be put down to the stress people were under at the time, some are just inevitable coincidences when you are looking at a complex situation in hindsight, some may defy any known explanation but that doesn't mean there isn't one.

The Moon landing is perhaps the most infamous for being a victim of anomaly hunting. Bizarrely most of the anomalies can be explained by anyone with even a basic understanding of photography.

Even Climate Change suffers from this, as deniers trawl through all the data that BoM, NASA and the Met Office provide desperately searching for apparent anomalies. Of course they only cherry pick those anomalies that support their case

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:16pm

are you trying to understand the human brain and how it works?...

if you take a look at the varied members here    the ones who post most of the time...

most of us are bonkers for being here... it doesnt mean we are bonkers though.. Sad Sad I think!

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 3:57am

Sticky tape --- yes, actual, clearly photographed sticky tape

and Alfoil

and curtain rods

all patched together

to form the 'lunar lander'

and we're supposed to believe that mess 'lifted off' the Moon and carried people FROM the moon's surface and BACK to the module which supposedly was revolving around the revolving moon waiting for them, on cue, while guys were smacking golf balls and taking photos of each other and conducting 'collections' 'on the surface of the Moon'

and never mind the fossilised wood or whatever which was presented by NASA to Sweden or whomever as 'Moon Rock'

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

and then we come to the several tonnes weight Moon Buggy which supposedly fitted INTO the sticky tape and Alfoil concoctions

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

yet there are still those (we will not name them to spare them embarrassment) who WANT to believe that even though today's scientists tell us we 'cannot send people back to the Moon until we've worked out a way to get them safely through the van allen belts' --- certain people still WANT to believe we sent men safely through those belts in the late 1960s

AND that in the late 1960s, using technology no better than early school calculators, NASA was able to beam vision and speech from Moon to Earth without a hitch

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

and  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Despite what they WANT to believe re: faked Moon landings, these same people imagine they're qualified to scoff at proven precognition, ESP, Telepathic communication, ghost sightings, etc.

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:51am

Thanks PZ547 for providing such an concise example of anomaly hunting.
It's also a good example of the argument from ignorance fallacy.

I'm not going to go into the details as this would quickly degenerate into a Moon landing hoax thread but to cherry pick apparent "anomalies", just because you don't happen to understand them, doesn't disprove the reality of the Moon Landings 

cods wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:16pm:

I am fascinated by how the human brain works. It's limitations, quirks and foibles. And this forum is certainly a rich breeding ground for that.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:59am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:51am:

I'm not going to go into the details as this would quickly degenerate into a Moon landing hoax thread but to cherry pick apparent "anomalies", just because you don't happen to understand them, doesn't disprove the reality of the Moon Landings 

I am fascinated by how the human brain works. It's limitations, quirks and foibles. And this forum is certainly a rich breeding ground for that.

i dont think the brain has any limitations really....most of us dont use the whole brain ... we get by...so to speak  and for most of us thats enough......my brain wants to invent things...I get all these ideas   and to me they sound great   but how to put them into action I have no idea......my brain cant work that bit out...lolol... I had a heap of tests last year and even on the brain    and its fine.. although I am sure a few here would raise their eyebrows at that one... Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 12:32pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 11th, 2020 at 10:51am:

And I'm interested in the Brain that is the size of a Planet.
So far, it's pretty depressing.

OIP.jpg (29 KB | 7 )
OIP.jpg

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 6:40pm

not going far, this bait thread

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 8:44pm

The mirror in Hubble telescope had an anomaly of a small fraction of the thickness of a human hair. All the photos came out fuzzy. That anomaly had to be eliminated before the telescope could take sharp clear pictures

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 6:14pm

So a Pseudo-Scientist would have spotted that Anomaly before it was launched (All management fault apparently)?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 6:35pm

Jasin wrote on Jan 28th, 2020 at 6:14pm:
So a Pseudo-Scientist would have spotted that Anomaly before it was launched (All management fault apparently)?

No it wasn't spotted until it was too late. But if a pseudo scientist had been inquisitive enough before it was launched, he could have asked: "Will there be any optical aberration due to the difficulty of working within such a fine tolerance of one millionth of an inch"

(The anomaly was caused by a misaligned optical tester, testing the mirror as it was being ground. Nobody bothered to double check the alignment)

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Jan 28th, 2020 at 6:54pm

But I think they were told by Management 'NOT' to do the double-check.

You know. If they had female Security Guards at Alcatraz - they would have spotted that hole/tunnel, because women can pick a fault in anything.  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print