Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
why NOW (Read 6344 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

why NOW
Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:31am

a question for you vic...why are our defence forces not trained to fight fires or for any emergency that affects our country?..

only now are they being sent into NSW and Vic  to help..

surely at times like this it would be like fighting a war..just one against the elements...

it amazes me why we leave it until so much harm has been done...........
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2020 at 12:53pm by Brian Ross »  

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: why NOW
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:38am

They need to know how to kill. That takes priority

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:39am

cods wrote on Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:31am:
a question for you vic...why are our defence forces not trained to fight fires or for any emergency that affects our country?..

surely at times like this it would be like fighting a war..just one against the elements...

maybe because the climate change ratbags in high places demanded the Oz fires be left to destroy close to everything

because the media could flash it around the world

to 'prove' that climate change is 'real' ?

Morrison should be put in the hot seat and forced to explain WHY the military weren't brought in from the start

but what can he say other than, ' B .. but my masters stopped me from controlling the fires by bringing in the military. If it were up to me, I would have brought the military in from the start … but I was forbidden by my overseas masters from doing so.  Don't blame me.  I would have.  But I was prevented from doing so.  They even dragged me off to Hawaii to make sure I understood that the fires … most of them deliberately lit, I should add … must be allowed to burn this country to blackened toast.  Don't b..blame me !  It's not MY fault that my masters are using Australia to push their lucrative climate change scam … '

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:46am

He doesnt even defend his position because his religion says we are all sinners and deserve to die and he will get a new earth when its over

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:46am

That's one of the dumbest I have seen from you, and that's saying a lot.

What weapons do the 'Armed Services' have to fight fires?

Do you think they could use some ah ... PFAS is it? 

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:57am

It's not their job.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:42am

Gordon wrote on Jan 1st, 2020 at 7:57am:
It's not their job.

WHY isnt it   we are not at WAR.....why have these men and women sitting twiddling their thumbs when they could be at least trained to be of some help in times of emergencies????>..

we train volunteers   men and women who do have better things to be doing.....

now the govt is sending in helicopters and even ships to do what exactly??????

oh thats right to help with something they have NO TRAINING FOR 

makes sense to some. Angry

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:42am

Australia's defence forces are decreed to be "on duty" 364/365 days a year, 24 hours a day.  Leave is a privilege, not a right.

The reason why it has taken so long to act is because well, it hasn't.  The ADF has been in action from early on in the NSW bushfire emergency providing logistic support with over a thousand diggers.   That has now been extended to Victoria.

The ADF is in line to provide logistics support and air and naval support.

The ADF is not trained to fight fires, except for a small core of firefighters who handle fires on the ADF's ranges.   When I served, back in 1983 during the Ash Wednesday fires, the ADF was called out.  I drove a water tanker.  The South Australian CFS however didn't want us helping them and so most diggers sat on their arses beside the road waiting on a decision.  They ended up going back to barracks.  The Brigadier wasn't happy about that and made some loud noises.  He was politely ignored.  I doubt much would have changed since then...  Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:52am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:42am:
Australia's defence forces are decreed to be "on duty" 364/365 days a year, 24 hours a day.  Leave is a privilege, not a right.

The reason why it has taken so long to act is because well, it hasn't.  The ADF has been in action from early on in the NSW bushfire emergency providing logistic support with over a thousand diggers.   That has now been extended to Victoria.

The ADF is not trained to fight fires, except for a small core of firefighters who handle fires on the ADF's ranges.   When I served, back in 1983 during the Ash Wednesday fires, the ADF was called out.  I drove a water tanker.  The South Australian CFS however didn't want us helping them and so most diggers sat on their arses beside the road waiting on a decision.  They ended up going back to barracks.  The Brigadier wasn't happy about that and made some loud noises.  He was politely ignored.  I doubt much would have changed since then...  Roll Eyes

that is exactly why I am asking this question.....why are they not TRAINED.. in any emergency....

its better to be TRAINED than not trained...

my argument is this... we have to come up with better way to fight fires.........this wont be the last........

I think our defence forces are wonderful dont get me wrong....but they are a GROUP  that can be called on at a moments notice.....they can be transported anywhere at a moments notice

to be its a GIVEN  why not use them in a very practical positive way.....no one is suggesting they dont do what they are in service to do......but we have a very serious emergency right now....and it seems to me  we have wasted a lot of time.. why wait until so much damage has been done????????

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:58am

cods wrote on Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:52am:

that is exactly why I am asking this question.....why are they not TRAINED.. in any emergency....

my argument is this... we have to come up with better way to fight fires.........this wont be the last........

I think our defence forces are wonderful dont get me wrong....but they are a GROUP  that can be called on at a moments notice.....they can be transported anywhere at a moments notice

to be its a GIVEN  why not use them in a very practical positive way.....no one is suggesting they dont do what they are in service to do......but we have a very serious emergency right now....and it seems to me  we have wasted a lot of time.. why wait until so much damage has been done????????

They are not trained to fight fires because fighting fires is not seen as their primary duty, Cods.

When you are prepared to have diggers learning how to fight fires, rather than learning how to defend you and your property from overseas attackers, get back to us, OK?

You can have one or the t'other, not both.  Simples really.

Diggers can be taught how to fight spot fires and tidy up after the firefront has passed, putting out smouldering logs, etc.   They are not though.   The civilian fire services don't have the money to devote to training them.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:03am

cods wrote on Jan 1st, 2020 at 9:52am:

i think like a lot of people you have a glorified view of the ADF cods, most service people just simply arent that bright. The ADF recruits people who can be easily manipulated into becoming people who will not act without being given an order, thats the last people you need to depend on in an actual emergency.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:44am

rhino wrote on Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:03am:
i think like a lot of people you have a glorified view of the ADF cods, most service people just simply arent that bright. The ADF recruits people who can be easily manipulated into becoming people who will not act without being given an order, thats the last people you need to depend on in an actual emergency.

And your experience in the military consists of, what, exactly, Rhino?   Roll Eyes

Yes, there are some people like that there but the majority of soldiers/sailors/airmen are paid to think and think they do.   People who merely obey orders do not go far in the ADF. 

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 12:19pm

I think logistic support is all they can really do.

Making them into RFS teams would involve massive expenditure in equipment and RFS training apart from doing their ADF normal work.

Who would they be reporting to RFS command or their ADF command during these periods?

Could we afford to have a high percentage of all ADF staff tied up for months on end fighting fires while neglecting their normal work and training.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #13 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 12:19pm

I can only speak for Navy Cods but, we all undergo regular firefighting training to the extent of containing a fire on a ship or submarine however, that training is not really extendable to the huge firestorms that we are seeing at the moment.      Whilst there have been members ot the armed forces on the ground for some time assisting where they can, it comes down to a few other reasons including, who would fill the gap left by defence assets if a military threat comes up and, who pays for what is a. non defence requirement.

Believe it or not, everything is costed in defence down to the last slice of bread and all that becomes the defence budget for the year.    When something comes up like this, Defence - if you like - provide "a quote" for services and the Government provides the money from another source.   I have worked in a number of System Program Offices (SPOs) where each element of our program has the annual cost for fuel, maintenance, alongside costs etc built into that ship's monetary budget for the year.  All is good until Cyclone Larry hits and now we are looking at extra fuel, extra stores, extra everything and the defence Budget just doesn't stretch to that.  So, it becomes a piddling contest between Ministers to find the money to augment defence.    It is indeed an eye opening experience.   

You will find that most of the defence force are itching to get in there and help, but they can only move when the Defence Minister tells the Chief of defence they can go

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Jan 1st, 2020 at 2:05pm

One thing's for sure, we need a massive increase in firefighting resources to an extant volunteers can't fill.

Prehaps a large federally funded full time service that can fight fires, do controlled burns and  even assist with flood relief.

I'd be more than happy for a petrol or income levy to find it.

Also school leavers who served a year could get a nice chuck of their uni fees paid.

IBI

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print