Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ristevski (Read 539 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Ristevski
Dec 7th, 2019 at 8:10am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/borce-ristevski-appeal-over...

Remorseless wife killer Borce Ristevski will spend four years longer behind bars after appeal judges declared his sentence inadequate.

Ristevski, 55, remained silent and stared ahead on the video link as the decision was handed down in the Court of Appeal this morning.

His daughter Sarah, sitting in the back row of the court, showed no emotion as she learnt her father would not see freedom until late 2027.

All three judges agreed Ristevski deserved a tougher penalty for killing his wife Karen at their Avondale Heights home in June 2016, setting aside his nine-year jail term.

But they could not agree on what he should be resentenced to, with a 2-1 majority setting the new sentence at 13 years, with a non-parole period of 10 years.

Justice Priest said he would have set a 12-year term with a chance of parole after nine years.

Justice Anne Ferguson said because Ristevski had not shown “one scintilla” of remorse, they could not take remorse into account as a mitigating factor.

She said there were no other cases like it, but the fact the killing took place in a domestic setting was an aggravating feature.

Justice Ferguson and Justice Simon Whelan observed Ristevski “did not simply maintain his right to silence, but took immediate positive steps to avoid his crime being discovered”.

Justice Priest said “it could be inferred that Mr Ristevski must have thought that the circumstances of the killing were sufficiently serious to warrant disposing of his wife’s body to conceal how she died”.

He considered the nine-year sentence to be “inadequate to reflect the seriousness of the offending”.

In the hearing, which lasted just 12 minutes, Karen’s brother Stephen Williams embraced with his son as he learnt his sister’s killer would be locked up for longer.

Outside court, while happy his sister’s killer would be caged for longer, Mr Williams said justice will never be served.

“It’s as good as a result then we could have got,” he said.

“I wanted capital punishment to be brought back in but that was never going to happen.”

Mr Williams said he believed Ristevski would take to his grave the circumstances of the killing.

He hoped they would now be able to “start moving on”.

Ristevski kept up the pretence that his wife had gone for a walk to clear her head after a disagreement for months after he killed her, appearing with their daughter Sarah in the days afterwards to publicly appeal for help finding her.

By then, he had already disposed of her in the bush, with her body not found until the following February, at a spot northwest of Melbourne just off the Calder Freeway.

The prosecution has argued sentencing judge Christopher Beale did not give sufficient weight to Ristevski’s silence over the killing, and his endless lies to lead police off his trail.

not enough imo....if we weigh up how many years of life he stole from his wife..with no remorse whatever....

Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Re: Ristevski
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 8:35am

Totally agree should have got more!

I think plea bargaining should be banned... just the courts trying to save money!

BAH HUMBUG !!!! Angry Angry Angry

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:24am

to make deal with a "murder suspect"   should be outlawed to down grade it to manslaughter is an insult to everyone....look what this guy did...he even carried her coffin...how bad is that?....not real bad according to our legal system....to me its appalling he will come out with still plenty of life to live.... Angry Angry

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:31am

I feel sorry for the daughter who stood by his side all the way through to him being charged.

She was even in court the other day!

I wonder what she thinks of him now!

That brother of his knows more that has been revealed as well, after him being found by a TV crew up in the mountains close to where her body was found!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:36am

didnt she stand by her father after his trial?....

I dont know what I would feel in a case like that...to think of living that lie all that time...it must be very hard to take it all in..

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:43am

cods wrote on Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:36am:
didnt she stand by her father after his trial?....

I dont know if she did that or not.

Not sure where she stands,

A  brother of Karen came out and condemned the latest sentence as being still to short?

https://7news.com.au/news/court-justice/karen-ristevskis-brother-stephen-respond...

Havent seen any statement from the daughter though!
« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2019 at 9:57am by Redmond Neck »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print