Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Should Australia adopt nuclear weapons? (Read 5832 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: Should Australia adopt nuclear weapons?
Reply #15 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:07pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 12:48pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 11:48am:
I think they would mainly act as a deterent to China attacking us!

I also think we should be developing Nuclear power as a reliable source of electricity especially as we have an abundance of Uranium this would also  enhance our Nuclear industry especially militarily.

I will post out all your white feathers before Christmas!

Mmm, where is China threatening to attacking us?

Let us be realistic here and leave all the hysteria behind.  China lacks for the next 10-15 years the ability to project it's power outside the China Sea (either north, south or west).   It does not have the airpower to support a sustained campaign five thousand kilometres from it's homeland.  It lacks the logistics to do so as well.  Most importantly, it doesn't have the ability to attack and take any capital city in Australia (at the moment).

Yes, it's power is growing but it is growing (as a direct threat to Australia) much slower than most people realise if they don't read the MSM tabloids.  China has not demonstrated the ability to undertake long-range cruises with it's navy beyond a few frigates.

Is that growth worth the billions of dollars that we would have to pay in order to build nuclear weapons?   Is it happening so fast that we need that deterrent immediately?

As for nuclear power, we don't need it.  We have more than sufficient renewable energy to last us nearly for ever.  It is cheaper than nuclear power and has no dangers of fall out or catastrophe.  It does not complicate our relationships with our neighbours.   It does not complicate our relationship with our allies or our "enemies".

If you are concerned about China's ICBMs (as Bobby is), then we should be putting money into "Star Wars" like counter-missile forces (not that they actually work all that well).   If you are that concerned about China's conventional forces, we should be putting money into counter ship missiles and weapons.   Neither causes the complications that nuclear weapons cause.

China is a danger, yes.  However, it is not a direct danger to Australia.  It is as a nation, more of a danger indirectly (ie politically).   We need to build up our cyber defences and of course, our political defences.   Not wasting money on nuclear power and/or weapons.

Maybe we could Neville Chamberlain to
get a piece of paper signed by Xi Jinping?

Well apart from the difficulty that Chamberlain is well and truly dead and buried, Bobby, most people don't understand that at the same time as he was getting that signature, he had agreed that the UK had to rearm, kicking off the largest rearmament programme that, that country has ever seen.  Without that decision, there would not have been as many Spitfires or Hurricanes to defend the UK's airspace when it needed them in 1940.

Oh, and equating what I have said to the vision of Chamberlain as an appeaser?  Silly but of course rather typical of you, Bobby.  Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:08pm

Sydney is already the Shang-Hai of the south.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:09pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 1:52pm:
Aren't we nearly a province of China anyway?

No, we a long, long way from that status.  There is still a long road that the Chinese have to go along before they can tell our Prime Minister to "jump!" And have him reply, "How high, Sir?"  Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:29pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:09pm:

No, we a long, long way from that status.  There is still a long road that the Chinese have to go along before they can tell our Prime Minister to "jump!" And have him reply, "How high, Sir?"  Roll Eyes

Morrison has been doing that since he became PM

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:39pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:29pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:09pm:

Morrison has been doing that since he became PM

Ah, that would explain his and his fellow Muppets' attacks on Chinese policies, now would it?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 4:59pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 2:07pm:
Well apart from the difficulty that Chamberlain is well and truly dead and buried, Bobby, most people don't understand that at the same time as he was getting that signature, he had agreed that the UK had to rearm, kicking off the largest rearmament programme that, that country has ever seen.  Without that decision, there would not have been as many Spitfires or Hurricanes to defend the UK's airspace when it needed them in 1940.

Oh, and equating what I have said to the vision of Chamberlain as an appeaser?  Silly but of course rather typical of you, Bobby.  Roll Eyes

Yes Brian -
I was equating your naive ideas to those of Neville.

"Let us be realistic here and leave all the hysteria behind."

I'm sure Neville thought the same about Hitler.

Hitler made himself a life long leader in a one party
totalitarian state,
Hitler built up a huge army, navy and air force.
Hitler aggressively took over other territories.
Hitler made giant concentration camps where
anyone who didn't agree with him was sent to.

Xi Jinping has done exactly the same.
We need to remember history or
we are condemned to repeat it.

forgiven

namaste

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #21 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:07pm

I have heard similar claims about "remembering history" associated with Nasser, with Saddam, with virtually every dictator the world has seen, Bobby.

I am not saying we should disarm, nor that we don't need to be aware of what the Chinese are doing.  I am questioning if nuclear weapons are the right choice.  It appears that you and Red are simply being Sinophobic in your attitudes.  As I have continually pointed out to you, we are not at war nor is China a declared "enemy".  Trade between Australia and China increased by 18% last year.  Is that how enemies act toward one another?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:12pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:07pm:
I have heard similar claims about "remembering history" associated with Nasser, with Saddam, with virtually every dictator the world has seen, Bobby.

I am not saying we should disarm, nor that we don't need to be aware of what the Chinese are doing.  I am questioning if nuclear weapons are the right choice.  It appears that you and Red are simply being Sinophobic in your attitudes.  As I have continually pointed out to you, we are not at war nor is China a declared "enemy".  Trade between Australia and China increased by 18% last year.  Is that how enemies act toward one another?  Roll Eyes

Germany had massive trade with Russia just before
operation Barbarossa. 22 June 1941.

The reality is that China with a population of 1400 million people
is impossible to defend against with our tiny population of 25 million people.
We are far from Mother England and Uncle Sam in the USA.

China out numbers us 56 to 1.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:18pm

I guess you're the first dickhead here to call someone a Sinophobe.

I know ethnic Chinese who are realistically scared of China's long term intent towards Australia. Are they Sinohobes too?

IBI

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #24 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:31pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:18pm:

I know ethnic Chinese who are realistically scared of China's long term intent towards Australia. Are they Sinohobes too?

Yes.  Is there any reason why they shouldn't have their political viewpoint given a name, Gordon?

Sinophobia is a fear of Chinese or China.   If you express a fear of China or Chinese, you're a Sinophobe.  QED.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #25 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:36pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:31pm:

Yes.  Is there any reason why they shouldn't have their political viewpoint given a name, Gordon?

Sinophobia is a fear of Chinese or China.   If you express a fear of China or Chinese, you're a Sinophobe.  QED.

No, colloquially it means your have an irrational fear.

China is not about to physically invade Australia but they are up to no good.

Retired ASIO chief Duncan Lewis has warned Chinese authorities are trying to "place themselves in a position of advantage" in political, social, business and media circles.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6505500/china-wants-to-take-over-former-a...

IBI

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #26 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:09pm

Bobby. wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:12pm:

Yes but Nukes are a great leveler!

Would they attack Israel  pop 9,000,000 with strong nukes !

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:15pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:09pm:

Yes but Nukes are a great leveler!

Would they attack Israel  pop 9,000,000 with strong nukes !

They don't want Israel.
Nuclear weapons can't be used.
No one wins.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #28 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:48pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:36pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 28th, 2019 at 6:31pm:

No, colloquially it means your have an irrational fear.

China is not about to physically invade Australia but they are up to no good.

Retired ASIO chief Duncan Lewis has warned Chinese authorities are trying to "place themselves in a position of advantage" in political, social, business and media circles.
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6505500/china-wants-to-take-over-former-a...

So, Gordon is what he saying any different to what I am saying?

All I am pointing out is that Nuclear weapons are very, very expensive and not necessarily the panacea that Red and Bobby believe they are.

For this I am told I should be sent a white feather?  Really?

So, when are they going to suggest that Duncan Lewis should be sent a white feather?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #29 - Nov 28th, 2019 at 7:51pm

That was 'cause Stalin didn't believe that Germany would attack in June 1941.  He was expecting an attack in the next year in 1942, which he wanted to pre-empt with his own attack.

Quote:

We not beholden to either "Mother England" or to "Uncle Sam" for anything, Bobby.  A**US is a piece of paper that has proved basically worthless to us.

The Chinese population is nearly all in China, Bobby.  They are only a threat to those countries on mainland Asia which surround it.  They lack, as I keep pointing out the means and the ability to project their power to Australia.  Time to stop running 'round like a chook with it's head cut off.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print