Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Capitalism....so awesome (Read 2354 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Capitalism....so awesome
Reply #45 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:28pm

freediver wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 3:05pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 2:57pm:
freediver wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 2:28pm:
Quote:
The answer to both questions is China's top-down decision to implement capitalist practices WITHOUT democracy.

How does that, rather than the ability of party members to vote in changes without massive bloodshed, explain their ability to achieve "seismic purges" without massive bloodshed? Are you suggesting capitalism prevents violence?

Also, the CPC's internal democracy came prior to the transition to capitalism. The transition would not have been possible without it. So not only does your answer not make sense, it rests on a refusal to acknowledge reality.

Quote:
That is one of the central lessons of the early 21st century.

You never got round to explaining what the lesson is. Is the lesson nothing more than a bunch of stuff that happened? That we must hide the wood with lots of trees?

Quote:
Democracy is one thing, free trade is another. Technological innovation and improved human conditions is another thing too. The Chinese have been able to improve their living standards without democracy or a free economy, just as the Soviets once did under Stalin.

So you are literally using Russia to disprove the link between democracy, capitalism and wealth? Do you realise how stupid that looks?

Are you still denying that the Chinese communist party is internally democratic? And adding to that a denial that they are transitioning to capitalism?

When does reality ever creep in to your world view?

The CPC's transition to capitalism was preceded by the Cultural Revolution, dear.

If you're trying to win an argument by referring to the internal structure of the Chinese Communist Party, you've missed the entire point of democracy.

That's about voters choosing between multiple parties.

Karnal you are dumbing this down to the point where democracy is a binary transition. But none of these transitions are. No country has ever flicked a switch from dictatorship to democracy, capitalism, liberalism etc. You are still arguing with a person in your head who does not exist anywhere else, countering an argument that no-one is making. You have missed the entire point of Acemoglu's argument, by replacing it with your own idiotic strawman. I can win the argument by referring to the CPC's internal democracy, because that is what my point is.

China is different from North Korea. It's transition to capitalism (and the relatively bloodless purges your refer to) is only possible because the internal democracy of the Chinese Communist Party made this extraordinary hypocrisy possible. And the granting of economic freedoms to the people is causing and will continue to cause many other changes, including an increase in wealth and greater demands for other types of rights and freedoms.

You have a choice now. You can continue the idiotic argument of countering that this is not happening unless it all happens overnight, or you can respond to what I actually posted. Third time lucky eh?

Or I can make this easy on myself and agree with you, eh?

Pretending China is democratic to win an argument about capitalism is pretty short-sighted, FD. Of course China has developed in the past 30 years - it's the fastest economic transition we've yet seen. What's interesting about this is that it's been done with no form of democracy whatsoever. A prosperous middle class has arisen in China with no free media, no political opposition and no consistent rule of law beyond the will of the party.

At least Britain and America had a free press during capitalism's "golden age". In China, even the internet's censored.

Now I know you want to hold onto your old uni essay argument until grim death, but the purpose of our discussions here are to learn new things. China has certainly applied capitalism, and done very nicely with it, but it has not democratised one iota since Deng Xiou Peng's reforms.

You may recall the anniversary of Tienanmen Square passing recently in silence, and no wonder. Just putting the words Tienenmen Square massacre in a Chinese search engine could see a visit from the cops.

So stop playing dumb. China is the very proof that democracy and capitalism do not go hand in hand. Learn from this and move on. The rest of us, once living in hope just like you, have.

« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:35pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:36pm

Quote:
Or I can make this easy on myself and agree with you, eh?

You can speed it up by disagreeing with what I actually say, not some idiotic misrepresentation of it...

Quote:
Pretending China is democratic

...like this

Quote:
What's interesting about it is that it hasn't been done with any form of democracy whatsoever.

Earth to Karnal. The CPC is internally democratic. That's why the the Communist Party of China is embracing capitalism, but the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is not.

Quote:
China has certainly applied capitalism, and done very nicely with it, but it has not democratised one iota since Deng Xiou Peng's reforms.

I am not saying it has. You are still skirting around what I am actually saying, but you are getting closer to agreeing with me. Now, would you agree that it democratised some iotas prior to then, and that this enabled the transition to capitalism?

Why do you keep choosing idiocy Karnal?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:43pm

Why do you keep quote-bombing and retorting with dumb one-liners?

You know China's not democratic. If you were so big on the "internal structure" of the Communist Party, you'd be praising communism for the rise of China.

And do you know? If you thought it would win you a few points, I think you would.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #48 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:45pm

Quote:

It's a last attempt to get you to respond to what I actually post. Is one line at a time too complicated for you?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:56pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 6:48pm:
Jasin wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 4:46pm:
Dnarever wrote on Nov 17th, 2019 at 4:40pm:
Capitalism marginally less flawed than communism.

Communism would work splendidly in Australia
- unlike Russia, where it failed.

Our 'working class' Egalitarianism is just the same turd with a different smell to Communism.

www.COM...munism

Rubbish we have been moving further and further to the right for decades now.

In the 50's and 60's we had a good well balance combination of the best aspects of both systems however greed and power has pushed us further and further towards the capitalist model year after year. We have gone backwards.

very true....when Ifirst came here    most lefties didnt own their own home   a lot had them provided   govy.. mining..all sort provided their workers with homes.....

and I believe the Labor Party preferred that.... they thought all home owners were capitalists...in other words  un labor

dna there is greed all around us.. it isnt just corp CEOs 

did you see where Bill shorten has moved up market.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes he is in a far more elite area now... Smiley Smiley more to his liking I guess...

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 6:41pm

freediver wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 4:45pm:
Quote:

It's a last attempt to get you to respond to what I actually post. Is one line at a time too complicated for you?

Of course. Who wants to respond to a bunch of lines?

This is your way of avoiding discussion.

Cunning, no? You've just done just that.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #51 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 7:50pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 6:41pm:
Quote:

Just respond to the odd lines and start at the bottom - That'l fix his little red wagon.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 12:35pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 7:50pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 6:41pm:
Quote:

Just respond to the odd lines and start at the bottom - That'l fix his little red wagon.

Or we can do the Spineless Apologetics routine and provide evidence of what FD himself believes. 

freediver wrote on Nov 18th, 2019 at 3:19pm:
This reminds me of Abu's argument that Islam is entirely consistent with democracy. Just a "different type" of democracy, in which only muslims can vote, only Muslims can run for office, and Shariah law is the only platform you can run on.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print