Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Race and dating - there are racial differences (Read 24902 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Race and dating - there are racial differences
Reply #30 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:03pm

Frank wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:34pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 7:47pm:
I have explained to you numerous times my argument, Soren.  If your head is too deeply submerged in your arse to understand it, that is no fault of mine.  Genetics proves who we are and who we are is Homo Sapien Sapiens - the human race.  There is only one species, all the "races" are mere superficial evolutionary adaptations to local environmental conditions.  Racism relies on those superficial evolutionary adaptations and attempts to use them to classify people into different groups and a hierarchy of "races" which do not exist.  You harp on about those groups as if they actually mean something other than what you have conferred to them, Soren. Your ignorance and your foolishness shines forth in every post you make.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Your argument is self-contradictory and ultimately empty and meanigless. It is nothing but a misunderstanding and a confusion of, among many other stupidities, race and species. As if anyone other than you have used these categories interchangably.

Everyone recognises that there are different races, including you.  The whole SBS Insight program was about that.  None of it ever meant that they are all different species.

I have explained to you numerous times my argument, Soren.  If your head is too deeply submerged in your arse to understand it, that is no fault of mine.  If anybody is confused, it is Racists like yourself, Soren.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #31 - Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:34pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:03pm:
I have explained to you numerous times my argument, Soren.  If your head is too deeply submerged in your arse to understand it, that is no fault of mine.  Genetics proves who we are and who we are is Homo Sapien Sapiens - the human race.  There is only one species, all the "races" are mere superficial evolutionary adaptations to local environmental conditions.  Racism relies on those superficial evolutionary adaptations and attempts to use them to classify people into different groups and a hierarchy of "races" which do not exist.  You harp on about those groups as if they actually mean something other than what you have conferred to them, Soren. Your ignorance and your foolishness shines forth in every post you make.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Your argument is self-contradictory and ultimately empty and meanigless. It is nothing but a misunderstanding and a confusion of, among many other stupidities, race and species. As if anyone other than you have used these categories interchangably.

Everyone recognises that there are different races, including you.  The whole SBS Insight program was about that.  None of it ever meant that they are all different species.

I have explained to you numerous times my argument, Soren.  If your head is too deeply submerged in your arse to understand it, that is no fault of mine.  If anybody is confused, it is Racists like yourself, Soren.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I see... If people can't understand what you are saying, it's their fault, not yours. You on the other hand have no fault. Way to build yourself to be the most intelligent person in your own mind. You know, even if you abolish the word race and replace it with ancestry, we will be in the same place because what people call race is ancestry. Just because something is a social construct does not mean it does not exist, in fact it becoming a social construct creates it's existence. Does money exist or us it just a social construct for the exchange of goods and services?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #32 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 11:38am

Setanta wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:34pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Nov 15th, 2019 at 10:03pm:

I see... If people can't understand what you are saying, it's their fault, not yours. You on the other hand have no fault. Way to build yourself to be the most intelligent person in your own mind. You know, even if you abolish the word race and replace it with ancestry, we will be in the same place because what people call race is ancestry. Just because something is a social construct does not mean it does not exist, in fact it becoming a social construct creates it's existence. Does money exist or us it just a social construct for the exchange of goods and services?

Yet another person who has failed to understand what I have been saying.  Roll Eyes

I have not abolished anything.  I have merely pointed out the errors in the concept of "race" as used by Racists.  Genetics has destroyed that.  There is effectively no difference, Genetically, between the so-called "races" as defined by the Racists.   "Race" as a concept used by Racists is a social construct, relying upon superficial evolutionary adaptations to suit local environmental conditions to differentiate between people.   White people evolved white skin because they needed to absorb more Vitamin D than than did Black people who lived closer to the equator.  Asian people evolved epicanthic folds because they needed to survived the glare and dust of the central Asian plains and so on and so on.  "Race" is used by Racists to justify their domination over people who do not fit their definition of perfection.  Racists have invented a hierarchy of "races" that does not exist.  There is only one "race" - the human one, which we are all members of.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 3:51pm

Bwian, you insist on narrowing it down to one aspect of racial differences, genetics, as if there was nothing else to human differences but genetics.

But of course nobody, not even you, operate along genetic lines but along SOCIAL and PERSONAl and CULTURAL lines. At those levels, race is very significant to everyone and no genetics will ever override the social and personal and cultural for anyone.

From that Insight program:

Jennifer Lundquist is a US-based sociologist who has studied racial preferences in online dating. The study found that race plays a big part in people's decisions about who they choose to contact and respond to online. It found that heterosexual men of all races respond to all women except for African-American, and that women of all races respond first to Caucasian men.

Ida Harding
Ida Harding migrated to Australia from Ghana at the age of four. Despite growing up and going to school with mostly white people, Ida has never dated someone from a different racial background. "I think my preference is for black men and that's simply because I don't want to be someone's fantasy or fetish," she says. "You want someone who dates you because they like who you are."

John and Edelisa Carroll
John and Edelisa met on a dating site called FilipinoCupid. After three months of chatting online, John proposed to Edelisa – before they'd met in person. John specifically sought out an Asian woman for a partner because "Asian women treat western men better than a white woman might". Edelisa thought a western man would be "better than a Filipino husband" because they're more responsible and provide better for their children.

Rudo Banya
Rudo Banya says she's never been attracted to black men. She's only ever dated white men. She thinks it's partly because her aunties used to tell her how "rubbish" black men were and told her to "make better choices". Rudo says it is not racist to be attracted to one race over another, it's just a preference.

Han and Sophie Song
When Han Song first met Sophie in a pub, he thought she was gorgeous ... but he didn't think he stood a chance. "I thought oh well, I'm Asian, probably she's not interested." He was wrong. Despite big language barriers, the two hit it off. Han had only dated Korean women in the past and thought dating a white woman was "a fantasy". Sophie found Asian men attractive but says it was shared values that was most important.

Professor Bill Von Hippel
Bill Von Hippel is an evolutionary psychologist. He says "multi-ethnic coupling" will become increasingly more common as time goes by – it's an inevitable consequence of the proximity of so many races in the same place. He also says there are evolutionary reasons why people of mixed-race would be seen as the most attractive.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/insight/tvepisode/dating-race_1

Not a single word about genetics anywhere in these blurbs OR in the program itself. Not a single word.  It is solely your obsession to cover up your militant insistence on being arrow-minded and obstinate. You insist on ignoring how people ACTUALLY interact.  For you, everyone ELSE is driving on the wrong side of the road.  That's what 'Bwianesque' actually means.  Winki

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:14pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 2:14pm:
rhino wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 10:22pm:
well that shut Brian up.

Has it?  Can't read your article 'cause it insists that I turn off my ad blocker - something I refuse to do.

Until you post the full article I suspect I'll never read it, Rhino.  Roll Eyes
Lol. You know the article demolishes your claims because you insist that being able to interbreed defines race, it doesn't and it destroys your whole argument. You know that and that's why you ran away when I posted it. You have read it Brian , cut the cr@p.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:21pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 2:14pm:
rhino wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 10:22pm:
well that shut Brian up.

Has it?  Can't read your article 'cause it insists that I turn off my ad blocker - something I refuse to do.

Until you post the full article I suspect I'll never read it, Rhino.  Roll Eyes

Here it is, Bwian.
A Long-Busted Myth: It's Not True That Animals Belonging To Different Species Can Never Interbreed

Michael Marshall Contributor   Science  I write about evolutionary biology, earth science and the environment

On 22 August, an astonishing discovery was reported. A sliver of bone from a cave in Russia turned out to belong to a hominin, one that was utterly unprecedented. Denny, as she is known to the scientists who are studying her, was a first-generation hybrid. Her mother was a Neanderthal and her father a Denisovan. She was a child of two species. The findings were reported in Nature.
I covered this discovery, as did many others, and within hours the question arrived: "I thought the definition of a species was that they couldn't interbreed?"
Many people seem to believe that animals belonging to different species cannot breed together, and that this is what defines a species. I suspect many of us acquire the idea in childhood when we learn about mules. The offspring of a horse and a donkey, a mule is a useful working animal but is entirely sterile and incapable of breeding. We all seem to generalise from this and assume that no interspecies pairings can produce fertile offspring.
This is not just a piece of folk science. The biologist Ernst Mayr proposed in 1942 that a species is a population of organisms that can all interbreed with each other, and which either cannot or do not interbreed with anything else. This idea became known as the Biological Species Concept, and evidently many of us learn it as fact.
The thing is, Mayr's idea is not accepted as the be-all-and-end-all by other biologists. Instead, the problem of how to define a species is still being argued about today, 76 years after Mayr published his definition.
Let's come back to mules. They are not a terribly good example of what happens when two species interbreed. Horses have 64 chromosomes and donkeys 62, so when the two breed their mule offspring ends up with 63. Because this is an odd number, it's impossible for them to divide evenly into two. That means the mule cannot produce sperm and egg cells that carry exactly half the animal's chromosomes, as should happen. When these defective sex cells are fused with those of another mule, the resulting embryo is likely to have crucial chunks of its DNA missing, and will not be viable.
However, many distinct species have the same numbers of chromosomes. For instance, all great apes (apart from humans) have a total of 48 chromosomes, arranged in 24 pairs. All else being equal, that means it ought to be easier for them to interbreed than it is for horses and donkeys.
So it has proved. Chimpanzees and bonobos have interbred several times since their populations split a few million years ago, and the bonobo genome also carries DNA that seems to have come from a third, unidentified species. Other ape pairings don't seem to have happened, but that might be partly because they live in separate habitats and don't meet: orangutans are confined to Borneo and Sumatra, and are unlikely to encounter gorillas and chimpanzees from Africa. But the idea captivates people: there are long-standing (unsubstantiated) rumours of a chimpanzee-gorilla hybrid called the koolakamba or kooloo-kamba.
Similarly, human evolution was rife with interspecies sex. Modern humans have interbred with both Neanderthals and Denisovans, Neanderthals and Denisovans interbred, and Denisovans interbred with an unidentified hominin. There is reason to suspect that the first-generation hybrids had some health issues, such as reduced fertility, but they were evidently able to get by well enough to leave descendants. Today many people carry some Neanderthal and/or Denisovan DNA.
This illustrates the problem with Mayr's species concept: where do you draw the line? If two animals can produce offspring, but that offspring's fertility is reduced by 10 per cent, are the parents members of different species? What about a 20 per cent drop in fertility - or a 10 per cent drop in fertility combined with a 20 per cent reduction in average lifespan? We could insist that the offspring be 100 per cent infertile, but that would mean collapsing a lot of species that we currently think of as distinct, beginning with chimpanzees and bonobos. Insisting that no offspring are produced at all would destroy even more distinctions.
Species are often separated, not by reproductive anatomy or courtship habit, but by geography - and those separations are reversible. In the lakes of the European Alps, pollution has caused oxygen levels to crash in the deeper waters, forcing the species that once lived there to move closer to the surface. There they have begun hybridising with longstanding surface-dwellers. These species had been separated for millions of years, but they weren't distinct enough to be unable to breed.
In fact it has been estimated that 88 per cent of all fish species could hybridise with at least one other, given the opportunity. The same may be true of 55 per cent of all mammals.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 5:21pm

This hybridisation has a mixed environmental legacy. On the one hand, extinct species are not quite gone, because their DNA lives on. This is true of Neanderthals, and on Monday it emerged that it is also true of cave bears, whose DNA lives on in brown bears whose ancestors mated with the cave bears. Many of us would see that preservation as being somehow good.

But on the flip side hybridisation can also destroy species if two distinct groups breed so much that they blur together. This is what has happened to many of the fish in the Alpine lakes, and it may be the fate of polar bears if they are driven south by melting ice and begin interbreeding with other bears in a big way.

The lesson is that we should not become too wedded to concepts that we ourselves created. The idea of a "species" is a human construct, and while it's useful it doesn't map neatly onto nature. In this respect it is like the concept of "life", which most of us intuitively understand but would struggle to define. Or consider this philosophical passage from science fiction writer H. G. Wells:

"Take the word chair. When one says chair, one thinks vaguely of an average chair. But collect individual instances, think of armchairs and reading chairs, and dining-room chairs and kitchen chairs, chairs that pass into benches, chairs that cross the boundary and become settees, dentists’ chairs, thrones, opera stalls, seats of all sorts, those miraculous fungoid growths that cumber the floor of the Arts and Crafts Exhibition, and you will perceive what a lax bundle in fact is this simple straightforward term. In co-operation with an intelligent joiner I would undertake to defeat any definition of chair or chairishness that you gave me."

Other human concepts can be more tightly defined and delineated, but they're normally found in physics, not biology. There is no blurry dividing line between an up quark and a down quark, but there really is a halfway house between a horse and a donkey.

Finally, here is a truly exasperating fact. Once in a blue moon, mules do reproduce.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelmarshalleurope/2018/08/28/a-long-busted-myth...

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #37 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:03pm

Another site that insists I turn my ad blocker off, Soren.  Tsk, tsk.  Not going to happen.

As for different species being unable to interbreed, well I don't think I have claimed that.  Are you suggesting that the different "races" are actually differing species, Soren?  Really?  What about you, Rhino?

All the "races" of humanity are all members of the one "race", the human one, Homo Sapien Sapiens.  There are significant differences between individuals but nothing that prevents them from interbreeding.   Racists believe that the different "races" are significant because one individual has a darker skin than another or an epicanthic fold or thicker lips or kinky hair, etc.  In reality, as I keep pointing out, these are just local evolutionary adaptations, nothing more.  Below the skin level/eyes/lips/etc. we are all members of the one species and no matter how much you seek to deny that, Soren all you are doing is spouting Racist nonsense.

Quote:
Racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another.[1][2][3] It may also mean prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against other people because they are of a different race or ethnicity.[1][2] Modern variants of racism are often based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. These views can take the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems in which different races are ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities.[1][2][4]

In terms of political systems (e.g., apartheid) that support the expression of prejudice or aversion in discriminatory practices or laws, racist ideology may include associated social aspects such as nativism, xenophobia, otherness, segregation, hierarchical ranking, and supremacism.

While the concepts of race and ethnicity are considered to be separate in contemporary social science, the two terms have a long history of equivalence in both popular usage and older social science literature. "Ethnicity" is often used in a sense close to one traditionally attributed to "race": the division of human groups based on qualities assumed to be essential or innate to the group (e.g. shared ancestry or shared behavior). Therefore, racism and racial discrimination are often used to describe discrimination on an ethnic or cultural basis, independent of whether these differences are described as racial. According to a United Nations convention on racial discrimination, there is no distinction between the terms "racial" and "ethnic" discrimination. The UN convention further concludes that superiority based on racial differentiation is scientifically false, morally condemnable, socially unjust and dangerous. It also declared that there is no justification for racial discrimination, anywhere, in theory or in practice.[5]

Historically, racism was a major driving force behind the Atlantic slave trade.[6] It was also a major force behind racial segregation especially in the United States in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and South Africa under apartheid; 19th and 20th century racism in Western culture is particularly well documented and constitutes a reference point in studies and discourses about racism.[7] Racism has played a role in genocides such as the Holocaust, and the Armenian genocide, and colonial projects like the European colonization of the Americas, Africa, and Asia. Indigenous peoples have been –and are– often subject to racist attitudes.

[Source]

Attitudes which you, Soren are only too willing to display.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:32pm

you have stated many times Brian that the proof of us all being one race is the ability to interbreed. as you now know and didn't know before that it means nothing , in fact different species can interbreed.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:37pm

Species is not race or breed.  You have different breeds and races within many species - men, dogs, cats, pigs, chickens, dogs, not to mention plant species and so on.

Species is not race or breed.  DON'T confuse them, bwian.  Don't insist on being an uncomprehending knob. We know you like to but you have come to the end of that particular idiotic mania regarding races (one thing) and species (another thing). Stop conflating two different things, neither of which you understand.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:03pm:
Another site that insists I turn my ad blocker off, Soren.  Tsk, tsk.  Not going to happen.

As for different species being unable to interbreed, well I don't think I have claimed that.  Are you suggesting that the different "races" are actually differing species, Soren?  Really?  What about you, Rhino?

All the "races" of humanity are all members of the one "race", the human one, Homo Sapien Sapiens. 

Homo sapiens is a species, Bwian, not a race.  Stop being an idiot.

You won't, of course. There would be nothing left of you if you did. Carry on being Bwianesque, Bwian. That's what you have been put on this earth for, after all, to be a hideous lesson to the rest of us.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #41 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:10pm

Frank wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:02pm:

All the "races" of humanity are all members of the one "race", the human one, Homo Sapien Sapiens. 

You won't, of course. There would be nothing left of you if you did. Carry on being Bwianesque, Bwian. That's what you have been put on this earth for, after all, to be a hideous lesson to the rest of us.

It appears once more my words have fallen on deaf ears, Soren.  Run along, go and play in the little kiddies' playground where you belong.  You are a fool and it shows.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:17pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:10pm:
Frank wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:02pm:

https://comicvine1.cbsistatic.com/uploads/original/12/128170/2467911-yawn_20smil...

It appears once more my words have fallen on deaf ears, Soren.  Run along, go and play in the little kiddies' playground where you belong.  You are a fool and it shows.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

Thick as treacle in mince in cement = Bwian.

You have been discredited once again and now you are doing the gweggy slippin' and slidin' yeah but no but routine.

You are a liar and an idiot: you lie when you are caught out being an idiot and act like an idiot when you are put on the spot for lying.

Now please F orf.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #43 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:43pm

Grin

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #44 - Nov 16th, 2019 at 8:46pm

rhino wrote on Nov 16th, 2019 at 7:32pm:
you have stated many times Brian that the proof of us all being one race is the ability to interbreed. as you now know and didn't know before that it means nothing , in fact different species can interbreed.

The evidence for that is very slight.  You have no idea how closely related the Denisovans and Humanity were, Rhino.  You have no idea how difficult it was for them to interbreed. I have no idea.  I am quite willing to admit my ignorance on that issue, are you?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print