Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lift The Super Guarantee To 12 Percent (Read 538 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Lift The Super Guarantee To 12 Percent
Nov 12th, 2019 at 5:02am

What workers really think about their superannuation payments

Many workers don’t bother thinking about their superannuation savings but that doesn’t mean they don’t want it. A new study shows what they want.

November 10, 2019
News.com.au

Young adults and low-income earners have a clear message for those wanting to fiddle with Australia’s retirement saving rules: Leave our super alone.

Amid calls by some politicians to halt the rise of compulsory superannuation and let low-income workers take their super as extra income instead, a new survey suggests employees are savvier than many might think.

Only one quarter would rather have the money now than in their super, according to the Essential Research survey commissioned by the Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees.

And just one in 10 disagree with the government policy of lifting compulsory employer super payments to 12 per cent of wages by 2025.

The current rate of 9.5 per cent is set to rise to 10 per cent in July 2021.

Independent think tank the Grattan Institute is against lifting the super guarantee to 12 per cent, as is a group of Coalition politicians.

And Liberal senator Andrew Bragg wants super to be voluntary for workers earning less than $50,000 and to allow their employer contributions to be refunded.

The Federal Government says it has no plans to change the 12 per cent target.

However, all facets of super are likely to be examined in the retirement income review currently under way.

Australian Institute of Superannuation Trustees CEO Eva Scheerlinck said the survey suggested a significant number of young workers and low-income earners were worried about having enough money in retirement.

“There is no justification for excluding any worker from benefiting from 12 per cent super, but it is particularly important for people on low incomes, those working part-time or those who have taken time out of paid work as carers,” she said.

The age pension currently pays a maximum of $933.40 per fortnight to a single or $1407 a fortnight to a couple.

Every $5000 someone has in superannuation is enough to boost their retirement income by $200 a fortnight for a year.

Ms Scheerlinck said people were unconvinced by claims that freezing compulsory super would deliver them a pay rise.

“It is farcical to assume, as some MPs have suggested, that workers will receive a pay rise if the SG is frozen,” she said.

Wealth on Track principal Steve Greatrex said putting a lid on super rises so employers could pay higher wages was “impractical”.

“The truth is a lot of employers won’t pay them more,” he said.

“At least if it’s in the superannuation system people have rights.”

Mr Greatrex said low-income workers needed super to improve their retirement just as much as others.

“We are a wealthy country and it’s a good way of sharing the wealth around more evenly.

Super fund fees have been under fire for being among the highest in the world, but Mr Greatrex said there was pressure from regulators to cut costs for members.

“We read about high-fee funds, but there’s a lot of funds out there that are competitive,” he said.

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Re: Lift The Super Guarantee To 12 Percent
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 6:47am

Unfortunately the super guarantee will not go up under this mob of aceholes. The only thing that will go up is parliamentry salaries and allowances.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:03am

The silly old BlackDay has Compulsive Posting Disorder.

He feels a compulsive need to keep re-posting the same silly rubbish about 30 times to try to fill the aching hole in his unwell mind.  Is he going senile ? Is he suffering posting fatigue ?

Or is he just neurotically fearful of his Newstart ?

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:15am

juliar wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:03am:
The silly old BlackDay has Compulsive Posting Disorder.

He feels a compulsive need to keep re-posting the same silly rubbish about 30 times to try to fill the aching hole in his unwell mind.  Is he going senile ? Is he suffering posting fatigue ?

Or is he just neurotically fearful of his Newstart ?

The hypocrisy in the quoted post is enormous.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:18am

Quote:
Ms Scheerlinck said people were unconvinced by claims that freezing compulsory super would deliver them a pay rise.

“It is farcical to assume, as some MPs have suggested, that workers will receive a pay rise if the SG is frozen,” she said.

The SG has been frozen for the entire term of this government and wage rises have been at record low levels for much of this time. It is wishful thinking to suggest that workers will receive pay rises with a frozen SG.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:23am

Bammy is really angry as Labor slips further under as they rip their innards out trying to work out why the voters shoved them into the garbage.

And Shifty Shorty swore at a Lib staffer. Shorty is coming apart at the seams. Will Chloe divorce him ?

The pressure is getting to Shattered old Shorty.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:59am

Yep, needs to go to at least 12%.

I salary sacrificed into my super and I am very glad that I did so.  Cool

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 10:13am

Capt N, ignoring your Greeny errors, If someone has a bit of financial acumen they can invest the money themselves and be clear of the Super leeches who usually do a lousy job of investing.

The money in the hand is more use to poorer people than wasting it in some poorly performing Super company. And those poorer people usually get a pension at the end anyway.

Labor wants to increase super to pour your money into Industrial Super to feed the almost bankrupt unions with no members anymore.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #8 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:24pm

My super was raped and pillaged for years by the super thieves.

Insurance scams, administration fees etc etc.

only the last 18 years have I really started putting serious money away.
That and the negotiated 15% company contribution and my percentage to bring my contributions to the max "allowed".

If the grubberment was serious they would allow me to put more into super so I could support myself better into retirement.
As it is, I put a shiteload into other investments which I cannot add to my super.

The politicians and senior public serve us don't have this problem.
Retiring on a guaranteed indexed pension, they live comfortably into their greed ridden retirement.

Our very own super creep, john "the coward" howard spends nearly $1,000,000.00 a year in his over funded retirement.
I just wish he would drop dead and let the world be a better place with his passing.

and he can then live for eternity in the deepest depths of hell.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:41pm

Valkie wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:24pm:
My super was raped and pillaged for years by the super thieves.

Insurance scams, administration fees etc etc.

only the last 18 years have I really started putting serious money away.
That and the negotiated 15% company contribution and my percentage to bring my contributions to the max "allowed".

If the grubberment was serious they would allow me to put more into super so I could support myself better into retirement.
As it is, I put a shiteload into other investments which I cannot add to my super.

The politicians and senior public serve us don't have this problem.
Retiring on a guaranteed indexed pension, they live comfortably into their greed ridden retirement.

Our very own super creep, john "the coward" howard spends nearly $1,000,000.00 a year in his over funded retirement.
I just wish he would drop dead and let the world be a better place with his passing.

and he can then live for eternity in the deepest depths of hell.

If you like the benefits public servants and politicians receive, why don't you become one yourself?

It doesn't matter how stupid or evil you are, anyone can become a politician.

Exhibits A, B and C:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 6:39pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:41pm:

What explains your evil and your stupidity, Turd?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:33pm

Frank wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 6:39pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:41pm:

What explains your evil and your stupidity, Turd?

Are you blind ? there is a big picture full of it.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:44pm

Frank is not too impressed with the old Gweggy who specializes in FAKE NEWS and thinks the unions are still run by Pommy Shop Stewards.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 5:20pm

juliar wrote on Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:44pm:
Frank is not too impressed with the old Gweggy who specializes in FAKE NEWS and thinks the unions are still run by Pommy Shop Stewards.

Is anyone but coprophiliacs like miam-miaming Karnal impressed by Turd?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print