The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: FIRES
Reply #105 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 9:23pm

lee wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 9:08pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 8:56pm:
My post already answers your stupid questions.

Longterm rainfall deficiencies, depending on level, may be an indicator of drought.

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 8:32pm:
But drought certainly makes them a lot worse and harder to put out.

Drought does not make anything worse. if the fuel load is dry it will burn. if there is a buildup of fuel load the fires will have greater intensity. Drought or no drought.

So you are saying that the fact that all our major bushfires have happened during droughts is just a "coincidence"  Grin Grin Grin
Wow lee that's pretty stupid even for you.
Clearly you are just arguing for the sake of it because you are making no sense at all.

It's also a fact that for much of NSW and southern Queensland it has been the driest 6 months on record.

driest 6 months on record isn't just a "deficiency"

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #106 - Nov 13th, 2019 at 9:28pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
So you are saying that the fact that all our major bushfires have happened during droughts is just a "coincidence" 

You really are stupid. I didn't say that. Is major the same as worse? You seem to be trying to pick nits. Grin Grin Grin Grin

The_Barnacle wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 9:23pm:
driest 6 months on record isn't just a "deficiency"

According to BoM it is. "Rainfall deficiencies 6 months" Wink

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #107 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:07am

Gnads wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 11:42am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 10:37am:
BTW a big part of why the Australian bushfures spread so fast is the eucalyptus. It explodes and the wind carries fireballs. In 2008 I was in terry hills Sydney when there was a fire 2km away.. I saw a fireball hit across the road and start a new fire.

Spot

So was it caused by Climate Change back then?

Where did i say that? Australia used to be unique with the eucalyptus problem but california has them now (idiots). My point is that we in australia have to be careful because of this problem and i wasnt talking about climate change.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #108 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:39am

I know its hard for you all to cope with - but you're all pretty right.

Yes... its because of
A Drought spell (rained very well after 2011 in Rural NSW for a number of years) since 2016 (although Farmers still call drought even when it rains heavily).

Eucalyptus - that need 'Fire' to germinate, along with other species.

The good Rain years since 2011 growing a lot of 'scrub' undergrowth.
Whitey Politicians (the Green ones too) - not burning it back to any great 'extreme' of effort.
Aboriginals not doing their 40,000 year tried and tested 'Smoking Ceremonies' ( Cheesy) of consistent 'small-mini-burns' that left Forests with nothing but 'grass' for the Roos, Emus, etc.

Area just up the road has been back-burned by Whitey. It got rid of the scrub undergrowth, but now the floor of the Bush is just all leaves, twigs and branches (no grass for Roos who come into Surburban lawns for grass) - untouched and ready to fuel a Wild-Fire.

We must just accept that the Chinese Economy (the Cashed-Up One) and USA Economy (the Cashless One) - is way more important than paying people here to consistently keep Australia 'in check'.

...Because Whitey's next step is to cut down all the trees and turn Australia into the Middle-East (no fires there).

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:00am

AaronCRescue wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 7:26pm:
Arson is a serious crime. IF somebody started this, they should be tried for MURDER, regardless of the age of the perp.

Yes .... but how about some responsibility by politicians & bureaucrats for the wholesale neglect that has allowed the build up of so much ground fuel?

That didn't get there because of Climate Change  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:13am

Gnads wrote on Nov 13th, 2019 at 6:08pm:

Droughts don't cause fires either dipstick.

The catastrophic levels these fires have reached is because of gross mismanagement of crown land.

Get that through your skull.

I watched Richard Di Nadickhead in the Senate today & all he could do was crap on about climate change .....

all the while ignoring the fact that his party policies on National Parks, state forests & reserves .... plus the vegetation management plans imposed on landholders by state & local govt because of green influence & climate change ideology .... that you don't touch the vegetation is squarely in his court for the severity of these outcomes.

But no he tries to score political points against the govt to take the heat off him & his mobs responsibility.

To him & you I say farcough .... get ya fire fighting gear on & get out & help .. you big TNUCs.

Talking crap as usual Gnads

No one is saying that drought CAUSES fires. But drought certainly makes them a lot worse and harder to put out.

It is also disingenuous of you to blame bad land management. The fact is that there is only a small window every year when it is safe to do controlled burns, even less in drought years.

It's also a fact that for much of NSW and southern Queensland it has been the driest 6 months on record.

That's exactly what they're saying ... the drought is caused by climate change therefore it's the main reason for the fires.

Of course it's bad land management ... local & state govts lock up the land .... a lot of it formally leased & used by graziers to run cattle .... the cattle also keep that fuel load down.

And in a time of drought wouldn't you think it a good idea to allow grazing starving stock in our National Parks & State Forests when there is no feed anywhere else?

As for the small windows of opportunity for slow burn hazard reduction .... Rangers know that & so do private landowners .....

yet govt depts pussy foot around for weeks/months approving permits ... and by the time they are issued it's to late.

That's exactly what caused the devastation in fires last year north of Bundaberg to Bororen.

There was rain 6 to 8 weeks prior that made conditions ideal .... but the permits did not come until too late.

That's bad management.

Who's really being disingenuous.  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #111 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:17am

If you own a property and let it become completely overgrown the council will declare it a health hazard and Will issue a court order that you must clean it up.

If the government have a property be that a state forest or national park they need to hold themselves to the same principle.

It is quite obvious that allowing the undergrowth to become completely overgrown is it health hazard.

In these times of drought it would certainly be beneficial to allow cattle in to clean up some of the fuel load

I heard an insane story yesterday

Farmers below the snowy River catchment were given warnings to move stock to higher ground due to the temporary flooding caused by an environmental release down the snowy River

they are not allowed to touch any of this water for irrigation obviously

So starving drought-ridden stock might be swept away in a greenie inspired release of valuable water

It's certainly about time the avocado and latte-sipping inner city intellectual greens were completely removed from any input into the management of the bush

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:20am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:07am:
BTW a big part of why the Australian bushfures spread so fast is the eucalyptus. It explodes and the wind carries fireballs. In 2008 I was in terry hills Sydney when there was a fire 2km away.. I saw a fireball hit across the road and start a new fire.

Spot

Where did i say that? Australia used to be unique with the eucalyptus problem but california has them now (idiots). My point is that we in australia have to be careful because of this problem and i wasnt talking about climate change.

Spot

Well durrrrh......

and in general that's common knowledge... and most people are.

living in a forest has it's risks.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #113 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:23am

Jasin wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 6:39am:
I know its hard for you all to cope with - but you're all pretty right.

Yes... its because of
A Drought spell (rained very well after 2011 in Rural NSW for a number of years) since 2016 (although Farmers still call drought even when it rains heavily).

Eucalyptus - that need 'Fire' to germinate, along with other species.

The good Rain years since 2011 growing a lot of 'scrub' undergrowth.
Whitey Politicians (the Green ones too) - not burning it back to any great 'extreme' of effort.
Aboriginals not doing their 40,000 year tried and tested 'Smoking Ceremonies' ( Cheesy) of consistent 'small-mini-burns' that left Forests with nothing but 'grass' for the Roos, Emus, etc.

Area just up the road has been back-burned by Whitey. It got rid of the scrub undergrowth, but now the floor of the Bush is just all leaves, twigs and branches (no grass for Roos who come into Surburban lawns for grass) - untouched and ready to fuel a Wild-Fire.

We must just accept that the Chinese Economy (the Cashed-Up One) and USA Economy (the Cashless One) - is way more important than paying people here to consistently keep Australia 'in check'.

...Because Whitey's next step is to cut down all the trees and turn Australia into the Middle-East (no fires there).

Grin Smoking Ceremonies?  Grin

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #114 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 9:34am

aquascoot wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:17am:
If you own a property and let it become completely overgrown the council will declare it a health hazard and Will issue a court order that you must clean it up.

If the government have a property be that a state forest or national park they need to hold themselves to the same principle.

It is quite obvious that allowing the undergrowth to become completely overgrown is it health hazard.

In these times of drought it would certainly be beneficial to allow cattle in to clean up some of the fuel load

Farmers below the snowy River catchment were given warnings to move stock to higher ground due to the temporary flooding caused by an environmental release down the snowy River

So starving drought-ridden stock might be swept away in a greenie inspired release of valuable water

It's certainly about time the avocado and latte-sipping inner city intellectual greens were completely removed from any input into the management of the bush

All levels of government assume they are above the law...... it's part of the disease of this nation...

Told yez - we need a Milagro solution - just open the taps and let 'er run... NOBODY owns water that falls naturally from the sky... if all those farmers revolted, what are they going to do to them?

"Joe Mondragon, a feisty hustler with a talent for trouble, slammed his battered pickup to a stop, tugged on his gumboots, and marched into the arid patch of ground. Carefully (and also illegally), he tapped into the main irrigation channel. And so began-though few knew it at the time-the Milagro beanfield war. But like everything else in the dirt-poor town of Milagro, it would be a patchwork war, fought more by tactical retreats than by battlefield victories. Gradually, the small farmers and sheepmen begin to rally to Joe's beanfield as the symbol of their lost rights and their lost lands. And downstate in the capital, the Anglo water barons and power brokers huddle in urgent conference, intent on destroying that symbol before it destroys their multimillion-dollar land-development schemes. The tale of Milagro's rising is wildly comic and lovingly terrrifying, a vivid portrayal of a town that, half-stumbling and partly prodded, gropes its way toward its own stubborn salvation."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39242.The_Milagro_Beanfield_War

Unlock The Watergates!!  Lock the Gates!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #115 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 10:19am

Gnads wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 8:20am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 4:07am:

Spot

Spot

Well durrrrh......

and in general that's common knowledge... and most people are.

living in a forest has it's risks.

You say durrrrh now but I had to explain it to you

Spot
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2019 at 6:18am by Sir Spot of Borg »  

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 2:36pm

I say, dear, are you saying the "noble capitalist" should have his private property regulated by the government?

Which authority initiated the release of valuable water?

I'm curious. Let's find out if they really are avocado latte-sipping intellectual Greens.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #117 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 2:51pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 14th, 2019 at 2:36pm:

I say, dear, are you saying the "noble capitalist" should have his private property regulated by the government?

Which authority initiated the release of valuable water?

I'm curious. Let's find out if they really are avocado latte-sipping intellectual Greens.

We noble farmers back burn every year, saving wildlife.

The ignorant greens believe you can lock it up and shut the gate.
Then it burns so hot, the top soil is actually destroyed and will not support re growth.
Then it all washes away in the next storm.

Both labor and liberal have been forced to pander to the greens to get other legislation thru.

The greens vision for rural Australia is that no one will live there and every rural town will die.

How many rural communities in the bush return green candidates.

Answer.   Zero.

The greens inhabit the inner city concrete jungles.
Hardly green

They occasionally venture into the bush to do a spot of glamping.

But the heat and the flies soon see them retreating to the city to settle back in their air con and nod their heads in a virtue signalling mannequin like manner whilst they watch their ABC and their Q and A performances from green senator show ponies

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #118 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 3:24pm

The Green are really being deadschits regarding the fires.

Greens MP Adam Bandt has blamed the unprecedented bushfires and “catastrophic” fire risk across two states on climate change, and even suggested Prime Minister Scott Morrison is partly responsible due to the government’s lack of action.

So lets see, Australia produces 1% of the worlds greenhouse gasses so even if in the last year since Morrison has been PM he personally 100% stopped Australia from using any fossil fuels, there'd be basically no difference.

Then you have to factor in what actual % AGW is having on the current situation.

I believe it's a factor, but mostly what we're experiencing is all within the cyclical range of the conditions.

So how much blame should Scott Morrison get for the fires? Would love to see the Greens express that as a percentage.

What's going on here are the Greens are being total
C
ru
NTS
and using a tragedy for political mileage.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/climate-change/row-erupts-over-bu...   

IBI

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Nov 14th, 2019 at 3:43pm

True Gordon.

100 years ago most of Australia would have been small farms.
These farmers ran their animals in the Forrest.
They cleared as much as they could for pasture.
They used the timber to build fences and yards and houses.

Now fast forward.

Cattle are often raised in feedlots, these feedlots require intensive river flat cropping
The river flats ( where it is safe to build a house ) are going up in value faster then any other land in Australia
So people are building on the cheaper bush block , usually at the top of a hill to get a view .

The fencing is all metal and now concrete and the yards are steel.

Farmers aren't allowed to clear one tree.

Cattle that were allowed in national parks and state forests are out.
Droving routes on the sides of roads kept the grass down,
Now one cigarette butt and its ablaze.
Roos won't eat tall grass.
They love a burn.
They won't keep down long grass in national parks .

Only burning will.

And if the greens were serious, how much carbon dioxide has gone up in the last week.
Probably more than a decade of coal fired power plants.

Bandt is a very ignorant man.
Most of the farmers near me are incredibly smart guys.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18
Send Topic Print