FIRES (Read 10375 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
FIRES
Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:51am

**thought I'd start one here... maybe we need a member run board**

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: FIRES
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 6:40pm

Anyway - with all due respect - watching the news tonight I'm appalled at the way every firefighter on show handles a hose... they spray it all over the place instead of getting one bit under control and then 'rolling up' the firefront..

All that happens if you spray it into the flames and not at the base of fire - is that it evaporates and does nothing...

GRRRRRR...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:02pm

I am looking at the burnt properties...thinking who the hell would have bush and fuel that close to houses and buildings

A lot of this damage is self inflicted

Someone has to say this

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:09pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:02pm:
I am looking at the burnt properties...thinking who the hell would have bush and fuel that close to houses and buildings

A lot of shires restrict clearing around houses and outbuildings.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:11pm

If I lived in such a high risk fire area I'd want a really big pool and some high volume pumps.

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:13pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:02pm:

A lot of this damage is self inflicted

Someone has to say this

Yes - weeping over the ruin and tree trunks ten feet away ...what do they expect?  It's harsh, but true - and councils past have a lot to answer for with their 'tree preservation' rules that went on for so long... and National Parks for their not permitting gathering of deadfall for firewood, and the grazing of cattle in National Parks.

I've visited Wytalaba - a hippy joint - and it was the classic 'home among the gum trees'.. with trees close all round... well.. thar she goes.... and the prison farm there is a timber cutting  place - full of sawdust and chips etc and in the middle of the woods... oh, well...

Everywhere I look around here, that is unburnt, there is so much fuel lying on the ground.. no wonder the fires are devastating.  The good thing is that the burnt areas won't burn again for a while.. and maybe someone will wake up and start preventative measures...

Off to the fire station tomorrow to see what I can do... the ex is at her art class... phone handy...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:15pm

Gordon wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:11pm:
If I lived in such a high risk fire area I'd want a really big pool and some high volume pumps.

Remember that fire that swept through Menai and Engadine years back?  A woman took to the pool and  died in it... too much flame and it sucked away the oxygen... firestorm... that's what they're predicting tomorrow (again)... firies are out on their feet...

― John Adams

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:16pm

An example -
"The state government's 10/30 right allows you to clear vegetation around your home for bushfire protection without a planning permit.

All trees within 10 metres of your house and vegetation within 30 metres of your house can be removed so long as:

Your house was built before 10 September 2009

or

A permit for its construction was issued before 10 September 2009"

https://www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Environment/Trees-and-vegetation/Remove-a-tre...

In high winds 10 or 30 metres isn't going to be much chop.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:18pm

I'm regretting that I didn't keep one of my petrol pumps from the farm now... got a duck pool out the back full of water... and a petrol pump doesn't go down when the power fails.... had good hoses and all.... fit the pump on a boat and you'd have a fire boat to spray trees on the waterfront and houses close to it...

We don't seem to have fire boats for some reason...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:18pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:15pm:

Remember that fire that swept through Menai and Engadine years back?  A woman took to the pool and  died in it... too much flame and it sucked away the oxygen... firestorm... that's what they're predicting tomorrow (again)... firies are out on their feet...

No I'd bug out and have it dousing the house.

IBI

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:49pm

Insurance companies can share some blame
They should not be insuring these properties without inspecting them
Some properties are impossible to protect from fire.....dont insure them until they are cleaned up.

Otherwise we are all paying higher premiums to subsidize idiots

IP Logged

Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Reply #11 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:53pm

Wouldn't make any difference, one of those choppers would have swooped down and sucked it dry to go drop on some flames twenty miles away, in a state forest completely inaccessible and devoid of human habitation. Leaving you with no water and no hope. Like ever other farmers livestock dams...

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:55pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:49pm:
Insurance companies can share some blame
They should not be insuring these properties without inspecting them
Some properties are impossible to protect from fire.....dont insure them until they are cleaned up.

Otherwise we are all paying higher premiums to subsidize idiots

Surely a 50000 water tank and a pump that can move 500 liters a minute would save a house. That setup would be less than $10K

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 8:03pm

Rider wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 7:53pm:

Wouldn't make any difference, one of those choppers would have swooped down and sucked it dry to go drop on some flames twenty miles away, in a state forest completely inaccessible and devoid of human habitation. Leaving you with no water and no hope. Like ever other farmers livestock dams...

Nice big lakes and rivers here - the crop dusters with the float things just swoop in, load up in seconds and are off again.. the choppers just hang a line and reel in the fish... and the fires are still out of control... wait until tomorrow..

Yep - dry state forests and near dry dams don't help...

― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:28pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 6:40pm:
Anyway - with all due respect - watching the news tonight I'm appalled at the way every firefighter on show handles a hose... they spray it all over the place instead of getting one bit under control and then 'rolling up' the firefront..

All that happens if you spray it into the flames and not at the base of fire - is that it evaporates and does nothing...

GRRRRRR...

If they are getting behind the flames, they might be trying to get a fire break going. Dousing the fire to put it out so that the flames behind don't jump over and burn the next fuel source.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 18
Send Topic Print