Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What Frydendud is doing to Australia (Read 2494 times)
Rider
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OnTheRoad
Re: What Frydendud is doing to Australia
Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 5:49pm

Valkie wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:06am:
All we really need

IS A REVOLUTION

To wipe out the politicians and senior public servants from the face of the earth

Then start again.

With a caveat

Stuff up, and we will HAVE ANOTHER REVOLUTION

That's the only thing that will keep them in line

The threat of being beheaded

Canberra is a failed State.  A fantasy community isolated from the outcomes of their decisions. 

Shut it down. Make it farm land again.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:06pm

crocodile wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 3:17pm:
Bam wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 2:27pm:
crocodile wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 1:41pm:
Australia still ranks 4th on the list.

Where was Australia ranked when the current government came to office?

It may be more instructive if you actually took the time to read and digest the report rather than rely on the misplaced ramblings Alan Austin.

So no answer to my question then.

As for the evidence of the crumbling economy under Frydendud, if you're only relying on one report you're being naive. There is ample evidence of the moribund Australian economy sliding deeper into the mire. Annual GDP growth is at its lowest level since the GFC and the economy is only growing because we're importing 300,000 people a year. Unemployment is trending up. Wages growth is very weak. Everywhere you look there's signs of economic weakness. And the government hoards its consolidated tax revenue to itself so they can win a surplus pissing contest instead of enacting modest spending measures to maintain the economy, an approach that you have criticised in the past.

You can whine all you like with rubbish attacking the sources but this kind of fallacious argument will not convince anyone.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:53pm

Bam wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:06pm:

It may be more instructive if you actually took the time to read and digest the report rather than rely on the misplaced ramblings Alan Austin.

It's in the report. I even posted a link to it for your every wish and comfort, complete with page numbers. Did you bother to read it.

As for the evidence of the crumbling economy under Frydendud, if you're only relying on one report you're being naive.

If you'd care to show me where I've indicated otherwise I'd be interested in reading it. I've only made comments on the veracity of Austin's article and nothing else. You made it up.

There is ample evidence of the moribund Australian economy sliding deeper into the mire. Annual GDP growth is at its lowest level since the GFC and the economy is only growing because we're importing 300,000 people a year. Unemployment is trending up. Wages growth is very weak. Everywhere you look there's signs of economic weakness. And the government hoards its consolidated tax revenue to itself so they can win a surplus pissing contest instead of enacting modest spending measures to maintain the economy, an approach that you have criticised in the past.

Again, show us all where I have refuted any of this or did you make that up too.

You can whine all you like with rubbish attacking the sources but this kind of fallacious argument will not convince anyone.

Do you know what the word "fallacious" means. It is the adjective form of fallacy, That is, a lie or mistaken belief. There is nothing of any fallacy of any type in my missive. Austin is shown to be a lying and deceptive turd. That's all there is to it. You're reading into it something that isn't there.

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2019 at 7:03pm by crocodile »  

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 5:36am

Defeated angry little Bammy is SO outclassed by the magnificent Croc it is like a cat playing with a mouse.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 10:44pm

crocodile wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 6:53pm:

It's in the report. I even posted a link to it for your every wish and comfort, complete with page numbers. Did you bother to read it.

We both know that Australia's standard of living has declined since the Coalition came to office and started pushing down wages. Your refusal to admit that reveals your bias. A pro-Liberal bias? Maybe a pro-neoliberal bias?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:08pm

As for the evidence of the crumbling economy under Frydendud, if you're only relying on one report you're being naive.

If you'd care to show me where I've indicated otherwise I'd be interested in reading it. I've only made comments on the veracity of Austin's article and nothing else. You made it up.

You do know how conditionals work? If you are not relying on one report, just say so. It's really not that hard.

There is ample evidence of the moribund Australian economy sliding deeper into the mire. Annual GDP growth is at its lowest level since the GFC and the economy is only growing because we're importing 300,000 people a year. Unemployment is trending up. Wages growth is very weak. Everywhere you look there's signs of economic weakness. And the government hoards its consolidated tax revenue to itself so they can win a surplus pissing contest instead of enacting modest spending measures to maintain the economy, an approach that you have criticised in the past.

Again, show us all where I have refuted any of this or did you make that up too.

Did I specifically say you "refuted" any of this? No.

The only actual attribution of your point of view here is your criticisms of budget surpluses, which are well known. You have made several remarks criticising budget surpluses in this thread: Most Want The Surplus Goal Abandoned, for example:

crocodile wrote on Sep 6th, 2019 at 1:14pm:
A government in surplus is also a private sector in deficit. They've simply taxed more than they spent.

crocodile wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 6:06pm:
Surpluses are not required to pay down debt.

crocodile wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 6:09pm:
Deficit budgets should be the norm. Surpluses are virtually never required except in very special cases.

Remarks, incidentally, that I agreed with.

Bam wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 12:33pm:
A government in surplus is also a private sector in deficit. They've simply taxed more than they spent.

Furthermore, a government budget is not like a household budget. Households have limited lifespans, a government theoretically does not.

About 80% of all Federal budgets since federation have been in deficit. The country did not go broke. Deficits are not a problem as long as they are sustainable.

The debt from World War 2 took about 25 years to pay off. This was done without a single Budget surplus.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:12pm

philperth2010 wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 12:37pm:
crocodile wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 7:22am:
Alan Austin reports.

Not much point reading any further. Another unqualified idiot crackpot.

He wrote the article, he did not write the report....Just more deflection and distraction from the rusted on in denial!!!

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

He's selective in the way he reads the report and writes about it. Only an ignoramus would look no further than a cooked up piece of blather from a fukkwit of no consequence.

Try reading the actual CS report. Australia still ranks 4th on the list. If one expresses the wealth indicator in the local Aussie currency it has grown by 16%. There is no deflection nor rusted on agenda. Only a logical look at the truth. You are an ignorant fool.

Australia is nothing more than a quarry for the rest of the world. Without the pile of minerals in the ground see how long we would last just relying on a mass immigration racket and flipping old dumps using borrowed money Sad

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 8:34am

Bammy and the Greeny Scunge - what a team. Knowledge is not power there. The Croc is playing with them like a cat with a mouse.

Maybe Croc is a secret adviser to ScoMo!!!!

But just think how much worse things would be now if Labor had gotten in and RESTARTED the BOATS and Illegal Invaders are pouring into Australia to go onto WELFARE for LIFE at the taxpayers' expense.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 11:50am

Bam wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 10:44pm:

We both know that Australia's standard of living has declined since the Coalition came to office and started pushing down wages. Your refusal to admit that reveals your bias. A pro-Liberal bias? Maybe a pro-neoliberal bias?

What's this horseshit. You don't seem to get things through your thick skull. I made no comment whatsoever on anything but the distortions and misinformation perpetuated by Alan Austin. End of story. Living standards and party biases were not even mentioned.

Just for the record, wages growth has been in decline since 2007. It isn't a factor isolated to any particular political entity. It is you that is biased. I don't give two fukks about party lines. Unlike you, I'm interested only in the truth.

Declining wages growth is a result of the erosion over time of total factor productivity.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 11:53am

The magnificent Croc lays it into Bammy who is not even a challenge for the mighty Croc.

Will Bammy start a HATE SESSION with the Croc now ?

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 12:00pm

Bam wrote on Nov 11th, 2019 at 11:08pm:

You do know how conditionals work? If you are not relying on one report, just say so. It's really not that hard.

What the fukk are you waffling on about. I commented on the report and nothing else. It's really not that hard.

Did I specifically say you "refuted" any of this?
No.

Good, now kindly fukk off.

The only actual attribution of your point of view here is your criticisms of budget surpluses, which are well known. You have made several remarks criticising budget surpluses in this thread: Most Want The Surplus Goal Abandoned, for example:

crocodile wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 6:06pm:
Surpluses are not required to pay down debt.

crocodile wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 6:09pm:
Deficit budgets should be the norm. Surpluses are virtually never required except in very special cases.

Remarks, incidentally, that I agreed with.

So where have I made any remarks on the budget position while pointing out Austin's hoerseshit. You're off with the fairies.

Bam wrote on Sep 7th, 2019 at 12:33pm:

Furthermore, a government budget is not like a household budget. Households have limited lifespans, a government theoretically does not.

About 80% of all Federal budgets since federation have been in deficit. The country did not go broke. Deficits are not a problem as long as they are sustainable.

The debt from World War 2 took about 25 years to pay off. This was done without a single Budget surplus.

Kindly point out where I've changed position on these items that you have laboriously cited. Either put up or shut up.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:27pm

Thank Heavens Labor did not get in and thank Heavens for the wisdom of the Croc.

Now a look at things thru non Lefty/Greeny eyes who want to make things look as bad as possible.

Don’t look now, but the economy just might be perking up
Stephen Koukoulas Yahoo Finance 23 October 2019

Is the sun rising again on Australia's economy? (Source: Getty, Yahoo Finance)

Every month or so, I undertake a total revamp of my assessment and forecasts for the economy.

With this wipe-the-slate-clean revamp, I take account of the most up to date data, incorporate policy changes and I build in new judgments on the outlook for the global economy.

And so it was last week, when I was revamping my GDP forecasting spreadsheet to assess the risks of recession, the prospects for a booming rebound and all things in between.

It is a lot of fun and helps me to throw forward pre-empt how the economy and, importantly, financial markets will travel. That said, I am not one of those eggheads who lives and dies by what my model is telling me, but such spreadsheet fiddling makes me sit up and take notice of what is happening.

The last update, last week, was one of those times.

Economy to perk up in 2020: Here’s why
Indeed, for the first time in quite a while, I am getting a bit excited about the upside for the economy in 2020. Not a boom, but solid, strong, decent economic growth lies ahead.

In fact, I now put the chances of the economy falling into recession in 2020 or 2021 for that matter at about 0.1 per cent. Never say never, but I am more likely to beat Usain Bolt over 100 metres than the Australian economy is of cascading into recession.

Here’s the how and why of how I reached that conclusion.

Dwelling construction
Let’s start with some bad news.

It is pretty clear that dwelling investment (which makes up around 5 per cent of GDP) is set to fall by around 8 per cent in 2020. This means that by itself, we start my GDP build with a -0.4 percentage points on GDP (5 per cent times minus 8 per cent). That’s said, I am factoring in a housing construction rebound in the second half of 2020 as a supply shortage impacts property developers and house prices. That is a question that should see dwelling investment add to GDP in 2021.

Impact in 2020: -0.4 percentage points

Now the good news.

Private capital expenditure
In terms of private capital expenditure, which accounts for around 12 per cent of real GDP, the Bureau of Statistics expectations survey points to strong growth in 2020. Based on the hard data on expectations, it looks like private capex will rise by 9 per cent as businesses are gearing up for a lift in non-residential construction and strong growth in spending on plant and equipment (note we have a technology boom globally still happening).

Impact in 2020: +1.1 percentage points

Government consumption and investment
Government demand is spilt between consumption and investment – the latter includes some of the infrastructure boom being rolled out. Government consumption accounts for about 19 per cent of GDP while government investment is an additional 5 per cent. Based on government consumption growth of 3.25 per cent (very conservative given the NDIS roll out and more) and public investment growth of 6 per cent, government demand will contribute a hefty 0.9 percentage points to GDP.

Impact in 2020: +1.0 percentage points

Net exports
Net exports are a wild card. Export volumes are growing solidly and there is more upside in the output of gas and iron ore. Global economic growth looks like being firm which will help the export sector.

This will be offset somewhat by weakness on coal export volumes. In terms of services, the recent weakening in tourism and education may moderate. A hugely competitive Aussie dollar (and by that I mean anything under 75 US cents) and exports are likely to grow by around 6 per cent.

This nice addition to GDP will however, in my estimate, be more than completely offset by a surge in imports. That business investment lift, noted above, has a high import concentration, which means that net exports (exports minus imports) is likely to trim a small amount from bottom line GDP.

Impact in 2020: -0.2 percentage points

At this point, when we add up the contributions to GDP, we have growth in 2020 at 1.5 per cent.

Of course, I have not yet covered the biggy for the economy – household consumption.

This non Lefty/Greeny jaundiced view continues overleaf

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:33pm by juliar »  

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:27pm

This non Lefty/Greeny jaundiced view continues...

Of course, I have not yet covered the biggy for the economy – household consumption.

Household consumption
Household consumption accounts for around 57 per centre of GDP. It matters to the core growth rate of the economy.

In forecasting household consumption, I plug in the following drivers – disposable income, employment, wealth and savings. With a bunch of rather conservative assumption on those fronts, I get household consumption growth of 2.5 per cent in 2020. With a bit of a push, I can get growth to 2.8 per cent, but for the sake of being conservative, I’ll stick with the 2.5. For something that is 57 per cent of GDP growing at 2.5 per cent, the bottom line contribution to GDP is 1.4 percentage points.

Impact in 2020: +1.4 percentage points

Add this to the above calculations and GDP growth in 2020 falls out of my spreadsheet at a solid 2.9 per cent.

If household consumption is even a touch stronger (rising wealth), the dwelling investment cycle is less a drag as it turns higher earlier or net exports are simply neutral as resources export volumes continue to boom, then GDP growth in 2020 would be nearer 3.5 per cent.

This outlook is based, in part, on a scenario where the RBA delivers one final interest rate cut to 0.5 per cent and where the government marginally loosens fiscal policy before year end, including in areas of drought assistance or other spending measures.

Amid this, I note that in 2020 inflation remains around 1.8 per cent, the unemployment rate does not fall much and hovers near 5 per cent and wages growth stays around 2.3 per cent.

There would also be upside if the Trump trade war issues moderate, as they probably will, China continues to deliver stimulatory policy and commodity prices drop only 10 per cent as opposed to the 20 per cent broadly assumed in my calculation.

At this stage, as there is a rush in the economics profession to embrace gloom and pessimism, my forecast looks to be an outlier, but as was the case over the past few years, I am very happy let my forecasts, not my prejudice and wish for media coverage, to win out.

Stephen Koukoulas is no nonsense economist who calls it without fear or favour. He is currently Managing Director of Market Economics as well as being a Research Fellow, Per Capita. He tweets at @TheKouk.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/economy-perking-up-kouk-195329917.html

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 3:46pm

Things are not nearly as bad as the Lefty/Greeny pessimists try to make out.  Certainly nowhere near as bad as they would be if Labor had got in.

‘Absolutely no surprise’: Leading economist brushes off economic growth downgrade
Anastasia Santoreneos Yahoo Finance 16 October 2019

Australia's economic downgrade is 'no surprise', says leading economist. Source: Getty

Australia’s expected economic growth this year has been downgraded to 1.7 per cent from 2.1 per cent by the International Monetary Fund, but leading economist Stephen Koukoulas isn’t surprised, nor worried.

“It’s absolutely no surprise at all,” he told Yahoo Finance.

“I think the report has really only just caught up with what we saw in the June quarter GDP results, which came out five or six weeks ago now.”

“That showed the economy growing at around 1.4 per cent in annual terms, so the IMF is really reflecting that.”

Koukoulas said the bond market and the Aussie dollar didn’t change at all in reaction to IMF report, adding, “in a sense, it’s nothing new”.

Rather than focusing on the 2019 figures, the 2020 figures are more important Koukoulas said,

The IMF predicted Australia’s economy would grow 2.3 per cent in 2020 - down from a predicted 2.7 per cent growth in the April forecasts.

“This is sort of a glass-half-full approach to forecasting GDP growth - it’s [2.3 per cent] clearly not strong, it’s not good enough to make inroads into unemployment, but nor is it catastrophic.”

“The economy is not disastrous, and I think that’s the main thing.”

We’re not headed for a recession
Koukoulas said the IMF was forecasting a pick up, and not an economic crisis in Australia next year.

“I think the IMF reports reflect the gentle upturn in the economy, when we look at things like infrastructure, spending, mining, export volumes - they’re all doing really well, and that’s why we’re not going to have a recession.”

Koukoulas said Australia’s GDP would become strong again.

“Not very strong, but the capital, the mining, the infrastructure, the exports...Not great, but not catastrophic.”

Australian economy still facing headwinds
Responding to IMF’s downgraded forecasts, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said “we do face headwinds”.

"The international challenges are a stark reminder of why we must stick to our economic plan, which will deliver lower taxes so Australians can keep more of what they earn,” he said.

And Koukoulas agreed.

“One [challenge] is the weak wages crisis. The globalisation of labour markets, the gig economy, technology taking jobs of humans - these are the sorts of things keeping downward pressure on wages growth.”

“Previously, it was the fall in house prices, but that appears to be turning now.”

Globally, Koukoulas says the trade war is also a major headwind for Australia.

But we will need another rate cut
We will need some more interest rate cuts to stimulate consumer spending, Koukoulas said.

“The RBA addressed this in their minutes yesterday - we might actually get a little bit of movement out of Canberra,” he said.

We’ve had three rate cuts this year, and there will be more to come in November or December, Koukoulas said.

We could also see the budget surplus reduced slightly and some fiscal policy stimulus by the end of the year, Koukoulas said.

“That seems to be increasing in probability.”

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/economist-brushes-off-australia-economic-growt...

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #29 - Nov 12th, 2019 at 4:56pm

philperth2010 wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 12:37pm:
crocodile wrote on Nov 10th, 2019 at 7:22am:
Alan Austin reports.

Not much point reading any further. Another unqualified idiot crackpot.

He wrote the article, he did not write the report....Just more deflection and distraction from the rusted on in denial!!!

He's selective in the way he reads the report and writes about it. Only an ignoramus would look no further than a cooked up piece of blather from a fukkwit of no consequence.

The only fukkwit of no consequence would be you....Any time the Coalition's performance is criticised you attack the credibility of the author and spin bullshit of no relevance....By any measure the Morrison Government is doing nothing with no plan to do any more than that....Ya dickhead!!!

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print