Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bosses Who Underpay To Face Steep Fines (Read 609 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Bosses Who Underpay To Face Steep Fines
Oct 18th, 2019 at 6:27am

ATO warns bosses who underpay or keep superannuation from staff to face steep fines   Smiley

ABC News
17 Oct 2019

Bosses who deliberately underpay or withhold compulsory superannuation payments from their staff are being warned by the Australian Tax Office to end the rip-off or face steep fines.
Key points:

The ATO's pursuit of dodgy employers holding back super has been boosted by the introduction of Single Touch Payroll
    The system has so far allowed nearly 500,000 employers to report every payday for 11 million employees rather than annually
    And the ATO has recently scrutinised 75 million transactions for 400,000 businesses using the cross-matching system

Reminder emails — described by the ATO as a "nudge" — will go to 4,000 employers with a track record of late super payments and another 500 bosses who have failed to pay the right amount by the quarterly date.

The crackdown will target known offenders in the super rip-off, including cafes, restaurants, clubs, supermarkets and tradie subcontractors in the construction industry, but also architectural, legal and advertising firms.   Smiley

Deputy Tax Commissioner James O'Halloran told the ABC's AM program that employers who failed to lodge superannuation guarantee payments were robbing their staff and would be asked to explain the non-payment.

"It does seem to be in a range of service-type industries. Sometimes it's obviously some cashflow pressures. But ultimately, by not paying the superannuation guarantee, the employee misses out on money for their retirement future," Mr O'Halloran said.

Photo: James O'Halloran said about 4 or 5 per cent of businesses appeared not to be paying.

"We still encourage people to come forward to the ATO, should they believe that they have not been paid their super guarantee. But of course, we can match patterns now and look for people who continually pay late or don't pay the correct amount."

The ATO's pursuit of dodgy employers who hold back compulsory super has been boosted by the introduction of Single Touch Payroll where nearly 500,000 employers now report every payday for 11 million employees rather than annually.

Under the mandatory superannuation guarantee, employers are required to contribute the current minimum 9.5 per cent into the super funds of any worker aged 18 and over, earning $450 a month.

Mr O'Halloran said the ATO recently scrutinised 75 million transactions for 400,000 businesses using cross-matching systems including Single Touch Payroll.

"There will be 500 businesses that we will be following up who do not appear to be paying what they are committed to pay.

"So their employee does not appear to have got the payment that they should have got, that was promised to them," Mr O'Halloran said.

Superannuation is about more than just money. Don't overlook the benefits of 'time in the market'
You don't have to be a mathematician to understand the benefits of compound interest.

"We think there's about 4 or 5 per cent of businesses that appear not to be paying.

"Depending on the response we get from people, there will be some follow-up, as well as the possibility of some reviews and audits and, therefore, some penalties."

The ATO estimated in 2017 that rogue employers short-changed staff by an average $2.81 billion every year between 2009 and 2015.

Industry Super Australia has claimed that around a third of Australian workers have been ripped off by bosses who withhold all or some of the superannuation guarantee.

Mr O'Halloran said the ATO was at the beginning of a "very proactive and very intentional follow-up" with employers.

"Come forward now, or the penalties and the sanctions will be more serious. Do the right thing: pay your employees what they are entitled to," Mr O'Halloran warned.

The ATO has recovered $805 million in unpaid super from 23,000 businesses over the past year.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Bosses Who Underpay To Face Steep Fines
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 6:44am

A good fine here and there can work wonders.   Smiley

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:00am

Gosh the 70th repeat post of this union/GetUp! trumped up farce by the dull dreary boring union/GetUp! propaganda parrot Blackday who is just a waste of space on Newstart. Squawk!!!

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #3 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:07am

juliar wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:00am:
Gosh the 70th repeat post of this union/GetUp! trumped up farce by the dull dreary boring union/GetUp! propaganda parrot Blackday who is just a waste of space on Newstart. Squawk!!!

Got anything useful to say about the topic?

You obviously support bosses who underpay workers' pay and super... oh, wait... you're a Liberal supporter/stooge, of course you do.

Which reminds me - my last employer where I worked for 6 years before I retired at the end of June still owes me about $800 in super, I'll have to check up and see how they're going with that...

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:09am

CarlD is sucked in by the union/GetUp! propaganda just like BlackDay.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:19am

I am a Liberal supporter and I would like to see wage fraud be penalised with jail terms
I ran a business for many years and always paid correctly and also provided other benefits
Competing against other cheating businesses is very difficult  and a lot of businesses would feel the same as me.

To label all Liberal supporters as wage cheats shows that you are a bigot and most likely a very stunted individual.
There is a whole world of enlightenment out there for you to explore if you could just lose the bigotry

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:28am

This trash repeated 70 times now by the Blackday parrot is just a union created farce to try to get more members as the unions are at death's door with almost no members anymore.

If the unions could not pilfer from Industrial Super funds they would be broke.

Forcing wages up to unrealistic levels like the unions want to do will simply result in people being chucked out on the street and/or the business going broke and the jobs going overseas which is in accordance with the LIMA Agreement which the unions and Labor are actively supporting.

And no doubt the Chinese are bribing the unions to do just this so the work goes to China.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:57am

Gosh now, the multi repeat posting of the same propaganda trash, the parrot Blackday, will squawk so loud he might fall off his perch as his HERO Albo stuffs up again. will Shady Shorty be sniffing around ?

The Lefties' hope and glory, Albo happily stuffs it up again

‘Anti-jobs’ agreement on free trade deals lands Anthony Albanese in strife with unions, MPs
Samantha Maiden 11:00pm, Oct 17, 2019 Updated: 1h ago

Labor leader Anthony Albanese has been slammed for backing the free trade deals. Photo: AAP  When will Shady Shorty have a go at Albo ?

Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese has angered unions and some of his own MPs with a “mistake that will not be forgotten” by backing the Coalition on three new free trade deals.

The battle over the deals with Indonesia, Peru and Hong Kong has sparked warnings of an influx of foreign workers that unions say will put pressure on wages.

Labor backed the FTAs with caveats but the move has defied MPs, including former frontbencher Kim Carr, who has warned it is in conflict with the ALP’s platform.

Australian Council of Trade Unions president Michele O’Neil has slammed the decision as anti-jobs.

Today ALP MPs agreed to support the Indonesia Free Trade Agreement - in breach of the ALP national platform.

These deals are bad for Aussie jobs and let multinationals sue Australia if our laws hurt their profits.

When is Albo going to stick up for Australian Workers?

“They’ve made a mistake that will not be forgotten by Australian workers,” Ms O’Neil said.

“The decision by the ALP to side with the government is an abandonment both of their own platform, and of their responsibility to stand up for fair trade deals which deliver jobs for local workers, that protect Australia’s public services, sovereignty and visa workers from exploitation and that ensure international labour standards in the countries we trade with.”

Mr Albanese has already stoked divisions in union ranks over his attempts to kick Victorian CFMMEU leader John Setka out of the party.

ETU Victoria released a savage new advertisement on social media after the decision, depicting Mr Albanese as a puppet.

“13 million working Australians are screaming out for politicians to stand up for them and their families. Sadly, however, Albo has shown it’s just too hard for him,” ETU Victoria Secretary Troy Gray said.

“With youth unemployment in double digits, the Indonesia Trade Deal includes a provision for 1500 trainee visas. These are positions that could go to unemployed Aussie kids.”

Labor’s trade spokeswoman Madeline King said: “We will back these agreements, although we are concerned about how this government will implement them”.

“I have written to Trade Minister Simon Birmingham seeking firm commitments to ensure that the implementation of the agreements safeguard Australian jobs and maximise market access for Australian businesses,” Ms King said.

“We are seeking: A guarantee that these agreements protect Australian jobs and an assurance that working holiday makers are not exploited and are appropriately qualified for the work they undertake … an assurance that there is no inference from the agreements that would require the privatisation of government services, nor restrict any future decision to bring acquire public assets.”

Mr Birmingham said he was confident the government could meet Labor’s demands for safeguards.

“I can do better than that. I can guarantee that these agreements help to create Australian jobs,” he said.

“I welcome the fact that the Labor Party have indicated their intention to pass the legislation. It shouldn’t need to be conditional, but we’ll work through their conditions and see what sort of response we can provide.”

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has accused the Labor Party of being addicted to “panic and crisis” in a withering attack on Mr Albanese’s call to debate the economy in question time.

“I know that the Labor Party’s penchant is for panic and crisis, Mr Speaker. But, honestly, he’s got to try to resolve the panic and crisis that is going on within his own party on so many issues,” Mr Morrison said.

“As I remarked in this place some time ago, the Leader of the Opposition, he wants to have debates. I’m getting on with things.”

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2019/10/17/free-trade-anthony-albanese/

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 1:26pm

miketrees wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 11:19am:
I am a Liberal supporter and I would like to see wage fraud be penalised with jail terms
I ran a business for many years and always paid correctly and also provided other benefits
Competing against other cheating businesses is very difficult  and a lot of businesses would feel the same as me.

This is why we need to stamp out wage theft in all its forms. The most egregious examples such as deliberate fraud should be punished with jail terms.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:35am

Make a note of the day 19/10/2019

Bam and I agree

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 12:30am

Workers who lose their jobs to face steep struggle to stay alive.  But evil BlackDay doesn't care as he is on NewStart.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 7:15am

Juliar thinks its alright to underpay workers.   Sad

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:40am

Silly old BlackDay should stay with his mindless parroting of prepared Union/GetUp! propaganda as he doesn't understand a word of it and is so inarticulate he can barely string two words together.  Classic GetUp! controlled mindless Lefty.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print