Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
NDIS no wonder it fails so many (Read 3376 times)
philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Re: NDIS no wonder it fails so many
Reply #30 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 9:51pm

rhino wrote on Oct 22nd, 2019 at 9:15pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Oct 22nd, 2019 at 7:54pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 22nd, 2019 at 7:20pm:
Respite is excluded. Anything that would typically be done by family members is still required to be done by family members.

Where do you get your information???

In the NDIS it is not called respite it is called short term accommodation!!!

Huh Huh Huh
No its not. Its called respite. And FD is 100 percent correct. Anything that would typically be done by family members is still required to be done by family members. And thats just about everything except personal care. The NDIS is a shambles and a huge waste of money, all it has done is create a huge bureaucracy sucking up the resources intended for the disabled.

I have just signed up to an NDIS program for a relative that includes short term accommodation, so you are either miss informed or a smacking liar....The program also allows for self determination and more independence for the recipient....How is providing support for the disabled a waste of money???

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #31 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 10:09pm

Quote:
Under the NDIS, Short Term Accommodation and Assistance (STAA) replaces what used to be called respite for people with a disability. Short Term Accommodation and Assistance can be both: A short stay in a property with other people. Additional support in your own home.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

https://www.aruma.com.au/disability-services/short-term-accommodation/

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 5:34pm

So the only "respite" you can get under the NDIS involves rehousing the disabled person?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #33 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 6:03pm

freediver wrote on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 5:34pm:
So the only "respite" you can get under the NDIS involves rehousing the disabled person?

First you denied there was any "respite" (short term accommodation) despite me telling you there was....So tell me how you achieve "respite" (short term accommodation) without providing temporary short term accommodation for the disabled....I fail to see what you are trying to spin here mate???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #34 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 7:52pm

For the most part respite used to be an hour or two of what was basically babysitting so you could duck down to the shops to get a carton and a packet of ciggies.

You are absolutely right of course. Respite has been replaced by temporary accommodation, in the same sense you can replace a pet dog with a wind chime.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #35 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 7:57pm

NDIS is a license for Muslims to print money

Accused of fleecing almost $500,000 from 200 disabled Australians, Mohammed Omar did his best to hide his face from cameras as he walked from Melbourne Magistrates’ Court today.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/mohammed-omar-melbourne-man-free-on-bail/c23f8...
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/selfish-and-despicable-five-arrested-in-alleged-1m-n...

IBI

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #36 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:07pm

freediver wrote on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 7:52pm:
For the most part respite used to be an hour or two of what was basically babysitting so you could duck down to the shops to get a carton and a packet of ciggies.

You are absolutely right of course. Respite has been replaced by temporary accommodation, in the same sense you can replace a pet dog with a wind chime.

Respite was always determined by a certain number of hours that could be accessed by recipients where accommodation is available....You could use your allocated hours as needed until they are exhausted....Comparing the disabled to inanimate objects shows your true character or lack there of!!!

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:31pm

philperth2010 wrote on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:07pm:

Respite was always determined by a certain number of hours that could be accessed by recipients where accommodation is available....You could use your allocated hours as needed until they are exhausted....Comparing the disabled to inanimate objects shows your true character or lack there of!!!

The idea behind respite was that carers got some time off. Sadly, that has gone from the NDIS plans.  The carers if they are family are expected to provide their own respite, overnight sleepovers have gone from around a $100 to over $200 now. The NDIS will not fund this, ergo= no respite unless you are willing to fund this yourself. And get this, no matter how severely disabled a person is the NDIS refuses to fund any more than 1 hour of personal care per day. So, in order to get respite day care has to be personally funded by family carers as well. Ever heard of a carer working a 1 hour shift? The other issue of course is finding accomodation for the more severely disabled, depending where you live it is either unavailable or prohibitively expensive, I was quoted $3500 a day, again NDIS will not fund this. So dont call me a liar, I wish I didnt have a boat in the water on this one. And dont tell me how good the NDIS is, Im sure the less disabled are getting a better deal whereas  they had no funding, now at least getting some.  The problem is the more severely disabled and their families are getting a worse deal. Its a disaster financially for may of the participants and their families.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #38 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:36pm

Way to completely miss the point Phil.

Are you seriously suggesting that people who used to get respite now get an equivalent service under this temporary accommodation thing?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:40pm

philperth2010 wrote on Oct 22nd, 2019 at 6:55pm:
[
I don't know where you get your information but anyone who cares for a disabled family member will have some of the burden lifted by the NDIS....Respite and support workers are essential once the disabled leave school and cannot be employed....You have no idea do you???

Huh Huh Huh
Phuk it makes me angry when I read tripe like this getting disseminated. Im  going to have a terrific workout on the heavy bag tonight.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #40 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 9:43pm

rhino wrote on Oct 23rd, 2019 at 8:31pm:

The idea behind respite was that carers got some time off. Sadly, that has gone from the NDIS plans.  The carers if they are family are expected to provide their own respite, overnight sleepovers have gone from around a $100 to over $200 now. The NDIS will not fund this, ergo= no respite unless you are willing to fund this yourself. And get this, no matter how severely disabled a person is the NDIS refuses to fund any more than 1 hour of personal care per day. So, in order to get respite day care has to be personally funded by family carers as well. Ever heard of a carer working a 1 hour shift? The other issue of course is finding accomodation for the more severely disabled, depending where you live it is either unavailable or prohibitively expensive, I was quoted $3500 a day, again NDIS will not fund this. So dont call me a liar, I wish I didnt have a boat in the water on this one. And dont tell me how good the NDIS is, Im sure the less disabled are getting a better deal whereas  they had no funding, now at least getting some.  The problem is the more severely disabled and their families are getting a worse deal. Its a disaster financially for may of the participants and their families.

Under the NDIS there is no provision for carers to get time off....Alternative accommodation is determined by the needs and goals of the recipient only....My family member currently gets 31 days a year respite and will receive an equivalent amount under the NDIS (we can purchase more if we wish) and has just spent 6 days at Rocky Bay....I am sorry to hear you are getting a raw deal and you are not alone....There is an NDIS Grass Roots Facebook group where people discuss these issues and share their problems....If you decide to review your plan be warned you may end up with less!!!

Huh Huh Huh
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2019 at 9:50pm by philperth2010 »  

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 6:51am

If the government run it
You can guarantee that there will be an enormous administrative cost
And there will be masses of charlatans who are drawn like bees to a honeypot

Best not let the government run anything
Maybe the military and border security

But kind compassionate noble members of the community a far more flexible sensible and competent then clock watching yawning public servants who just want to get back to the water bubbler and gossip about the latest contestants on the bachelor

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 7:30am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 24th, 2019 at 6:51am:
If the government run it

But kind compassionate noble members of the community a far more flexible sensible and competent then clock watching yawning public servants who just want to get back to the water bubbler and gossip about the latest contestants on the bachelor

The whole point of the NDIS is that there's as minimal government involvement as possible. It's a national insurance scheme.

The only way you could get less government administration is to outsource the ATO.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 8:03am

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 24th, 2019 at 7:30am:
If the government run it

The whole point of the NDIS is that there's as minimal government involvement as possible. It's a national insurance scheme.

The only way you could get less government administration is to outsource the ATO.

I can guarantee you it will end up like the job network
Massively lucrative for the service providers
An absolutely appalling services for the people who are most vulnerable

That's just how government schemes always end up being run
Far better to leave it in the hands of the noble charities who are passionate and committed to their customers and not to constructing their own little empire

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 9:09am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 24th, 2019 at 8:03am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 24th, 2019 at 7:30am:
If the government run it

I can guarantee you it will end up like the job network
Massively lucrative for the service providers
An absolutely appalling services for the people who are most vulnerable

That's just how government schemes always end up being run
Far better to leave it in the hands of the noble charities who are passionate and committed to their customers and not to constructing their own little empire

What are you saying, dear? It's the noble charities and service providers doing the rorting. The job network provider rorts only existed after privatisation.

Disability services used to be run by the states. Their version was government-run and private institutions and group homes. St John of God. The Richmond Fellowship, the House With No Steps.

Today, there are alternative solutions that allow people to live independently. There's disability access in trains and busses, for example. Also, as we've transitioned to a service economy, a lot of work involves communication, which can be assisted with various technologies.

The Minister of Community Services in NSW is fully blind. Once, blindness was considered such a major disability, the blind were automatically granted the blind pension.

And you're right, the move to for-profit service providers in the disability sector is ripe for scams, just like the job network. This is the natural effect of less governance.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2019 at 10:02am by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print