Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nursing Home 5 Staff To 100 Patients And Underpaid (Read 839 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Nursing Home 5 Staff To 100 Patients And Underpaid
Oct 17th, 2019 at 4:49am

Victorian aged care facility rostering five staff to more than 100 patients, royal commission hears

ABC News
October 17 2009

Nursing homes are notoriously secretive about their staffing ratios. But buried among the hundreds of witness statements submitted to the aged care royal commission was a table showing how one of the country's biggest for-profit chains employed just five staff for 106 residents on the night shift.   Sad
Key points:

The Japara Mirridong aged care home rostered just one registered nurse overnight
    Union head Paul Gilbert told the inquiry staff there had just six minutes to wash and dress patients
    The Health Workers Union said aged care staff could earn more working at supermarkets

The figures came from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) and they're about Japara — a company publicly listed on the stock exchange.

The table shows how Japara Mirridong in Bendigo employs 15 personal care workers in the morning, which drops to 11 after lunch, and finally to just four personal care workers and one registered nurse for the night shift.

Paul Gilbert, assistant secretary of the Victorian branch of the ANMF said the ratios were "madness".
A document tabled at the aged care royal commission outlining patient/staff ratios at the Japara Mirridong Aged Care Home.
The table shows a ratio of one registered nurse to 106 patients is "standard" at the home. (Supplied: Aged care royal commission)

"People are getting six minutes to get a resident out of bed, washed, in a chair, in a lounge room. It's just madness," he told the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.

According to the union head, the reason for the low staffing levels across the industry is reforms made by the Howard government in 1997.

Previously, 70 to 75 per cent of federal government funds were quarantined for staff wages.

Those nursing homes that did not comply had to return the unused funds to the government, and it was stringently monitored.

But following the changes, that quarantine of funds for wages disappeared.

"From this time onwards, homes were required to meet accreditation, rather than allocate protected funding to nursing," Mr Gilbert's statement said.

Mr Gilbert said the effect was almost immediate, with another Japara home, George Vowell in Victoria, dropping its proportion of spending to 56 per cent.
'I could get paid more working on the checkout of Aldi'

It is not just staff numbers under the spotlight but also the pay rates.

"The comment I hear is, 'I could get paid more working on the check out of Aldi', and it's technically true," the Health Workers Union's Lisa Alcock told the royal commission.
Are you worried about aged care in Australia?

We keep hearing horrifying stories about abuse, malnutrition and neglect in nursing homes. Are these isolated cases or is there a widespread problem? Email aged.care@abc.net.au to tell us your story.

Personal care workers are supposed to be paid $20 to $25 an hour, but the union said it had to step in when workers were grossly underpaid.

She cited one worker being paid $15 an hour for the past seven years, working six days a week.

Ms Alcock didn't name the provider but said: "I estimate this underpayment is in excess of $120,000. This matter is ongoing."

Both unions spoke of the difficulties of negotiating enterprise agreements because providers consistently said they were underfunded.

Darren Mathewson from Aged and Community Services Australia said the viability of smaller providers — particularly in regional areas — would be under threat if wages increased, even if the Federal Government increased its aged care funding.

"The Commonwealth announces an increase to subsidies by 1.4 per cent and, therefore, for that organisation which may have limited reserves," he told the commission.

"And I'm probably talking about single service regional providers who may be in the midst of bargaining, then it becomes a real pressure valve in wanting to meet the wage claims which may well be valid of their employees and then continuing to operate"

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Nursing Home 5 Staff To 100 Patients And Underpaid
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:27am

Sounds almost like a place we put mum in for respite. We had to take her back home and cancel our plans because they had 2 staff to the entire respite section and they werent paying any attention to her and not giving her meals, turning her oxygen on, or answering her buzzer when she couldnt breathe. Yeah yeah cods we reported them.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:59am

whiteknight wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 4:49am:
Victorian aged care facility rostering five staff to more than 100 patients, royal commission hears

ABC News
October 17 2009

Nursing homes are notoriously secretive about their staffing ratios. But buried among the hundreds of witness statements submitted to the aged care royal commission was a table showing how one of the country's biggest for-profit chains employed just five staff for 106 residents on the night shift.   Sad
Key points:

The Japara Mirridong aged care home rostered just one registered nurse overnight
    Union head Paul Gilbert told the inquiry staff there had just six minutes to wash and dress patients
    The Health Workers Union said aged care staff could earn more working at supermarkets

The figures came from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (ANMF) and they're about Japara — a company publicly listed on the stock exchange.

The table shows how Japara Mirridong in Bendigo employs 15 personal care workers in the morning, which drops to 11 after lunch, and finally to just four personal care workers and one registered nurse for the night shift.

Paul Gilbert, assistant secretary of the Victorian branch of the ANMF said the ratios were "madness".
A document tabled at the aged care royal commission outlining patient/staff ratios at the Japara Mirridong Aged Care Home.
The table shows a ratio of one registered nurse to 106 patients is "standard" at the home. (Supplied: Aged care royal commission)

"People are getting six minutes to get a resident out of bed, washed, in a chair, in a lounge room. It's just madness," he told the Royal Commission into Aged Care Quality and Safety.

According to the union head, the reason for the low staffing levels across the industry is reforms made by the Howard government in 1997.

Previously, 70 to 75 per cent of federal government funds were quarantined for staff wages.

Those nursing homes that did not comply had to return the unused funds to the government, and it was stringently monitored.

But following the changes, that quarantine of funds for wages disappeared.

"From this time onwards, homes were required to meet accreditation, rather than allocate protected funding to nursing," Mr Gilbert's statement said.

Mr Gilbert said the effect was almost immediate, with another Japara home, George Vowell in Victoria, dropping its proportion of spending to 56 per cent.
'I could get paid more working on the checkout of Aldi'

It is not just staff numbers under the spotlight but also the pay rates.

"The comment I hear is, 'I could get paid more working on the check out of Aldi', and it's technically true," the Health Workers Union's Lisa Alcock told the royal commission.
Are you worried about aged care in Australia?

We keep hearing horrifying stories about abuse, malnutrition and neglect in nursing homes. Are these isolated cases or is there a widespread problem? Email aged.care@abc.net.au to tell us your story.

Personal care workers are supposed to be paid $20 to $25 an hour, but the union said it had to step in when workers were grossly underpaid.

She cited one worker being paid $15 an hour for the past seven years, working six days a week.

Ms Alcock didn't name the provider but said: "I estimate this underpayment is in excess of $120,000. This matter is ongoing."

Both unions spoke of the difficulties of negotiating enterprise agreements because providers consistently said they were underfunded.

Darren Mathewson from Aged and Community Services Australia said the viability of smaller providers — particularly in regional areas — would be under threat if wages increased, even if the Federal Government increased its aged care funding.

"The Commonwealth announces an increase to subsidies by 1.4 per cent and, therefore, for that organisation which may have limited reserves," he told the commission.

"And I'm probably talking about single service regional providers who may be in the midst of bargaining, then it becomes a real pressure valve in wanting to meet the wage claims which may well be valid of their employees and then continuing to operate"

Surprise, surprise. The rodent strikes again.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 6:17am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 5:27am:
Sounds almost like a place we put mum in for respite. We had to take her back home and cancel our plans because they had 2 staff to the entire respite section and they werent paying any attention to her and not giving her meals, turning her oxygen on, or answering her buzzer when she couldnt breathe. Yeah yeah cods we reported them.

Spot

not sure why that comment what have I said to upset you regarding this topic???.. aged care.. Sad

its like every institution   there are good ones and bad ones....we have exactly the same thing in Canberra you need to research......you do realise these places are run by people....and there are a lot of unscrupulous people around...

at the end of the day we are lucky to have aged care  rather than like some countries who rely on the families to care for their old ones....

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 6:43am

cods wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 6:17am:

Spot

not sure why that comment what have I said to upset you regarding this topic???.. aged care.. Sad

its like every institution   there are good ones and bad ones....we have exactly the same thing in Canberra you need to research......you do realise these places are run by people....and there are a lot of unscrupulous people around...

at the end of the day we are lucky to have aged care  rather than like some countries who rely on the families to care for their old ones....

What makes you think im upset? You usually ask that question so i answered ahead of time. It was villagio BTW.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 7:56am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 6:43am:
cods wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 6:17am:

Spot

What makes you think im upset? You usually ask that question so i answered ahead of time. It was villagio BTW.

Spot

do I?....I thought only when it came to forum agro..... Roll Eyes..

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 8:19am

Aged care is a huge problem
The number of people over the age of 80 is set to quadruple in the next 15 years
There is simply no way that this enormous number of people can be given the very best of modern technological healthcare
The best of food
The best of physiotherapy occupational therapy podiatry
The best of nursing care

There is no way that this can be afforded by the budget

Probably what will happen is that the government will be forced to take ownership of the family home and use the funds from that asset to look after people in retirement

Another option would be for people to just accept much much lower levels of care
But if that's the case they will have to stop the complaining

The third option would be for families to get together and look after old people on the understanding the family home will then be available as an asset to be split amongst the family members further down the track

There is no simple solution to this

But just being a little cry baby and throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old and expecting mummy. In this case the federal government acting as your mummy to give you everything you want is never ever ever going to happen
It is a bottomless pit and the government cannot poor endless resources into it

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 8:38am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 8:19am:
Aged care is a huge problem
The number of people over the age of 80 is set to quadruple in the next 15 years
There is simply no way that this enormous number of people can be given the very best of modern technological healthcare
The best of food
The best of physiotherapy occupational therapy podiatry
The best of nursing care

There is no way that this can be afforded by the budget

Probably what will happen is that the government will be forced to take ownership of the family home and use the funds from that asset to look after people in retirement

Another option would be for people to just accept much much lower levels of care
But if that's the case they will have to stop the complaining

The third option would be for families to get together and look after old people on the understanding the family home will then be available as an asset to be split amongst the family members further down the track

There is no simple solution to this

But just being a little cry baby and throwing a tantrum like a 3 year old and expecting mummy. In this case the federal government acting as your mummy to give you everything you want is never ever ever going to happen
It is a bottomless pit and the government cannot poor endless resources into it

The govt is already taking the family homes to pay for it. When I looked into getting a place for dad I asked the price and they said its whatever you have.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 10:17am

Exactly that money is currently taken as a bond but the family get a fair degree of it back when the person passes away
The government is still subsidizing the care to great extent
People don't realise how expensive nursing home care is
It's probably way cheaper to have a room at the Hilton then to be in a nursing home where staff have to permanently be paid 3 shifts a day to attend to your care
That is massively expensive and the government and operators are always going to try and do that on the cheap
well it's not really cheap but they have no option other than to cut staff numbers to try and keep the costs under control to some extent
I just wait and see what happens when the number of elderly people quadruples
The staff are run off their feet already
Try funding that model and expecting the staff to look after four times as many people

It is never ever ever going to happen and it is a totally unrealistic expectation that it could happen
if you are a 60-year-old and think that you are going to receive some gold standard of nursing home care  in 15 years' time or 20 years time you are out of your mind

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 10:23am

aquascoot wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 10:17am:
Exactly that money is currently taken as a bond but the family get a fair degree of it back when the person passes away
The government is still subsidizing the care to great extent
People don't realise how expensive nursing home care is
It's probably way cheaper to have a room at the Hilton then to be in a nursing home where staff have to permanently be paid 3 shifts a day to attend to your care
That is massively expensive and the government and operators are always going to try and do that on the cheap
well it's not really cheap but they have no option other than to cut staff numbers to try and keep the costs under control to some extent
I just wait and see what happens when the number of elderly people quadruples
The staff are run off their feet already
Try funding that model and expecting the staff to look after four times as many people

It is never ever ever going to happen and it is a totally unrealistic expectation that it could happen
if you are a 60-year-old and think that you are going to receive some gold standard of nursing home care  in 15 years' time or 20 years time you are out of your mind

Then why are the private ones which charge the same so much better?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 1:23pm

Unfortunately Aqua is right, this is all about money. 

Most of these aged care places are profit driven.  There are only limited amount of public funding, and since those companies (e.g. BUPA), have to answer to their shareholders, they have to lower the cost, and that means:
1. Less quality and quantity of food
2. Inferior quality of equipment.
3. Poor individual pay rates, and reduction of staff numbers.

This is why you see, something like 2 to 4 staff per 100 resident per night.  And all it takes is one sick resident... which is not unusual for facility of that size due to age demographic, then the shifts are chaotic. 

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 2:33pm

Euthanasia is the answer.

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 4:05pm

juliar wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 2:33pm:
Euthanasia is the answer.

Are you volunteering?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 4:45pm

If the Chinese Labor Party had got in one probably would feel like it.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 2:41pm

juliar wrote on Oct 17th, 2019 at 4:45pm:
If the Chinese Labor Party had got in one probably would feel like it.

I hope you end up in one of those LNP run profit driven nursing homes taking kerosene baths Cheesy LOL

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print