Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Cashless Welfare Cards Are A Failure (Read 7399 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Cashless Welfare Cards Are A Failure
Sep 25th, 2019 at 5:57pm

September 25 2019
Cashless welfare cards a failure: academic   Sad
Canberra Times

Academic Marcia Langton described cashless welfare as a failure despite supporting the trial.

Indigenous academic Marcia Langton has declared cashless welfare card trials a "tragic failure" that have punished Centrelink recipients.

Professor Langton originally supported the trials but has since changed her mind, saying an essential part of the design was never implemented.

Local leaders in Kununurra in the East Kimberley wanted to take part in the trial and contributed to its design.

They wanted to solve problems including alcohol-fuelled violence and child neglect in remote Aboriginal communities.

As part of the trial, the leaders recommended a committee of people living in the community make decisions about people who should be taken off the cashless welfare cards and receive their full income in cash.

Professor Langton said it was a tragedy the federal government departments responsible had not implemented the scheme in accordance with the commitments they made to indigenous leaders.

"They've let them down badly and now the system has been brought into disrepute by the viciousness of its implementation," she told the National Press Club in Canberra on Wednesday.

Professor Langton said the idea of the cards, along with other welfare reforms, was to wean people off social security and make them useful members of the economy.

"Not to savagely punish them," she said.

"Instead of sticking to the plan, minister after minister and bureaucrat after bureaucrat have wielded a big stick to punish the poor.   Sad

"It's pointless, and it's brutal, and I'm very disappointed."

The cashless welfare cards quarantine 80 per cent of Centrelink payments so the money can only be spent on essential items, rather than alcohol or gambling.

The cards are being trialled in Kununurra and the Goldfields in Western Australia, Ceduna in South Australia, and Hervey Bay in Queensland.

The federal government wants to extend these trials and introduce the cards into Cape York and the Northern Territory.

Draft laws to expand the scheme are before the lower house of federal parliament.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Cashless Welfare Cards Are A Failure
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 7:40pm

everything the libs do is a failure.

they just have murdoch in ther pocket to pretend otherwise for them

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 7:41pm

She may call it a failure because she doesnt like the rules but it is working, in a big way. Should have been brought in years ago. Anyone who has ever seen all the abo kids hanging around outside the pub in these communities knows it is working.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 8:14pm

'The card declined and I broke down': Life on the cashless welfare card   Sad

September 14, 2019
Sydney Morning Herald

Kerryn, a single mother of four, cannot talk about the cashless welfare card's impact on her nine-year-old daughter without crying.

"I can manage all the issues and problems with the card but what I can't handle is the way that it's affecting my children," she says from Bundaberg, in south-east Queensland.

Pressure is building for a national rollout of the cashless welfare card with calls to expand the program for all dole recipients under age of 35.

"My nine-year-old doesn't want to ask me for things anymore because she's - I don't have the cash to do it. She's told me that we're poor now because I now have to say no to things I used to say yes to."   Sad

The 32-year-old is one of about 15,000 Australians using the government's cashless debit card - which quarantines 80 per cent of unemployment and other welfare payments to limit spending on alcohol, drugs or gambling.

Trials of the card started in 2016 in Ceduna, in remote South Australia, and the East Kimberley region in Western Australia before being introduced in the WA goldfields and the Bundaberg and Hervey Bay region in Queensland.

The federal government is now planning to extend the trials to another 22,500 people in Cape York and the Northern Territory, and Prime Minister Scott Morrison is eyeing an eventual national rollout as part of a reset of its welfare agenda he says is driven by "compassionate conservatism".

But the towns on the front line remain divided: community workers have seen the card help some and burden others; health professionals say addiction is a health, not welfare, issue and question the card's success in reducing substance abuse; and welfare groups say the card stigmatises already vulnerable people and increases their financial stress.

The cashless debit card restricts welfare recipients to roughly $200 cash a month and prevents them purchasing goods from stores whose main trade is alcohol. Gift cards for stores with alcohol can't be purchased and users can't withdraw cash or direct debit to unapproved accounts.

Card users who spoke to The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age say their lives are more stressful and finances more precarious since they joined the trials.

In Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, a single mother with four kids and no job, who asked not to be named because she recently fled domestic violence, says she wasn't able to send one of her children on a school camp because she has restricted access to cash.

"The same thing with school excursions," says the 38-year-old, who has been on the card for a year.

For the same reason, the mature-aged student hasn't been able to buy cheaper second-hand textbooks for university.'

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 8:48pm

Over emotional twaddle. people being forced to budget for the first time in  their lives.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 9:17pm

So WhiteKnight of Nights, for lack of being a Sir Loin Meat.

I read a lot of accusations that it is a 'Failure'.
But nothing about 'How' giving the 'Bludgers' a 'Cashless' (USA style) Card for 'necessities' it is failing?  Huh
While the 'Battlers' still get the Cash.

I see you still supporting the 'Bludgers' as usual, let alone the Cheap Asian Labour trying to get 'High Australian Wages' to send back home. Ever see that Doco on all the Afghanistani Men living in the tunnels and sewers beneath Tokyo so they too can 'cash' in on the Nipponese Yen wage and conversion for money to be sent back home.

Draw a  ______________________

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:05pm

Quote:
Professor Langton said the idea of the cards, along with other welfare reforms, was to wean people off social security and make them useful members of the economy.

The answer the Libs will never consider: push the unemployment rate down to 2% or lower and mandate full employment by law backed by a Job Guarantee.

Australia has a serious problem with chronic high unemployment that has persisted for over 40 years. No amount of supply-side pressure will fix the lack of demand for Australian workers. Right now, 15 OECD countries have an unemployment rate that is lower than Australia has managed at any time in the last 40 years. Until this problem of chronic high unemployment is addressed, we will always have economic victims. Scapegoating these victims will not fix anything.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:07pm

As long as the Governments keep pushing the Feminism envelope and keep the women 'Working' for their Economic benefit and not having babies and affording to stay at home to promote good upkeeping of the children.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:54pm

Bam wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:05pm:
Quote:

The answer the Libs will never consider: push the unemployment rate down to 2% or lower and mandate full employment by law backed by a Job Guarantee.

Australia has a serious problem with chronic high unemployment that has persisted for over 40 years. No amount of supply-side pressure will fix the lack of demand for Australian workers. Right now, 15 OECD countries have an unemployment rate that is lower than Australia has managed at any time in the last 40 years. Until this problem of chronic high unemployment is addressed, we will always have economic victims. Scapegoating these victims will not fix anything.
I wouldnt disagree with any of this but its the kids who suffer in these remote communities. It is a serious issue that their parents spend welfare money on grog, cigarettes and  junk food often leaving the kids go hungry or at the best severely neglected. If the PC brigade wont allow us to take the kids off them anymore then we have a responsibility to do something.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:59pm

It's only the 'Americanised' Australians and Aboriginals that do it. Most of the crimes are 'Americanised' people doing them.

See. We are not the Criminal afterall.
'We' are the Free.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 11:00am

Honest Government ad

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 12:00pm

rhino wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:54pm:
Bam wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 10:05pm:
Quote:

I wouldnt disagree with any of this but its the kids who suffer in these remote communities. It is a serious issue that their parents spend welfare money on grog, cigarettes and  junk food often leaving the kids go hungry or at the best severely neglected. If the PC brigade wont allow us to take the kids off them anymore then we have a responsibility to do something.

I find it odd how I propose a realistic solution and then you complain that "we have a responsibility to do something".

Perhaps you don't know what a Job Guarantee is. It is a program where the government provides useful community work for unemployed workers who cannot find work in the private sector.

Redirecting the $12,000 that the cards cost, cutting the other wasteful and ineffective programs and putting the savings into a Job Guarantee would allow the government to create enough work at the minimum wage to provide four days of work a week for every unemployed worker in the country. All it needs to run is a reinstated Commonwealth Employment Service with an expanded mandate.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 12:22pm

rhino wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 7:41pm:
She may call it a failure because she doesnt like the rules but it is working, in a big way. Should have been brought in years ago. Anyone who has ever seen all the abo kids hanging around outside the pub in these communities knows it is working. 

Maybe for a few but its NOT working for the 100s of ppl who are not alcohol or gambling dependant. The carers and the pensioners that are being punished.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2019 at 12:24pm

rhino wrote on Sep 25th, 2019 at 8:48pm:
Over emotional twaddle. people being forced to budget for the first time in  their lives.

what is wrong with you? Ppl are being forced NOT to budget on that card. The govt takes 80% of the money and quarantines it and if you do a tiny bit of googling you will find rents not being paid and regos bot being paid etc because of the GOVTs handling of it.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne