Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Poverty Rates In Newstart Households Rising (Read 348 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Poverty Rates In Newstart Households Rising
Sep 15th, 2019 at 7:58am

September 15 2019
Poverty rates in Newstart households rising, Centre for Social Research and Methods report finds  Sad

Canberra Times.

Households surviving on government allowances such as Newstart or Youth Allowance are twice as likely to be living in poverty than 25 years ago, new research shows.

In 2017, 79.9 per cent of households with government allowances as their main income, not including payments like the aged or disability pensions, were considered to be living in poverty after their housing was paid for, compared with 39 per cent in 1993.

About 1.26 million households are considered to be in poverty after-housing, including households where income comes from wages or salary, business or pensions.

Households with allowances as their main form of income were living $124 a week below the poverty line in 2017, a huge increase from $25 below in 1993.

The research, from the Australian National University's Centre for Social Research and Methods, also shows 64.7 per cent of households who relied on government allowances were in financial stress in 2015, compared to 48.9 per cent in 2003.

Households both in poverty and experiencing financial hardship make up 5.7 per cent of households, but 56.4 per cent of households on allowances were both considered in poverty and in financial stress.

Researcher Ben Phillips said the rate of people living on government allowances experiencing poverty was because payments rates of Newstart had risen only with the consumer price index, while wage growth had been strong "and those on allowances are stuck in a standard of living of the mid 1990s".   Sad

"We've had real growth in incomes, but for those on allowances nearly two in three are having fairly serious financial stress. That's a fairly alarming statistic, as I see it," Mr Phillips said.

"Rental costs have increased more strongly for low income households than their incomes have," Mr Phillips said, which contributes to the increasing number of households considered to be living in after-housing poverty.   Sad

The study also showed the rate at which people were reliant on the Newstart payment for longer than a year has been on a steady upward curve. More than two-thirds of Newstart recipients at the end of 2018 had been on the payment for more than a year, and more than 20 per cent for more than five years.   

According to the earliest available departmental figures from February 1994, then the rate people were on the unemployment payment for more than a year was 48.8 per cent.

Mr Phillips said people from vulnerable groups who would once have been on a disability support or parenting payment are now receiving Newstart, contributing to the long-term trend.

"Poverty rates and financial hardship for households relying heavily on Newstart and other allowance payments have been driven by the payment rates not keeping pace with the general standard of living of other households in Australia, particularly through the 1990s and 2000s where incomes and living standards increased significantly for most Australian households," the study said.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Poverty Rates In Newstart Households Rising
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:03am

When will the unemployed ever get a fair and just increase?.   Sad

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 9:26am

I didn't think the poverty rate in Newstart households would ever rise - it's as fixed as the firmament.... they're all living in poverty all of the time ....

Those who calculatedly impose suffering on others for personal gain should stand trial before the people's court once the revolution has succeeded .... following every successful revolution the first to the wall are the judges and politicians..... can't understand why meself.....  Cool

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:25pm

whiteknight wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:03am:

When they get a job.  Smiley

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:37pm

In the distant past poverty meant the subject was experiencing hunger all the time.

It no longer means that. It means now that they can't afford entertainment and social outings.

If unemployment becomes too comfortable people will start to see it as enjoyable and an attractive lifestyle option.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:57pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:37pm:
In the distant past poverty meant the subject was experiencing hunger all the time.

It no longer means that. It means now that they can't afford entertainment and social outings.

If unemployment becomes too comfortable people will start to see it as enjoyable and an attractive lifestyle option.

Didnt someone post stats of how many meals ppl on the dole miss every day?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #6 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 5:22pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:25pm:
whiteknight wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:03am:

When they get a job.  Smiley

When will self funded retirees get a fair go?
When will pensioners get a fair go?
When will the working tax payers get a fair go?

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 6:52pm

Try moving forward 200 years - we don't all live in Darkest India etc ..... BTW ... how many new jobs will we put you down for this week? 

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:03pm

No Room for Poor People in this Country of Wealth and Work.
No room for People who just breed on the backs of others.

Thankfully we have a compassionate plan in place that allows us to save them from such a terrible plight of coming to one of the most expensive nations on the planet. We help them to 'turn the boats' back to the safety of their homeland.
With warning signs like
"Go Back - Too Expensive!"
waved at them from shore.

It's like Trump's Mexican Wall. It would be there to help protect the Mexicans from all the 'fully armed' American Citizens that would otherwise 'invade' as if Duck Season had  just commenced.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

April_Flowers

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:05pm

There are lots of jobs out there and there are also lots of lazy arseholes who have stopped looking or consider moving elsewhere to WORK.

They are relying on The Government ... the Government doesn't have any money, all the money comes from US the people who do WORK and pay TAX.

So the Welfare lot are sponging off US, their Aussie compatriots. Pity that they are so stupid that they don't realise it.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:21pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:57pm:

Didnt someone post stats of how many meals ppl on the dole miss every day?

Spot

unlikely

obesity is a much bigger problem in those on welfare then in those who work

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2019 at 5:10am

April_Flowers wrote on Sep 16th, 2019 at 7:05pm:
There are lots of jobs out there and there are also lots of lazy arseholes who have stopped looking or consider moving elsewhere to WORK.

They are relying on The Government ... the Government doesn't have any money, all the money comes from US the people who do WORK and pay TAX.

So the Welfare lot are sponging off US, their Aussie compatriots. Pity that they are so stupid that they don't realise it.

And certain groups of people see welfare as their only income and try hard to get the most out of it, without actually doing any work.

You know who I mean
Abbos and muzzos

Welfare is a free ride to them.
Greedy and wasteful

I have worked and paid tax since I was just under 15
I educated myself to earn a good income and have a nice comfortable lifestyle and toys.
I have a reasonable super balance,

But the grubberment wants more from me
They want my super
They want my house
They want my savings and toys
WHY?
TO GIVE TO THE LAZY, GREEDY DEAD SHITES WHO ARE TOO STUPID AND LAZY TO WORK.

Give people a livable dole.
But put a time limit on it
2 years and then the money runs out
If you don't have a job after 2 years, you aren't trying.
Move to somewhere there is jobs
Living on your "tribal land" is not a job
You want money, get a frigging job.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print