Send Topic Print
new anti-vegan laws (Read 275 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
new anti-vegan laws
Sep 14th, 2019 at 7:25am

Farm trespass laws pass making it illegal to use websites, social media to incite others

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-13/federal-farm-trespass-laws-passed/11509006

People who use a carriage service such as websites and social media to incite others to break into farms could be sent to jail under new laws passed through Federal Parliament.

Agriculture Minister Bridget McKenzie said farmers should feel safe at home and at work.

"Animal activists who seek to incite others to trespass and break the law are on notice, as of the Royal assent being granted to the legislation passed through the Parliament today, they'll be subject to up to five years' jail time," Ms McKenzie said.

Protections in place
The laws were opposed by the Greens but following amendments had the support of Labor.

The Law Council of Australia had raised concerns that the laws could hinder press freedoms, and welcomed the amendments.

"The amendments strengthen the protections available to journalists under the legislation by removing the requirement that a journalist must prove disclosure of 'offending' material was in the public interest," said Law Council president Arthur Moses.

Extended to timber industry
The forestry industry also welcomed amendments which will see the new laws apply to timber and pulp mills under the definition of primary production businesses.

The Australian Forestry Products Association's Ross Hampton said the new laws sent a strong message to timber workers "that they should be allowed to go about their lawful business without fear of having their livelihoods compromised by illegal protests".

"For decades, forest workplaces have been subject to aggressive and damaging interference from activists with disastrous financial impacts on lawful businesses, despite Australia having some of the most sustainable, regulated forestry practices in the world," Mr Hampton said.

The National Farmers' Federation has also welcomed the laws.

The NSW Government has amended its biosecurity laws so that a person found to trespass on farm in that state could be fined more than $400,000.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: new anti-vegan laws
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 7:39am

freediver wrote on Sep 14th, 2019 at 7:25am:
Farm trespass laws pass making it illegal to use websites, social media to incite others

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-13/federal-farm-trespass-laws-passed/11509006

People who use a carriage service such as websites and social media to incite others to break into farms could be sent to jail under new laws passed through Federal Parliament.

Agriculture Minister Bridget McKenzie said farmers should feel safe at home and at work.

"Animal activists who seek to incite others to trespass and break the law are on notice, as of the Royal assent being granted to the legislation passed through the Parliament today, they'll be subject to up to five years' jail time," Ms McKenzie said.

Protections in place
The laws were opposed by the Greens but following amendments had the support of Labor.

The Law Council of Australia had raised concerns that the laws could hinder press freedoms, and welcomed the amendments.

"The amendments strengthen the protections available to journalists under the legislation by removing the requirement that a journalist must prove disclosure of 'offending' material was in the public interest," said Law Council president Arthur Moses.

Extended to timber industry
The forestry industry also welcomed amendments which will see the new laws apply to timber and pulp mills under the definition of primary production businesses.

The Australian Forestry Products Association's Ross Hampton said the new laws sent a strong message to timber workers "that they should be allowed to go about their lawful business without fear of having their livelihoods compromised by illegal protests".

"For decades, forest workplaces have been subject to aggressive and damaging interference from activists with disastrous financial impacts on lawful businesses, despite Australia having some of the most sustainable, regulated forestry practices in the world," Mr Hampton said.

The National Farmers' Federation has also welcomed the laws.

The NSW Government has amended its biosecurity laws so that a person found to trespass on farm in that state could be fined more than $400,000.

Sounds fair enough .... the NZ & Aust govt jumped pretty quickly to shut down any material regarding the Christchurch shootings with heavy penalties in place for sharing it.

Keeping these deluded fools from trespassing & harassing people on their own property because of their warped belief is a step in the right direction.

The law could also include those pesky Jehovah Witnesses too. Smiley

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:22am

freediver,

I wish that you had titled this thread more appropriately, more accurately....

e.g.
New anti, farm trespass laws

IMO, this issue has nothing to do with vegan-ism or vegans.

p.s.
Yadda is a veggie, who also eats fish and dairy      [...especially 'Cadbury' branded products].

And i am in opposition to unlawful trespass, on farms, or anywhere else.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:26am

how is that an anti vegan law?  Cheesy Cheesy

Been hitting the turps again FD?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:34am

You don't see meat eaters breaking into vege farms to set the lettuce free.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:36am

freediver wrote on Sep 14th, 2019 at 8:34am:
You don't see meat eaters breaking into vege farms to set the lettuce free.

you could have just answered in the positive and not made an idiot of yourself. No one would have known if it was true or not.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2019 at 10:48am

A good thing and long overdue.

Many of these vegans are repeat offenders who have been given a slap on the wrist for home invasions on farms.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print