Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Never to be released for worst paedophiles. (Read 607 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Never to be released for worst paedophiles.
Sep 3rd, 2019 at 10:13am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/new-laws-would-force-judges-to-jail-p...
Judges would have no choice but to jail paedophiles under laws being proposed by the federal government.

In the most significant ­reforms to punishment of child sex crimes in 25 years, the tough new laws ensure the worst offenders would face life behind bars for the first time.

Getting bail or parole would also become more difficult.

Attorney-General Christian Porter said “sweeping changes” were needed because the judiciary was out of step with community expectations.

Attorney-General Christian Porter wants ‘sweeping changes’ to laws to make sentences tougher on paedophiles. Picture: AAP/Bianca De Marchi
Attorney-General Christian Porter wants ‘sweeping changes’ to laws to make sentences tougher on paedophiles. Picture: AAP/Bianca De Marchi
“It simply beggars belief that nearly a third of all child sex offenders who were sentenced last year were not ­required to spend a single day behind bars, despite the devastating and lifelong impacts that their crimes have on their young victims and their families,” Mr Porter said.

About 300 paedophiles were convicted under Commonwealth offences last year, meaning about 100 walked free. In one NSW example, a judge suspended the 18-month sentence for a man convicted of one count of grooming a 14-year-old boy for sexual activity and five counts of using a carriage service to send indecent material to a person under 16.

The government’s proposal would mandate prison and there would be a presumption in favour of adding together the sentences for each offence instead of them being served concurrently.

The bill also prescribes the minimum sentence could be no less than a quarter of the maxi

The proposed laws are mainly aimed at online and international child sex crimes because state offences apply when there is physical contact between a predator and victim.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said the Australian Federal Police received almost 18,000 reports of exploitation involving Australian children or sex offenders last year, nearly double the number in 2017.

The message we are sending to paedophiles is that it won’t matter how good their lawyer is, a prison cell will be waiting for them when they are convicted,” Mr Dutton said.

And while judges would still get to set parole periods, the Attorney-General could put offenders back in prison.

The bill is expected to be introduced to parliament next week with the Coalition confident of success.

The Coalition tried to get similar legislation passed in 2017 but failed after Labor would not support mandatory sentencing believing juries would be less likely to convict if they knew judges had no ­discretion on sentencing.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Never to be released for worst paedophiles.
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 10:29am

It's much simpler to just hang them.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:16am

Even FedGuvCo comes up with a good idea now and then ...

"The Coalition tried to get similar legislation passed in 2017 but failed after Labor would not support mandatory sentencing believing juries would be less likely to convict if they knew judges had no ­discretion on sentencing."

I doubt judges would feel that way - other than it being a slight to their egos... on the other hand, I've long advocated that it is the duty of a judge and the judiciary overall to refuse to even hear a matter in which it is clear the rule of Law is being contravened or circumvented.... in that case Law and not law would be the Law Of the Land... and all these sneaky little things that politician try on via legislation and a supine magistracy/judiciary allowing to pass, would cease immediately.

If it does not accord fully with the Rule Of Law - it is verboten!  It does not make the Rule Of Law, which is an immutable Constitution on which law-making must be based, but must abide by it - and there are rules, such as that all must be treated equally and that the rights of a defendant are paramount, and that a magistrate/judge is sitting in lieu of a jury = the people as sovereign, and in lieu of Her Majesty, and must consider what a jury or 'Er Maj would consider a fair thing, in keeping with her position as First Sovereign in a Sovereignty of the People (first among equals).

The Judiciary is also in need of a full overhaul to enter the 21st Century ...
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:25am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:40am

So now theres another thing worse than murder

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:44pm

I can't agree with Bobby because that is far too quick.

The really bad sexual predators, I prefer life means life and chain gangs should be brought back with guards who hate them as much as me, contribute to the project in hand or answer to the said guards.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 4:52pm

moses wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:44pm:

The really bad sexual predators, I prefer life means life and chain gangs should be brought back with guards who hate them as much as me, contribute to the project in hand or answer to the said guards.

We can kill two birds with one stone.

Take them out into the ocean, 50 to 100 Klm out.

Dump them overboard and then come back.

The sharks will get a nice feed, and if we do it often enough, they will get to be waiting and leaving the beaches safe

Then, if we run out of muzzo pedo, priest Pedro's and just plain Pedro's
We can start tossing politicians and senior public servants in.

Win win.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 5:55pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 11:40am:
So now theres another thing worse than murder

Spot

it is for some people......lucky you you wouldnt have a clue what it does mentally to many...... and yes a living death if you like....it stunts them and makes them bitter and stuck in the past....

and now one of our most infamous paedo/murderers  is being released on Thursday
Michael Guider..... this law sadly far too late to keep him locked up for ever thanks to labor.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2019 at 6:37pm

moses wrote on Sep 3rd, 2019 at 3:44pm:

But it's not about vengeance or revenge -

it's about cleaning up society of all the scum.

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 4th, 2019 at 10:13pm

Oh society would be clean under my way, they would be locked away for life, castration then into the chain gang doing something useful.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print