Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Navigating the politics of identity (Read 5747 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Navigating the politics of identity
Sep 2nd, 2019 at 3:02pm

A very interesting Radio Nation programme.  Well worth listening to.  Navigating the politics of identity   Cool

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Navigating the politics of identity
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 3:10pm

Using a white example (Ireland) to explain identity politics. How typical.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 4:20pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 2nd, 2019 at 3:10pm:

Using a deeply divided example which had two or three different tribes who happened to be white.  You should like the bit about the Muslims, Hammer...  Listen to it, it might make you think a little bit harder about what you're always rabbiting on about.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

miketrees

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2019 at 10:36pm

I listened
The woman had mental issues which clouded her judgment
Actually she was just full of bitterness and hatred
The bloke was just a self opinionated tosser.
The interviewer never took them to task as they should have.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 7:33pm

“To me, identity means that sense of yourself in a room by yourself, and then those things that you accumulate along the way: what you care about; what you don’t, which can be just as important; whom you love. And that, to me, that’s identity. And that’s interesting.  Character is interesting. And the way we change, and refine ourselves or sometimes slip backwards, that’s just fascinating. So I resist the whole notion that what defines us are these groups we were born members of. I find that a grim, flat, ugly way of looking at the world.”
Lionel Shriver.

Identity politics - 'gender', race and all the rest of it - is shite. Touch it and you too will be smeared and contaminated.

'Gender' identity and politics is particularly Bwianesque and stupid and parochial (same things, really). Gender neutral language is impossible in French or German, for example, where every noun is gendered, mostly arbitrarily.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2019 at 7:41pm by Frank »  

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 10:35pm

James  Carleton- a most irksome little man. On RN breakfast he was a presence of very little value for years. Now he has a program the Bwianesque demographic finds interesting.
The supercilious speaks to the supercilious.

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2019 at 10:43am by Frank »  

IP Logged

miketrees

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 9:48pm

I will continue to delete any posts that appear to just be trying to troll

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:06pm

Is there something about Irish resentment that is present in various Australian political discourses, around Unions, Aborigines, the resentment industry?

I have no view but I have heard anecdotally that there is a resentful Irish undercurrent in Australian social and political discourse.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Sep 18th, 2019 at 9:36pm

Frank wrote on Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:06pm:

Is there something about Irish resentment that is present in various Australian political discourses, around Unions, Aborigines, the resentment industry?

I have no view but I have heard anecdotally that there is a resentful Irish undercurrent in Australian social and political discourse.

I suggest you read Thomas Keneally's book, "The Great Shame" which is about the Irish in Australia over the last two centuries, Soren.  It will tell you all you want to know about how badly the Irish have been treated downunder.  Roll Eyes

The Irish, being Catholics were not trusted by the English Protestants and Australia was wracked until about 1965 by sectarian discrimination on the basis of religion.  The Catholics were discriminated against in employment, education and religion. 

In the Commonwealth Public Service there was no such discrimination, which is why my own father left the South Australian Public Service to join the Commonwealth Public Service after WWII.  In the South Australian Public Service you could not rise to become a Clerk if you were a Catholic.   You were barred on the basis of religion and you were limited to only being a Clerical Assistant.

When the Catholics asked for funds for Catholic schools, the State and Federal Government's initially refused.  The Catholics revolted and closed their own schools and sent all their kids to the State schools.   The State schools were unable to cope and this forced the Commonwealth Government to fund Catholic schools - How a Catholic school's fight over a toilet evolved into high-stakes political warfare.

After that, the Sectarian divide basically disappeared and today, few Australians know of it.  It has almost disappeared completely from Australian society but it did exist.  I know.  My father and my family were victims of it, Soren.   It is why I fight against discrimination against anybody on the basis of religion and that includes Muslims.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 7:51pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 18th, 2019 at 9:36pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 18th, 2019 at 7:06pm:

I suggest you read Thomas Keneally's book, "The Great Shame" which is about the Irish in Australia over the last two centuries, Soren.  It will tell you all you want to know about how badly the Irish have been treated downunder.  Roll Eyes

The Irish, being Catholics were not trusted by the English Protestants and Australia was wracked until about 1965 by sectarian discrimination on the basis of religion.  The Catholics were discriminated against in employment, education and religion. 

In the Commonwealth Public Service there was no such discrimination, which is why my own father left the South Australian Public Service to join the Commonwealth Public Service after WWII.  In the South Australian Public Service you could not rise to become a Clerk if you were a Catholic.   You were barred on the basis of religion and you were limited to only being a Clerical Assistant.

When the Catholics asked for funds for Catholic schools, the State and Federal Government's initially refused.  The Catholics revolted and closed their own schools and sent all their kids to the State schools.   The State schools were unable to cope and this forced the Commonwealth Government to fund Catholic schools - How a Catholic school's fight over a toilet evolved into high-stakes political warfare.

After that, the Sectarian divide basically disappeared and today, few Australians know of it.  It has almost disappeared completely from Australian society but it did exist.  I know.  My father and my family were victims of it, Soren.   It is why I fight against discrimination against anybody on the basis of religion and that includes Muslims.   Roll Eyes

Would you defend Scientology and Woodoo and the Hindu case system? Of course not.  So ddon't be everyone's ready-made champion, Bwian, it's idiotic and insincere.

I am aware of the Catholic/Protestant schism - hardly unique to Australia - but I am asking about the lingering rancour, which I think you display as well.  This is the kind of rancour that the Irish have infected the Aborigines with and are now infecting immigrant groups like the Muslims, Africans, anyone who would buy into their resentment and undying rancour against - what? The English? Protestants? what is eating at your hearts? What would give you peace?

Nothing. Rancour is all. That's what I am asking about - the undying resentment of the Irish, even when there is emancipation, peace, equality. The hate and resentment burns on, infecting all who come into contact with it unawares.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2019 at 8:25pm

Frank wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 7:51pm:
Would you defend Scientology and Woodoo and the Hindu case system? Of course not.  So ddon't be everyone's ready-made champion, Bwian, it's idiotic and insincere.

In truth, I do not defend Nazis and Fascists and of course, Racists or Islamophobes, Soren.  Your problem is you seek justification for what cannot be justified.  You have never been a victim of discrimination.  When you have, get back to us, OK?  I believe everybody deserves a fair go, just as did Prime Minister John Winston Howard (although in truth he mean a fair go only for those that supported the Tories and not of course those that didn't).  Roll Eyes

Quote:
I am aware of the Catholic/Protestant schism - hardly unique to Australia - but I am asking about the lingering rancour, which I think you display as well.  This is the kind of rancour that the Irish have infected the Aborigines with and are now infecting immigrant groups like the Muslims, Africans, anyone who would buy into their resentment and undying rancour against - what? The English? Protestants? what is eating at your hearts? What would give you peace?

Fairness, Soren.  I know the concept of the Fair Go is alien to you, being a Dane.  However, Australians have learnt the hard way, that without a fair go, they'll never get ahead.  The English hated the idea of the fair go.  Indeed, I really only learnt and understood it myself from my experience in the Army.   Perhaps you should join up?  You know, to get to become a real Australian?  Roll Eyes

Quote:
Nothing. Rancour is all. That's what I am asking about - the undying resentment of the Irish, even when there is emancipation, peace, equality. The hate and resentment burns on, infecting all who come into contact with it unawares.

As I have said, you're not a real Australian, Soren, are you?  You flew here, I grew here.  The Fair Go was embued into my spirit from the moment of my birth.   Australians have done it tough.  We created the ideal of the Fair Go for a reason.   When you've worked it out, you might be able to call yourself a "New Australian".   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 1:49pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 20th, 2019 at 8:25pm:
As I have said, you're not a real Australian, Soren, are you?  You flew here, I grew here.  The Fair Go was embued into my spirit from the moment of my birth.   Australians have done it tough.

No doubt you never tire of saying same thing to your Muslim mates and all the other third world immigrants you know.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 7:45pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 2:53pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 1:49pm:
As I have said, you're not a real Australian, Soren, are you?  You flew here, I grew here.  The Fair Go was embued into my spirit from the moment of my birth.   Australians have done it tough.

No doubt you never tire of saying same thing to your Muslim mates and all the other third world immigrants you know.

Still avoiding the point?  How unsurprising, hey, Soren, you New Australian.  Tsk, tsk, I say the same things to my other immigrant friends when they make the same mistakes you do.  Now, time to get with the flow, time to become a real Australian, you Danish blow-in.  Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

Welcome to country, Bwian.  Danes made your culture.  Bow down and pay your respects.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 8:44pm

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 7:45pm:
Danes made your culture

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

just how deluded can one person get?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #14 - Sep 21st, 2019 at 9:07pm

Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 7:45pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 2:53pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 21st, 2019 at 1:49pm:

Still avoiding the point?  How unsurprising, hey, Soren, you New Australian.  Tsk, tsk, I say the same things to my other immigrant friends when they make the same mistakes you do.  Now, time to get with the flow, time to become a real Australian, you Danish blow-in.  Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

Welcome to country, Bwian.  Danes made your culture.  Bow down and pay your respects.

I wasn't aware that the Danes were even in Australia before your arrival on the scene,  Soren.  I am 100% Australian.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print