Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Figi Slams Australia's Deputy PM For Comments (Read 1024 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Figi Slams Australia's Deputy PM For Comments
Aug 18th, 2019 at 1:57pm

Fiji slams Australia's Deputy PM for saying Pacific nations can survive climate change by picking fruit

ABC News
August 17 2019

Fijian Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama has accused the Australian Government of taking a "big step backwards" in its relations with the Pacific, after Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack was captured on tape saying island nations affected by climate change would continue to survive by picking Australian fruit.   

Footage published by The Guardian shows Mr McCormack at a business function in Wagga Wagga, after Australia stymied efforts by small island states to get Pacific-wide consensus on their declaration for stronger action on climate change.

The watered-down agreement ended marathon talks at the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) in Tuvalu, where the smaller Pacific nations had been pushing for a phase-out of coal in the power sector, which Australia resisted.

But Mr McCormack, who was acting prime minister at the time, told the function the Pacific nations would be fine.

"[I] get a little bit annoyed when we have people in those sorts of countries pointing the finger at Australia and say we should be shutting down all our resources sector so that they will continue to survive," he said.

"They will continue to survive, there's no question they will continue to survive, they will continue to survive with large aid assistance from Australia.

"They will continue to survive because many of their workers come here and pick our fruit."

The Fijian Prime Minister responded to the comments on Twitter.

Fears comments could push Pacific into China's arms

The Shadow Minister for the Pacific, Pat Conroy, said Mr McCormack's comments had rubbed salt into fresh wounds.   Sad

"They're incredibly offensive, they're ill-informed, are counter-productive and will further undermine Australia's position in the Pacific," he said.

Mr Conroy said he was concerned the remarks would have diplomatic consequences in a region where China was gaining an increasing foothold.

"It can only make them more predisposed towards China," he said.

"Our goal always has been to be the partner of choice for Pacific island nations.

"Mr McCormack's inflammatory and ill-informed comments force the Pacific to look towards other partners and that's bad strategically for Australia, and it will lead potentially to very dire repercussions down the road."   Sad

Pacific pivot undermined
Australia's return to its Pacific neighbours after years of neglect could risk being undermined by the Government's intransigence on the region's main threat: climate change.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison defended Australia's relationship with the Pacific when asked about the comments in Adelaide on Saturday.

"Australia has the deepest engagement and biggest commitment of any nation in the world in the Pacific," he said.

"Australians should be very proud of the way we work closely with our Pacific family.

"We're there for the difficult conversations, we're there for every time of conversation with our Pacific family.

"We've always been there, we will always be there."

A spokeswoman for the Deputy Prime Minister declined to comment.  Sad   

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Figi Slams Australia's Deputy PM For Comments
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:06pm

whiteknight wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 1:57pm:
Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack was captured on tape saying island nations affected by climate change would continue to survive by picking Australian fruit.   

a deplorable comment.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:20pm

But they will happily swallow their pride at such comments when they receive the money. Wink

How is climate change affecting them again? Improved island area on average. So sad. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:32pm

Quote:

No I don't believe it. Australia has a deputy PM ?

Who is it I wonder ?

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 5:46pm

No one has said Australia should be shutting down all our resources sector....Fossil fuel revenue is more important to the Coalition than the existence of Pacific Island nations according the deputy Prime Ministers own words....What a complete dickhead!!!

Quote:
"[I] get a little bit annoyed when we have people in those sorts of countries pointing the finger at Australia and say we should be shutting down all our resources sector so that they will continue to survive," he said.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 6:13pm

philperth2010 wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 5:46pm:
No one has said Australia should be shutting down all our resources sector....Fossil fuel revenue is more important to the Coalition than the existence of Pacific Island nations according the deputy Prime Ministers own words..

Now all you have to do is link them. Wink

Fossil fuel revenue is part of the resources sector sales.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 7:42pm

scoMo emerged from the Coconut conference smelling of roses after he bribed the Coconuts with lots of infrastructure.

The utter hypocrisy of the Coconuts in cuddling up to China the biggest emitters of everything that is bad and then trying to blackmail ScoMo over Australia's tiny emissions.

All the Coconuts are after is MORE MONEY!!!!

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:31pm

lee wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 6:13pm:
No one has said Australia should be shutting down all our resources sector....Fossil fuel revenue is more important to the Coalition than the existence of Pacific Island nations according the deputy Prime Ministers own words..

Now all you have to do is link them.

All you have to do is provide a link were anyone has claimed "Australia should be shutting down all our resources sector"....Otherwise I stand by my comment!!!

Quote:

Over to you snowflake!!!

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:43pm

Fphilperth2010 wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:31pm:
All you have to do is provide a link were anyone has claimed "Australia should be shutting down all our resources sector".

Seeing as I never even intimated it, I can't. It exists totally in your own mind.

I merely posted your quote. Don't tell me I took it out of context. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 10:58pm

lee wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 6:13pm:

Now all you have to do is link them.

Link to what snowflake???

Cool....What does that have to do with the Deputy Prime Ministers comments....Your post is irrelevant dribble that addresses nothing I posted....Dickhead???

Huh Huh Huh

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 11:00pm

lee wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:43pm:
Fphilperth2010 wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 9:31pm:
All you have to do is provide a link were anyone has claimed "Australia should be shutting down all our resources sector".

Seeing as I never even intimated it, I can't. It exists totally in your own mind.

I merely posted your quote. Don't tell me I took it out of context.

So you do not deny the Deputy Prime Minister is a liar....Thank you!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 4:31am

Fiji slams Australia's Deputy PM for saying Pacific nations can survive climate change by picking fruit

Seems like McCormack was taken out of context. It seemed like the footage cut away before the context of what he meant was stated. How McCormack defines "picking fruit" as being a way to survive a climate crisis is something I have not been able to connect. But, it is unrealistic that Australia should shut down our mining sector because Pacific Islanders think that they are going to drown. I have not heard of islands being submerged inside 100 years.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 7:27am

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 4:31am:

Seems like McCormack was taken out of context. It seemed like the footage cut away before the context of what he meant was stated. How McCormack defines "picking fruit" as being a way to survive a climate crisis is something I have not been able to connect. But, it is unrealistic that Australia should shut down our mining sector because Pacific Islanders think that they are going to drown. I have not heard of islands being submerged inside 100 years.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/pacific-island-nations-urge-world...

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 7:55am

Dnarever wrote on Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:32pm:
Quote:

No I don't believe it. Australia has a deputy PM ?

Who is it I wonder ?

Some old, white racist dude.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 8:05am

Does anyone know what Fiji would like Australia to do to stop the ice melting... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

it appears its all our fault Fijians are being asked to move away from the beaches......

also!do we force Fijians to come here and pick our fruit??..

news to me!

as far as I know it is a FACT Fijians do come here and pick our fruit.... we are far too lazy to do it ourselves..

I am grateful to them   I like my fruit...its an honorable job...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print