Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
2 million cases of defensive hand gun use a year (Read 7625 times)
Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

2 million cases of defensive hand gun use a year
Aug 17th, 2019 at 4:44pm

Quote:
Unpublished CDC Study Confirms More than 2 Million Defensive Handgun Uses Annually

Unpublished CDC Study Confirms More than 2 Million Defensive Handgun Uses Annually

An unpublished Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study confirms Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck’s findings of more than two million defensive handgun uses (DGUs) per year.

Since the early 1990s, Kleck has maintained that there is a minimum of 760,000 DGUs annually. However, that is his low estimate. Kleck and research partner Marc Gertz have contended the actual number is closer to 2.5 million, reported Breitbart.

Kleck reaffirmed his numbers on February 17, 2015, explaining that while plenty of naysayers have criticized his findings, none have been able to offer empirical evidence to counter them.Now, a CDC study conducted on data from 1996, 1997, and 1998 has been uncovered. The study, which was never released to the public, shows approximately 2.46 million DGUs per year.

On April 20, 2018, Reason magazine quoted Kleck’s reaction to the unpublished CDC findings; he explained that a figure of 2.46 million DGUs a year “[implies] that guns were used defensively by victims about 3.6 times as often as they were used offensively by criminals.”

According to Reason magazine, for those who wonder exactly how purely scientific CDC researchers are likely to be about issues of gun violence that implicate policy, Kleck notes that “CDC never reported the results of those surveys, does not report on their website any estimates of DGU frequency, and does not even acknowledge that they ever asked about the topic in any of their surveys.”

While the surveys specifically omitted weapons used during the course and scope of duty, Law Enforcement Today’s editor-in-chief, Jim McNeff, provided details that support these findings.

In his article, “Institutional Injustice Is a Lie,” McNeff provided personal evidence:

While working undercover I have experienced potential lethal encounters on no fewer than three occasions. First, I had a shotgun pulled on me by a (suspect) who wanted me out of his “hood” in Downey. Second, I had a person try to carjack my undercover vehicle until I pulled my handgun to defend myself in Santa Ana. Third, I had to pull my weapon on a person who challenged my presence by threatening great bodily injury since I was on “his turf”—which was the public housing projects in Los Angeles.

During each occasion McNeff was dressed in civilian clothing. The suspect in each case was not the intended target of the undercover assignment. Thus, bad guys in these gang-infested areas viewed him as an unarmed “victim.” Yet, he was armed with a handgun and able to defend himself during each crime.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/unpublished-cdc-study-confirms-2-million-def...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Re: 2 million cases of defensive hand gun use a year
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 11:27pm

Most instances go unreported because no shots were fired and no one was harmed. If they were, the number of times a good guy with a gun discouraged criminal acts were reported the statistics would be much higher.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:13pm

gee, i don't know how we Aussies all manage to survive without a gun in everyones pocket. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2019 at 2:26pm

It is easier to defend yourself before there is a threat.

Better safe than sorry.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:25am

Unpublished? Sop how do we know this is true

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:33am

Day 230 of 2019 - 262 mass shootings in the US.

Oh dear.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:36am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 9:33am:
Day 230 of 2019 - 262 mass shootings in the US.

Oh dear.

Mass shooting number 261:

HOUSTON — Seven people were shot after a fight broke out at a house party in east Houston, according to the Houston Police Department.

Mass shooting number 262:

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) - Police are investigating after four teens were found shot in a Plaza hotel room.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:14am

One point not understood is that these 'defensive acts' were against OTHER PEOPLE WITH GUNS.

it is a classic circular argument.

In other stories, a report from Australia shows 200,000 cases of 'defensive uses of fists'.  against other people with fists.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:00am

longweekend58 wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 10:14am:
One point not understood is that these 'defensive acts' were against OTHER PEOPLE WITH GUNS.

Exactly.

It goes right over the gun-nuts' heads though.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:16am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:00am:

Exactly.

EVERYTHING goes over gun-lovers heads. Nothing else matters... just guns. Another CDC study showed the average penis size of gunlovers to be 1-2 inches.  No one was surprised.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:26am

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:00am:

Exactly.

You're assuming they engage in good faith debate.

They just want to keep their guns and don't care about anyone else in their community.

They like guns, they go to gun shows and they like shooting and hunting.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:29am

Of course its an unpublished study. Published studies are subject to review and challenge.

Was this study financed by the NRA and performed by people associated with the NRA?

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 12:14pm

it is a classic circular argument.

In other stories, a report from Australia shows 200,000 cases of 'defensive uses of fists'.  against other people with fists.

Quote:

I didn't find anything to support this and think it unlikely to be the only situation.

In fact one comment was that this means that Guns are used about 3 times more in defence than by criminals, this infers that they are not used against armed attackers.

A woman under threat of rape may shoot an unarmed man, a person being attacked by a knife wielder or a club may shoot and likely a mentally unstable person imagining a threat may pull the trigger.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2019 at 12:19pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Aug 19th, 2019 at 11:29am:
Of course its an unpublished study. Published studies are subject to review and challenge.

Was this study financed by the NRA and performed by people associated with the NRA?

The story said who done the study.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) study confirms Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck’s findings of more than two million defensive handgun uses (DGUs) per year.

There were actually 2 studies at different times that both got the same result.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2019 at 12:09pm

Homeowner stops home invasion with AR15

No shots were fired no criminals were hurt, a classic case of defensive gun use.

In Australia we are a nation of victims the police tell us to comply with the demands of these criminals.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print