Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The crucial difference in Left vs Right thinking (Read 810 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

The crucial difference in Left vs Right thinking
Aug 11th, 2019 at 2:49pm

Here is an interesting debate between a Progressive Michael Brooks vs a Conservative Sargon of Akkad. I found it yesterday and I feel it really outlines the crucial difference in how the Left aims to tackle political and social issues vs how the Right aims to tackle politics and social issues.

First of all, Michael Brooks is correct in asserting that the Conservative's sole focus on 'ideas' is ahistorical and exists outside of any policy or historical considerations. Michael Brooks is also correct in suggesting that American foreign policy within specific historical contexts has contributed in part to a proliferation of extremism and massive wealth inequality in certain areas of the world. This is something which we have control over. He believes that if the West stopped supporting Saudi Arabia, this would delegitimise and reduce the spread of Wahhabhist ideology throughout the world, which is the driving factor behind much of the extremism and poverty in many parts of the world.

The issue I have with Michael Brooks is that he was/is unwilling to discuss political and social issues outside of policy and historical considerations. In the view of the leftist, extrinsic factors such as policy and institutions affect human behaviour and shape economic and social conditions. It doesn't take into consideration individual agency or personal responsibility. However, Brooks does explain that focusing on policy and historical considerations is the best way to bring people together to deal with social and political issues, since a focus on individual agency and personal responsibility would alienate potential allies. Also, we have no control over individual agency or the personal choices that people make.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: The crucial difference in Left vs Right thinking
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 10:45pm

No such thing - everyone is a mix of left and right thinking....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2019 at 11:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 11th, 2019 at 10:45pm:

Don't you go doing that. Caesar Augustus is always right. He can modify our political system to make it all good. He is an angel sent by god to set us straight.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 11:58am

True, it's more of a spectrum.
But you have to admit that many people cluster on the right and left ends of the spectrum. Especially in these days of social media alogarithms which report only the news that you want to see.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 12:23pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 11:58am:

True, it's more of a spectrum.
But you have to admit that many people cluster on the right and left ends of the spectrum. Especially in these days of social media alogarithms which report only the news that you want to see.

True - I'm somewhere in the middle with variations - sometimes I support right ideas, sometimes left.... and often not absolutely - that's a spectrum.  I think most are like that.. not fixed to one side or the other.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2019 at 9:27pm

Setanta wrote on Aug 11th, 2019 at 11:13pm:

Don't you go doing that. Caesar Augustus is always right. He can modify our political system to make it all good. He is an angel sent by god to set us straight.

Then, you should shut the bugger up and listen to what I say.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2019 at 2:10pm

Auggie wrote on Aug 12th, 2019 at 9:27pm:
Setanta wrote on Aug 11th, 2019 at 11:13pm:

Then, you should shut the bugger up and listen to what I say.

Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print