Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
US Missiles in Darwin? (Read 3659 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

US Missiles in Darwin?
Aug 7th, 2019 at 5:32pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: US Missiles in Darwin?
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:36am

US missiles in Darwin? Say goodbye to Darwin.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 5:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 2:36am:

First up, why station them in Darwin?  Who is a threat to Australia to the point where we need IRBM to counter them?  Isn't there anywhere else, closer to their intended target(s)?

Second question. whats in it for us to make us a target for who ever hates the US to the point they would target Australia?

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 5:49pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 5:35pm:

First up, why station them in Darwin?  Who is a threat to Australia to the point where we need IRBM to counter them?  Isn't there anywhere else, closer to their intended target(s)?

Second question. whats in it for us to make us a target for who ever hates the US to the point they would target Australia?

Would you want them moved to the east coast so  we can get a clean shot at China? Don't loads of people live on the east coast? Secondly we have to maintain I alliance with the US. So that means sometimes we have to bend over and take it up the jacksie.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:08pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 5:49pm:

Would you want them moved to the east coast so  we can get a clean shot at China? Don't loads of people live on the east coast? Secondly we have to maintain I alliance with the US. So that means sometimes we have to bend over and take it up the jacksie.

I don't want them on Australian soil at all, Hammer.  If our defence relationship is so important to the US, then we should get something in return for host their IRBMs.  What are they going to pay/give us?  Do you know?

Oh, and your attitude is rather interesting.  Tell me, would Washington be willing to allow say, Hawaii to host Australian missiles?  I somehow doubt it...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:11pm

dear Brian,
we do what Uncle Sam tells us.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:15pm

You put up the question "US Missiles in Darwin?". I made the sardonic response that we could say goodbye to Darwin -- implicit that Darwin would be a military target.

The first question has been answered partially in the first paragraph. However, I would assume that you mean "in the Darwin region". Much as I consider Shoalwater Bay to be "in the Rockhampton region". The threat to Australia happens to be any country that is an enemy to the United States.

The answer to the second question is Australia is already a target of potential attack because of the alliance of Australia and the United States. Look to the history where Darwin was attacked because of the US navy being anchored in the port of Darwin. If the enemy of the United States wanted to put a dent into the American's military capability, taking out an outpost in the southwest Pacific region would be very helpful. Not that there are not more strategic places that the enemies of the United States could target first.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:41pm

Bobby. wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:11pm:
dear Brian,

So, basically, Bobby, you're saying we are a client state of the United States and subject to the will of Washington?

Mmm, an interesting idea.  I wonder who the lawyers would make of that.  Afterall, we have had the example of New Zealand, now haven't we?  They asserted their authority.  Why can't we?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:52pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:15pm:

You put up the question "US Missiles in Darwin?". I made the sardonic response that we could say goodbye to Darwin -- implicit that Darwin would be a military target.

The first question has been answered partially in the first paragraph. However, I would assume that you mean "in the Darwin region". Much as I consider Shoalwater Bay to be "in the Rockhampton region". The threat to Australia happens to be any country that is an enemy to the United States.

The answer to the second question is Australia is already a target of potential attack because of the alliance of Australia and the United States. Look to the history where Darwin was attacked because of the US navy being anchored in the port of Darwin. If the enemy of the United States wanted to put a dent into the American's military capability, taking out an outpost in the southwest Pacific region would be very helpful. Not that there are not more strategic places that the enemies of the United States could target first.

Well. there was actually other reasons why the Japanese attacked Darwin Harbour in 1942, Unsub.   It was a secondary fleet base which backed up Singapore and had several hundred thousand gallons of fuel oil and several thousand rounds of ammunition for ship's guns.  The Japanese felt they were more of a target than a single US freighter or even a US criuser..

Now, we are allied to the US but what value is that alliance?  It appears to be far more valuable to Washington than it is to us.   We have been involved in Vietnam, Somalia, East Timor because of our alliance with the US.  We have lost many Australian sons, fathers, brothers and what have we gained in return?  Cheaper weapons?  We have seen our requests for US aid in four disputes/conflicts we have been involved in (West New Guinea, Kondfrontasi, East Timor I and East Timor II), denied.   Yet it appears our presence in US conflicts is essential (Vietnam, Somalia, Gulf War I, Afghanistan, Gulf War II) to the success of the US effort - diplomatically and militarily.

Personally, I believe we have sold our blood too cheaply.   Our Prime Minister should hesitate a little longer before he picks up the phone to take the call from el Presidente.  Lets make them wait for change and see if they are willing to increase their bid for our support.

As for being a target for any US enemy, well yes and no.  Only the PRC has missiles with the range to reach Australia but why would they bother, unless there were targets here worth attacking, such as US IRBMs?   Afterall, we are more than willing to sell them whatever they desire.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:56pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:08pm:

I don't want them on Australian soil at all, Hammer.  If our defence relationship is so important to the US, then we should get something in return for host their IRBMs.  What are they going to pay/give us?  Do you know?

Oh, and your attitude is rather interesting.  Tell me, would Washington be willing to allow say, Hawaii to host Australian missiles?  I somehow doubt it...   Roll Eyes

What is Hawaii close to that is a threat to Australia, eyewareringly idiotic Bwian?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 9:00pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:41pm:
Bobby. wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:11pm:
dear Brian,

So, basically, Bobby, you're saying we are a client state of the United States and subject to the will of Washington?

Mmm, an interesting idea.  I wonder who the lawyers would make of that.  Afterall, we have had the example of New Zealand, now haven't we?  They asserted their authority.  Why can't we?   Roll Eyes

It's called the nuclear umbrella - check it out.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 9:08pm

Frank wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:56pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 8:08pm:

What is Hawaii close to that is a threat to Australia, eyewareringly idiotic Bwian?

What is a threat to Australia that Darwin is close to, Soren?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:38pm

If there was no request to install missiles in Darwin, then why was the subject even brought up? Is someone testing the water?

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 12:49pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:38pm:
If there was no request to install missiles in Darwin, then why was the subject even brought up? Is someone testing the water?

An interesting question.  Might it be the Government itself as a way of demonstrating that it is not quite as beholden to Washington as many claim?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 12:56pm

Brian Ross wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 12:49pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Aug 8th, 2019 at 10:38pm:

An interesting question.  Might it be the Government itself as a way of demonstrating that it is not quite as beholden to Washington as many claim?

China shouldn't be whinging about increased tensions between our countries when it's getting it's claws into countries very close to us. Namely Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. Imagine if China sets up bases in these countries? It's on the cards.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print