Send Topic Print
Les Norton (Read 2999 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Les Norton
Aug 3rd, 2019 at 9:40pm

Can someone remind my to set the VCR for ABC at 8:40 tomorrow night?

Ta!

IBI

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Re: Les Norton
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:30am

Set the VCR for ABC at 8:40 tonight.

Warning
: 12 Hour countdown to commence in 10 minutes..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:47am

I cant stand Rebel Wilson..

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 4:51pm

cods wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:47am:

She is the exact polar opposite of what any man looks for in a woman
Loud
Abusive
Coarse
Rude
Self centered
Fat
Nasty.

There is little to see in her other than disgust.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:02pm

Valkie wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 4:51pm:
cods wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 8:47am:

She is the exact polar opposite of what any man looks for in a woman
Loud
Abusive
Coarse
Rude
Self centered
Fat
Nasty.

There is little to see in her other than disgust.

Lets just hope she only has a small part Wink

IBI

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 11:23am

Watched episode 1 yesterday on iView ... pretty corny but I had a few chuckles.

Worth a squiz.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/les-norton

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 12:37pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 11:23am:

Worth a squiz.

A couple of chuckles, but it's so far below the quality of the excellent shows we're used to these days.

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 1:49pm

Any relative of Sir Les Paterson?  Same first name......

I'll skip it with Rebel Wilson.... fat is NOT the new thin, and boorish is not the new polite ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 1:57pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 1:49pm:

I'll skip it with Rebel Wilson.... fat is NOT the new thin, and boorish is not the new polite ...

She was just terrible, nothing to do with her weight, looks.
She can't act for schit and can only do her Aussie bogan character.

From the story it's suggested her charachter ended up under a pile of concrete above the North Bondi fishing club.

The Mrs and I have been watching a series called Big little lies which is an adaptation of a book by an Aussie author set around the Northern Beaches Sydney.

All I can say is thankfark it was picked up by an American producer as it's off the hook good acting. Our Nicole Kidman is great in it, thanks to a great script and directing.

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:11pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 1:57pm:

From the story it's suggested her charachter ended up under a pile of concrete above the North Bondi fishing club.

The Mrs and I have been watching a series called Big little lies which is an adaptation of a book by an Aussie author set around the Northern Beaches Sydney.

All I can say is thankfark it was picked up by an American producer as it's off the hook good acting. Our Nicole Kidman is great in it, thanks to a great script and directing.

Hmm - yes - been noticing for many years that often humdrum 'actors' who've 'made a name' in some silly show are then regarded as 'stars' here for eternity... it's such a shame...

Real acting is at a premium here in Oz, and many of the long-established 'stars' are pretty shallow in their repertoire...  I know the pool is much shallower than in the US or UK, but still - and on top of that, some tight scripting would go a long way instead of the pap that often comes out.

How do you compare with, say, a Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman in the Eye In The Sky script?  We just don't have that here.. sorry 'bout that.

Oh, Colin Friels is pretty good - he's in a show now at the theatre... (I think).. I don't keep up with my performing arts investments... just know the product is good ...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:23pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:11pm:

Hmm - yes - been noticing for many years that often humdrum 'actors' who've 'made a name' in some silly show are then regarded as 'stars' here for eternity... it's such a shame...

Real acting is at a premium here in Oz, and many of the long-established 'stars' are pretty shallow in their repertoire...  I know the pool is much shallower than in the US or UK, but still - and on top of that, some tight scripting would go a long way instead of the pap that often comes out.

How do you compare with, say, a Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman in the Eye In The Sky script?  We just don't have that here.. sorry 'bout that.

Oh, Colin Friels is pretty good - he's in a show now at the theatre... (I think).. I don't keep up with my performing arts investments... just know the product is good ...

I truly believe it's less about the actor and more about the script, direction and editing. A case in point is what Quentin Tarantino can do with someone like John Travolta. I'm not saying the acting doesn't play a part but great direction is the key.

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:45pm

Gordon wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:23pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 2:11pm:

I truly believe it's less about the actor and more about the script, direction and editing. A case in point is what Quentin Tarantino can do with someone like John Travolta. I'm not saying the acting doesn't play a part but great direction is the key.

Hmm - yes.... they reboot Lantana occasionally - an idea that sort of got weaker and weaker as the movie progressed..... the final 'kick' was not very strong... I could go back and analyse it a bit.... watching it once was enough, though.  We seem to struggle here with scripting... I've known some writers and they are OK with the soapie style - a Country Practice etc - but somehow there is a lack of oomph ... and maybe the teenage casting people don't help, especially when handed a job without much experience.... those kids can be pretty obnoxious and egocentric   Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes... they haven't learned the maxim that it is not wise to offend anyone, since they may one day be your boss.... and they can be very short with freelance actors trying to make their way.... and far too many broken personalities find their way into performing arts etc... I've met some stage managers and assistant directors who are worthy of a shot to the chin .... very mistaken about their true role and clearly out of their depth.......

My daughter - at 29 this year, has been working in film since she left school and is only just getting up there... now she has real talent... better to come along slower than be pushed too quickly above your limits...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:10pm

Worth a squiz.

I might check it out. Although I do find Aussie stuff rather pathetic and embarrassing. No wonder people overseas think we all came from "convicts" and aren't too bright.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:14pm

Mary Black wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:10pm:

Worth a squiz.

I might check it out. Although I do find Aussie stuff rather pathetic and embarrassing. No wonder people overseas think we all came from "convicts" and aren't too bright.

Sounds like you don't have much respect for Australians?

IP Logged

Mary Black

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:23pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:14pm:
Mary Black wrote on Aug 9th, 2019 at 5:10pm:

Worth a squiz.

Sounds like you don't have much respect for Australians?

I am an Aussie, born and bred ... I just think some Aussie programs/shows are pathetic and make us look like we are dumb and I loathe the "down under" title.

We aren't ALL like Crocodile Dundee or Mad Max. However, I loved Red Dog.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print