Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Missed it by THAT much ... (Read 1068 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Missed it by THAT much ...
Jul 25th, 2019 at 9:13pm

Earth had a near-miss with 'city-killer' asteroid this morning

An asteroid about 100 metres in diameter and racing at 24 kilometres a second has just missed the Earth.

The rock, called Asteroid 2019 OK, sped by our planet at 11.22am on Thursday, passing within about 70,000 kilometres – which is a long way away but closer to us than the moon’s orbit.

Due to the trajectory of the asteroid – flying towards us from the direction of the sun – astronomers had no warning it was headed our way.

It is the largest rock to fly at such close quarters to the Earth this year, and possibly for many years.

Astronomers believe the asteroid is between 57 and 130 metres in diameter.

Telescopes only began to pick it up a couple of days ago, with a confirmation it was an asteroid only coming in the past 24 hours.

"It’s impressively close. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet. It’s a pretty big deal," says Associate Professor Michael Brown, from Monash University’s school of physics and astronomy.

"[If it hit Earth] it makes the bang of a very large nuclear weapon – a very large one."

How big?

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," says Swinburne University astronomer Associate Professor Alan Duffy.

"It's a city-killer asteroid. But because it's so small, it's incredibly hard to see until right at the last minute.

"It's threading tightly between the lunar orbit. Definitely too close for comfort."

https://twitter.com/SuperASASSN/status/1154190931509350401

Asteroids this size tend to pass by once every decade.

Three other asteroids also raced past the Earth on Thursday, but none were as close or as large as 2019 OK. Because it was only just spotted, its existence has not yet been widely reported.

The asteroid was picked up by separate astronomy teams based in Brazil and the US over the past few days.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory confirmed the discovery. The asteroid passed Earth just 73,000 kilometres away, and was sized between 57 and 130 metres in diameter, according to the lab's data.

"This is one of the closest approaches to Earth by an asteroid that we know of. And it’s a pretty large one," says Professor Brown.

By comparison, the rock that killed the dinosaurs was about 16 kilometres across, said Professor Gretchen Benedix, a planetary science researcher at Curtin University.

"It’s not totally out to lunch, these things happen. It’s more rare they happen within a lunar distance," she said.

"If that were to hit the Earth, that would be bad. Something 100 metres across would leave a noticeable hole on the planet."

The Chelyabinsk meteor, which exploded over Russia in 2013, was only about 20 metres in diameter.

Astronomers typically try to pick up asteroids long before they pass by Earth.

But this one was particularly difficult to see because it was coming toward the Earth from the direction of the sun, Professor Brown said.

"It was faint, it was close to the sun. It’s been getting closer to us, getting brighter and brighter, and finally some smaller telescopes have picked it up. Literally, right about now, it’s about 70,000 kilometres from Earth," he said.

A person armed with a pair of binoculars and looking at the right spot in the night sky may even have been able to spot it, he said.

Several dozen smaller asteroids in the six-to-12 metre range fly past Earth at a distance closer than the moon every year, according to NASA.

But such a large rock passing so close is unusual.

"These events are rare. But we know, sooner or later, there's going to be one with our name on it," says Professor Duffy.

Australian National University astronomer Dr Brad Tucker said it may be that many rocks of similar size whizz by close to the Earth – we just don't detect them.

www.theage.com.au/national/earth-had-a-near-miss-with-city-killer-asteroid-this-...

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Holdfast

Australian Politics

Re: Missed it by THAT much ...
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 9:57pm

Yeah, there's a few cities I wish it would have hit.

Holdfast~

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2019 at 10:15pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Jul 25th, 2019 at 9:13pm:

"It would have hit with over 30 times the energy of the atomic blast at Hiroshima," says Swinburne University astronomer Associate Professor Alan Duffy.

https://d3cdtxx03omvla.cloudfront.net/2230123_1564038184441.jpg

"It's a city-killer asteroid.

But because it's so small, it's incredibly hard to see until right at the last minute.

"It's threading tightly between the lunar orbit.

Definitely too close for comfort."

I wonder what could have happened if it hit centre of Pacific, or Atlantic oceans ?

Holdfast,

There will be more coming.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 4:52am

Holdfast wrote on Jul 25th, 2019 at 9:57pm:
Yeah, there's a few cities I wish it would have hit.

Holdfast~

Canberra during a major sitting?

Now wouldn't that be a hoot?

Or perhaps Mecca,  they would have some serious religious repair work there.

We can but dream..........

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 5:22pm

Gaea has already experienced a 'shot' to the chest long ago, which brought about a Mass Extinction.
Now Gaea has created Humanity to 'protect' it from further hits.
The biggest extinction (95%) though was due to Methane rising into the Atmosphere due to Global Warming and Life was 'Polluted' to death.

...sadly, I wonder if Gaea is thinking twice about Humanity being a good idea. Maybe the Monkey/Ape/Human Branch of Evolution was a bad idea? Just look at the Polluted Poisoned World of Humanity and all the Gun's and Defense Armaments are pointed at the Earth.
Looks like Gaea's own creation of Humanity will be its own 'Mass Extinction'.

If Humanity is a mistake that will leave this planet near lifeless, but for Cockroaches, with Pollution, Radiation and shattered Crust - then it only has 1.5 Million years to create another Species to not only PROTECT the Planet, but to spread 'Life' out into other Worlds like a Coral spawning.
Because the Star Gleise will SIDESWIPE our Solar System (pass within the Oort Cloud) resulting in Earth quite possibly spinning way out of its Orbit and into the void due to the Gravitational Impact.

Can Humanity pull it off? Or will it be left to the Cockroaches to save the day?

I think Humanity can.
But not 'directly'.
I don't think other Worlds are for Humanity.
I think its up to us to create a new species (from Orca? Huh) to succeed, where we fail.  Wink

Oh well, did we honestly think we were 'immortal'?

...we only have 1.5 million years. Basically the last 30 secs in relation to the lifespan of life on this planet.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 7:06pm

So if a big rock comes from that direction we may have 2 days notice before we are all dead, phew, a near miss from a city destroying rock.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 7:48pm

If it hit Mecca during the Haaj, the world would be a better place.

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:17pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 7:48pm:

The Muslims will know what to do, they will walk around and around in circles a few times and then throw stones at it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:24pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:17pm:

The Muslims will know what to do, they will walk around and around in circles a few times and then throw stones at it.

Grin

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:35pm

Earth had a near-miss with 'city-killer' asteroid this morning

An asteroid about 100 metres in diameter and racing at 24 kilometres a second has just missed the Earth.

The rock, called Asteroid 2019 OK, sped by our planet at 11.22am on Thursday, passing within about 70,000 kilometres – which is a long way away but closer to us than the moon’s orbit.

Due to the trajectory of the asteroid – flying towards us from the direction of the sun – astronomers had no warning it was headed our way.

It is the largest rock to fly at such close quarters to the Earth this year, and possibly for many years.

Astronomers believe the asteroid is between 57 and 130 metres in diameter.

Telescopes only began to pick it up a couple of days ago, with a confirmation it was an asteroid only coming in the past 24 hours.

"It’s impressively close. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet. It’s a pretty big deal," says Associate Professor Michael Brown, from Monash University’s school of physics and astronomy.

"[If it hit Earth] it makes the bang of a very large nuclear weapon – a very large one."

How big?

"It's a city-killer asteroid. But because it's so small, it's incredibly hard to see until right at the last minute.

"It's threading tightly between the lunar orbit. Definitely too close for comfort."

https://twitter.com/SuperASASSN/status/1154190931509350401

Asteroids this size tend to pass by once every decade.

Three other asteroids also raced past the Earth on Thursday, but none were as close or as large as 2019 OK. Because it was only just spotted, its existence has not yet been widely reported.

The asteroid was picked up by separate astronomy teams based in Brazil and the US over the past few days.

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory confirmed the discovery. The asteroid passed Earth just 73,000 kilometres away, and was sized between 57 and 130 metres in diameter, according to the lab's data.

"This is one of the closest approaches to Earth by an asteroid that we know of. And it’s a pretty large one," says Professor Brown.

By comparison, the rock that killed the dinosaurs was about 16 kilometres across, said Professor Gretchen Benedix, a planetary science researcher at Curtin University.

"It’s not totally out to lunch, these things happen. It’s more rare they happen within a lunar distance," she said.

"If that were to hit the Earth, that would be bad. Something 100 metres across would leave a noticeable hole on the planet."

The Chelyabinsk meteor, which exploded over Russia in 2013, was only about 20 metres in diameter.

Astronomers typically try to pick up asteroids long before they pass by Earth.

But this one was particularly difficult to see because it was coming toward the Earth from the direction of the sun, Professor Brown said.

"It was faint, it was close to the sun. It’s been getting closer to us, getting brighter and brighter, and finally some smaller telescopes have picked it up. Literally, right about now, it’s about 70,000 kilometres from Earth," he said.

A person armed with a pair of binoculars and looking at the right spot in the night sky may even have been able to spot it, he said.

Several dozen smaller asteroids in the six-to-12 metre range fly past Earth at a distance closer than the moon every year, according to NASA.

But such a large rock passing so close is unusual.

"These events are rare. But we know, sooner or later, there's going to be one with our name on it," says Professor Duffy.

Australian National University astronomer Dr Brad Tucker said it may be that many rocks of similar size whizz by close to the Earth – we just don't detect them.

www.theage.com.au/national/earth-had-a-near-miss-with-city-killer-asteroid-this-...

Quote:
......... passing within about 70,000 kilometres         ...........

that is very close indeed

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #10 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 12:23am

Yadda wrote on Jul 25th, 2019 at 10:15pm:

"It's a city-killer asteroid.

But because it's so small, it's incredibly hard to see until right at the last minute.

"It's threading tightly between the lunar orbit.

Definitely too close for comfort."

I wonder what could have happened if it hit centre of Pacific, or Atlantic oceans ?

Holdfast,

There will be more coming.

If it hit the centre of the Pacific or the Indian Ocean, there would have been a large splash. A few seconds later following with a thud, as the asteroid hit the seafloor. Assuming that the asteroid lost speed as it entered the atmosphere, it still would have hit the seafloor at a strong speed. The resultant tremors would have lead to tectonic shifts to nearby plate boundaries.

Where are you talking about hypothetically hitting? Between Australia and Hawaii? The biggest result might mean the flash boiling of tonnes of water that will fall as rain over the Solomons, etc. The tsunami will probably cause some concern in the region. But Australia would be well protected.

I would imagine that an asteroid hitting the west coast of India would probably result in India using a nuclear retaliation against Pakistan.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #11 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 1:10pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 7:06pm:
So if a big rock comes from that direction we may have 2 days notice before we are all dead, phew, a near miss from a city destroying rock.

Sort of like driving to work every day
Some idiot in a truck, an imbicille in a car or just some morning road workers screwing up and .....bang you dead.

No wonder dole bludgers don't go to work.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #12 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 1:13pm

Johnnie wrote on Jul 27th, 2019 at 8:17pm:

As I said, those morons woukd see it as a message from Allah.
But they wouldn't see it as...."BEHAVE YOURSELF AND STOP BEING IDIOTS"

They woukd see it as ......."KILL EVERYONE"
Twisted damn CULT OF DEATH

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 2:34pm

On the Radio yesterday.
Apparently the 'End of the World' is a major anxiety of today's (Media) generation. Pollution, Over-population, World War, etc.
One Presenter expressed a real fear about it, coming from when the USSR/USA Cold War was a real concern - where the proliferation of 'nukes' would have indeed turned this planet into a lifeless wasteland of radiation winds and storms.

Mostly though - the 'End of the World' is a Western trait that also stemmed from those 'Illuminati' fleeing the doom of Europe to the 'New World' (and now they want to flee the USA to Mars  Roll Eyes) and the fact that going by the International Dateline - North America is at the 'End of the World', especially compared to Australia: Down Under - but a 'Day Ahead'  Wink

I think Pollution (like a drug/alcohol overdose) is a real threat and I can see an asteroid hitting the planet one day to give us a wake up call. It might hit hard in the Antarctic - like a kick up the arse! If we're 'lucky'. Wink

Remember: Our Solar System spins around the sun vertical in its travel along the Galactic horizontal plane - so most likely either very north or very south, more than around the Equator for the impact.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 28th, 2019 at 10:59pm

A Johovah Witnesses ftom work is retireing because his mob are preaching the end in near

He wants quality time to pray so he can be amongst the ones saved

Fruitcake

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print