Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Masterchef Master Thief (Read 3092 times)
greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Masterchef Master Thief
Jul 22nd, 2019 at 1:07pm

More wage theft.

"Celebrity chef George Calombaris's hospitality empire has backpaid $7.8 million in wages and superannuation after admitting to underpaying more than 500 current and former employees."

George Calombaris's MAdE Establishment underpaid workers $7.8 million

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Re: Masterchef Master Thief
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 1:16pm

George Calombaris pulled from WA tourism campaign in wake of Fair Work decision

"Tourism WA have pulled an advertising campaign featuring George Calombaris after the Masterchef star was found to have underpaid his staff by almost $8 million.

"Calombaris was the focus of a six-month advertising campaign promoting gourmet travel in WA, a campaign launched to capitalise on a WA-themed Masterchef week which aired earlier this season.

"The ads were meant to run through to September, but have been pulled from all television and digital executions following the decision by the Fair Work Ombudsman.

"It is understood Tourism WA will attempt to gain compensation from the celebrity chef’s management.

"Calombaris has faced calls to resign from the program after the Ombudsman’s findings, which saw him fined $20,000 for underpaying his staff by $7.8 million."

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 4:05pm

New MasterChef Challenge Gives Contestants 60 Minutes To Prepare Beautifully-Constructed Illegal Wage Payment Scheme

In a new twist on Australia’s favourite cooking competition, MasterChef contestants will have exactly one hour to cook up the perfect way to underpay their staff.

Inspired by judge George Calomabris’s own approach to running restaurants, the new segment – named ‘Cooking the Books’ – will challenge contestants to find the most inventive and inspiring ways to avoid paying minimum wages and overtime.

Calombaris told contestants to think creatively. “Think carefully about the ingredients you’re going to use. Award wage theft? Holiday loading avoidance? Maybe a dash of overtime-rate evasion? Delicious!”

He said the schemes would be judged on creativity, taste and presentation.

“It’s about the presentation. How can you make it look like you’re running a professional, successful business on the outside when in fact everything’s held together by a carefully-constructed garnish?

“I’m looking forward to seeing how you approach this. 20 MINUTES!”

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:08pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 1:07pm:
More wage theft.

"Celebrity chef George Calombaris's hospitality empire has backpaid $7.8 million in wages and superannuation after admitting to underpaying more than 500 current and former employees."

Wage theft is a perfect example of how society is structured around a ruling class. You can rob people of millions of dollars and be on the front page of lifestyle magazines looking angelic.

Wage theft is an actual crime. The very real consequence of wage theft is tantamount to slave labour ... and this seems to be considered widely a minor misdemeanour when done by the very wealthy.

As is embezzlement, at the higher end of town.

Recently a mentally ill Aboriginal woman got 3 years for stealing a can of soft drink.

And it's not just the powers that be that judge us so ... ask the common folk who they sit more harshly in judgement of, wage thieves or common criminals.

It's just another sign that capitalism is broken. It absolutely protects and even sanctifies the wealthy while the common person is fuel for the fire.

It's absolutely appalling.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:11pm

mothra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:08pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 22nd, 2019 at 1:07pm:
More wage theft.

Wage theft is a perfect example of how society is structured around a ruling class. You can rob people of millions of dollars and be on the front page of lifestyle magazines looking angelic.

Wage theft is an actual crime. The very real consequence of wage theft is tantamount to slave labour ... and this seems to be considered widely a minor misdemeanour when done by the very wealthy.

As is embezzlement, at the higher end of town.

Recently a mentally ill Aboriginal woman got 3 years for stealing a can of soft drink.

And it's not just the powers that be that judge us so ... ask the common folk who they sit more harshly in judgement of, wage thieves or common criminals.

It's just another sign that capitalism is broken. It absolutely protects and even sanctifies the wealthy while the common person is fuel for the fire.

It's absolutely appalling.

No fake news please Mothra.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:18pm

Not only is it not fake news, it's not particularly uncommon.

And just so you actually care, you don't even need to be dark skinned to be treated profoundly unfairly by our judicial system. You just need to be poor.

Or at least, not wealthy.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:21pm

mothra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:18pm:
Not only is it not fake news, it's not particularly uncommon.

And just so you actually care, you don't even need too be dark skinned to be treated profoundly unfairly by our judicial system. You just need to be poor.

Or at least, not wealthy.

Well then post it up. I'm even interested in a story about a nutty abo woman who got 3 years for stealing a can of softdrink. Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:28pm

Do you disagree that white collar crime is punished less harshly than blue collar crime? If it is punished at all?

Do you disagree that wage theft is a serious crime?

Seems you do. Unlike you to suddenly go into bat for the upper echelons. I suppose your racism trumps your classism.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:30pm

mothra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:28pm:
Do you disagree that white collar crime is punished less harshly than blue collar crime? If it is punished at all?

Seems you do. Unlike you to suddenly go into bat for the upper echelons. I suppose your racism trumps your classism.

moving along I see??

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:31pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:30pm:

moving along I see??

No Hammer. That was my original and overarching point.  I can't help it that you only respond to dog whistles.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:36pm

mothra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:31pm:

moving along I see??

No Hammer. That was my original and overarching point.  I can't help it that you only respond to dog whistles.
King out of Platoon- Ever'body know, the poor are always being f***ed over by the rich. Always have, always will.

Now let's get back to your coke thief.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:38pm

My apologies, it was 3 months, not 3 years. I misremebered, probably because the sentence is still outrageous.

3 weeks would be outrageous.

Here:

Woman Imprisoned for Consuming Soft Drink in Store

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:39pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:36pm:

moving along I see??

King out of Platoon- Ever'body know, the poor are always being f***ed over by the rich. Always have, always will.

Oh, so that's it then? No complaints? Just accept it?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:43pm

mothra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:38pm:
My apologies, it was 3 months, not 3 years. I misremebered, probably because the sentence is still outrageous.

3 weeks would be outrageous.

Here:

Woman Imprisoned for Consuming Soft Drink in Store

You left out the trespassing charge. It's still excessive unless she was on parole at the time. There's more to this one. She was banned from the shop and might have  had a Apprehended Personal Violence Order put on her. break those and you'll end up in the can.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:50pm

mothra wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:39pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2019 at 6:36pm:

moving along I see??

Oh, so that's it then? No complaints? Just accept it?

I've been trying to fight that my stuff whole life. But what power do I have?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print