Send Topic Print
Barnabys Rent & Rant (Read 288 times)
PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Barnabys Rent & Rant
Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:52pm

Quote:
The former deputy prime minister made regular deposits of $415 a week this year to First ­National Real Estate Armidale from a bank account that receives almost $4000 a month in electoral allowance payments, according to Brisbane’s The Sunday Mail.

Mr Joyce has rejected any suggestion of impropriety.

He said it was for “multiple purposes” and received deposits from a range of sources.
Politicians receive up to $46,000 a year in electoral allowances, meant to be spent on local community events.

Under a loophole in parliamentary guidelines, spending receipts aren’t audited and politicians can pocket any unspent funds.

As the member for New ­England, Mr Joyce is eligible for the maximum $46,000 in annual electorate allowances because of the size of his electorate.

“This bank account was given this name in 2005, but it has long since been used for multiple purposes and is used for farm business, private and electorate transactions, as are other ­accounts I hold, including my ­private credit card,” he said in a statement.

“Income is transacted to this account from a range of other ­accounts I hold and non-parliamentary sources including, for example, sheep sales. I am disappointed that someone would disclose a misrepresentation of my private financial affairs for ­malicious and false purpose.”

Mr Joyce said he would rename the account “Account Number 2”

source Courier Mail & The Australian
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:57pm by PZ547 »  

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Barnabys Rent & Rant
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 1:17pm

Why do we keep letting these criminals get away with this stuff?

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Barnabys Rent & Rant
Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 1:33pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 15th, 2019 at 1:17pm:
Why do we keep letting these criminals get away with this stuff?

Originally, I read this item in a newspaper, which went on to add that Barnaby was 'cleared' of wrongful use of taxpayers' money re: his marathon stays in motels in Canberra and the one near his home.  Guess that means he was also cleared of the touristy jaunts to far North Qld. and elsewhere?

the online report in the Courier Mail and The Australian didn't mention any of that, far as I can tell.  Maybe they thought the public might get a bit testy ?

from memory, Barnaby enjoyed 72 nights at a mate's motel a mere 25 km from the Barnaby home and 50-odd nights in Canberra when parliament wasn't sitting.  And again from  memory, the mate's motel up in Barnaby-land was charging $100 above the top rate for the top suite ... I must have read that online somewhere.  So nice for everyone

but he was 'cleared'.  Suppose that means the public footed the bill all the way

I can't remember how and when Barnaby was 'cleared' ... or who cleared him of the debt

and now the rent affair

As always, Barnaby plays the victim and gets huffy.  From now on, he's going to separate all those monies that just keep landing on him

but then, what incentive is there for any of them to be scrupulous or even averagely-careful with other people's money .... when there's no oversight

did you get the bit where any monies left over from their electorate spending money can go into their own pockets?

Whose money?  Our money

and then you think of that poor 80 year old last year who was left penniless with an empty fridge because Centrelink cut him from all funds for 3 months during which time he was too proud to tell his own family.  His crime?  Centrelink said it was because his 80 year old birth certificate was 'too faded'

only way I can think of to stop them is public outcry.  But with the media filled with naked prosthetic breasts and footballer scandals -- too big an ask apparently for the public to even notice pollies have both hands in the lolly jar most of the time

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print