Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jewellery Chain Underpays Workers $25 Million (Read 364 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Jewellery Chain Underpays Workers $25 Million
Jul 12th, 2019 at 3:41am

Michael Hill jewellers admits it underpaid staff by up to $25 million   Sad

July 11 2019
ABC News

Jewellery chain Michael Hill says it will be repaying its retail staff up to $25 million in wages after finding errors in its application of the retail award.   Sad
Key points:

An initial review revealed between $10 million and $25 million in wage underpayments over six financial years
    Michael Hill has now begun a more detailed review of all employee records, rostering practices and payments
    The company has been under financial pressure — its annual sales have dropped and a number of stores have closed

The Brisbane-based chain is the latest in a string of organisations, to admit to staff underpayments, and will face questions from the Fair Work Ombudsman (FWO).

A spokesman for FWO said the agency was not made aware of the underpayment of workers at Michael Hill International prior to the ASX announcement by the business.

"The Fair Work Ombudsman is concerned by the scale of the reported underpayments and will contact Michael Hill International," he said.

The FWO has recently successfully prosecuted a number of companies for unlawful underpayments, resulting in the courts imposing hefty penalties on companies, such as 7-Eleven.

Michael Hill, which operates more than 300 stores and employs about 2,600 staff globally, said an initial review of its Australian retail employment contracts and rostering practices was undertaken by its new chief executive Daniel Bracken, with the help of accounting firm PriceWaterhouseCoopers.

This initial review showed non-compliance with some industry requirements over the past six financial years and may cost the jewellery chain up to $25 million to remedy.

"We will move as quickly as possible to rectify any underpayments with those team members affected," Mr Bracken said in a statement to the ASX on Thursday morning.

"I will be in contact with all team members today to apologise on behalf of the company and to provide an outline of the process we are following to establish who is impacted."

More detailed review now underway

The company has now begun a more detailed review of all employee records, rostering practices and payments, which would "take several months to complete".

"The remediation of these issues, which occurred over the last six financial years, is estimated to be a one-off cost in the range of $10 million to $25 million," the statement said.

"It is not presently anticipated that rectification and remediation will have any material impact on the underlying earnings of the company for financial year 2020 or any future financial years."

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Jewellery Chain Underpays Workers $25 Million
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:32am

No wonder they shut down here.

Always been a dodgy operator ... they've been in strife before for false advertising.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:41am

Most of these big chain jewellery stores are pretty dodgy.

The staff are generally treated bad, and work long hours without being paid overtime.

Most are expected to open and close the store in their own time, which is unlawful, and many are not allowed toilet breaks etc.

Michael Hill isn't a bad guy, from what I've heard.

I spend some time down in Arrowtown (NZ), which is where he lives, and most locals speak highly of him.

I suppose other people are running the business now, and he might not be aware of what's going on.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:52am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:41am:

The staff are generally treated bad, and work long hours without being paid overtime.

Most are expected to open and close the store in their own time, which is unlawful, and many are not allowed toilet breaks etc.

I spend some time down in Arrowtown (NZ), which is where he lives, and most locals speak highly of him.

I suppose other people are running the business now, and he might not be aware of what's going on.

Yes had heard that also from the last women who worked in the store here.

It wasn't Michael Hill personally that I spoke of ... it's the company.

Much like the things that went on with Terry White Chemists once it was in a similar operating status as Michael Hill.

Terry White isn't a bad bloke either .... my brother worked for him when he first came out of Uni as a Pharmacist.

Brother currently works for a pharmacy mob now who treat their staff just like Michael Hill re: unpaid overtime, long hours, lack of toilet breaks etc. etc.

He was virtually a store manager for years but was only ever paid as an ordinary Pharmacist.

He has a University education and gets paid $40 grand a year less than I do.

His daughter who is virtually a shop assistant is doing the managerial role and is his boss now.

Bet she's still getting paid as a shop assistant.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:55am

Gnads wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:52am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:41am:

Yes had heard that also from the last women who worked in the store here.

It's amazing how many employers see nothing wrong with making their staff open and close the stores on their own time.

Many companies have (unlawful) policies in place which state that their employees must arrive at least 20 minutes before their paid start time, in order to prepare and open the shop, and then stay back after their paid shift is finished to clean the floors, do the banking, and lock up the store.

Thieves.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:52pm

The pay doesn't match their old theme song very well ...

"You promised me."

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print