Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Females require male chaperones (Read 476 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Females require male chaperones
Jul 11th, 2019 at 7:03pm

Female journalist told she needs male chaperone to cover politician's campaign

Mississippi Republican Robert Foster denied requests from Larrison Campbell to shadow campaign for governor ‘out of respect of my wife’

A Republican candidate for Mississippi governor has been accused of sexism after he banned a female political reporter from going on a campaign trip without a male chaperone for fear of being accused of an extramarital affair.

Earlier this week, Robert Foster’s campaign denied requests from Larrison Campbell, a reporter for Mississippi Today, to shadow him on the campaign trail ahead of next month’s primary election – unless she was accompanied by a male colleague.

His campaign told her they feared if somebody took pictures of him with Campbell, they could be used by rivals to smear him.

Campbell told the Guardian she was “shocked” when she was told Foster would not cooperate without a male colleague present because he had initially seemed interested when she approached him about reporting a story and they had an established working relationship.

“Really up until the last couple of minutes of our conversation I really assumed that we’d find a way to make it work and I was shocked that this was a deal breaker. That my being a woman was such a deal breaker,” she said.

“It made me mad … I’m showing up, I’m doing everything right, I’m trying to do my job, and you are sexualising me. How is that not sexist? The only thing that makes me in your mind unfit to do this job is the fact that I’m a woman. That is sexism. We’ve got to talk about that.”

In an article about the incident for Mississippi Today, Campbell said: “In two phone calls this week, Colton Robison, Foster’s campaign director, said a male colleague would need to accompany this reporter on an upcoming 15-hour campaign trip because they believed the optics of the candidate with a woman, even a working reporter, could be used in a smear campaign to insinuate an extramarital affair.”

Campbell and her editor agreed the request was “sexist” and an “unnecessary use” of newsroom resources and that she should do the story alone. But when she informed the campaign, they insisted she would not be allowed.

“He reiterated that the campaign couldn’t agree unless a male colleague was present – this despite my offering to wear a Mississippi Today press badge in plain view at all times. But Robison insisted that trackers are trying to get any footage that would make the candidate look bad,” she wrote.

Foster stood by his decision, saying he did so “out of respect” for his wife, Heather, with whom he is pictured multiple times on his campaign website.

“Before our decision to run, my wife and I made a commitment to follow the ‘Billy Graham Rule’, which is to avoid any situation that may evoke suspicion or compromise of our marriage,” he tweeted on Tuesday. “I am sorry Ms Campbell doesn’t share these views, but my decision was out of respect of my wife.”

The following day he added: “As I anticipated, the liberal left lost their minds over the fact I choose not to be alone with another woman. They can’t believe, that even in 2019, someone still values their relationship with their wife and upholds their Christian faith.”

In another tweet, he claimed criticism of him was also an attack on people in Mississippi who share his beliefs. “Exactly why we need a #msgov who will protect these values.”

His approach is reminiscent of the vice-president, Mike Pence, who reportedly does not dine alone with women other than his wife Karen.

Campbell said sharing her experiences has prompted mixed reactions – many of them supporting Foster’s reaction.

“Somebody posted on Facebook ‘he has to do this, this is the post-MeToo era … He was just doing what he needed to do to protect himself’,” she said.

While she had never before come across a situation like it, she said she has become accustomed to the sexism of working in the male-dominated arena of politics.

“Women, whether they’re working on campaigns or running for office or reporting on it, people see them as out of place and really as a female reporter, and I hate having to say ‘a female reporter’ because I think of myself as a reporter first, but when you’re a woman who is reporting you get treated differently.”

Foster later told the Guardian, reiterating portions of an earlier statement: “Before our decision to run, my wife and I made a commitment to follow the ‘Billy Graham Rule’, which is to avoid any situation that may evoke suspicion or compromise of our marriage. I am sorry Ms Campbell doesn’t share these same views, but my decision was out of respect of my wife, character, and our Christian faith.

“We don’t mind granting Ms Campbell an interview. We just want it to be in an appropriate and professional setting that wouldn’t provide opportunities for us to be alone.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/10/female-journalist-told-she-needs...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Females require male chaperones
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:32pm

he must be a musselman mothra, that's the only sane explanation Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

we'll see FD coming along any minute now championing the cause for women.  Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:35pm

Only in Mississippi ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:12pm

Quote:
Foster later told the Guardian, reiterating portions of an earlier statement: “Before our decision to run, my wife and I made a commitment to follow the ‘Billy Graham Rule’, which is to avoid any situation that may evoke suspicion or compromise of our marriage. I am sorry Ms Campbell doesn’t share these same views, but my decision was out of respect of my wife, character, and our Christian faith.

A smart man who knows how dirty the Left plays the Politics Game". Short of wearing a body cam at all times I don't see how he can be protected from false reporting without witnesses.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:14pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:12pm:
Quote:

A smart man who knows how dirty the Left plays the Politics Game". Short of wearing a body cam at all times I don't see how he can be protected from false reporting without witnesses.

Only from Mortie in Mississippi ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:01pm

You will never find me alone in the company of an under age girl! If I am ever accused of impropriety with a member of the opposite sex at least the liar will be an adult.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 4:16pm

Mortdooley wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:01pm:
You will never find me alone in the company of an under age girl!

can't trust yourself?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 7:15pm

mothra wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 7:03pm:
Female journalist told she needs male chaperone to cover politician's campaign

Mississippi Republican Robert Foster denied requests from Larrison Campbell to shadow campaign for governor ‘out of respect of my wife’

A Republican candidate for Mississippi governor has been accused of sexism after he banned a female political reporter from going on a campaign trip without a male chaperone for fear of being accused of an extramarital affair.

“We don’t mind granting Ms Campbell an interview. We just want it to be in an appropriate and professional setting that wouldn’t provide opportunities for us to be alone.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/10/female-journalist-told-she-needs...

Very sensible. Who wants to be a victim of another 'gotcha' feminist reporter - every republican, especially practicing Christian ones, are stalked by Guardianistas and their allies looking for the METOO!!!!! moment.

They are now after him for NOT putting himself in a situaton where they could have accused him of all sorts of things. THAT"s now the accusation.

Unsurprisingly this is from the Grauniad - and eagerly salivated over by Mother, our pseudo-feminist house pet,  Ms Miffed.  (Gino Schmitzo fapping along eagerly, of course)

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:30pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 4:16pm:
Mortdooley wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 11:01pm:
You will never find me alone in the company of an under age girl!

can't trust yourself?

I trust myself, I don't trust opportunistic people or children taught to interpret any attention as sexual. Call it an irrational fear if you choose but you are guilty until proven innocent and then doubts remain in the minds of some because you were accused.

If it makes you feel better, he is the one needing witnesses. He has done nothing wrong. The Left believes that the ends justifies the means so falsely accusing someone to destroy them is all that matters!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print