Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
How not to get sacked for sexism (Read 3420 times)
aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: How not to get sacked for sexism
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:40am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:00am:
aquascoot wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:59am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:45am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:42am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 7:39am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 7:24am:
Is this question sexist? What would be the result of a match between Ash Barty and Novak Djokavic?

Good entertainment.

If you consider 6-0 6-0 good entertainment.

I reckon he'd put up a better fight than that.

She'd beat him, but not by that much.

Probably 6-4, 4-6, 6-3

She would be lucky to get one return of serve

6 love 6 love 6 love is a certainty

You wish   Grin

They did an analysis on the service speed of the top male and female professional tennis players. No woman had a service speed approaching that of every man ranked in the top 100.
Supplicate to women if you'd like but try to be honest

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:41am

aquascoot wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:40am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 10:00am:
aquascoot wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:59am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:45am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:42am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 7:39am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 7:24am:
Is this question sexist? What would be the result of a match between Ash Barty and Novak Djokavic?

Good entertainment.

If you consider 6-0 6-0 good entertainment.

I reckon he'd put up a better fight than that.

She'd beat him, but not by that much.

Probably 6-4, 4-6, 6-3

She would be lucky to get one return of serve

6 love 6 love 6 love is a certainty

You wish   Grin

They did an analysis on the service speed of the top male and female professional tennis players. No woman had a service speed approaching that of every man ranked in the top 100.
Supplicate to women if you'd like but try to be honest

Why did you change the subject?

I'm curious.

We're talking about a tennis match - not a serving competition.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:29pm

Sorry gweggy UTR universal tennis rankings rank all men in the top 1000 at 14. To 16
The top woman rates 13.5.

Serena Williams trained with a guy who could not make the tour.
She admitted he had no trouble dominating her.

In a sport where men and women can compete beside each other, formula one or other motor sport, there are NO women.

And think what a coup it would be for Mercedes or ford to have a woman in their car and winning. Women control most of the purchasing after all.
But they just can't find a woman who can compete.
On the simulators, their reflexes are inferior, on the track, they won't take the risks.
Skateboarding, freestyle motorcycling, mountain biking.

Even in horse racing , when  90% of riders at pony clubs are girls, they cannot transition very well to the big stage.
Men are physically superior

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:35pm

The Central Coast Mariners U15 boys team beat the Matildas 7-0. I'm all for equality...when things are equal.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #19 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:41pm

Raven was accused of sexism by his wife's friend the other day when he said he doesn't think professional female tennis players should be paid the same as men.

She really got offended and couldn't believe Raven would say something like that and refused to listen to Raven's reasons. In the end she just sat there with her wine and wouldn't speak to Raven for the rest of the night.

Raven's reasoning is since female tennis players do a best of three sets instead of a best of five like men then why should they get the same amount of money?

If they do five then by all means pay them the same but less work shouldn't equal the same pay.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:48pm

It would be interesting if Andy Murray were to do a Bruce Jenner and then comeback on the women's tour.
Would a feminist like gweg or mothra (same identity after all)support andys right to do this or would gweg/ mothra be a transphobe

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:50pm

It's always been about getting the same money for doing less.

Call that equality?

Yes ... they should do 5 sets if they even want to get close.

It's happened through a lot the sporting clubs ... e.g. lawn bowls, golf, croquet etc. where women were call associate members and paid less membership.

They lobbied for full membership/voting rights ... but they didn't want to pay full membership .. they wanted to stay on associate rates.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:51pm

aquascoot wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 12:48pm:
It would be interesting if Andy Murray were to do a Bruce Jenner and then comeback on the women's tour.
Would a feminist like gweg or mothra (same identity after all)support andys right to do this or would gweg/ mothra be a transphobe

Nearly too funny to contemplate Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:26pm

Would a feminist like gweg ... support andys right to do this ...

Yes.

Why wouldn't I?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:29pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:26pm:

Yes.

Why wouldn't I?

Because it's cheating.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:30pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:29pm:

Yes.

Why wouldn't I?

Because it's cheating.

According to whom/what?

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 2:52pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:30pm:

Yes.

Why wouldn't I?

Because it's cheating.

According to whom/what?

what about if andy said ' i just want to identify as a woman. i dont want to have surgery or take hormones, i just feel that female is my gender"

should he be allowed to enter the womens draw

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #27 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 3:09pm

Don't say that sexists will go to Hell?  Or will you be gently shoved towards the door for saying that Islam is ultra-feminist and that on ANZAC Day we should remember everyone else?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 3:27pm

aquascoot wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 2:52pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:30pm:

Yes.

Why wouldn't I?

Because it's cheating.

According to whom/what?

what about if andy said ' i just want to identify as a woman. i dont want to have surgery or take hormones, i just feel that female is my gender"

should he be allowed to enter the womens draw

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #29 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 3:49pm

mothra wrote on Jul 11th, 2019 at 10:53am:
How not to get sacked for sexism

“I feel sorry for my husband, he just doesn’t know how to act any more.”

This came from a friend musing over how confusing the #metoo movement has made life for men. Her husband is a corporate consultant and is apparently living in fear of being accused of sexism in the workplace.

My response was the most obvious. “Is he sexist?” Because if he’s not then he doesn’t need to worry.

My friend assures me her husband is not sexist. Still, he lives in fear of being accused of sexism and being subsequently embarrassed and sacked over it.

Really? Is it that hard to engage in a civil conversation with a woman without saying something that offends her, gets you hauled in for coaching sessions with an HR manager or censured on social media?

It’s not the first time I’ve heard this. People talk about how men feel as though they’re constantly walking on egg shells and are therefore unable to be themselves anymore.

There are reports of men claiming they can’t risk mentoring women anymore for fear of being accused of sexual harassment.

Allow me to put your fears to rest. The definition of what constitutes sexist behaviour hasn’t changed.

Sexism and harassment have never been acceptable.

It was never appropriate to sexually degrade a woman in a workplace, or anywhere else for that matter. The only thing that has changed is that it’s harder for perpetrators to get away with it now.

Women have not become more thin-skinned, or precious snowflakes. We are not sitting around in our covens scheming the demise of men. It’s just that now, when men treat us badly we are more inclined to speak up about it and people in authority are more likely to act.

The #metoo movement is approaching its second anniversary and there have been countless opportunities across business, media, sport and even the churches for men to watch, listen and learn the lesson that sexism is no longer tolerated.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who shakes my head in bewilderment every time someone gets outed and disgraced for sexism.

Did former AFL stars Scott Cummings and Dane Swan not realise that joking and laughing about sexual assault on their Humpday podcast would lead to a backlash?

How many more examples do these men need to learn that (fortunately) sexually degrading women is no longer socially acceptable? Cummings’s subsequent sacking by radio station 3AW should have been a surprise to precisely no-one.

Cummings — to his lasting credit — issued a decent apology and appears to have learned from the experience.

But still, the question remains, how did he not know already that vulgar sexism was unacceptable and career limiting? Did this whole “don’t sexually degrade women” rule really creep up on Cummings and others? It’s as if the world changed overnight and these blokes’ names were left off the group email.

One explanation could be that these men just assume that the rules simply don’t apply to them. Perhaps having attained a measure of success in their field makes some men feel as though they’re above criticism.

Or perhaps it is possible that some men really don’t understand the difference between sexism and a joke. They fear that in the #metoo era “good guys” are getting tarred with the same brush as “bad guys”.

But here’s the thing, sexism is not about being a good or a bad guy. Sexism is about power and once you remove the power factor, the difference between sexism and harmless fun becomes very obvious.

If you feel confused about what is and what isn’t acceptable, here’s a simple rule to live by: if you wouldn’t say it (or do it) to a woman who’s your boss, then don’t say it (or do it) to any other woman (or any man, for that matter).

Let’s try this rule out in some real-life situations.

Imagine you’re Scott Cummings or Dane Swan testing out your material on your female CEO. Would you think that jokes about performing sex acts on sleeping or ill women were appropriate?

I didn’t think so.

If you think the female chair of your board is talking too much, do you talk over her and then quip that women never shut up and need to get in the kitchen to make you a sandwich?

I’m betting that’s another no.

If your major corporate clients are women, do you invite them to network at a “super sexy” golf event like the one recently organised in the UK, promising the “sexiest and naughtiest golf day” with plenty of free booze and “naked women”.

Of course not.

See, it’s not that confusing at all.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/how-not-to-get-sacked-fo...

“I feel sorry for my husband, he just doesn’t know how to act any more.”

Is he no longer going down and saying good morning to Marvin LALALALA

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print