Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Workplace Accident - Worker Killed (Read 538 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Workplace Accident - Worker Killed
Jul 7th, 2019 at 4:09pm

Man killed in accident at Central Queensland coal mine   Sad

ABC News
July7 2019

A worker has died at a coal mine west of Gladstone — the fourth mining fatality in six months — prompting the Queensland mining union to declare a "safety crisis".
Key points

It is understood the man was working in the pit when the accident happened
    The union says it was not made aware of the accident until eight hours later
    This was the fourth mining death in Queensland in six months, prompting the union to declare a "safety crisis"

Police and emergency services were called to the Baralaba North coal mine in the Bowen Basin just after 2:00am on Sunday.

The ABC understands the 27-year-old man was declared dead at the scene.

But CFMEU Queensland mining and energy president Steve Smyth told the ABC the union only became aware of the incident about eight hours later, via social media.

"[Companies] have a legal obligation to report it," he said.

"But we became aware through a Facebook post and our safety representative then called around … [having] to chase it."

He said the mining industry should be shut down for at least 24 hours "so that some serious reflection can occur".

"It's terrible, we're sick of it … it's a safety crisis," he said.

"We've been saying there needs to be a major safety reset."

It is believed the employee was working in an area of the pit when the accident occurred, but both the police and ambulance services are refusing to release details about how it happened.

It was the second mining incident in the region in six hours.

A man in his 50s suffered back and spinal injuries in a fall at the Collinsville open-cut coal mine at about 8:00am.
Fourth mining death in six months   Shocked

There have been four fatal mining incidents in Queensland in the past six months — six mining and quarry deaths in the past 12 months.

David Routledge was killed at a Middlemount coal mine just last month. (Facebook)

Just last month, a Mackay father was killed when a wall collapsed while he was operating a digger at the Middlemount open-cut coal mine, north-west of Rockhampton.

A grader driver died in an underground collision at a Moranbah mine in February, and a fourth worker died in a dozer rollover on New Year's Eve at a mine near Dysart.

In a statement, Mines Minister Anthony Lynham said he was "extremely distressed and concerned" by the number of recent deaths.   Sad

"The loss of a life in any workplace at any time is not acceptable," he said.

"Families should be able to expect that when their loved ones depart for work that they return safe.

"I will be following up on discussions held last week by meeting with representatives of the mining industry … as a matter of urgency.

"I will be making it absolutely clear that this situation is unacceptable and requires action."

Mr Lynham said he would make further announcements on what action would be taken by his Government, after he considered the outcomes from the meeting.

Queensland Resources Council chief executive Ian Macfarlane said in a statement the industry was working on measures for a "safety reset" in light of the recent tragedies.

"No death on a mine site is acceptable," he said.

"The resources sector has made constant improvements in its safety record over the last 20 years, but we cannot become complacent.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Workplace Accident - Worker Killed
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 4:49pm

the libs fault.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 4:57pm

I know this is not the right time or place to be posting this. And criticise me all you want for what I am about to post. But, if the "gender pay gap" people are wondering why there is an income differential, we can cite danger money for dangerous jobs like this. Miners earn their income from doing dangerous jobs like this. The Moura Mine disaster, decades ago, is still vivid in my memory about the heartbreaking loss.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:11pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 4:57pm:
I know this is not the right time or place to be posting this. And criticise me all you want for what I am about to post. But, if the "gender pay gap" people are wondering why there is an income differential, we can cite danger money for dangerous jobs like this. Miners earn their income from doing dangerous jobs like this. The Moura Mine disaster, decades ago, is still vivid in my memory about the heartbreaking loss.

I'm not sure you make any sense. Are you saying that if women had been employed in that position, there is justification for paying them less?

You realise the issue with the 'gender pay gap' is not that a female nurse should make as much as an underground miner. Thge issue is that two people in the SAME position should be paid the same amount, regardless of gender. In many cases they are not.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:27pm

Not right. Those aren't the jobs with the pay gaps

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:28pm

John Smith wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:11pm:

I'm not sure you make any sense. Are you saying that if women had been employed in that position, there is justification for paying them less?

You realise the issue with the 'gender pay gap' is not that a female nurse should make as much as an underground miner. Thge issue is that two people in the SAME position should be paid the same amount, regardless of gender. In many cases they are not.

The issue is that "gender gap" protestors are protesting the fact that women earn on average 85% of what men earn. The problem with their protest is that men work in more dangerous jobs than women. That is why the average pay for women is about 85%.

We are in agreement that it is not about women in a different profession should be paid the same as what a man gets paid. Pay employees the same for the same work and the same experience.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 1:14am

Beat me to it.......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 3:05pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:27pm:

Spot

What jobs pay differently based on gender?

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 11:04am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 3:05pm:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 5:27pm:

Spot

What jobs pay differently based on gender?

Mostly white collar jobs. If a female works in a mine she gets the same pay as a male miner doing the same job.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print