Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Protesters On A Mission To Stop The City (Read 353 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Protesters On A Mission To Stop The City
Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:03am

Adani protesters pick peak hour in Brisbane to 'stop the city'   Smiley

ABC News
July 5 2019

More than 500 protesters rallying against the Adani mine approval have gathered on a mission to "stop the city", marching through Brisbane's CBD in peak hour causing minor disruptions.
Key points:

Protesters are calling on the State Government to "revoke" approvals for the mine
    Greens Senator Larissa Waters addressed the crowd, calling the mine "a travesty"
    Protest organisers were fined by the city council for parking their ute illegally

They gathered in Brisbane Square from 5:00pm, with organiser Catherine Robertson saying they planned to disrupt the city for maximum impact and visibility.

"We're stopping the city again because we can't afford to let the Adani coal mine become a reality," she said.   Smiley

"The mine is going to destroy the Galilee Basin, lead to mass extinctions and push us to a point of no return on the climate.   Sad

"This is a crisis and we demand the Government to treat it as such."

It is the second rally organised by Uni Students for Climate Justice and Movement Against Destruction since the controversial project passed its final environmental hurdle a month ago.
Hundreds of people have gathered in Brisbane Square in the city's CBD to oppose the approval of

They are calling on the State Government to "tear up the contracts" and "revoke" the approvals for the mine.

The organisers said the Government's decision to approve the mine was a disgrace and would not provide long-term jobs.   Sad

"We want sustainable jobs for North Queensland," Ms Robertson said.

"We are going to keep on disrupting the streets because we know that we can."
Hundreds of people holding anti-Adani placards gather in Brisbane Square.

The last rally, held a fortnight ago, saw hundreds march across the Victoria Bridge from the city to South Bank, shutting down one of the busiest bridges in peak hour.

Acting Inspector Andrew Bagley said police remained ready to minimise disruptions during peak hour.

"At the moment I'm happy with the crowd's behaviour," he said.

"Our hope is it remains peaceful and everyone is compliant."
'An absolute travesty'

Greens Senator Larissa Waters stood on the back of a ute as she addressed the slowly building 350 person crowd at the start of the protest.
Donning Anti-Adani earrings Larissa Waters addresses the hundreds of people in the crowd.

"It's been a challenging week," she said.

"I watched as every single person crossed the chamber to approve Adani. It's an absolute travesty.

"Every single time we march we get greater in number and our voice gets louder. We will never give up, we will stop this mine.   Smiley

"We know the science is on our side and we know we can create better longer lasting jobs for regional Queenslanders and protect the climate at the same time."

Organisers Uni Students for Climate Justice have asked for crowd donations after they said Brisbane City Council fined them $600 for having their ute parked illegally.

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Protesters On A Mission To Stop The City
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 12:01pm

Quote:
Greens Senator Larissa Waters stood on the back of a ute as she addressed the slowly building 350 person crowd at the start of the protest.
Donning Anti-Adani earrings Larissa Waters addresses the hundreds of people in the crowd.

This is really about the Greens party.

I don't like people burning stinking coal either.
Look at the cities in China -
you can't breathe for all the coal smoke.
The future deaths from all that air pollution will probably be in the millions.

The Greens need to return to the basics
& kick out all the others who hijacked their party.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Protesters On A Mission To Stop The City
Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2019 at 12:37pm

whiteknight wrote on Jul 6th, 2019 at 10:03am:
The organisers said the Government's decision to approve the mine was a disgrace and would not provide long-term jobs.   

"We want sustainable jobs for North Queensland," Ms Robertson said.

Now all they have to do is convince people that they know how to provide "sustainable" hobs in Nth Queensland. Like making feasible suggestions rather than just soap boxing.

And of course the obligatory "we know the science is on our side".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print