Send Topic Print
Folau vs Yassmin (Read 30571 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Folau vs Yassmin
Reply #465 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:22pm

cods wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 5:50pm:
its the rage that gets me...its getting uglier dont you think?...

I dont think its a good thing to use a minority group as a weapon against others.....to me thats small minded

being Gay is no one business these days  and from what I read about them  they are neither violent towards other groups....or demean other groups .. they are a pretty harmless minority as far as i am concerned  I would rather people left them alone...

Folau has chosen to use them as an example of badness  as if they have chosen the  path that will lead them to hell... what a hide he has got..he has an even bigger hide to call himself a Christian..

.what about Lepers   will they go to hell as well?  after all they too are different.. Angry Angry Angry and in a place they didnt choose...

well said cods

by the way, gandalf needs you to knit him a wooly jumper, you up for it?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #466 - Aug 5th, 2019 at 10:29pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 10:03am:
freediver wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 9:25pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 6:17pm:
freediver wrote on Aug 4th, 2019 at 1:32pm:
So pretty much any company could refuse to hire someone, or fire someone, based on them posting mindless collective of treacherous Jews memes on the internet?

Why not?

Since when has it been deemed unfair or improper for a company to take into account a candidate's public conduct before deciding to employ them?

Since all sorts of anti-discrimination laws came into place. Your employer is no longer allowed to fire you for hanging out in a gay bar, going to a mosque, attending a political protest, or blaming victims of genocide for their own demise on account of them being a mindless collective of treacherous Jews (so long as you clan blame it on your religion of course.)

None of which involves repeatedly breaching the terms of a signed code of conduct on a public platform like twitter. You're right, employers can't fire you for being gay or muslim - but they can fire you for publicly expressing hate speech - if you signed a contract/code of conduct promising you wouldn't express hate speech. Even if such expression is somehow a vital part of your religious beliefs. You wouldn't and don't dispute an employers right to sack one of their employees for publicly calling for jews to be gassed in ovens - not even if its stated specifically as their religious belief.

Hate speech is a pretty nebulous term Gandalf. It does not boil down to anything inherent to what you say, or even to your intentions, but rather to whether people choose to be offended by it. Take Folau for example. As far as I can tell, he does not hate gays any more than the rest of the people on his list. There is no way of detecting hate in his speech other than what other people project onto it.

Would you consider it fair for any company to fire you based on what you posted here about the Banu Qurayza?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #467 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 9:20am

freediver wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 10:29pm:
Hate speech is a pretty nebulous term Gandalf.

Thats really funny coming from someone whose entire argument is based on insisting that we must differentiate one of the most nebulus terms imaginable - 'religious belief'.

I have no doubt Folau doesn't hate gays, and yes identifying what constitutes breaching the clause "Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation" - is vague and open to interpretation. But guess what? The employer - ie the ones that make the clause get to make that interpretation (within reason I suppose). To me the key here is that RA actually notified Folau the first time that they considered it a breach. Folau presumably disagreed, but he should have known there and then that it was RA's perogative to interpret if and how their own clauses are breached. And Folau signed that contract containing that clause. So tough titties.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #468 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 9:42am

John Smith wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 6:22pm:

I dont think its a good thing to use a minority group as a weapon against others.....to me thats small minded

being Gay is no one business these days  and from what I read about them  they are neither violent towards other groups....or demean other groups .. they are a pretty harmless minority as far as i am concerned  I would rather people left them alone...

Folau has chosen to use them as an example of badness  as if they have chosen the  path that will lead them to hell... what a hide he has got..he has an even bigger hide to call himself a Christian..

.what about Lepers   will they go to hell as well?  after all they too are different.. Angry Angry Angry and in a place they didnt choose...

well said cods

by the way, gandalf needs you to knit him a wooly jumper, you up for it?

Yes, a good post from cods.

Smiley

And yes, gandalf needs a jumper cods.

https://woolshed.com.au/

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #469 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 6:07pm

mothra wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 5:00am:
Are you suggesting that prejudice is a self-fulfilling prophesy? Heaven forfend!

Or perhaps you misunderstand the premise?

Most of the coverage focused on the fact that Bangladeshi and black British workers earn a lot less than white people, more than two quid per hour in the case of Bangladeshis and one quid in the case of black British people. Structural racism, then, you see. Except for the slightly inconvenient point that way out there at the top of the earnings chart were the Chinese, who earned almost four quid more per hour than the whites, and indeed Indians, who earned almost £1.50 more. So if it is racism, it’s a very specific and discriminatory form of racism.

Pakistanis also do very badly by comparison, earning over three pounds less per hour than the Indians, whom they closely resemble and with whom they were once conjoined in a glorious and happy empire. How, then, can racism be to blame for this discrepancy? And if it’s not racism, then what is the cause?

The first answer might be to look at a few other statistics, such as those charting educational attainment by ethnicity. These figures — produced by the Department for Education — mirror almost exactly those earnings figures, with one or two discrepancies. For GCSEs, the Chinese come top, by a mile, the Indians come second. White British come a little further down the list, easily beaten by white Irish. Level with the white British are black people of African descent; only in the headlines are they grouped together with black British people of Caribbean heritage, who perform less well.

Now, the discrepancies. First, bottom of the list for academic attainment by a hefty margin are children from Roma/traveller families — and they were not included in that ONS survey, for reasons I will leave you to work out. And second, Bangladeshis out-perform white British kids at GCSE (although they are still well below the Indians and Chinese).

What might explain the gap between this comparative success and the low earnings of the adult population? Is it possible that the top employers would baulk at taking on someone called Mohammed, but have no aversion to the names Anand or Patel? Possibly, and we should allow for that caveat. But it is also true that of Britain’s ethnic minority communities, Pakistani and — especially — Bangladeshi adults are the least likely to speak English fluently or indeed at all. Sajid Javid highlighted this point in a government green paper — some 770,000 people in the UK have either a frail or nonexistent grasp of English, the overwhelming majority being Pakistanis and Bangladeshis.

Add to that the fact that Bangladeshi families (again from Javid’s green paper) are the least likely to take advantage of free child-care facilities, and you begin to understand why, though Bangladeshi children generally do well at school, their elders are behind in the labour market. Too many of the older generation are unable to speak English. It is also true that both Bangladeshis and Pakistanis often come from working-class backgrounds, whereas Indians and Chinese are more predominantly (although far from exclusively) middle class.

So, to sum up: first, whatever the reason for those discrepancies between ethnic minorities in earnings, racism is almost certainly not the cause. Second, the headline figure — that ethnic minorities earn 3.8 per cent less than the white British — is utterly meaningless, given the vastly different level of earnings within ethnic minority communities. Third, the most obvious explanation for disparity in earnings can be found in the figures for educational attainment: communities which value education the most highly go on to earn the most money, with the exception of Bangladeshis, who may be hampered by having insufficient language skills. Whatever the cause, then, it ain’t race.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/the-ethnicity-pay-gap-just-doesnt-add-up/

Not fitting in is the self-fulfilling prophesy: you self-select out, you ARE left out.

Fit in or rack off, as the poet Tshirt says.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #470 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 6:09pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 12:03pm:
cods wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 11:11am:
has anyone noticed the more LAWS we bring in the more angry people are getting.??

or should that be "anti"...I have never seen such [ugly] talk on any forum as we see today.

the language some use is so full of hate and aggression  yet I wonder if they have actually had to deal with anything that comes close to what they describe in a personal way.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I will be honest   I dont believe I have ever met a muslim  and I dont believe I need any LAW to tell me how to behave let alone what to think...

no law will stop peoples attitude...if someone makes up their mind about a certain group  then calling them names like racist wont change their way of thinking  it will in fact make them worse...Labels and Laws do bugger all.

Well said, cods... name-calling will only make things worse and invite a negative response.

Call me a homophobe for disagreeing with some tenet of the Gay faith, and I will say:- "then Falc the poofs!" etc.

come on grap

nothing to fear but far itself... sumthing like that

Er... sin is entirely about choice. Very important detail, keep it in mind.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #471 - Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:24pm

Gandalf would you consider it fair for any company to fire you based on what you posted here about the Banu Qurayza?

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 9:20am:
freediver wrote on Aug 5th, 2019 at 10:29pm:
Hate speech is a pretty nebulous term Gandalf.

Thats really funny coming from someone whose entire argument is based on insisting that we must differentiate one of the most nebulus terms imaginable - 'religious belief'.

I have no doubt Folau doesn't hate gays, and yes identifying what constitutes breaching the clause "Treat everyone equally, fairly and with dignity regardless of gender or gender identity, sexual orientation" - is vague and open to interpretation. But guess what? The employer - ie the ones that make the clause get to make that interpretation (within reason I suppose). To me the key here is that RA actually notified Folau the first time that they considered it a breach. Folau presumably disagreed, but he should have known there and then that it was RA's perogative to interpret if and how their own clauses are breached. And Folau signed that contract containing that clause. So tough titties.

I am yet to see any serious disagreement on here about what is a religious belief. There is pretty much constant disagreement on the meaning of hate speech. A significant number of people here would deny it has any meaning.

Quote:
To me the key here is that RA actually notified Folau

To me that is irrelevant. I can't figure out why people keep making a point of it. Even the papers do. Giving advance warning cannot turn a bad policy into a good one, and politely explaining to an employee that you are denying them the right to express their religious views does not change what you are doing.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #472 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:30pm

freediver wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 10:24pm:
Quote:

To me that is irrelevant. I can't figure out why people keep making a point of it. Even the papers do. Giving advance warning cannot turn a bad policy into a good one, and politely explaining to an employee that you are denying them the right to express their religious views does not change what you are doing.

Well that's the thing you have the right to express your views no matter what, just be prepared for the consequences.

You seem to want to live in a fantasy world where actions do not have consequences. Any society that lives like that will collapse.

Freedom of expression does not mean freedom from consequences.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #473 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:49pm

Frank wrote on Aug 6th, 2019 at 6:09pm:
has anyone noticed the more LAWS we bring in the more angry people are getting.??

or should that be "anti"...I have never seen such [ugly] talk on any forum as we see today.

the language some use is so full of hate and aggression  yet I wonder if they have actually had to deal with anything that comes close to what they describe in a personal way.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I will be honest   I dont believe I have ever met a muslim  and I dont believe I need any LAW to tell me how to behave let alone what to think...

no law will stop peoples attitude...if someone makes up their mind about a certain group  then calling them names like racist wont change their way of thinking  it will in fact make them worse...Labels and Laws do bugger all.

Well said, cods... name-calling will only make things worse and invite a negative response.

Call me a homophobe for disagreeing with some tenet of the Gay faith, and I will say:- "then Falc the poofs!" etc.

come on grap

are lepers and gays born?   or do they choose?...

Undecided Undecided

you tell me!

I always thought they were born ....but!

there but for the grace of god go I..

we are all sinners frank.. yes even you pet!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #474 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 1:07pm

Raven wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:30pm:
Quote:

Well that's the thing you have the right to express your views no matter what, just be prepared for the consequences.

You seem to want to live in a fantasy world where actions do not have consequences. Any society that lives like that will collapse.

Rugby Australia is now facing the consequences of illegally firing Folau.

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #475 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:05pm

freediver wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 1:07pm:
Quote:

Good.
Hopefully Qantas is too.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #476 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:39pm

cods wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:49pm:

come on grap

Undecided Undecided

you tell me!

No one is born a Leper  Grin It's a bacterial infection ......

it can be spread by coughing or sneezing.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #477 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 3:44pm

Gandalf would you consider it fair for any company to fire you based on what you posted here about the Banu Qurayza?

Based on what i actually posted - no, based on the racist words you shoved down my throat and pretended I said - probably - provided of course I willingly signed a contract in effect saying I wouldn't be racist like that, and after they had warned me that they considered those words racist and in breach of my contract.

I am yet to see any serious disagreement on here about what is a religious belief. There is pretty much constant disagreement on the meaning of hate speech.

Suffice to say I don't think anyone would disagree that calling on jews to be gassed in ovens is hate speech. Its also perfectly plausible that it could also be a religious belief. A person's religious belief is literally what the person claims it to be - as no one is in any position to say otherwise. While we all disagree on what constitute unacceptable hate speech, I think I can safely nevertheless say that we all agree that such speech exists. And if it does exist, and if 'religious belief' can be absolutely anything, then it is undeniable that this apparently sanctified, untouchable thing you call "religious belief" - can, and no doubt does, include hate speech. At that point, we are left with no other choice but to accept that 'religious belief' is not always the sanctified, untouchable privilege you make it out to be.

Since your only argument seems to be the need to uphold the sanctity of religious beliefs, you would presumably be ok if RA had said "thou shalt not smear gays - unless its an expression of 'religious belief', in which case its quite alright" - yes? Which is of course laughable.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #478 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 7:11pm

freediver wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 1:07pm:
Quote:

Do you believe this woman should have been sacked?

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #479 - Aug 7th, 2019 at 7:14pm

Gnads wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 2:39pm:
cods wrote on Aug 7th, 2019 at 12:49pm:

come on grap

Undecided Undecided

you tell me!

No one is born a Leper  Grin It's a bacterial infection ......

it can be spread by coughing or sneezing.

Yes, the old boy caught that, poor thing.

It can also be spread by stool, you see.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 
Send Topic Print