Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Does Australia need Nukes? (Read 2570 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Does Australia need Nukes?
Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:25pm

Should Australia develop its own nuclear deterrent?
4 Oct 2018    Paul Dibb

Trident Missile.

Australia’s deteriorating strategic outlook raises the question under what conditions should we develop a nuclear weapon of our own? This option was seriously considered by Australian governments in the 1960s, and the Department of Defence kept the technological lead time for an Australian nuclear weapon under review until the early 1980s. That was at the height of the Cold War and, as one of America’s closest allies, we faced a real risk of Soviet nuclear attack.

We face no such risk these days. Nevertheless, we now have the prospect—for the first time since World War II—of a potential major-power adversary threatening us with high-intensity military conflict in our neighbourhood. This is not to identify China as an inevitable adversary, but prudent defence planning needs to accept that Beijing is developing the conventional military capabilities to threaten us seriously—were its intentions to change. Military developments in our region of primary strategic concern now require a change to our assessments about intelligence warning time.

So, we face a stark dilemma: increasing uncertainty about US extended nuclear deterrence versus the daunting alternative of acquiring our own nuclear deterrent. The other alternative is to simply accept (as we did in the Cold War) that we are a nuclear target and take our chances.

My view is that Australia should at least be looking at options and lead times. Doing so doesn’t commit us to proliferating.

The only other credible option is for us to develop a strong conventional force capable of denying the approaches to Australia to any well-armed adversary. That would demand a substantial increase in our defence budget, but it would leave us vulnerable to Trump’s ambiguous ‘America First’ version of extended nuclear deterrence.

much more here:
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/should-australia-develop-its-own-nuclear-deter...

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Does Australia need Nukes?
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:27pm

I'm undecided.
I don't think we can afford it - it would bankrupt us.
Also - it would make us a nuclear target.
It's not as though we could ever use them as we'd
be utterly destroyed in a counter attack.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:29pm

Depends on who does the deciding

Recent news indicates we're being pressured to spend more schools, hospitals, infrastructure etc on weapons of war

which is ridiculous as we know

we're sitting ducks and the only thing we should invest in, militarily, is a bunch of big white flags

but war is profit

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:32pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:27pm:
I'm undecided.

You want this guy to have his finger on the button?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 4:38pm

I'm undecided.

It wasn't going to bankrupt us in the 1960s, Bobby.  It would not bankrupt us now.  It would, however skew our defence budget severely in one direction and force us to abandon the development/purchase of conventional weapons unless we substantially increased our taxes.

Quote:

Really?  What about Pine Gap, NW Cape and Gladstone?   I was always under the impression those sites made us a nuclear target already, Bobby.   Des Ball once suggested that in a nuclear exchange between the US and the fUSSR, we would be unlikely to be hit, except at Pine Gap.  His view was that the fUSSR didn't have nukes to waste on a minor ally.  However, I am sure if China was interested in striking us (again which I severely doubt), I think they'd waste a few on us.

Quote:

Not quite.  All our capital and most of our major cities would be destroyed.  However, Australia is a lot larger than just those population centres, Bobby...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:15pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:32pm:
I'm undecided.

https://theaimn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Morrison-e1555989508493.jpeg

ScoMo is a worry.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:22pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 4:38pm:
I'm undecided.

It wasn't going to bankrupt us in the 1960s, Bobby.  It would not bankrupt us now.  It would, however skew our defence budget severely in one direction and force us to abandon the development/purchase of conventional weapons unless we substantially increased our taxes.

Quote:

Really?  What about Pine Gap, NW Cape and Gladstone?   I was always under the impression those sites made us a nuclear target already, Bobby.   Des Ball once suggested that in a nuclear exchange between the US and the fUSSR, we would be unlikely to be hit, except at Pine Gap.  His view was that the fUSSR didn't have nukes to waste on a minor ally.  However, I am sure if China was interested in striking us (again which I severely doubt), I think they'd waste a few on us.

Quote:

Not quite.  All our capital and most of our major cities would be destroyed.  However, Australia is a lot larger than just those population centres, Bobby...   Roll Eyes

Dear Brian,
did you read the article?
Bankruptcy?
Well the POMs are in this position:
Quote:
The UK Ministry of Defence estimates the cost of its next-generation Dreadnought SSBNs at about $55 billion for four boats, plus a contingency of $20 billion. It also estimates the cost of sustaining the Trident missile replacement program over 35 years to be $300 billion.

We'd have to start from scratch -
we don't have any delivery vehicles such as ICBMs.
We don't have nuclear reactors to make all the plutonium we'd need.
We are already up to our necks in debt.
We could only pay for it with more debt.

Targets?
Our main capital cities would become targets not just Pine Gap.
The USSR has plenty of missiles to waste on us -
they have enough to destroy the world many times over.

Do we really want to see Melbourne & Sydney
turned into smoking ruins?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:24pm

By the way.
This topic was on the radio this lunchtime and
was on ABC news tonight.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 6:49pm

Yes please

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2019 at 7:55pm

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6054565868001

USA 'may not be able' to defend Australia against China

02/07/2019|5min

Former Defence Department official Professor Hugh White says Australia must 'significantly ramp up' its defence spending, as America may not be able to 'preserve its leadership in Asia' in the face of China's growing influence.

China's influence in the Asia-Pacific region is increasing, with the authoritarian nation conducting a series of anti-ship ballistic missile tests in the South China Sea.

Mr White says in the longer term, China will be 'more powerful' than Soviet Russia, meaning America will be unlikely to 'marshal the strength required' to defend the region.

He says Australia may have to take the tough decision to consider a nuclear weapons program to counter China's dominance in the region.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 8:10am

Mr White wheres the money coming from?.   Sad 

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 8:51am

whiteknight wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 8:10am:

Borrow of course when we're already in massive debt.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 3:53pm

I would suggest it would come at the expense of higher taxes and fewer conventional weapons.

The main problem with nuclear weapons is that they induce a false sense of security.  They are weapons of last resort and so you cannot really, sensibly use them unless you are facing an existential confrontation or attack.  This means that you cannot use them to defend your nation or national interests against conventional attack.  You would be over-reacting and face worldwide condemnation for doing so, unless you were facing imminent defeat.

Then, there is the danger of the first use syndrome.   If you are faced by a nation with ICBMs, you fear you must use your own nuclear weapons before they are destroyed in a mythical first strike scenario.  If your forces are caught on the ground and destroyed, they are wasted.  This means that you are urged to mount your own first strike to prevent being caught unawares.   This results in increased tension and of course the danger that you will launch by mistake.

Nuclear weapons brings with them a whole raft of military and political problems which Australia does not need.  We lack at the moment nuclear technicians and engineers.  In the mid-1960s, it was determined we were about 18 months-2 years away from building our own bomb.  Today, we are no long producing, except a handful of nuclear technicians and engineers for our two nuclear reactors at Lucas Heights.  We would need hundreds of both to build a bomb successfully and in sufficient numbers to make a difference to our strategic situation.   We lack rocket engineers and technicians of any number, which we would need for the manufacture and maintenance of missiles of any kind.  We are now, I believe about 10-15 years away from building a bomb.   You simply cannot declare "we will build a bomb" and have one magically appear overnight.  It took Pakistan about 15 years plus to build theirs from scratch and about 15 years for the North Koreans to do the same.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 5:57pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 3:53pm:

I would suggest it would come at the expense of higher taxes and fewer conventional weapons.

The main problem with nuclear weapons is that they induce a false sense of security.  They are weapons of last resort and so you cannot really, sensibly use them unless you are facing an existential confrontation or attack.  This means that you cannot use them to defend your nation or national interests against conventional attack.  You would be over-reacting and face worldwide condemnation for doing so, unless you were facing imminent defeat.

Then, there is the danger of the first use syndrome.   If you are faced by a nation with ICBMs, you fear you must use your own nuclear weapons before they are destroyed in a mythical first strike scenario.  If your forces are caught on the ground and destroyed, they are wasted.  This means that you are urged to mount your own first strike to prevent being caught unawares.   This results in increased tension and of course the danger that you will launch by mistake.

Nuclear weapons brings with them a whole raft of military and political problems which Australia does not need.  We lack at the moment nuclear technicians and engineers.  In the mid-1960s, it was determined we were about 18 months-2 years away from building our own bomb.  Today, we are no long producing, except a handful of nuclear technicians and engineers for our two nuclear reactors at Lucas Heights.  We would need hundreds of both to build a bomb successfully and in sufficient numbers to make a difference to our strategic situation.   We lack rocket engineers and technicians of any number, which we would need for the manufacture and maintenance of missiles of any kind.  We are now, I believe about 10-15 years away from building a bomb.   You simply cannot declare "we will build a bomb" and have one magically appear overnight.  It took Pakistan about 15 years plus to build theirs from scratch and about 15 years for the North Koreans to do the same.

So - do you know more than  Professor Hugh White?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:01pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 5:57pm:

I know I know more than you, Bobby...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:01pm:

Ye hath yet to rebut the claims I made:

Targets?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:44pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm:

Targets?

I have answered each of your points, Bobby.  Reread what I have written in this thread (and numerous others).    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:55pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:44pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 6:32pm:

Targets?

I have answered each of your points, Bobby.  Reread what I have written in this thread (and numerous others).    Roll Eyes

No you didn't.

Another point.

We would lose our moral credibility when we support
sanctions for rogue nations like
North Korea and Iran, against their nuclear programs.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:02pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:55pm:
Another point.

An interesting point, Bobby.

Back in the early 1960s, Australia was very critical of South African Apartheid.  The South Africans hit back, pointing out the hypocrisy of the Australian Government with regards to its treatment of Indigenous Australians.   The Australian Government was forced to accept that criticism.  It was one of the reasons why the 1967 Referendum recognising Indigenous Australians went ahead.

Would our acquiring our own nukes mean we would no longer be able to criticise other, rogue nations outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Pact?   I suspect so.   We would be required to renounce our signature on the document at the very least.  It was why we abandoned the quest for nuclear weapons in 1968 IIRC.  Gorton was keen on our acquiring the bomb.  McMahon less so.  With the ousting of Gorton, McMahon instructed the Department of Foreign Affairs to sign the Non-Proliferation Treaty and for the CSIRO to cease it's research into acquiring a bomb.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2019 at 4:25pm by Brian Ross »  

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 4:07pm

Quote:

don't we ?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:40pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 3:02pm:
Another point.

Back in the early 1960s, Australia was very critical of South African Apartheid.  The South Africans hit back, pointing out the hypocrisy of the Australian Government with regards to its treatment of Indigenous Australians.   The Australian Government was forced to accept that criticism.  It was one of the reasons why the 1967 Referendum recognising Indigenous Australians went ahead.

Would our acquiring our own nukes mean we would no longer be able to criticise other, rogue nations outside the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Pact?   I suspect so.   We would be required to renounce our signature on the document at the very least.  It was why we abandoned the quest for nuclear weapons in 1968 IIRC.  Gorton was keen on our acquiring the bomb.  McMahon less so.  With the ousting of Gorton, McMahon instructed the Department of Foreign Affairs to sign the Non-Proliferation Treaty and for the CSIRO to cease it's research into acquiring a bomb.

Not only that -
we don't have the technology:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #21 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:41pm

PZ547 wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 4:07pm:
Quote:

don't we ?

No we don't and that's what would happen
if Australia ever used a nuclear weapon against
a power that also had them.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:48pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:40pm:
Another point.

Not only that -
we don't have the technology

We might not have the finer points of the art of bomb design but we do have access to the grosser points, Bobby.  Australia has been a leading nation in Atomic research since it's inception.   Sir Marcus Oliphant contributed to the creation of the first Atomic bomb and Uranium from Rum Jungle helped the British build theirs'.  The ANU and the Snowy River scheme was originally created to further our quest for a bomb back in the late 1940s.  When the British reneged on their promise to supply us with Atomic knowledge because the US said they would not share with them in case it leaked across to Australia - a nation the US considered at the time very vulnerable to Soviet espoinage, the original purposes for either tended to be forgotten and they became useful for other things...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:50pm

The whole issue's a bit dodgy

We can't have guns to protect ourselves in our homes when imported gangsters crash in with their guns and baseball bats

but temporary politicians, paid by us, can have nukes ?

No.  Don't like it

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:02pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:48pm:
Another point.

Not only that -

We might not have the finer points of the art of bomb design but we do have access to the grosser points, Bobby.  Australia has been a leading nation in Atomic research since it's inception.   Sir Marcus Oliphant contributed to the creation of the first Atomic bomb and Uranium from Rum Jungle helped the British build theirs'.  The ANU and the Snowy River scheme was originally created to further our quest for a bomb back in the late 1940s.  When the British reneged on their promise to supply us with Atomic knowledge because the US said they would not share with them in case it leaked across to Australia - a nation the US considered at the time very vulnerable to Soviet espionage, the original purposes for either tended to be forgotten and they became useful for other things...   Roll Eyes

Dear Brian,
May I suggest you watch the 2 videos as there are
so many classified technical fine points that
obviously the learned presenter doesn't know -
and he admits it -
I can see we'd be 15 years to 40 years behind.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #25 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:05pm

PZ547 wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:50pm:
The whole issue's a bit dodgy

We can't have guns to protect ourselves in our homes when imported gangsters crash in with their guns and baseball bats

but temporary politicians, paid by us, can have nukes ?

No.  Don't like it

I just think that nuclear weapons are unusable.
The only time they were ever used in war was when the other side -
actually no one else - had them.

Now there are too many countries with them, even
that little rocket man in North Korea has many.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:31pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:02pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 5:48pm:
Another point.

Not only that -

We might not have the finer points of the art of bomb design but we do have access to the grosser points, Bobby.  Australia has been a leading nation in Atomic research since it's inception.   Sir Marcus Oliphant contributed to the creation of the first Atomic bomb and Uranium from Rum Jungle helped the British build theirs'.  The ANU and the Snowy River scheme was originally created to further our quest for a bomb back in the late 1940s.  When the British reneged on their promise to supply us with Atomic knowledge because the US said they would not share with them in case it leaked across to Australia - a nation the US considered at the time very vulnerable to Soviet espionage, the original purposes for either tended to be forgotten and they became useful for other things...   Roll Eyes

Dear Brian,
May I suggest you watch the 2 videos as there are
so many classified technical fine points that
obviously the learned presenter doesn't know -
and he admits it -
I can see we'd be 15 years to 40 years behind.

Bobby, Bobby, even I could design a working Atomic bomb.  It isn't rocket science. Of course, it would be a simplistic "gun type" bomb, not a you beaut implosion kind.  That would take a little longer, I am willing to admit.

Now, if you want a Hydrogen bomb, that might take a lot longer and a bit more research but I think I could build one without too many difficulties.

Of course I'd need to experiment a few times to make sure I've got the details right...    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:40pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:31pm:
Bobby, Bobby, even I could design a working Atomic bomb.  It isn't rocket science. Of course, it would be a simplistic "gun type" bomb, not a you beaut implosion kind.  That would take a little longer, I am willing to admit.

Now, if you want a Hydrogen bomb, that might take a lot longer and a bit more research but I think I could build one without too many difficulties.

Of course I'd need to experiment a few times to make sure I've got the details right...    Roll Eyes

No one would use a gun type bomb.
It requires a huge amount of U235.
Look at North Korea - their first bombs were all fizzers - hardly any yield.
That's because it's not simple to design
even for top nuclear scientists.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:46pm

Brian couldn't even build a fart bomb let alone a nuke.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #29 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:46pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 3rd, 2019 at 3:53pm:

Very good points.

Well done sir!

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #30 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 8:40pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:40pm:

Where did I suggest it would be cheap, Bobby?  We could build a gun type bomb.  It doesn't need a huge amount of U235, it just needs a large amount, preferably highly enriched Uranium.  The South Africans were going to manage a series of small bombs using only a hundred or so kilograms.

The reason why the DPRK's first few bombs were fizzers was because they were trying with a handful of Plutonium and an implosion device.  The first implosion device, the "Fat Man" bomb was comparatively huge that was partly because the Fat Man lacked miniaturised electronics.   Nowadays, if you know what you're doing you can make it the size of a large suitcase.

Were you aware that the Pakistanis' first bombs were also fizzers?  That was because they used a (deliberately) defective Chinese design.  It seems the Chinese are more inscrutable than we believed...

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #31 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 8:41pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:46pm:
Brian couldn't even build a fart bomb let alone a nuke.

Run along, Hammer.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #32 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 9:04pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 8:40pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jul 4th, 2019 at 6:40pm:

Where did I suggest it would be cheap, Bobby?  We could build a gun type bomb.  It doesn't need a huge amount of U235, it just needs a large amount, preferably highly enriched Uranium.  The South Africans were going to manage a series of small bombs using only a hundred or so kilograms.

The reason why the DPRK's first few bombs were fizzers was because they were trying with a handful of Plutonium and an implosion device.  The first implosion device, the "Fat Man" bomb was comparatively huge that was partly because the Fat Man lacked miniaturised electronics.   Nowadays, if you know what you're doing you can make it the size of a large suitcase.

Were you aware that the Pakistanis' first bombs were also fizzers?  That was because they used a (deliberately) defective Chinese design.  It seems the Chinese are more inscrutable than we believed... 

With a P239 bomb you only need 7 Kgs of material.
With a U235 bomb you need 10 times that amount
about 70 Kgs.
That's why they use P239 that can be easily made in a Uranium reactor.

The fizzing problem is not simple at all with P239.
You have to reflect neutrons back in but if you reflect too many it will fizz out.
It also requires an initiator at the center of a hollow sphere or pit.
How can they stop that from causing criticality too soon?
There are precise amounts of material in many different shells
and the timing has to be perfect or it will be a fizzer
with almost no yield.

I am actually very surprised that the first P239 Trinity test worked at all.
It shows you how smart they were.
They did it in only 3 years.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #33 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:08pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 7:55pm:
https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6054565868001

USA 'may not be able' to defend Australia against China

02/07/2019|5min

Former Defence Department official Professor Hugh White says Australia must 'significantly ramp up' its defence spending, as America may not be able to 'preserve its leadership in Asia' in the face of China's growing influence.

Not only is the first paragraph seemingly arrogant coming from a former US Defence Department official about their role in Asia. But the context makes it seem that the USA had decided long ago not to worry about defence in the Southwest Pacific. I seem to agree with the official about them not needing to concern themselves with the defence of anywhere in the Pacific that is not a US territory, if that is what he is implying.

The whole problem with the article is that Australia is not going about provoking conflicts and wars with our neighbours. Our leaders and officials go out of their way to placate the larger Asian countries.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2019 at 10:14pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 2nd, 2019 at 3:32pm:
I'm undecided.

https://theaimn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Morrison-e1555989508493.jpeg

On the one hand, you probably won't see any nations nearby Australia that have hostilities towards Australia. Especially if there are no sizable Christian populations living there. On the other hand, if the Americans say no to Morrison, he won't do schitt.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #35 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:35pm

Q&A to discuss this topic tonight.

( as only one of many topics)

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:23pm

Yes nukes and biological weapons

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #37 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:42pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:23pm:

I think better points were made here.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #38 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:47pm

Nukes are expensive.  Biological weapons are uncertain and not terribly effective.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #39 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:58pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:47pm:

Nukes are expensive.  Biological weapons are uncertain and not terribly effective.   Roll Eyes

Biological weapons have the ability to wipe the whole world out very quickly -
especially with jet air travel.
The whole pandemic could envelop the world in under a week.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #40 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 2:41pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:58pm:

Most pandemics usually are only about 30-40% effective, Bobby.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #41 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:31pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 2:41pm:

But biological weapons are designed so we have no immunity to them -
it's the ultimate evil.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 7:21pm

it's the ultimate evil.

Australia could have enough vaccinations available to protect its citizens.
The rest of the world would be safe,,, just dont invade us

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #43 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:22pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 3:31pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 2:41pm:

it's the ultimate evil.

You don't think it might be a good idea to make sure that we are safe from our own weapons, Bobby?

However, that aside, you were talking about pandemics which are of course naturally occurring and not weapons...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #44 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 5:22pm

miketrees wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 7:21pm:
it's the ultimate evil.

Australia could have enough vaccinations available to protect its citizens.
The rest of the world would be safe,,, just dont invade us

Who is going to bother to invade us, Mike?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print