Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Culture of double-speak at Qantas (Read 2537 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Culture of double-speak at Qantas
Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:39am

A culture of double-speak and abuse of power appears to be developing at Qantas. This is bad for shareholders, bad for customers, bad for employees and bad for the broader community. We can now see that this is coming from the very top. Qantas CEO, Alan Joyce, recently held a media conference in which he flatly denied pulling strings behind the scenes to get Israel Folau fired. He then went on to explain in great detail how he pulled strings behind the scenes to get Israel Folau fired.

This was not some off-the-cuff remark. It was a carefully scripted media release. Alan Joyce may well be losing his marbles, but he no doubt has plenty of advisers and assistants. None of them told him this was a bad idea. So either he is surrounded by 'yes men', or they are all so indoctrinated into homofascist hypocrisy that none of them could see this for what it is.

Here it is:

Quote:
‘Outrageous’: Qantas boss Alan Joyce responds to explosive Folau allegation

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/outrageous-qantas-boss-alan-joyce-responds-to-explosive-folau-allegation/news-story/d9ad04a6f6debbb268f0faf871ca06b3

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce says claims he was responsible for ordering Israel Folau’s sacking are “outrageous” while comparing the saga to cricket’s ball tampering brouhaha.

Speaking at a media conference on Thursday, Joyce reiterated that the airline was supportive of Rugby Australia’s decision to tear up Folau’s contract.

But he shot down the accusation from former Wallabies coach Alan Jones — and others — that the team’s major sponsor was actively involved in the employment dispute and subsequent contract termination.

“We sponsor organisations and sports teams to get a positive benefit out of it,” Joyce told reporters.

“When it becomes controversial, we, of course, want the sporting code to fix those issues.

“Israel’s comments were terrible for a large element of the community, a vulnerable element of the community.

“We felt that was causing controversy for our sponsorship and as a consequence, we asked Rugby Australia ‘what are you doing to make sure we’re not involved in controversy?’”

“It is their issue to resolve, they have put a solution in place, they’re working through that and we’re very supportive of what they’re doing.

“The same was true of Cricket Australia with the ball tampering, we said ‘that was not good.’ “Some sponsors pulled out, we didn’t.

“We gave them time to fix it, and they fixed it.

“We’re still a sponsor and continue to be a sponsor because they did the right thing.”

Joyce also joked that Jones was welcome to continue flying with Qantas.

“We don’t discriminate against anybody — other people may, but we don’t,” he laughed.

“Even Alan Jones is welcome to get Lifetime Platinum Status if he gets there.”

I recently came across a similar attitude in dealing with Qantas staff. Qantas basically scammed extra baggage fees. This is how the scam works: Qantas staff reassure a passenger that certain baggage fees will not be charged. Partner airlines hold you to ransom at check-in and demand the fee on behalf of Qantas. They instruct you to approach Qantas for a refund. Both airlines then deny responsibility for the mistake and no refund is issued. After great effort over several months, I managed to speak to an industry customer service rep over the phone. She was literally the worst customer service rep I had ever encountered. She came across as a drunk person deliberately trying to wind me up, and mocked the extended effort I was going to to get fair treatment. Ultimately their justification for this scam was that they wrote themselves a right to conduct this scam into their paperwork. The industry customer service rep supposedly comes from an independent body designed to alleviate the government from having to regulate against this sort of scam, however the body is funded by Qantas.

Quote:
Qantas and American Airlines hitting customers with last minute 'surprise fees' at check-in

http://www.ozpolitic.com/articles/qantas-american-airlines-last-minute-surprise-...

Qantas and American Airlines are charging customers 'surprise fees' for baggage at check-in for codeshare flights that they later both deny responsibility for. Here is an example of how the scam works:

A customer purchases a ticket from Qantas for a two-leg flight. One of the legs is on American Airlines. It is a codeshare flight and the ticket is issued as a QF (Qantas) ticket. Prior to the flight, Qantas assures the customer that the Qantas baggage rules apply and that no extra fees will be charged.

At check-in, American Airlines refuse to carry the luggage unless an additional fee is paid. They claim (incorrectly) that the fee is being charged under Qantas rules, referring to the incorrect page on the Qantas website to justify the fee. The amount charged is also not in accordance with Qantas pricing. They insist that the fee is being charged on behalf of Qantas and that if the fee is incorrect the customer simply has to inform Qantas staff before they board the next flight to get a refund. This tactic in employed in 'high pressure' environments, for example when there is a long queue of people or the customer is dealing with children throwing a tantrum, so they choose the 'easier' option of paying the fee and chasing it up later.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:45am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Culture of double-speak at Qantas
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:42am

...continued

Quote:
No Qantas staff are present prior to boarding the next flight. On arrival in Australia the Qantas staff refuse to discuss the issue and refer the customer to Qantas' online 'customer care' portal. Qantas customer care staff then deny responsibility for the charge. Further complaints are referred to the 'Airline Customer Advocate'. This is an organisation that claims to be independent and is listed on various Australian government fair trading websites. However, it is funded by the airlines. They give the same answer.

Meanwhile American Airlines does not respond to any further complaints about the matter.

The fee, charged by an American company, in US dollars, inside the US, is not covered by Australian law. That is, despite Qantas' initial reassurance that no extra charges would be applied, Australian law allows them to pass the buck to their codeshare partner.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:45pm

You need to start TWO Threads on the same issue Effendi?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 2:45pm

They prefer the term 'yes persons'....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:16pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:45pm:

Is there another thread on Alan Joyce?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:19pm

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:39am:
I recently came across a similar attitude in dealing with Qantas staff.

ahhhh ... that's why so many comments on joyce in so many threads Cheesy.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 7:33pm

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 10:41pm

If the highest Qantas management is fostering a PC [illusory] in-house culture, does that suggest, that Qantas may eventually go the way of Anset and TAA ?

illusory = = based on illusion; not real.

I have noticed that many PC influenced systems/hierarchies, often want to ignore important realities.

Not something which could be regarded as a huge 'virtue', in any industry which needs to vigorously confront the reality of a potentially dangerous working environment!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2019 at 11:37pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:45pm:

Yes, but this one's about excess baggage fees.

I wonder where Effendi was going.

Not Alice Springs, shurely. The Boongs won't let him in.

Dubai?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 8:39am

No.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 8:52am

Everything about airports is designed to rip you off.

An obvious example is exchanging money for another currency -
if you want the worst possible rate - do so at an airport.

Another one is parking -
the short term car park at Melbourne airport can be more expensive
than a air ticket to fly to Sydney.

I avoid traveling so that I don't get ripped off.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 5:52pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 8:52am:
Everything about airports is designed to rip you off.

yes, but Quantas is run by poofs. FD is allowed to be upset at them for it.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 5:56pm

I only fly Emirates

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 6:05pm

aquascoot wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 5:56pm:
I only fly Emirates

they're run by terrorists aren't they.

Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 6:44pm

QANTAS should change their logo from a kangaroo to a big pimply spread open asshole.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print