Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print
freedom from religion (Read 10819 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: freedom from religion
Reply #15 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:34am

John Smith wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:23am:
freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 8:53am:
Did Folau hurt your feelings John?

not personally, I couldn't care less what any bible bashers thinks. That doesn't mean he should be allowed to get away with attacking others.

What do you mean by "get away with" John? And how was he attacking people?

Auggie wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:32am:
However, if a private company or individual chooses to fire a person because they hold values repugnant to that organisation, then that's acceptable.

So you would accept being fired for thinking homosexuality is acceptable?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:36am

Another attempt to redefine freedom:

Virtue signalling is also faux outrage disguised as fighting for free speech. No one is destroying freedom of speech. He is free to say whatever he likes. He just wasn't free to post some of it on social media.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:37am

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:27am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:15am:
freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:50am:
If you got fired for posting on facebook that gays don't go to hell, would you be so quick to defend your boss's actions on a technicality?

That would depend what is in my employment contract.
The fact is that it's not a "technicality". Falou was repeatedly warned that his social media behaviour was unacceptable but he chose to ignore hos employers directives

Quote:
“Following the events of last year, Israel was warned formally and repeatedly about the expectations of him as player for the Wallabies and NSW Waratahs with regards to social media use and he has failed to meet those obligations. It was made clear to him that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.
https://australia.rugby/news/2019/04/15/israel-folau-issued-breach-notice

So it is clear that he is free to post what ever he wants about his religion as long as it doesn't breach his employment contract

So if your contract had some vague clause about respecting other people's religious beliefs, you would support your boss firing you for saying that gays don't go to hell?

You have missed the point that Falou was repeatedly and clearly warned that his social media behaviour was unacceptable.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:39am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:37am:
freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:27am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:15am:
freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:50am:
If you got fired for posting on facebook that gays don't go to hell, would you be so quick to defend your boss's actions on a technicality?

That would depend what is in my employment contract.
The fact is that it's not a "technicality". Falou was repeatedly warned that his social media behaviour was unacceptable but he chose to ignore hos employers directives

Quote:
“Following the events of last year, Israel was warned formally and repeatedly about the expectations of him as player for the Wallabies and NSW Waratahs with regards to social media use and he has failed to meet those obligations. It was made clear to him that any social media posts or commentary that is in any way disrespectful to people because of their sexuality will result in disciplinary action.
https://australia.rugby/news/2019/04/15/israel-folau-issued-breach-notice

So it is clear that he is free to post what ever he wants about his religion as long as it doesn't breach his employment contract

So if your contract had some vague clause about respecting other people's religious beliefs, you would support your boss firing you for saying that gays don't go to hell?

You have missed the point that Falou was repeatedly and clearly warned that his social media behaviour was unacceptable.

It's irrelevant. It's not an issue because it was a surprise. It's an issue because it was an attack on freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of conscience etc. Warning people that you are denying them that freedom doesn't change that.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:40am

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:36am:

Virtue signalling is also faux outrage disguised as fighting for free speech. No one is destroying freedom of speech. He is free to say whatever he likes. He just wasn't free to post some of it on social media.

huh? I was defining virtue signalling you dope.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:42am

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:34am:
What do you mean by "get away with" John?

free of consequences

And how was he attacking people?

by posting crap on social media

So you would accept being fired for thinking homosexuality is acceptable?

no one was fired for what they were thinking. If he'd stuck to thinking it only, he'd still be raking in the millions.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:43am

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:39am:
It's irrelevant.

rubbish.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:44am

John Smith wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:40am:

So you were not redefining freedom when you said he was free to say whatever he wants, despite not being free to say it online?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:46am

Agreed
It's also enlightening that the same people were only too willing to attack and call for the sacking of Yassmin Abdel-Magied after her Anzac day post. She did actually delete the post and apologise for it but that wasn't enough.

The hypocrisy is breath taking

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:46am

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:44am:

So you were not redefining freedom when you said he was free to say whatever he wants, despite not being free to say it online?

those were the terms he agreed to. Just like I agreed to abide by your rules when I sign up to ozpol.

Or are you arguing i should be free to say what I like despite your rules?

How much are you going to give me in compensation for all the bans I've received FD?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:47am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:46am:

Agreed
It's also enlightening that the same people were only too willing to attack and call for the sacking of Yassmin Abdel-Magied after her Anzac day post. She did actually delete the post and apologise for it but that wasn't enough.

The hypocrisy is breath taking

hilarious isn't it. Almost exactly the same people, arguing for the other side.  Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:00pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:46am:
freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 11:44am:

those were the terms he agreed to. Just like I agreed to abide by your rules when I sign up to ozpol.

Or are you arguing i should be free to say what I like despite your rules?

How much are you going to give me in compensation for all the bans I've received FD?

Losing your job is not the same as being banned from an internet forum. One is demonstrable harm, the other is being a whiny little bitch.

Quote:
It's also enlightening that the same people were only too willing to attack and call for the sacking of Yassmin Abdel-Magied after her Anzac day post.

Getting fired from a taxpayer funded job for wasting taxpayer's money to line your own pockets is not a restriction on freedom of speech.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:10pm

freediver wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:00pm:
Quote:
It's also enlightening that the same people were only too willing to attack and call for the sacking of Yassmin Abdel-Magied after her Anzac day post.

Getting fired from a taxpayer funded job for wasting taxpayer's money to line your own pockets is not a restriction on freedom of speech.

nice diversion but once again you are missing the point (or deliberately avoiding it)

The VERY same people who are defending Falou's freedom of speech were calling for the sacking of Yassmin Abdel-Magied after her Anzac day post

That's pretty much the definition of hypocrisy

IP Logged

bwood1946
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:13pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
Quote:

nice diversion but once again you are missing the point (or deliberately avoiding it)

The VERY same people who are defending Falou's freedom of speech were calling for the sacking of Yassmin Abdel-Magied after her Anzac day post

Two totally different things!

TPI  VETERAN
bwood1946 bwood1946  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 1:37pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 30th, 2019 at 12:10pm:
Quote:

Probably before too.

Can you quote them? There are an aweful lot of people defending Folau.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 16
Send Topic Print