Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Trump and the wrong Megan Rapinoe (Read 2082 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Trump and the wrong Megan Rapinoe
Jun 27th, 2019 at 4:48pm

Trump attacked the wrong 'Megan Rapinoe' on Twitter and her response has gone viral.

When it comes to attacks from the President on Twitter, no one is safe.

Trump unleashed a firestorm of criticism directed at USWNT star Megan Rapinoe Wednesday after she told reporters she wouldn't visit the White House if her team wins the 2019 Women's World Cup.

"I'm not going to the smacking White House," Rapinoe told Eight by Eight. "We're not going to be invited," the co-captain said in a video from behind the scenes of a cover story shoot for the soccer magazine.

"[Trump] tries to avoid inviting a team that might decline. Or, like he did when the Warriors turned him down, he'll claim they hadn't been invited in the first place," she said in an interview with the magazine.

Eight by Eight shared the video on Twitter Tuesday, which according to the New York Times was recorded in January when the photoshoot took place. The issue was recently released in May and an online version of the story appeared on the publication's website in June.

27 progressive Twitter users worth following for a deeper look at a few familiar topics.

Not one to let insults slide, Trump took to his favorite social media platform to respond to Rapinoe's comments with a series of nonsensical replies.

In his swift response, Trump didn't bother checking to make sure he was tagging the correct Megan Rapinoe. Instead of tagging the soccer player, he instead tagged another Megan Rapinoe (though the president has since corrected his tweets).

Fortunately, the "other" Megan Rapino took it in stride. Finding her Twitter overwhelmed by people who'd clicked her account after reading Trump's tweet, she decided to let the world know just what she thought of the president's taking the real Rapinoe to task:

maybe megan rapinoe
@meganrapino

mom come pick me up old men are attacking me

12:34 AM - Jun 27, 2019

https://www.upworthy.com/trump-twitter-megan-rapinoe?fbclid=IwAR1_UVQIUIGxFW9kJP...

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Trump and the wrong Megan Rapinoe
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:15pm

mothra wrote on Jun 27th, 2019 at 4:48pm:
he instead tagged another Megan Rapinoe (though the president has since corrected his tweets).

The horror!!!!  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:44pm

mom come pick me up old men are attacking me

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:17am

Frank wrote on Jun 27th, 2019 at 6:15pm:
he instead tagged another Megan Rapinoe (though the president has since corrected his tweets).

If you look at the things Trump does in total isolation, it doesn't matter, but when you look at it in the context of all the other stupid things he does it starts to form a pattern.

Twitter was supposed to be the thing this President was good at...

But he's so eager to attack that he targeted the wrong person.

Not the actions of a calm and composed man.

The fact that he can be triggered into a twitter rant is the biggest concern.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 7:10am

SadKangaroo wrote on Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:17am:

If you look at the things Trump does in total isolation, it doesn't matter, but when you look at it in the context of all the other stupid things he does it starts to form a pattern.

"A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons."

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 9:58am

What's more, if you click on the link in the OP, you can see they rambling, grandiose tweets he sent her ... well, some of them .. and there is simply no alternative but to question his mental health.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:08am

mothra wrote on Jun 28th, 2019 at 9:58am:

What's more, if you click on the link in the OP, you can see they rambling, grandiose tweets he sent her ... well, some of them .. and there is simply no alternative but to question his mental health.

Indeed.

"Since the start of Donald Trump’s presidential run, one question has quietly but urgently permeated the observations of concerned citizens: What is wrong with him? Constrained by the American Psychiatric Association’s “Goldwater rule,” which inhibits mental health professionals from diagnosing public figures they have not personally examined, many of those qualified to answer this question have shied away from discussing the issue at all. The public has thus been left to wonder whether he is mad, bad, or both.

"In THE DANGEROUS CASE OF DONALD TRUMP, twenty-seven psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health experts argue that, in Mr. Trump’s case, their moral and civic “duty to warn” America supersedes professional neutrality. They then explore Trump’s symptoms and potentially relevant diagnoses to find a complex, if also dangerously mad, man."

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 5:48pm

HOW NOT TO BE DISHONEST

I happened to be in Paris when the final of the women’s World Cup (soccer) was played. Our little local restaurant, owned and run by Berbers, had a screen that relayed it, more or less inescapably, to the customers.

I am afraid that I was prey to very uncharitable and incorrect thoughts. The players were very good—for women. The problem is that women are not very good at this kind of thing, certainly not by comparison with men. If you want to watch soccer played well (I personally have a limited appetite for it), you should watch men.

When I uttered what seemed to me a truism, that women will never be as good at soccer as men, the reaction was horror that such a heresy—no, blasphemy—should be pronounced out loud, though of course everyone knew that it was true (which is why it was a truism).

We are now required to go through all kinds of mental contortions if we are to have “correct” thoughts. We are not supposed to say that women cannot play football as well as men, and yet we are supposed at the same time to find an all-women’s competition perfectly legitimate. Now, if women could play football as well as men, there would be no reason to have all-women’s teams and competitions. Women would have to compete on precisely the same terms as men, but we know that this would be absurd. If mixed teams were chosen purely on merit, there would not be a single female on them.

Among all the effervescence over women’s football, I noticed several demands that women footballers should be paid as much as their male counterparts, on the grounds of equal pay for equal work.

This, however, is absurd; it is like demanding that a wonderful singer be paid as much as a bad one. It might well be that the bad singer works as hard as the wonderful one, indeed he might even work harder, but no one would pay as much to hear the bad one all the same. Women footballers should be paid the same as men when crowds are willing to pay as much to watch them, which I suspect will be never, though anything is possible in this very strange world.

Incidentally, it is astonishing that the labor theory of value, according to which the value of a good or service is determined by the amount of socially necessary labor required to produce it, and which so many ontological malcontents of various stripes have adopted to justify their schemes for universal improvement in the economic fate of mankind, could ever have survived the most elementary of considerations such as that the same amount of labor can go into producing the valueless as the most exquisitely valuable.

No doubt women footballers train as hard as men, but the universe is not fair: However hard they work, they will not be as good as men, and it is probable (though not absolutely certain) that their efforts will never be as valuable as men’s on a supply-and-demand basis. It is curious that I was in the company of some people I esteem in which I felt it would be a social faux pas to say these obvious things, a faux pas not because they were so obvious, but because they were heretical or even blasphemous. I value absence of conflict over the dinner table.

There is a law of the conservation of blasphemy: If it is not against God, you can always blaspheme against secular pieties.

https://www.takimag.com/article/i-get-no-kick-from-womens-soccer/

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 8:51pm

The entire Rapinoe affair has been a disaster for Trump. Now his mouthpieces are claiming this athlete's only claim to fame is that she is an outspoken lesbian and not a good athlete at all ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:09pm

I enjoy watching Womens Football, Soren.  The women are actually generally more skilled than their male counterparts - they actually get on and play the game rather than be "floppers" who fall over whenever an opponent challenges them for the ball.  The Australian team is generally an excellent role model for Australian women.    Cool

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:10pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:09pm:
I enjoy watching Womens Football, Soren.  The women are actually generally more skilled than their male counterparts - they actually get on and play the game rather than be "floppers" who fall over whenever an opponent challenges them for the ball.  The Australian team is generally an excellent role model for Australian women.    Cool

more skilled? Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:36pm

If they are so good why have separate teams for men and women, knob?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:54pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:10pm:

More skilled at the game, Hammer.  Much more skilled.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:57pm

Frank wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:36pm:

If they are so good why have separate teams for men and women, knob?

As the managers, Soren.   I know the American Womens and Mens teams train together, something I believe would do the Australian mens team a world of good.   Same with Cricket.  Women Cricketers tend to be much more skilled than their male counterparts.   Perhaps 'cause they get into the team on the basis of their skills, not on the basis of how much beer they can drink?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:57pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 6:54pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:10pm:

More skilled at the game, Hammer.  Much more skilled.   Roll Eyes

Ever play soccer? Goal kickers can spot kick a ball over 70 metres on the fly. Can women do that? You are so full of crap brian.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print