Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Makita Tools
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 10:37am

Quote:
.............. Lately there has been a lot of talk in the power tool world about brushless motors. While the technology isn't new to tools, it has recently gained traction due to some high-profile releases by Makita, Milwaukee, DeWalt, and others.

"Brushless motors have been around since the 1960s, being used in industrial and manufacturing applications for [motors that drive] conveyor belts," says Christian Coulis, cordless product manager for Milwaukee Tools. However,
Makita was the first company to use them in power tools.
"[It was] first in our assembly division in 2003 for the defense and aerospace industries," says Wayne Hart, Makita's communications manager, "and then again in 2009 when we released a brushless three-speed impact driver.".......            .............

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/a8109/whats-so-great-about-brushless...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 10:42am

This is my new drill.
Bought it as present for me, from me.
For all my hard work.

Quote:
............ Makita-built 4-pole motor delivers 750 in.lbs. of Max Torque, 25% more than the previous model LXFD01
Mechanical 2-speed transmission (0-400 & 0-2,000 RPM) for a wide range of drilling and fastening applications
Extreme Protection Technology (XPT™) engineered for improved dust and water resistance for operation in harsh job site conditions
All metal gears and aluminum gear housing for maximum job site durability
Shift-Lock™ Drive System quickly shifts between modes
Dual L.E.D. lights with afterglow enhanced illumination of work area
Ergonomic shape fits like a glove with even pressure
Rubberized soft grip handle provides increased comfort on the job
All metal ratcheting chuck engineered to prevent bit slippage and improves bit retention
21 clutch setting for optimal fastening torque control            ..........

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 11:06am

Sigh

Quote:
The Top Ten Reviews Gold Award for Cordless drills goes to the Makita XFD10R for several reasons.
Chief among them is the fact that it scored the highest in our user experience survey
It has a very good battery life and recharges in just half an hour.
And the ergonomically designed soft rubber grip is comfortable in your hand.
It offers 21 clutch settings so you can adjust the drill to fit your task.
It’s also lightweight, durable and versatile.
It’s equipped with dual LED lights so you can use the drill even when the lighting isn’t perfect.

When you buy this drill, it comes with an additional battery, charger and carrying case. There’s very little to complain about with this tool.

To evaluate the best cordless drills available, we gathered a team of more than a dozen expert reviewers to put each tool through its paces. They then judged the drills based on their balance, handling, power, weight and grip. When the reviewer survey was complete, the Makita XFD10R had the highest overall score, receiving an A+ grade for user experience. Comments from our reviewers included “Really light and balanced,” “Real comfortable to hold, great power” and “Best for small hands, good balance between power and size.”

We also performed a battery test for each of the drills. The test consisted of attaching a fully charged battery, taping the trigger down and timing how long it took for the power to completely drain. The average time it took for the drills to die was 39 minutes. Makita beat this time by a good margin – 47 minutes. This is good, but the longest lasting battery (on the Milwaukee 2703-22) went for over an hour before giving out.

It only takes 30 minutes to recharge the battery – the quickest charge time we encountered. And since you get an extra battery, you should never run out of power if you keep one of them on the charger.

This cordless drill has a maximum turning speed of 1,900 RPM, which is the second highest among the tools we considered. But it lacks a bit in the maximum amount of torque it can produce: 480 inch-pounds. This is about the average among the drills we reviewed. It’s enough to get most jobs done, but two other drills we evaluated provide up to 650 inch-pounds of torque.

At 3.3 pounds, this is one of the lightest drills you can buy. It also has a soft rubber grip and an ergonomic handle. This combination makes it a very comfortable tool to hold, and you won’t wear out your hand if you use it for an extended period.

The drill also has 21 clutch settings, which are perhaps the most misunderstood settings on cordless drills. The clutch is designed to disengage the drill from the drive train (in other words, to stop drilling) when it meets a certain level of resistance. This enables you to fasten two objects together without bottoming out or stripping the screw. The benefit of having 21 clutch settings gives you precise control over how deep you insert a screw.

The dual LED lights on this cordless drill allows you to see what you’re doing clearly, even in darkened environments.

The Makita XFD10R comes with a hard case that holds the tool, batteries and charger, making it portable and easy to store. The case also protects the tool from damage during transport to a jobsite.

The attached belt lop allows you to quickly stow the tool so both of your hands can be free to do other things. It’s especially convenient when you move up and down ladders or from one part of the job site to another. It’s a commonly found feature, but not all drills have it.

This drill comes with a battery meter to let you know how much juice you have in real time. Running out of power half way through drilling a hole risks damaging both the tool and the bit.

It lacks on-tool bit storage; most of the other drills we reviewed at least have a spot where you can store a screwdriver bit so you can drive in a quick screw without having to search for the bit you need.

Despite being an overall great drill, it has a remarkably short warranty period. Makita offers a one-year warranty on the drill itself, and a three-year period for the batteries. The tool warranty is the shortest of all the cordless drills we evaluated. Other drills we tested went up to five years, and one even has a lifetime warranty.

In our evaluation of the best cordless drills, the Makita XFD10R is our top pick. This is mainly due to the excellent reception it received among our team of expert reviewers as they used the drill. It also has good battery life, quick recharge time, dual LED work lights and more. Nearly everyone should be happy with this versatile tool.

https://www.toptenreviews.com/cordless-drills-makita-cordless-drill-review

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 7:59pm

?

images__15__003.jpeg (10 KB | 11 )
images__15__003.jpeg

IBI

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 8:23am

I have a brace and bit
A hand plane
Sand paper
Wood chisel
And the ability to use them.

Electric tools are for wusses

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 8:41am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 9:55am:
For all things Makita, try Makita.

I like DeWalt:
https://sydneytools.com.au/product/dewalt-dcz1396t2p2xe-18v54v-60ah50ah-xr-liion...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 5:49pm

I use other people's tools.
Works much better for me.

The best tools I've seen are Warwick Capper and Shane Warne.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:06pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 8:23am:
I have a brace and bit
A hand plane
Sand paper
Wood chisel
And the ability to use them.

Electric tools are for wusses

I am a wuss

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:53pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 5:49pm:
I use other people's tools.
Works much better for me.

The best tools I've seen are Warwick Capper and Shane Warne.

Isn't it good not having Greg around to pounce on things like this?

IBI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print