Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Male Genital Mutilation (Read 1152 times)
PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Male Genital Mutilation
Jun 19th, 2019 at 8:04pm

Quote:
Boys grit their teeth through 'Circumcision Season' in the Philippines when thousands of pre-teens undergo painful 20-minute procedure in centuries-old rite of passage

'Circumcision season' in Philippines lasts from April to May and sees thousands of boys have the procedure

Most are given local anaesthetic but the sensation can still be intense, leaving many of them wincing in pain

Philippines has one of the highest rates of circumcision in the world - up to 90 per cent according to the WHO
Tradition can be traced back to arrival of Islam in 1450 and is considered an integral part of becoming a man

A row of boys lying on newsprint-covered tables howl in pain and grit their teeth as part of 'circumcision season' in the Philippines, when thousands of youngsters suffer through the procedure en masse.

The removal of foreskins is a centuries-old rite of passage to adulthood in the country, which has one of the highest rates of male circumcision in the world.

Yet even as circumcision comes under increasing scrutiny around the world, with critics branding it 'child abuse', it is rarely questioned in the Philippines and boys face tremendous pressure to undergo the procedure.

Every year, thousands of pre-teens from poor families go through the operation for free at government or community-sponsored clinics.

'I was shouting the whole time because it hurt so bad,' Vladimir Vincent Arbon told AFP after his 20-minute ordeal.

'My mum told me that I need to get circumcised so I would grow taller and become a real man,' the 11-year-old added, expressing the pressure many youths face.

He was among 1,500 boys who underwent the procedure in one city near Manila, but the scenes are similar in clinics nationwide.

'To get circumcised is probably the essence of being a man... for boys, circumcision is necessary to be called a man,' Joana Nobleza told AFP after her 11-year-old son Carlos underwent the operation

more at link LINK

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Male Genital Mutilation
Reply #1 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 8:20pm

Quote:
Around 90 percent of males are circumcised for non-religious reasons in the Philippines, according to World Health Organization data.

The roots of circumcision in the Philippines can be traced back to the arrival of Islam in 1450, according to anthropologist Nestor Castro.
However even after the nation became majority-Christian under 300 years of Spanish colonial rule, the practice persisted as a cultural rite.

Male circumcision tends to be more common in nations with significant Muslim or Jewish populations, and less so in Catholic majority places.

In the past decade the procedure has become increasingly controversial as the anti-circumcision movement has grown worldwide.

Critics consider it medically unnecessary and, as the majority of procedures are conducted in infancy, a violation of children's rights as they are unable to give informed consent.

While male circumcision used to be popular in many parts of the world - especially those with large Muslim or Jewish populations - it has since declined, with many professionals now querying whether it is necessary

more at LINK

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 9:00pm

Our tribal/traditional Aboriginal communities still do their pre-teen boys as well.

I had mine done as an infant ...remember nothing and am glad it was done.

It is far more serious having it done from pre-teen or teenager or adult if medical circumstances require it.

My nephew had to have it done when about 15 or 16 because the prepuce was too tight/small and hygiene became one issue.... the condition is known as Phemosis.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:00pm

if it has no medical reason then it is a NO NO....

when these things first started I can believe it was for health reasons.. but those days are long over...

I dont believe its any one else job or business to interfere with any childs body in any shape or form..

and that goes for those neck rings that some tribes still go for.... CHinese women stopped wrapping their feets a 100 years ago...

give it away...   if boys/men feel they need this done later then they can at least have an anaesthetic .

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:03pm

Wonder if it's true that Aussie soldiers (and maybe other nationalities too) were mandatorily circumcised?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:16pm

Yeah well I've asked a few Veterans that assured me that they were glad they'd been done when they went to Vietnam.....

A week or more on patrol in the same gear ...laying up in ambush positions.... one said was very ordinary verging on horrendous as far as hygiene goes..... imagine women doing that?  Shocked

He also told me he was taken out of the field after being bitten on the kerp by a scorpion that had crawled into his strides.

It was a take away the pain but leave the swelling occurrence.🤣

Imagine trying to skin that back to take a slash if you weren't done? 😱

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #6 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 5:43am

When my so was born, the doctors refused to do it.

Later, when he was just 6, he started getting infections.
We taught him how to was it, but that wast the problem apparently.
At 7, we had him circumcised, all of his problems went away.

It's not the same as FGM.
It's not designed to destroy the sexual pleasure of men, like FGM is.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 9:48am

I was "done" as a baby. It was pretty common back in the 1950's. Maybe it was a hang-over from the war? Hygiene being an issue back then?

My son wasn't chopped though. (1980's)

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:35am

Our gyno was strongly opposed to circumcision which worked out well as it turned out, because so was I

and my opposition was strengthened when I was walking down the corridor towards the newborns' nursery and heard heartbreaking screams.  As I continued further, alarmed by the sound of a child screaming its head off, I glanced to the side where there was a glass panel.  And saw a gaggle of nurses and doctors 'doing something' to a tiny infant

just then a nurse passed and I stopped her and asked what they were doing to the child

she replied it was a circumcision

I asked if the infant had been anaesthetised.  She said no, it had not, adding, 'It will forget about it by the time it grows up' or words to that effect and said the infant was too young to be anaesthetised.  None of the babies who underwent circumcision were administered anaesthetic, she said, too dangerous, not necessary

Sad to admit, I killed the messenger and exploded because it was ghastly to hear and see that poor little infant, only a few days old, held down by nurses while grown men in masks cut into its tender body

Do you mean you or any of those in there (pointing to the glass fronted cubicle) wouldn't feel it if I took a scalpel to you?  It's barbaric !  And how do you or anyone else know it won't remember it?  You don't know.  You just parrot what others have said to you.  That child will retain in its memory being attacked, held down, slashed and hurt, pain inflicted by huge monsters.  It will not be in its conscious memory, maybe -- but it will remain in its subconscious for the rest of its life.  And I challenge you to assure me that those memories won't impact on that child's thoughts and actions forever'  -- or words to that effect

I still believe that circumcision is a ghastly, barbaric ritual despite those conducting the ritual don't realise that's what they're doing

whether or not my son wishes he'd been circumcised, I don't know.  Most people are sheep and do what is fashionable, what is done by those they know, including circumcision

and circumcised diks look neater, no doubt

It's said Nothing is Wasted in Nature.  If that's true, there's a reason for the foreskin

Medical science no longer slashes out people's tonsils or adenoids or ovaries or breasts the way they did until quite recently, so the old slash and burn attitudes are being tempered

and finally, don't know if it was in this or another online forum, but many women commented in order to say that making love with an uncircumcised man is much 'smoother', 'better' -- something they hadn't known until they'd left a relationship with a circumcised man and commenced one with an intact male

I just don't get the worldwide obsession with mutilating genitals

is it because people feel sex is 'wrong' and to appease something/someone, they must maim the sex organs and inflict that suffering on children?

what's behind it?  It's more than mere fashion or claims of 'hygiene, the latter seemingly a justification contrived relatively recently

anyone would think penisis were foul, stinky, smegma laden items of filth.  And as to soldiers in the tropics -- if they have canteens of water to drink, it's not a big deal to pull back the foreskin and splash or even spit a bit of water on the penis then a quick wipe.  Not as if there are gallons of discharge filling up the foreskin

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 12:58pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 19th, 2019 at 8:20pm:
Quote:
Around 90 percent of males are circumcised for non-religious reasons in the Philippines, according to World Health Organization data.

The roots of circumcision in the Philippines can be traced back to the arrival of Islam in 1450, according to anthropologist Nestor Castro.
However even after the nation became majority-Christian under 300 years of Spanish colonial rule, the practice persisted as a cultural rite.

Male circumcision tends to be more common in nations with significant Muslim or Jewish populations, and less so in Catholic majority places.

In the past decade the procedure has become increasingly controversial as the anti-circumcision movement has grown worldwide.

Critics consider it medically unnecessary and, as the majority of procedures are conducted in infancy, a violation of children's rights as they are unable to give informed consent.

While male circumcision used to be popular in many parts of the world - especially those with large Muslim or Jewish populations - it has since declined, with many professionals now querying whether it is necessary

more at LINK

I blame Islam.

But that's just me.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:17pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:35am:
Our gyno was strongly opposed to circumcision which worked out well as it turned out, because so was I

and my opposition was strengthened when I was walking down the corridor towards the newborns' nursery and heard heartbreaking screams.  As I continued further, alarmed by the sound of a child screaming its head off, I glanced to the side where there was a glass panel.  And saw a gaggle of nurses and doctors 'doing something' to a tiny infant

just then a nurse passed and I stopped her and asked what they were doing to the child

I asked if the infant had been anaesthetised.  She said no, it had not, adding, 'It will forget about it by the time it grows up' or words to that effect and said the infant was too young to be anaesthetised.  None of the babies who underwent circumcision were administered anaesthetic, she said, too dangerous, not necessary

Sad to admit, I killed the messenger and exploded because it was ghastly to hear and see that poor little infant, only a few days old, held down by nurses while grown men in masks cut into its tender body

Do you mean you or any of those in there (pointing to the glass fronted cubicle) wouldn't feel it if I took a scalpel to you?  It's barbaric !  And how do you or anyone else know it won't remember it?  You don't know.  You just parrot what others have said to you.  That child will retain in its memory being attacked, held down, slashed and hurt, pain inflicted by huge monsters.  It will not be in its conscious memory, maybe -- but it will remain in its subconscious for the rest of its life.  And I challenge you to assure me that those memories won't impact on that child's thoughts and actions forever'  -- or words to that effect

I still believe that circumcision is a ghastly, barbaric ritual despite those conducting the ritual don't realise that's what they're doing

whether or not my son wishes he'd been circumcised, I don't know.  Most people are sheep and do what is fashionable, what is done by those they know, including circumcision

It's said Nothing is Wasted in Nature.  If that's true, there's a reason for the foreskin

Medical science no longer slashes out people's tonsils or adenoids or ovaries or breasts the way they did until quite recently, so the old slash and burn attitudes are being tempered

and finally, don't know if it was in this or another online forum, but many women commented in order to say that making love with an uncircumcised man is much 'smoother', 'better' -- something they hadn't known until they'd left a relationship with a circumcised man and commenced one with an intact male

is it because people feel sex is 'wrong' and to appease something/someone, they must maim the sex organs and inflict that suffering on children?

what's behind it?  It's more than mere fashion or claims of 'hygiene, the latter seemingly a justification contrived relatively recently

anyone would think penisis were foul, stinky, smegma laden items of filth.  And as to soldiers in the tropics -- if they have canteens of water to drink, it's not a big deal to pull back the foreskin and splash or even spit a bit of water on the penis then a quick wipe.  Not as if there are gallons of discharge filling up the foreskin

Depending on what's trending or flavour of the month there are still unnecessary surgeries being done.

Appendectomies had a go after tonsils and adenoids.

Certain orthopedic procedures as well.

But back to the OP ... when son was born our GP refused to do it because he said it was a barbaric procedure.

My son is now 38.... and for the last 20 years the GP who refused to do him has been the "go to man" for circumcisions in my city.

Wonder what changed his perspective ey?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:27pm

Gnads wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:17pm:

Depending on what's trending or flavour of the month there are still unnecessary surgeries being done.

But back to the OP ... when son was born our GP refused to do it because he said it was a barbaric procedure.

My son is now 38.... and for the last 20 years the GP who refused to do him has been the "go to man" for circumcisions in my city.

Careful with that word Gonads.  Next, people will add a 'creepy' layer.  They will insinuate the Doc is a kiddy fiddler.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:32pm

Yeah? You reckon Doc used to keep the foreskins as rubber bands?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:37pm

Gnads wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:32pm:
Yeah? You reckon Doc used to keep the foreskins as rubber bands?

I have no idea Gonads.  Some people here get very excited if you 'wonder' about these genital issues.  You'll have to ask them.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:46pm

Gnads wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 10:17pm:

Did he convert to Islam?

Typical.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print