Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Time for Bradfield's scheme? (Read 10062 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Time for Bradfield's scheme?
Reply #165 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 7:47pm

Which rivers do you think should be widened?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #166 - Jul 13th, 2019 at 9:57pm

freediver wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 7:47pm:

Not really a matter of widening rivers in many areas. Just perhaps a redirecting of river flow. A few years back, a bloke called Dominic Doblo proposed that we have a weir upstream to be used to capture flood water, and used as an extra water storage. We can redivert the river systems to have them channeled to areas where the people want this flood water to go.

Perhaps I have been reading up too much on historical events where generals redirected the Euphrates River so that they could enter a citadel through a new entrance and take over the city. Or maybe the story has a lot more merit that we can use in modern tactics to alleviate unnecessary flood problems.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #167 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 8:02am

People generally want the water in the rivers. That's where the more fertile floodplains are that we grow stuff on.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:37pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 2:14pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 8:12am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 9:16pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 12th, 2019 at 6:37pm:
Yeah I'll concede .... you are a complete dickhead.

From here on, that will make us enemies. And you will lament that. On second thought, you might enjoy the peace and quiet.

After your bs effort here

DILLIGAF

How old are you?

A darned sight older than you & might I add a tad more sensible.

I've read a few more of your posts with FD & you continue to make implausible/ nigh on ridiculous suggestions.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #169 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:43pm

Quote:
The love of field and coppice
Of green and shaded lanes,
Of ordered woods and gardens
Is running in your veins.
Strong love of grey-blue distance,
Brown streams and soft, dim skies
I know, but cannot share it,
My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

The stark white ring-barked forests,
All tragic to the moon,
The sapphire-misted mountains,
The hot gold hush of noon,
Green tangle of the brushes
Where lithe lianas coil,
And orchids deck the tree-tops,
And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!
Her pitiless blue sky,
When, sick at heart, around us
We see the cattle die
But then the grey clouds gather,
And we can bless again
The drumming of an army,
The steady soaking rain.

Core of my heart, my country!
Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back threefold.
Over the thirsty paddocks,
Watch, after many days,
The filmy veil of greenness
That thickens as we gaze ...

An opal-hearted country,
A wilful, lavish land
All you who have not loved her,
You will not understand
though Earth holds many splendours,
Wherever I may die,
I know to what brown country
My homing thoughts will fly.

Dorothea Mackeller

Rocky I'd bet my left one you've never heard of this poem or it's author.  Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #170 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:45pm

He wants to widen rivers that when in flood are all joined together as one many kilometres wide.  Grin

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #171 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:40pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:37pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 13th, 2019 at 2:14pm:
How old are you?

A darned sight older than you & might I add a tad more sensible.

I've read a few more of your posts with FD & you continue to make implausible/ nigh on ridiculous suggestions.

That does not answer my question. And you are posting an opinion on where you stand on credibility. Just an age range: 40 to 50? 50 to 60?

I guess spending billions on fixing problems that trouble us occasionally is less important than you quoting poetry. The trillions we might make over the next 50 years from flood and drought mitigation in rural regions is worth the effort.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #172 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:50pm

freediver wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 8:02am:
People generally want the water in the rivers. That's where the more fertile floodplains are that we grow stuff on.

We don't have fertile soils such as in the Ukraine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernozem
up to 1 meter thick of rich black soil -

except a small patch in a town in NSW called Nimmitabel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimmitabel

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #173 - Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:57pm

Gnads wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:45pm:

He wants to widen rivers that when in flood are all joined together as one many kilometres wide.  Grin

What kind of sociopath are you? You don't want cattle and other livestock to drown during these floods? When slow flowing creeks flood, they usually don't make much movement downstream and fill to the point of overflowing. This area does not just become one big river system. It is one large flood plain. One in which the slow soaking of the water into the land is not enough to dissipate the flood water enough to prevent livestock from drowning. If we have man-made river systems running off or large piping from river systems to channel floodwater into new dams around nearby townships, it would be one way to control flooding.

Otherwise, there would need to be some kind of levee barrier put upstream to control the spillage of water at critical points near where farms, etc., do not want flooding. Downstream, the flooding flow back to the areas should be very mitigated. And I mean that the bulldozing could lift up embankments to create natural barriers as a first point of blocking flood water. But, there needs to be care not to upset the trees in the area that act to keep the erosion near streams from happening.

Keep talking like you have never experienced flood or drought problems. State governments are in the act of mitigating environmental concerns. 500,000 dead cattle this year have shown that your attitudes have no merit.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #174 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 12:57pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:57pm:
Gnads wrote on Jul 14th, 2019 at 12:45pm:

What kind of sociopath are you? You don't want cattle and other livestock to drown during these floods? When slow flowing creeks flood, they usually don't make much movement downstream and fill to the point of overflowing. This area does not just become one big river system. It is one large flood plain. One in which the slow soaking of the water into the land is not enough to dissipate the flood water enough to prevent livestock from drowning. If we have man-made river systems running off or large piping from river systems to channel floodwater into new dams around nearby townships, it would be one way to control flooding.

Otherwise, there would need to be some kind of levee barrier put upstream to control the spillage of water at critical points near where farms, etc., do not want flooding. Downstream, the flooding flow back to the areas should be very mitigated. And I mean that the bulldozing could lift up embankments to create natural barriers as a first point of blocking flood water. But, there needs to be care not to upset the trees in the area that act to keep the erosion near streams from happening.

Keep talking like you have never experienced flood or drought problems. State governments are in the act of mitigating environmental concerns. 500,000 dead cattle this year have shown that your attitudes have no merit.

Completely irrelevant.

My attitude is that the droughts & flooding rains are all part & parcel of the choices people make.

The reason that there were 500,000 cattle lost was because of the expansion of the industry & the efficiencies bought in by the farmers in those regions the expand their stock numbers and it's also been driven by export beef prices & the live cattle export trade.

Bottom line is you have no idea of my attitude towards the grazing industry ... just bs assumptions .... along with all you stupid ideas about interfering with outback river systems with ridiculous pie in the sky ideas.

I don't think farrking up the environment by digging dams & blocking off inland river systems holus bolus is any less a desirous outcome than the madness of horizontal fracking for Oil & CSG  out in those remote areas let alone on our prime agricultural lands.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #175 - Jul 15th, 2019 at 11:17pm

I doubt it takes less than 3 years to have a build up of millions of cattle in an area that floods and kills off many. And I doubt that we have seen flooding like this in the recent past. It might not seem financially important to do something to address the rare flooding events in the region. But, I think the region would be better off holding flood water for better usage, rather than see it flow out to sea, or into the Lake Eyre region.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print