Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Time for Bradfield's scheme? (Read 10058 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Time for Bradfield's scheme?
Reply #15 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:11pm

Captain Caveman wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 5:46pm:
When I was in WA east of headland working underground I could not believe the amount of water approx 150m below the surface. Surely that could also be harvested. The mine just pumped it to settlement ponds.

I think evaporation would kill this idea. Most people don't realise how bloody hot it is out there.

mate we can put a man on the moon....

no one wants to take on the Greenies and people like them.....every bloody thing is a fight in this country....

and they seem to win more often that not..

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:12pm

Quote:
we have never had so much money...

Rubbish.  We have never had so much debt.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:17pm

Aussie wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:12pm:
Quote:

and what do you think they used in the 1920s to build the bridge?????????????/...

the debt doesnt stop the waste...

how about you ask your mate Palmer where he got so much money from to buy NOTHING..

maybe if he repaid his debts.....the govt could make a start. Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:28pm

cods wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:17pm:
Aussie wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:12pm:
Quote:

and what do you think they used in the 1920s to build the bridge?????????????/...

the debt doesnt stop the waste...

how about you ask your mate Palmer where he got so much money from to buy NOTHING..

maybe if he repaid his debts.....the govt could make a start. Angry Angry Angry

Clive himself owes the Govt SFA.  A Company of which he is sole shareholder owes the Govt $M70.  Yes.....if that were paid, Australia could really lash out cods, no doubt about it.

You tell me how the Bridge and the Snowy were funded cods.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:20pm

Why don't we just use the extensive system of canals and aqueducts the Aboriginals built in the 60000 years prior to European colonination?  Wink

IBI

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:25pm

they should put the water that falls up north into giant bladders and tow them down south to the drier regions so those regions can be more extensively farmed

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 11:53pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 1:12pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 12:43pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 12:32pm:
I would like to see all the wasted water
from the tropical Northern Territory
sent south.

As someone in the ABC fact-check article explains, it is far cheaper and more practical to simply de-salinate sea water, if water security for our major population centres is the issue.

The Bradfield scheme is far more ambitious though. It seeks to alter the entire climate, and in turn transform the landscape of Australia by making the inland lakes permanently full, and increasing rainfall. Kinda like the environmental version of human eugenics - and just as loony.

As loony as letting dozens of Sydney harbour
amounts of water wash out to sea when
we live in the driest continent on earth?

So you'd starve our short northern rivers and wet tropics of water for a "pipe dream"(pun intended) of turning our dry interior and lakes into a wet interior?  Grin

You do realise that rivers running to the ocean also help the coastal ecology and the life cycles of our marines species and subsequently our fisheries?

Why don't you think it out instead of rushing in with support for the Bradfield scheme bullshyte?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 4:20am

Gnads wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 11:53pm:
sent south.

As someone in the ABC fact-check article explains, it is far cheaper and more practical to simply de-salinate sea water, if water security for our major population centres is the issue.

The Bradfield scheme is far more ambitious though. It seeks to alter the entire climate, and in turn transform the landscape of Australia by making the inland lakes permanently full, and increasing rainfall. Kinda like the environmental version of human eugenics - and just as loony.

So you'd starve our short northern rivers and wet tropics of water for a "pipe dream"(pun intended) of turning our dry interior and lakes into a wet interior?  Grin

You do realise that rivers running to the ocean also help the coastal ecology and the life cycles of our marines species and subsequently our fisheries?

Why don't you think it out instead of rushing in with support for the Bradfield scheme bullshyte?

In the Northern territory -
that water is just storm water and is wasted by
going out to sea & mixing with salt water.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 10:07am

Bobby. wrote on Jun 19th, 2019 at 4:20am:
sent south.

It's not wasted ... it happens for a purpose.

That's why Arnhem Land & its wetlands are unique.

That's how & why that ecological system is so diverse in what it naturally supports .....

and you want to drain it into the desert.  Roll Eyes

Like I said you don't think it out ... ignorance is bliss.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:02am

Gnads wrote on Jun 19th, 2019 at 10:07am:
sent south.

That's how & why that ecological system is so diverse in what it naturally supports .....

Obviously I don't mean to drain the wetlands.
I'm talking about wasted fresh water that
goes out to sea.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #25 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:15am

The GAIA Mk II - one of the major issues for water is when it reaches the lower levels, around Lake Eyre
(before they change the name to suit ten Aboriginals - insult to the bruvvas, that name!)
has a huge quantity of salt underground, and thus salinity would (gasps) rise to prominence in any discussion.

Without open access to the sea and constant tidal renewal, the Eyre Inland Sea would become a new Dead Sea, and the yellow and red tailed frog-jumper
(or whatever it is the conservationist extremists claim)
would become extinct due to crashing into the salt covered surface
(not to mention the Crested Gullywhumper once thought extinct but newly re-discovered in the Lake Eyre Basin)

As it is, a hell of a lot of water flows inland during The Wet and is absorbed by the 'lend' (bro) or is evaporated... so my view is an opening to the sea AND water diversion
(wonder how many bodies in barrels they'll dig up in SA?)

Many will project disaster - I say those are pure guesswork.... and the results will probably be fabulous.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:18am

Gordon wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:20pm:
Why don't we just use the extensive system of canals and aqueducts the Aboriginals built in the 60000 years prior to European colonination?  Wink

Why didn't I think of that?  Remember that Whartey smashed the levees and filled the canals so the Aboriginal farmers would all be dispossessed and would die off....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:21am

sent south.

Feasting grounds for crocociles?  You know what they call German tourists in buses - Meals On Wheels... miles of mud flats into the Gulf.... no waterfront idyll in a two or three storey mansion... what's going to change that ecological system?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 12:22pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 19th, 2019 at 11:02am:
sent south.

Obviously I don't mean to drain the wetlands.
I'm talking about wasted fresh water that
goes out to sea.

Bobby....Gnads is saying that the water you speak of carries vital nutrients out to sea. Those nutrients are required to make what is our oceans. Reef, micro organisms etc all rely on run off.

Gnads is spot on here.....IMO.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #29 - Jun 19th, 2019 at 12:34pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print