Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Time for Bradfield's scheme? (Read 10071 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Time for Bradfield's scheme?
Reply #135 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 1:07am

Read a book on the Murray-Darling system once - the problems start at the headwaters... in the Snowies region it's pine plantations... we all know about the over-use of the water from the Darling ... and its use for water-intensive crops like cotton...

Typical stupid government decisions to allow it in the first place... it's not as if we're getting Australian cotton shirts and sheets from Sri Lanka  etc..... I LOVE my cotton shirts.... (double button-down pockets, long sleeves)... and plastic sheets are... slippery to sleep on...

If you want to get practical clothing, get some military gear - try not to look like a wanker in camo, though...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 12:02pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 3:39pm:
freediver wrote on Jul 7th, 2019 at 9:41am:
Good point on the Murray. All over Australia there are dry creek beds that turn to mud and slop after rain where there used to be permanent surface water or flowing clear water, full of fish and life. We have decimated the Murray. We need to use less for irrigation, less in particular for low value irrigation like cotton in western southern inland QLD, and get in flowing again.

"Western southern inland Qld" needs water the most. And you are not going to prevent their industry just to have the Murray flowing. Did Victoria not get enough rain over the winter?

Truly your ignorance in this matter is astounding.

I suggest that tonight at 8.30 pm you take an hour out of your time to watch 4Corners see who/what is exactly the cause of all the problems on the Murray Darling and why the Murray Darling Basin Plan has failed and it has been poorly & corruptly administered by the Murray Darling Basin Authority.

Human interference in this system has been a complete failure, a monumental waste of tax payers money & a rip off by Corporate/Big Business Agriculture.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #137 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 3:03pm

Yes, Gnads. I will watch 4Corners about the subject. In fact, you have motivated me to research this subject to find out how right or wrong I have been.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #138 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 3:45pm

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #139 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 3:51pm

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 5:10pm

Your videos about the flooding in western QLD don't add any creedence to the points you have been trying to make as to why govts should be further interfering in mother nature and how rare weather events make the rivers run out there.

It has been part & parcel of western regional living since the first pioneers selected & settled out there .....

and thousands of years before that for Aboriginal inhabitants.

There are some things we need to leave alone & not interfere with for the sake of development.

The Murray/Darling Basin is a prime example.

It's bad enough the companies like Santos have been allowed out there with unconventional mining(horizontal)fracking for oil & gas.

Just recently the Strezlecki Track was shut because of a leak on a gas pipline.

That shyte shouldn't be happening out there either.

Nothing will happen until it's too late and the Great Artesian Basin is contaminated from this activity.
https://www.energynewsbulletin.net/maintenance-shutdowns/news/1366649/santos-pip...

https://www.bigrigs.com.au/news/trucks-tourists-stranded-huge-part-strzelecki-cl...

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:33pm

I hope you watched 4Corners and learnt something Rocky?

Do you really want that sort of thing to happen to the Lake Eyre Basin River systems?

It's absolute madness ..... and after watching that segment you should be screaming blue murder about the waste of taxpayer money being leached by big agri -business, a lot of which is foreign
so they can take even more water out of our fragile & in distress Murray Darling system.

I hope you can see the futility of & what could eventuate from what you have been suggesting since you started to comment on this Bradfield Scheme nonsense?
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2019 at 9:47pm by Gnads »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #142 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:25pm

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #143 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:33pm

Seems to me that the river systems that flow into the Murray Darling are having issues with expanding towns dotted along the rivers taking up water, too. Not just agriculture.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #144 - Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:33pm

This video is posted for my information to watch later.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:05am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 8th, 2019 at 10:33pm:
Seems to me that the river systems that flow into the Murray Darling are having issues with expanding towns dotted along the rivers taking up water, too. Not just agriculture.

Grin Grin They're expanding because of the agricultural expansion ... good grief  Roll Eyes

it's certainly not heavy manufacturing industry.

The bottom line is water .... the Murray Darling Basin Scheme is supposed to be about water efficiencies & returning water to the river systems for environmental issues ...

all it has done has subsidised with taxpayer funds big Agri-business to efficiently expand cropping country and use more water overall not less.

As well as expanding cropping(grain & cotton) grown that only need water at certain specific times .... vast fruit & nut farms are being developed that require water all the time.

You didn't learn a bloody thing.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #146 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 6:12pm

A town located on a tributary river system that is 10,000 people large that becomes 20,000 people 10 to 15 years later would surely have an impact on how much water flows into the Murray. Our river will have gigalitres of water drawn into the water treatment plant, each week, for town drinking supply.

We can talk about agriculture and a lack of adequate rainfall all we want for the topic of why a river system runs dry. And those two reasons would be the main reason for the dry Murray. But, when towns along the river expand and the demand for water increases, I bet the supply of water (even on a good rainfall year) can lead to lower levels of accessible water downstream.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #147 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 12:02pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 6:12pm:
A town located on a tributary river system that is 10,000 people large that becomes 20,000 people 10 to 15 years later would surely have an impact on how much water flows into the Murray. Our river will have gigalitres of water drawn into the water treatment plant, each week, for town drinking supply.

We can talk about agriculture and a lack of adequate rainfall all we want for the topic of why a river system runs dry. And those two reasons would be the main reason for the dry Murray. But, when towns along the river expand and the demand for water increases, I bet the supply of water (even on a good rainfall year) can lead to lower levels of accessible water downstream.

You're stating the obvious. That's what you should have seen on 4Corners.

Many of the towns along the Darling were sustained by the sheep & cattle industry .... expanding irrigation changed that to cropping.

If you look at the Murrumbidgee Valley with Google Earth you will see there's hardly a bare bit of ground.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #148 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 11:33pm

I get the feeling that you might be undermining your own argument, Gnads.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #149 - Jul 11th, 2019 at 8:21am

No ... you've undermined your own.

The issue is about water ... expanding irrigation to lands where once there was none uses more & more water.

You're the one who wanted to irrigate the interior.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print