Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Taking Australia’s defence strategy forward (Read 1407 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: Taking Australia’s defence strategy forward
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 3:39pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:59pm:
Which reminds me ...

Did I see a story the other day that stated that circuit boards on the Strike Fighter are made in China?

Grin

I assume you mean this report?

News to me.  I suspect it will mean some line replacement items will be produced by an approved Western producer...

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 6:05pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 3:39pm:
Captain Nemo wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:59pm:
Which reminds me ...

Did I see a story the other day that stated that circuit boards on the Strike Fighter are made in China?

Grin

I assume you mean this report?

News to me.  I suspect it will mean some line replacement items will be produced by an approved Western producer...

Interesting:

A Chinese-owned company is making circuit boards for F-35 warplanes flown by Britain and the US, the Ministry of Defence has revealed.

The parts, made by Exception PCB based in Gloucestershire, south west England, "control many of the F-35's core capabilities", according to publicity material produced by the MoD.

That includes "its engines, lighting, fuel and navigation systems", it said.

The MoD maintains that Exception PCB presents "no risk" to the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter supply chain and said it is an established manufacturer of circuit boards to the defence industry.

A report by Sky News revealed that Exception PCB was making parts for the F-35 on Friday.

Former Tory defence minister Sir Gerald Howarth expressed concern that a Chinese-owned company is producing parts for a classified British programme, citing fears over Chinese espionage and rivalry.

He said: "We have been completely and utterly naive about the role of China and it is only now that people are beginning to wake up."

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 6:11pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 2:44pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:34pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:22pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 7:10pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 4:23pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 3:43pm:
Bump to Brian -

why not all nations including America & China sign up to reducing arms?

Ah, but they have, numerous times, Bobby.  Why do they do it? 

For numerous reasons.  It prevents them from being overtaken in an expensive business.  It prevents the other side from becoming too powerful.  It prevents themselves from becoming too powerful.   

Recently, the US has abandoned several major arm's control treaties.  They felt that they were limited whereas Russia was not.   The US didn't care about that the Russians were also limited by the treaties.   Roll Eyes

It's still a lot cheaper solution than building up
huge armies and navies.
It could help to avoid WW3.
India needs to be in such an agreement too.
There's a dangerous arms buildup in this part of the world.

This has been noted continually over the last 40 years, Bobby.  Nothing new here at all.  We have seen ourselves, Japan, China, ROK, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, India all surge at various times and purchase new equipment.  Then they must learn how to operate them.  Some manage, some don't.   Roll Eyes

But it's way out of control.

Is it?  It is nothing like the arms races we have experienced in the past such as before WWI between the British and the German navies or before WWII between the Japanese and the US navies or during the cold war between the fUSSR and the West, Bobby.

Quote:
India, Pakistan and, China are armed to the teeth.

Are they?   Pakistan is fighting an insurgency in it's NW provinces.  India is guarding against Chinese or Pakistani aggression and China is guarding itself against perceived US aggression.   China and India are still in a state of war with each other.  Pakistan and India are still in a state of war over Kashmir.  Neither is spending outrageous amounts of cash on weapons.

Quote:
Right now we have the USA & Iran on a hair trigger for
another war in the Middle East.
Israel is egging on the Yanks.

Meanwhile Russia is re-arming with hypersonic missiles
that could carry nuclear war heads.

A little bit outside of SE Asia or Oceania, Bobby.

Quote:
This will not end well as a war can start from a relatively minor incident.

Mmmm, so what has changed since the Cold War, Bobby?   We lived with that condition for over 40 years.  They made movies about it.   I'm used to it.  How about you?   Roll Eyes

The Cold War?
It's only luck that we're still here -
the button was nearly pressed so many times.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 6:58pm

Pakistan is fighting an insurgency in it's NW provinces.  India is guarding against Chinese or Pakistani aggression and China is guarding itself against perceived US aggression.   China and India are still in a state of war with each other.  Pakistan and India are still in a state of war over Kashmir.  Neither is spending outrageous amounts of cash on weapons.

Asiatics, aintcha sick of 'em?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2019 at 11:03pm

Bobby. wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 6:11pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:34pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 21st, 2019 at 1:22pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 7:10pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 4:23pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jun 20th, 2019 at 3:43pm:
Bump to Brian -

why not all nations including America & China sign up to reducing arms?

Ah, but they have, numerous times, Bobby.  Why do they do it? 

For numerous reasons.  It prevents them from being overtaken in an expensive business.  It prevents the other side from becoming too powerful.  It prevents themselves from becoming too powerful.   

Recently, the US has abandoned several major arm's control treaties.  They felt that they were limited whereas Russia was not.   The US didn't care about that the Russians were also limited by the treaties.   Roll Eyes

It's still a lot cheaper solution than building up
huge armies and navies.
It could help to avoid WW3.
India needs to be in such an agreement too.
There's a dangerous arms buildup in this part of the world.

This has been noted continually over the last 40 years, Bobby.  Nothing new here at all.  We have seen ourselves, Japan, China, ROK, Taiwan, Thailand, Indonesia, India all surge at various times and purchase new equipment.  Then they must learn how to operate them.  Some manage, some don't.   Roll Eyes

But it's way out of control.

Is it?  It is nothing like the arms races we have experienced in the past such as before WWI between the British and the German navies or before WWII between the Japanese and the US navies or during the cold war between the fUSSR and the West, Bobby.

Quote:
India, Pakistan and, China are armed to the teeth.

Are they?   Pakistan is fighting an insurgency in it's NW provinces.  India is guarding against Chinese or Pakistani aggression and China is guarding itself against perceived US aggression.   China and India are still in a state of war with each other.  Pakistan and India are still in a state of war over Kashmir.  Neither is spending outrageous amounts of cash on weapons.

Quote:
Right now we have the USA & Iran on a hair trigger for
another war in the Middle East.
Israel is egging on the Yanks.

Meanwhile Russia is re-arming with hypersonic missiles
that could carry nuclear war heads.

A little bit outside of SE Asia or Oceania, Bobby.

Quote:
This will not end well as a war can start from a relatively minor incident.

Mmmm, so what has changed since the Cold War, Bobby?   We lived with that condition for over 40 years.  They made movies about it.   I'm used to it.  How about you?   Roll Eyes

The Cold War?
It's only luck that we're still here -
the button was nearly pressed so many times.

If we go, we go, Bobby.  Nothing I say or do will prevent it.  Nothing you say or do will prevent it.  I live my life and i help other people live theirs'.  You can worry all you like, I won't be.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print