Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Send Topic Print
Careful what you write, folks (Read 16890 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Careful what you write, folks
Reply #135 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 1:43pm

mothra wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:51am:
Daily Beast Contributor Wins $4.1 Million From Neo-Nazi for ISIS Smear

Dean Obeidallah was falsely accused of being behind a terrorist attack by The Daily Stormer, whose on-the-run founder just lost big in court.

After Dean Obeidallah wrote a Daily Beast article condemning President Trump’s approach to white supremacist terror in 2017, the neo-Nazi site The Daily Stormer website falsely accused Obeidallah of being behind an ISIS attack.

Now The Daily Stormer’s founder is being forced to pay him millions for the smear.

Obeidallah, a comedian and radio host, sued Daily Stormer founder Andrew Anglin for defamation, and on Wednesday a judge ordered Anglin to pay $4.1 million in damages.

“The judge apparently found what they did so atrocious he gave them the most he could in punitive damages,” Obeidallah told The Daily Beast.

He said he plans on giving the money to organizations that combat bigotry.

“This was never about collecting money. If I collect a penny from the Nazis, I’m not going to keep their money. I’m going to give it to organizations that fight hate and bigotry, the very groups Nazis despise.”

Anglin, who has been on the lam for more than a year, didn’t testify, although his father did. The ruling comes as the latest legal strike against Anglin, who is currently avoiding another lawsuit by a Jewish woman who received death threats after Anglin attacked her on his site.

In Obeidallah’s case, the harassment started after he wrote an article entitled, “Will Donald Trump Ever Say the Words ‘White Supremacist Terrorism’?”

“We already had three to four acts of violence, murders, by people who were self-proclaimed white supremacists. The thesis of my article was that, during his campaign Trump demanded we say ‘radical Islamic terrorism.’ Why won’t he say the words ‘white supremacist terrorism?’ said  Obeidallah, who is Muslim.

“That got the eye of Andrew Anglin at the Daily Stormer who wrote an article the next day quoting my article and smearing me in the first line as an ISIS mastermind.”

“They fabricated tweets that looked real, that said I was involved in the Manchester bombing.”
— Dean Obeidallah

The doctored tweets appeared on the Stormer, a once-popular website that received approximately 3.18 million page views  while the article was active, according to Obeidallah’s lawsuit. (The Stormer lost significant standing after it was kicked off its old webhost.)

Stormer readers piled on, sending Obeidallah death threats. The attacks took a toll on him, he said. Whereas Obeidallah once had few reservations about meeting fans, he said he’s now more cautious about scheduling meet-ups with people who reach out online.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/daily-beast-contributor-dean-obeidallah-wins-dolla...

Wow. 4.1 million, eh?

I should try that. People always say I'm from ISIS.

I have no idea why.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #136 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 1:46pm

wrong thread

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #137 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 6:08pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:23am:
Quote:
Ahh. We're in America's borders again.

And also limiting Islamic terrorism to two organisation that are barely active there. Greg is a one trick pony on this.

two organisations? making crap up again are you FD? tut, tut ....you'll never learn Roll Eyes

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #138 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 7:52pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:07pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:05pm:
rhino wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:48pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 2:49pm:
aquascoot wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 11:59am:
there is a path out of this hell for the right and its probably an easier path.
you simply find something meaningful to do , like building a business or mastering a profession ...

Like terrorism, you mean?

https://www.revealnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/figure1.png
Just to clarify, a large number of these right wing terrorist attacks are things like water bombing  abortion clinics or anti establishment graffiting. These are all included in FBI stats as terrorist attacks. Nearly all the Islamic attacks listed resulted in multiple fatalities or death and maiming of innocent people. So what your statistics really show is that people in the West resort to throwing water balloons or drawing graffitti to show their political anger while Muslims set off nail bombs and fly aircraft into buildings.

I suppose these people all died from either inhaling the fumes from the spray-paint cans, or drowning from all the water in those water balloons:

"In 2017, there were 65 extremism-related incidents, which killed 95 people, and only seven attacks had been committed by Muslim-origin extremists, equaling slightly more than 10 percent of the attacks in the US, while other right-wing and left-wing violence made up more than 80 percent of the attacks."

Far-right violence now a bigger threat to the US than Daesh and Al Qaeda

Oh dear - more deaths from graffiti:

"According to recent FBI data, white supremacists in the US have committed far more killings than members of groups like Al Qaeda and Daesh."

"According to the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, 71 percent of killings related to extremism have been committed by white supremacists between 2008 and 2017, while extremists related to groups like Al Qaeda, are responsible for 26 percent of fatal violence.

White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since September 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist,” wrote Janet Reitman.
ah,  so  the exclusion is that the stats are post 9/11,  the one attack in which Muslims killed over 3000 initally and many more since. This total from one single Muslim attack from which the death toll  far eclipsed the total number of terrorist deaths ever in the US from all sources is conveniently excluded. Gotcha  Wink

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #139 - Jun 14th, 2019 at 8:19pm

rhino wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 7:52pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:07pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 8:05pm:
rhino wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 7:48pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 2:49pm:
aquascoot wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 11:59am:
there is a path out of this hell for the right and its probably an easier path.
you simply find something meaningful to do , like building a business or mastering a profession ...

Like terrorism, you mean?

https://www.revealnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/figure1.png
Just to clarify, a large number of these right wing terrorist attacks are things like water bombing  abortion clinics or anti establishment graffiting. These are all included in FBI stats as terrorist attacks. Nearly all the Islamic attacks listed resulted in multiple fatalities or death and maiming of innocent people. So what your statistics really show is that people in the West resort to throwing water balloons or drawing graffitti to show their political anger while Muslims set off nail bombs and fly aircraft into buildings.

I suppose these people all died from either inhaling the fumes from the spray-paint cans, or drowning from all the water in those water balloons:

"In 2017, there were 65 extremism-related incidents, which killed 95 people, and only seven attacks had been committed by Muslim-origin extremists, equaling slightly more than 10 percent of the attacks in the US, while other right-wing and left-wing violence made up more than 80 percent of the attacks."

Oh dear - more deaths from graffiti:

"According to recent FBI data, white supremacists in the US have committed far more killings than members of groups like Al Qaeda and Daesh."

"According to the Anti-Defamation League’s Center on Extremism, 71 percent of killings related to extremism have been committed by white supremacists between 2008 and 2017, while extremists related to groups like Al Qaeda, are responsible for 26 percent of fatal violence.

White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since September 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist,” wrote Janet Reitman.
ah,  so  the exclusion is that the stats are post 9/11,  the one attack in which Muslims killed over 3000 initally and many more since. This total from one single Muslim attack from which the death toll  far eclipsed the total number of terrorist deaths ever in the US from all sources is conveniently excluded. Gotcha  Wink

That's correct.

I thought that was pretty clear to everyone.

This bit kind of gave it away:

"since September 11, 2001".

You're still not very good at this, are you?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #140 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 8:57am

Mattyfisk wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 1:43pm:
mothra wrote on Jun 13th, 2019 at 10:51am:
Daily Beast Contributor Wins $4.1 Million From Neo-Nazi for ISIS Smear

Dean Obeidallah was falsely accused of being behind a terrorist attack by The Daily Stormer, whose on-the-run founder just lost big in court.

After Dean Obeidallah wrote a Daily Beast article condemning President Trump’s approach to white supremacist terror in 2017, the neo-Nazi site The Daily Stormer website falsely accused Obeidallah of being behind an ISIS attack.

Now The Daily Stormer’s founder is being forced to pay him millions for the smear.

Obeidallah, a comedian and radio host, sued Daily Stormer founder Andrew Anglin for defamation, and on Wednesday a judge ordered Anglin to pay $4.1 million in damages.

“The judge apparently found what they did so atrocious he gave them the most he could in punitive damages,” Obeidallah told The Daily Beast.

He said he plans on giving the money to organizations that combat bigotry.

“This was never about collecting money. If I collect a penny from the Nazis, I’m not going to keep their money. I’m going to give it to organizations that fight hate and bigotry, the very groups Nazis despise.”

Anglin, who has been on the lam for more than a year, didn’t testify, although his father did. The ruling comes as the latest legal strike against Anglin, who is currently avoiding another lawsuit by a Jewish woman who received death threats after Anglin attacked her on his site.

In Obeidallah’s case, the harassment started after he wrote an article entitled, “Will Donald Trump Ever Say the Words ‘White Supremacist Terrorism’?”

“We already had three to four acts of violence, murders, by people who were self-proclaimed white supremacists. The thesis of my article was that, during his campaign Trump demanded we say ‘radical Islamic terrorism.’ Why won’t he say the words ‘white supremacist terrorism?’ said  Obeidallah, who is Muslim.

“That got the eye of Andrew Anglin at the Daily Stormer who wrote an article the next day quoting my article and smearing me in the first line as an ISIS mastermind.”

“They fabricated tweets that looked real, that said I was involved in the Manchester bombing.”
— Dean Obeidallah

The doctored tweets appeared on the Stormer, a once-popular website that received approximately 3.18 million page views  while the article was active, according to Obeidallah’s lawsuit. (The Stormer lost significant standing after it was kicked off its old webhost.)

Stormer readers piled on, sending Obeidallah death threats. The attacks took a toll on him, he said. Whereas Obeidallah once had few reservations about meeting fans, he said he’s now more cautious about scheduling meet-ups with people who reach out online.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/daily-beast-contributor-dean-obeidallah-wins-dolla...

Wow. 4.1 million, eh?

I should try that. People always say I'm from ISIS.

I have no idea why.

Wow!  That's a serious terrorist act from an extreme right wing organisation - calling someone a terrorist!!

Tell greg quick before it goes off the boil in the media....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 8:59am

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 12:56pm:
mothra wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 12:48pm:
mothra wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 12:42pm:
freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2019 at 12:36pm:
You mean more killings in the US than groups that are barely active in the US?

So FD, given that this is your position, it is safe to say you must agree that Islam is not the biggest threat to freedom and democracy, yes?

I mean, to say otherwise would make you look like a bit of a tit.

He did say they were barely active.

Sounds like an admission to me.

Barely active because they are not given the chance..... funny how that works.... in another arena it might be called Nazi-style control of a segment of the populace.... with this lot, it's called preventative medicine.....

Which do you prefer?

Hmmmm ..... (I raise these things for your consideration - not as some confirmed position of mine.. you must look at things from all angles to get near what might be the truth)...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:03am

I believe I asked for the actual number of deaths -anyone?  ANYONE?

Needed for comparison with .. say... 9/11?? (My daughter's birthday)....

I post this before I read it myself - to be fair:-

https://www.newamerica.org/in-depth/terrorism-in-america/

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #143 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:09am

Let's look at this post 9/11 list:-

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/18/us/u-s-terrorist-attacks-fast-facts/index.htm...

"April 15, 2013 - Twin bomb blasts explode near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three and wounding at least 264. One suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, is killed in an encounter with police. His brother, suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is captured and charged with one count of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and one count of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death. He is given the death penalty on June 25, 2015.

July 16, 2015 - Mohammad Abdulazeez opens fire on a military recruiting center and a Navy reserve facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee, killing four US Marines and a Navy sailor. FBI Director James Comey later says Abdulazeez's actions were "motivated by foreign terrorist organization propaganda," adding that it's difficult to determine which terrorist group may have inspired him.
December 2, 2015 - Married couple Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik open fire on a holiday party taking place at Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California, killing 14 people. Investigators believe the couple was self-radicalized.

June 12, 2016 - Omar Mateen, an American-born man who'd pledged allegiance to ISIS, kills 49 people and wounds others in a shooting spree at a gay nightclub in Orlando, the second-deadliest mass shooting in recent US history and the nation's worst terror attack since 9/11.

August 12, 2017 - One person is killed and 19 are injured when a speeding car slams into a throng of counterprotesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, where a "Unite the Right" rally of white nationalists and other far right organizations was coordinated to protest the city's decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. James Alex Fields Jr., suspected of driving the deadly vehicle, is later indicted on 30 counts, including a hate crime resulting in death and bodily injury, and racially motivated violent interference with "federally protected activity" of using public streets. On September 14, 2017, President Donald Trump signs into law a congressional "joint resolution condemning the violence and domestic terrorist attack" that took place in Charlottesville.
October 31, 2017 - Eight people are killed and almost a dozen injured when a 29-year-old man in a rented pickup truck drives down a busy bicycle path near the World Trade Center in New York. The suspect has been identified as Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov. Authorities found a note near the truck used in the incident, claiming the attack was made in the name of ISIS, a senior law enforcement official says."

Now - where's my list of people killed by extreme right  wingers in the US.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #144 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:22am

This might help - but for some strange reason the focus seems to be on Islamist terrorist attacks and not extreme anything else... can't figure that:-

https://www.start.umd.edu/pubs/START_AmericanTerrorismDeaths_FactSheet_Nov2017.p...

Fewer than 3300 total, and the 9/11-ers hold the record at over 2900 ... and (coughs) according to the other  lists, Islamist-inclined individuals hold the record for the majority of the rest.... certainly far out of keeping with their percentage in the population....

Lessee now ....

3277 - 196 (pre-9/11/2001) = 3081

9/11/2001 deaths acknowledged = 2908

Ergo post 9/11 deaths total =  173.

Muslims direct deaths (from the list below) = 64.

Remainder = 109.

Now can someone give a list of who killed who out of that 109?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_the_United_States

Now - Muslims are 1.1% of the US population - so out of 173, they should have proportionately been responsible for about 1.7 or so deaths post 9/11..... instead their total is 64.... not bad work for a 1.1% group in a society, and somewhere around 37%.

Anyone? ANYONE?  Anyone prepared to offer a view on which group is under the most scrutiny as potentially deadly?  And why that should be?  And how this scrutiny actually works against their being even worse at killing innocents abroad?

Now - where's my list of numbers killed by extremist white right wingers in the US?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Captain Caveman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #145 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:24am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:09am:
Let's look at this post 9/11 list:-

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/18/us/u-s-terrorist-attacks-fast-facts/index.htm...

"April 15, 2013 - Twin bomb blasts explode near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three and wounding at least 264. One suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, is killed in an encounter with police. His brother, suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, is captured and charged with one count of using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction resulting in death and one count of malicious destruction of property by means of an explosive device resulting in death. He is given the death penalty on June 25, 2015.

July 16, 2015 - Mohammad Abdulazeez opens fire on a military recruiting center and a Navy reserve facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee, killing four US Marines and a Navy sailor. FBI Director James Comey later says Abdulazeez's actions were "motivated by foreign terrorist organization propaganda," adding that it's difficult to determine which terrorist group may have inspired him.
December 2, 2015 - Married couple Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik open fire on a holiday party taking place at Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California, killing 14 people. Investigators believe the couple was self-radicalized.

June 12, 2016 - Omar Mateen, an American-born man who'd pledged allegiance to ISIS, kills 49 people and wounds others in a shooting spree at a gay nightclub in Orlando, the second-deadliest mass shooting in recent US history and the nation's worst terror attack since 9/11.

August 12, 2017 - One person is killed and 19 are injured when a speeding car slams into a throng of counterprotesters in Charlottesville, Virginia, where a "Unite the Right" rally of white nationalists and other far right organizations was coordinated to protest the city's decision to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee. James Alex Fields Jr., suspected of driving the deadly vehicle, is later indicted on 30 counts, including a hate crime resulting in death and bodily injury, and racially motivated violent interference with "federally protected activity" of using public streets. On September 14, 2017, President Donald Trump signs into law a congressional "joint resolution condemning the violence and domestic terrorist attack" that took place in Charlottesville.
October 31, 2017 - Eight people are killed and almost a dozen injured when a 29-year-old man in a rented pickup truck drives down a busy bicycle path near the World Trade Center in New York. The suspect has been identified as Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov. Authorities found a note near the truck used in the incident, claiming the attack was made in the name of ISIS, a senior law enforcement official says."

Now - where's my list of people killed by extreme right  wingers in the US.....

Good luck. I've been asking the silly pecca for weeks on end to produce something....anything.
362 people killed in the name of Islam this month in over 50 different Islamic terrorist attacks around the globe and he posts something about Donald trump. Well pecca is trumped. He has nothing.
Apparently Google is no good unless he needs a graph....with pretty colors....written by some basement jack he so often shouts down. 🤔

This pecca bloke is a fool. He admits he is only "evening up the arguments". His very own one man band. 🤣🤣🤣

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #146 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:25am

Also, in the Europe stats that were posted, Islam was the only religious or ideological grouping to get it's own category, despite being a tiny minority of the population.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #147 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:26am

Damn - I missed one of those Muslim massacres - the actual total out of 173 post-9/11 is 79...

(reworks figures).....CLOSER TO 46% KILLED BY MUSLIMS.

Anyone?  Anyone? 1.1% of the population did 46% of terrorist deaths post 9/11 .... ANYONE?  Got an offer of why Muslim potential terrorists in the US are under such close scrutiny that they are 'hardly active'?

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:35am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #148 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:29am

And the NSW police force has a designated ME crime squad.

They made a killing with busting the Child Care rip off involving nearly a billion dollars & 1,000s of Muslim families. Angry

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #149 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 9:35am

"71 percent of killings related to extremism have been committed by white supremacists between 2008 and 2017, while extremists related to groups like Al Qaeda, are responsible for 26 percent of fatal violence."

“White supremacists and other far-right extremists have killed far more people since September 11, 2001, than any other category of domestic extremist,”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Send Topic Print