Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Coincidences... (Read 1758 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Coincidences...
Jun 12th, 2019 at 6:14pm

Has anyone had some recently or in the past?

I recently had a minor one.
Ute in at Mechanics, I decided to go down to the large Park to read
Moby Dick
by Melville. Although at the halfway mark of the Chapter: Moby Dick, I just got sick of the tedious wording and writing style of that era. It was like a slog through mud at times... or against an underwater current.
So I went back and into an Op Shop and for $2, bought a small SF book.
The 'choice' was because it had the title
INVOLUTION OCEAN
on it. Inner leaf write-up: A dead planet. It's only inhabitable terrain lies 70 miles down in a crater 500 miles wide. It is bounded by The Cliff - a wall of boulders undisturbed for 4 billion years.
A bizarre and eerily fatal world... Nullaqua will haunt you as Dalusa, the strange winged woman, haunted the man who was doomed to lover her...

The words Ocean and Nullaqua took me, with Nullaqua sounding 'aboriginal-Australian'.
Then the Map - an 'island' of dust ocean ...and to me it reminded me of Australia a tad.

Anyway - it 'coincidentally' just happened to be a story on 'Whaling'... much like Moby Dick  Wink

Like I said - that's just a minor one.
I've had many before, some amazing, some dark as death and some that have just been so powerful in their happening, that I swear sometimes I think the brain can work on a higher plane of thought as if tapping into the 'Gaea'.  Cheesy A higher state of presence like reading not just the weather around oneself.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Coincidences...
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 1:13pm

Statistically-oriented people believe that coincidences can be explained by the Law of Truly Large Numbers, which states that in large populations any weird event is likely to happen. This is a long way of saying that coincidences are mostly random. Because statisticians “know” that randomness explains them, coincidences are nothing but strange yet expect-able events that we remember because they are surprising to us. They are not coincidences, just random events.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/connecting-coincidence/201607/there-are-...

It's also true that the brain is hard wired for pattern recognition. It means that we often see coincidences that arn't actually there.

Given that there are 7 billion people on the planet and untold billions of events happening every day it would be more of a surprise if coincidences didn't happen

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 5:20pm

I can agree with that.
But I think there is more to it than just a statistical anomaly.
I remember driving along Mamre Road behind a gold volvo and as we approached a small hill, that blocked the view of oncoming traffic, the Volvo driver suddenly veered into the verge and breaked. I for some reason did to.
Luckily I did, (and the volvo driver) because some nut (possibly stolen car) drove very fast over the hill and in our lane to overtake another car. He would have been 'blind' to me and if I didn't 'follow' the Volvo driver into the verge, it would have been a 'head-on' collision for sure.

So I would have to say my 'coincidental' action (split second) was possibly a sixth sense? As far as I know 'sixth sense' is based on a past experience that gives us a heightened awareness on a future event and to what course to take.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 6:07pm

Quote:
But I think there is more to it than just a statistical anomaly

I agree with you JaSin

Absolutely.  Some of the 'coincidences' I've experienced would toss 'scientists' theories out the window.  There have been witnesses.  Not random at all.  Evidence of something much more.  And 'scientists', a growing number these days, admit that while the 'random' theory fits many, there are many which suggest a programme of some sorts is running through the lives of some of not all of us

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:08am

Jasin wrote on Jun 15th, 2019 at 5:20pm:
I remember driving along Mamre Road behind a gold volvo and as we approached a small hill, that blocked the view of oncoming traffic, the Volvo driver suddenly veered into the verge and breaked. I for some reason did to.
Luckily I did, (and the volvo driver) because some nut (possibly stolen car) drove very fast over the hill and in our lane to overtake another car. He would have been 'blind' to me and if I didn't 'follow' the Volvo driver into the verge, it would have been a 'head-on' collision for sure.

So I would have to say my 'coincidental' action (split second) was possibly a sixth sense? As far as I know 'sixth sense' is based on a past experience that gives us a heightened awareness on a future event and to what course to take.

Or here's another explanation that doesn't need to invoke the paranormal.
The volvo driver saw the car coming over the hill and immediately pulled over to the side.
You saw this panicked reaction and would have assumed it was due to some danger coming over the blind hill top and pulled over as well.
I'm sure it would have been a stressful situation.
Since you are already predisposed to believing paranormal nonsense you would have interpreted these events as a "6th sense".
It is nothing more than confirmation bias

From a logical point of view anecdotal evidence is meaningless because with 7 billion people in the world you can always find someone with th right anecdote that you are searching for

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------

Anecdotal evidence is often unscientific or pseudoscientific because various forms of cognitive bias may affect the collection or presentation of evidence. For instance, someone who claims to have had an encounter with a supernatural being or alien may present a very vivid story, but this is not falsifiable. This phenomenon can also happen to large groups of people through subjective validation.

A common way anecdotal evidence becomes unscientific is through fallacious reasoning such as the Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, the human tendency to assume that if one event happens after another, then the first must be the cause of the second. Another fallacy involves inductive reasoning. For instance, if an anecdote illustrates a desired conclusion rather than a logical conclusion, it is considered a faulty or hasty generalization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:29am by The_Barnacle »  

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:12am

Quote:
Since you are already predisposed to believing paranormal nonsense

hope you're not going to take that from Wiki of all places, JaSin

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:31am

PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:12am:
Quote:

ok, I separated my comments from the wiki quote
Although you can't criticise using wiki when you get your information from "ufoinsight"

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:36am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:31am:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:12am:
Quote:

ok, I separated my comments from the wiki quote
Although you can't criticise using wiki when you get your information from "ufoinsight"

I take info wherever I find it, if I consider it of value

and that's because (get ready to throw a fit here, Barnacle) because I am not closed minded nor unduly afraid that there may be far more to our human existence than that which is posited by the scaredy cat materialists

now -- throw fit in your own time  Grin

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:06pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:36am:
and that's because (get ready to throw a fit here, Barnacle) because I am not closed minded nor unduly afraid that there may be far more to our human existence than that which is posited by the scaredy cat materialists

You would be surprised at some of my interest in Quantum theory, Cosmology and Psychology. Some of the concepts are quite mind bending. However the difference is that the concepts need to be observable, falsifiable and repeatable. Personal anecdotes are pretty meaningless.

You would be surprised just how imperfect our brains are. Our memories are highly subjective and the memory itself becomes tainted each time we recall it. There are numerous logical fallacies we fall for, optical illusions and plain distortions of reality caused by our brains which are just organic material which evolved to help us survive.

If something can be more easily explained with a non paranormal explanation then invariably the reality is not paranormal

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:19pm

Going back quite a few years ago, I had a disturbing quinkydink.

The newly married wife and I went to the local club for a meal.
Back in those days they had special days where two could eat for one, and being quite low on the income status, we looked for anything cheap.

Before we went to the club, we went to a phone box outside to ring the wife's mother, we did this once a week.
In the phone box was a wallet, obviously left behind by someone.

We opened it and checked for ID.
There was a new drivers licence for a truck, and $22.00 exactly
Two tens and a two dollar note.

We made the call to the wife's mother, and decided to drop off the wallet before having dinner.
The guy was over the moon, he was to start a new job the next day and needed his licence. He had been everywhere looking for it.
He tried to give us the money,
$22.00 was about 1/3 of a full weeks wages in them days, it would be like $500.00 today.
We would not take it, relying on karma.

We went to the club and had dinner, we has $0.40 left over, so we put it in the pokies, I was getting paid the next day, so I wasn't worried about it.

We went to the only vacant poker machine " Rambling Rose" I still remember it.
The second coin gave us a jackpot.....$22.00 exactly.

I walked up and down the machines, this was the only machine that had a $22.00  jackpot.

Over the years we have been married, even through hard times, there has always been something that has helped us through.
An offer of a part time job when we needed cash.
A win here, some overtime there, cash from helping someone out, always when we most needed it.

We have never been rich with cash, always just enough.
But almost always, when things get hard, something comes up.

I believe it's karma, I help people,  my wife helps people.
Not for reward, just because we want to.
And I think the world, God or something believes we have it balanced out quite nice.

Coincidences?
Possibly, but very convenient coincidences.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 4:44pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:19pm:

Back in those days they had special days where two could eat for one, and being quite low on the income status, we looked for anything cheap.

Before we went to the club, we went to a phone box outside to ring the wife's mother, we did this once a week.

We made the call to the wife's mother, and decided to drop off the wallet before having dinner.
The guy was over the moon, he was to start a new job the next day and needed his licence. He had been everywhere looking for it.
$22.00 was about 1/3 of a full weeks wages in them days, it would be like $500.00 today.

We went to the club and had dinner, we has $0.40 left over, so we put it in the pokies, I was getting paid the next day, so I wasn't worried about it.

I walked up and down the machines, this was the only machine that had a $22.00  jackpot.

Over the years we have been married, even through hard times, there has always been something that has helped us through.
A win here, some overtime there, cash from helping someone out, always when we most needed it.

And I think the world, God or something believes we have it balanced out quite nice.

Coincidences?

Smiley

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 5:07pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:06pm:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:36am:

You would be surprised at some of my interest in Quantum theory, Cosmology and Psychology. Some of the concepts are quite mind bending. However the difference is that the concepts need to be observable, falsifiable and repeatable. Personal anecdotes are pretty meaningless.

You would be surprised just how imperfect our brains are. Our memories are highly subjective and the memory itself becomes tainted each time we recall it. There are numerous logical fallacies we fall for, optical illusions and plain distortions of reality caused by our brains which are just organic material which evolved to help us survive.

If something can be more easily explained with a non paranormal explanation then invariably the reality is not paranormal

Quote:
need to be observable, falsifiable and repeatable

which very often succeed in inhibiting the subject as science is all too aware

Quote:
Personal anecdotes are pretty meaningless

Meaningless from the point of view of materialists who insist things must be measurable, quantifiable, etc.  But far from meaningless to the individual to whom it happened and to those scientists who now gather similar events and find 'evidence' in those rather than 3000 random tosses of dice by a machine, which is the 'scientific' method.

Quote:
You would be surprised just how imperfect our brains are. Our memories are highly subjective and the memory itself becomes tainted each time we recall it. There are numerous logical fallacies we fall for, optical illusions and plain distortions of reality caused by our brains which are just organic material which evolved to help us survive

no argument.  We've all witnessed someone embroider something over time until it bears no resemblance to the actual event. They're not deliberately lying -- they're 'growing' a situation to more fit their preconceived beliefs and or for attention or simply to make the 'wow' factor more wowie.  However, when multiple witnesses can attest to the same thing, then different complexion on the matter altogether.  Which is when science pulls out the 'mass hypnosis' explanation.

Quote:

Science/experts can be ridiculously inventive in providing non-paranormal explanations -- which are often more convoluted and complicated than the simple event they're attempting to explain away

For example, Jenny Cockles, UK.  All her life, from a very early age, she'd had vague memories of a place which she'd never seen in real life.  And she worried endlessly, as a very small child, about her children. 

Time passed, Jenny began a career, married, had real life children of her own.  The day came when she could afford to travel to Ireland in search of the memories which had haunted her since early childhood.  She eventually succeeded in locating the remains of an old cottage in which, in a previous life, she'd struggled to raise her several children.  Further along, with help, she located the birth certificate of her previous self and the names of her past-life several children.

In the previous life, she'd died after giving birth, leaving six or so children on their own with their drunken, brutal father.  In this life, Jenny managed to track down her past life children, then in their old age.  She visited one, the eldest boy named Sonny I think.  Initially, raised in orphanages in Catholic Ireland, he was extremely wary of Jenny's claims to have been a return of his deceased mother who'd died when he was a young boy.

But Jenny persisted and gradually, Sonny warmed a little.  One day, Jenny asked if he remembered the rabbit.  She went on to tell him how, when the cupboards were bare and all the children starving, Sonny and the others had managed to trap a rabbit.  Sonny's eyes lit up.  He said he'd never told his wife about how bad things had been, out of shame.  Jenny went on to describe the scene -- how she'd come running from the cottage at the sound of the children's cries and had found Sonny with the rabbit.  And the joy that night at having something for the little ones to eat.  Sonny said no one in the world except he and his siblings and his deceased mother could have known about that day, about how close to starvation they'd been, how poor and desperate and the exhultation brought because of that skinny little rabbit.  He and Jenny talked about many other small triumphs and sadness to have befallen the family.  He accepted Jenny as the embodiment of his dead mother, despite that Jenny was many years younger than himself.

He went to the priest and asked, 'Father, how can it be that my mother has returned like this?".  The priest consulted his superiors for answers.  The answer came back -- God had felt so sorry for the children's dead mother up there in heaven that he'd 'put' that sad mother's memories into Jenny in order Jenny could be born and let the ageing children know their mother still cared for them.  An sure, that be the answer, to be sure

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 5:13pm

Do you mean this person?

Link.

Gawd, she has even been a dog.  Another fruit-loop.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 8:15pm

Coincidences are allowed in court cases - Circumstantial Evidence

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 8:28pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:19pm:

Coincidences?

Wink awesome

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:56pm

My kids were invited to a birthday party when they were about five.  Lots of parents in attendance, high fence all around the property. I chose to remain, made myself useful.  Father, grandfather, uncles of the party boy were guarding the property.  About a dozen and a half children present.  Child's mother, her mother and sisters and a few other parents were also there for the duration.  Well organised and run event.

An hour or so later, I was inside the house helping out.  Happened to glance out of a window and saw a little girl peddling furiously down the road on a tricycle.  I did a double take after a moment and asked, 'Isn't that one of the kids from the party?'.  People rushed to the window.  Panic stations.  The child was returned to the yard, objecting loudly.  The hostess couldn't understand how the girl had managed to get out of the yard.  The menfolk had promised the guard the gate like hawks

One of the first parents to arrive to collect their child was 'Lucy', the mother of the little girl, 'Bindi', who'd made a run for it on the tricycle.  Lucy was flustered, said she'd driven to collect her daughter as fast as she could.  She said she'd spent the afternoon with a clairvoyant and with a rush said how relieved she was to find Bindi was fine

We asked what she meant and she said that after telling her many upsetting things, the clairvoyant suddenly said, 'You have a little girl.  I can see her now.  She's riding down a road on a tricycle '

Lucy replied no, that couldn't be right, because her daughter was at a birthday party

The clairvoyant said, 'Yes. I can see her. She's on a tricycle, going hell for leather'

Lucy said that was impossible. Her daughter was at a party and the place had a tall fence.  No way could it be her daughter on a road

The clairvoyant said, 'I can see her now.  She has red ribbons and pigtails and is wearing a red spotted party dress.  She's riding on a little trike'

The description fit Lucy's daughter and very worried now, she'd hurried to where the party was being held.  On arrival, she laughed with relief to find Bindi playing happily in the yard with the others and added, 'I'm glad she was wrong about Bindi being on the road, because it means she was wrong about all the other things she said too'

Someone asked what she meant and Lucy said the clairvoyant had told her that she would reunite with her husband soon -- that she was pregnant and this time she'd have a son.  Then Lucy said the clairvoyant had also said that Lucy's mother would be dead before Christmas

Those of us who knew Bindi had escaped out onto the road didn't speak.  We hadn't known whether to interrupt Lucy to tell her the clairvoyant had been correct and that Bindi had somehow taken a tricycle onto the road.  But upon hearing the rest of the clairvoyant's predictions, we held our tongues, because if we'd confirmed that Bindi had been on the road, it might seem to Lucy that the prediction about her mother's death could also be true

Lucy said the clairvoyant must be wrong.  To begin with, she was not pregnant and had no intention of reuniting with her husband -- and her mother was, as always, perfectly healthy

We agreed.  Clairvoyants, fortune tellers, etc.  Everyone knew they made it up.  Someone asked the name of the clairvoyant.  Lucy handed them a slip of paper bearing the woman's name, address and phone number, saying she wouldn't be needing it any more

After Lucy and her daughter had left, the hostess admitted to feeling guilty for not telling Lucy the truth about the tricycle incident.  We said no harm done, so best forget it.  But of course we were aware that the clairvoyant had been uncannily accurate in at least one respect

In the weeks to follow, many of those at the party went to the clairvoyant in question and the woman's name and contact details were passed from one person to the next

I didn't bump into Lucy until a couple of months later.  She looked very unwell and it was obvious she was pregnant.  She confirmed she was and said as result, she and her husband had reunited

Couple of months later, I saw her again.  She was not doing well but was continuing to work.  Her mother, she said, was dying.  The illness had hit out of the blue.

Later, I learned that Lucy had given birth to a son and her mother had died

I met the clairvoyant when a friend persuaded me to go with her for a reading.  That was a strange experience as it turned out.  But as regards the clairvoyant, she was in her late 30, extremely glamorous and gave the impression of being an air-head.  Professional photos of her were on every wall. She said she'd been a photographic model, had married an American, had a couple of children in the US then returned to Australia when the marriage broke down. She preened before every mirror, was broke, modelling was over for her.  She charged two dollars per reading

When I asked, she replied she had never had any interest in fortune telling.  At a party, a game was invented whereby those present would take turns predicting each other's future.  Later, those present claimed she'd been so accurate in their case that she should try to make money from it.  Which is how she'd begun

When I asked if she gleaned information from voices or visions, pictures in her head, she replied, 'I don't know how I do it'.  She was bored throughout.  She added she'd been told by those in the trade to stop giving out such disturbing information. 
Cont.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 12:21am

Continued

The clairvoyant said that when she'd begun, she told people everything she could to give them their money's worth

In one instance, she said, a middle aged woman had come to her seeking help with her marriage.  Her husband had become distant and terse with her. She didn't know what was wrong and couldn't sleep, was always anxious

The clairvoyant said she'd told the woman the husband had a mistress and was planning to leave her.  Go to a solicitor asap and secure your finances, etc.  The woman had rejected the advice, abused the clairvoyant and left

Later, the woman phoned to apologise and to say she'd taken the advice about safeguarding her finances and consulting a solicitor.  Her husband had left.  He confessed he was in love with someone else

On another occasion, said the clairvoyant, she'd told a woman that a family member would die within a few months.  She'd told other people similarly upsetting information

A female clairvoyant had contacted her to say she mustn't reveal things so starkly to people.  The clairvoyant said she was only giving people what they came for.  She was told no, people could rarely take those truths.  Instead of telling people that she saw death or other misfortune, she must instead tread carefully around it and should say that perhaps a particular family member would be wise to get a medical check

The clairvoyant said she'd taken the advice and was now more cautious in what she revealed

She used an ordinary pack of playing cards, got the client to select one, shuffled, got them to choose another and so on, until she had twelve cards upside down on the table.  She then lifted the cards in turn to reveal the client's future

No matter how many times I asked how the information was conveyed to her, she repeated simply that she did not know.  It didn't make sense, but I don't think she was being evasive

She didn't waste time with theatrics.  No closed eyes or meaningful silences, etc.  A very active sort of woman who leapt up from her chair mid sentence to go to the kitchen for a cracker, fluffing up her hair in front of a mirror while passing.  A most unlikely clairvoyant

I didn't see her again for a year or so when I attended the house-warming party of a friend.  There was the clairvoyant across the room, still glamorous, still giving the impression she was bored or stoned out of her mind.  I asked the hostess how she came to know the woman and was told she'd come as the guest of someone else.  'Did you know she's a psychic?', my friend asked.  I nodded.  'But she's thick as a plank, you know', my friend continued, or words to that effect, 'She's spent the entire night talking about how she washed the sheepskin covers for her boyfriend's car and how she's worried they won't dry properly'.

My friend said the clairvoyant had hit the big time.  John Howard was one of her clients along with Andrew Peacock.  Lots of politicians flew up to the Gold Coast purely for a reading.  The readings were now in excess of a hundred dollars, I was told, and she had to be booked weeks in advance

I confided the clairvoyant had claimed to me that she didn't know how she did what she did.  My friend said that didn't surprise her at all because she was beautiful but a complete air-head

That woman was the only accurate clairvoyant/fortune teller or whatever the term is, that I've encountered.  Far as I could tell, she was the real deal.  Yet she wasn't remotely interested in the subject

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #17 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 5:08am

Never met a clairvoyant

Spooky

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 7:24am

Quote:
Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists

LINK

LINK

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 7:37am

Years ago one August in Japan I was talking with a mate outside a busy local train station when I spied a little girl sauntering down an external staircase all alone. She caught my eye because there was something un-Japanese like about her descent. When she got to the ground floor she made a bee-line to me and asked me (in Japanese) what the time was. I answered and she made her way aimlessly back up the staircase from where she had come. My friend thought the whole incident was strange, especially the relaxed way she had asked a white foreigner the time.

That night many, many miles away I was at another train station, this one much smaller, no more than a corrugated metal roof above a concrete platform. I was the only one there - even the single employee had gone home. The night sky was full of moonlight and beyond the station were empty grass-covered hills and the Pacific Ocean. I had a short wait so walked over to a brightly lit line of drink vending machines. The surrounding area was dark - this wasn't even a proper town but a dying village with a handful of old people hanging on. The vending machines were on the backside of one of the buildings that made up the village and there were the outlines of other small buildings beyond that but all was completely dark other than the harsh white light of the machines. There were no buildings facing the station - it was if the village had turned its back on the world.

As I stood there deciding which drink to buy, that same little girl appeared out of the dark and asked me the time. I can't recall if I answered her or not but I do remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck. She then turned and walked back into the dark.

When I tell Japanese this story they quickly tell me it was a ghost. Non-Japanese will simply say it was a coincidence.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 7:59am

AiA wrote on Jun 17th, 2019 at 7:37am:
Years ago one August in Japan I was talking with a mate outside a busy local train station when I spied a little girl sauntering down an external staircase all alone. She caught my eye because there was something un-Japanese like about her descent. When she got to the ground floor she made a bee-line to me and asked me (in Japanese) what the time was. I answered and she made her way aimlessly back up the staircase from where she had come. My friend thought the whole incident was strange, especially the relaxed way she had asked a white foreigner the time.

That night many, many miles away I was at another train station, this one much smaller, no more than a corrugated metal roof above a concrete platform. I was the only one there - even the single employee had gone home. The night sky was full of moonlight and beyond the station were empty grass-covered hills and the Pacific Ocean. I had a short wait so walked over to a brightly lit line of drink vending machines. The surrounding area was dark - this wasn't even a proper town but a dying village with a handful of old people hanging on. The vending machines were on the backside of one of the buildings that made up the village and there were the outlines of other small buildings beyond that but all was completely dark other than the harsh white light of the machines. There were no buildings facing the station - it was if the village had turned its back on the world.

As I stood there deciding which drink to buy, that same little girl appeared out of the dark and asked me the time. I can't recall if I answered her or not but I do remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck. She then turned and walked back into the dark.

When I tell Japanese this story they quickly tell me it was a ghost. Non-Japanese will simply say it was a coincidence

Thanks  Shocked

I'd just logged-out and caught your ID next to Coincidences.  So had to log back in to say 'thanks' for recounting that

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 8:35am

About to log out again, then remembered this.  Doesn't sound like much, but for me, it's still disturbing.  Happened decades ago

Attended a family party with my children, intended to stay for half an hour for politeness' sakes.  A man we'll call Alan was going to catch a lift to the party with us, but was held up.  Just as I was about to leave, Alan arrived in a taxi.  He was fairly drunk.  He wasn't popular with the other party goers and wasn't made particularly welcome.  He became argumentative but instead of their expected response, people instead laughed at him.  He stormed from the party and out into the night

I called out to say we'd give him a lift home. When he didn't respond, people told me not to bother.  The children and I left about five minutes later anyway

Usually, at the end of the street, I swung to the left and took the back roads home.  But feeling sorry for Alan I swung to the right and onto a much older, winding road, thinking we'd catch him up to give him a lift

Not far along, we saw Alan walking down the centre of the road.  When he'd been drinking, he adopted a peculiar walk which was immediately recognisable to those who knew him.  He was tall and thin and (when under the influence of alcohol) walked stiff legged, which resulted in his legs splaying out to the sides, like a tin-man

Apart from the unique way of walking, the figure walking ahead of us was wearing Alan's equally recognisable clothing -- pale blue flares long out of date and a washed to death short-sleeved check shirt.  To top it off was the dark hair six weeks overdue for a trim

There was no doubt in our minds that the man walking down the road in front of us was Alan. So much so that swung out in order to drive slowly alongside him.  He was on my left, close to the passenger side door.  My children wound down their windows, ready to ask if he wanted a lift to his place or at least as far as the highway.  If they'd stretched out their arms, the children could have touched him

A second or so earlier, the car's headlights had fully illuminated him and we'd had a very good view of him from behind.  I worked daily with Alan.  The children saw him and his children regularly.  He had a small head in comparison to his body.  Everything about him was slightly odd, including his hair which resembled feathers growing from his skull, the stacked heels he insisted on wearing which, like the flares, were at least a decade out of date.  The set of his shoulders, the long neck. It was Alan, no doubt

He was staring straight ahead, back straight, stiff legged.  It seemed he was going to pretend he didn't know we were there so must be still fuming and sulking

He was ignoring us.  I was beginning to lose my patience, because I could see my children's feelings were hurt.  I'd never liked that stretch of road and was in a stupidly dangerous position through having to swing around him.  Was he going to stop being a child and get in the car or not?

Then he swung his head to face us.  I saw the kids' shocked and confused expressions.  I put my foot down and left him behind. We were all frightened by what we'd seen

it was not Alan.  The man's face when he swung towards us (still not breaking his awkward stride) was ghastly.  Everything about him was identical to Alan, but not the face

Other people will suggest a dozen explanations, but I still don't have one which satisfies me

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #22 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:34pm

A few years ago, I was overseas for work and my wife was home in Australia.

She became quite ill with a stomach bug and, being the stubborn woman she is, refused to go to hospital.

Instead she put herself to bed to tough it out.

She swears to this day, that someone held her hand and smoothed down her hair while she was very ill.
There was no one in the house bar her.

On another occasion, after being away for several weeks, we were missing each other.
That night, I swear that she was in bed with me, and she swears that I was in bed with her all night.

It wasn't until the morning that we both realised that we were thousands of miles apart.

It hasn't happened since, but I honestly feel that I know when she is in trouble.
When her friend died and I was in China, I felt pain in my chest, like great sadness.
I contacted my wife and for two hours she cried over the phone.
Again, I believe I was feeling her sadness from afar.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:57pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 6:34pm:

She became quite ill with a stomach bug and, being the stubborn woman she is, refused to go to hospital.

She swears to this day, that someone held her hand and smoothed down her hair while she was very ill.

On another occasion, after being away for several weeks, we were missing each other.
That night, I swear that she was in bed with me, and she swears that I was in bed with her all night.

It wasn't until the morning that we both realised that we were thousands of miles apart.

It hasn't happened since, but I honestly feel that I know when she is in trouble.
When her friend died and I was in China, I felt pain in my chest, like great sadness.

Thanks for sharing that, Valkie

You're both empathetic obviously and blessed with spiritual gifts

How great that in this big world, you two found each other Smiley

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 9:05pm

Saw this online today:

Quote:
For many years I have worked with researchers doing very careful work [in parapsychology], including a year that I spent full-time working on a classified project for the United States government, to see if we could use these abilities for intelligence gathering during the Cold War… At the end of that project I wrote a report for Congress, stating what I still think is true. The data in support of precognition and possibly other related phenomena are quite strong statistically, and would be widely accepted if it pertained to something more mundane. Yet, most scientists reject the possible reality of these abilities without ever looking at data! And on the other extreme, there are true believers who base their beliefs solely on anecdotes and personal experience. I have asked debunkers if there is any amount of data that would convince them, and they generally have responded by saying, “probably not.” I ask them what original research they have read, and they mostly admit that they haven’t read any. Now there is a definition of pseudo-science-basing conclusions on belief rather than data!”
Professor Jessica Utts, Chair of the Statistics Department, UC Irvine
LINK

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #25 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 9:14pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:57pm:

She is Truely my treasure.
We are soul mates.

I was a very lucky and blessed man

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jun 18th, 2019 at 9:19pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 9:14pm:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 18th, 2019 at 8:57pm:

She is Truely my treasure.
We are soul mates.

I was a very lucky and blessed man

Yep, you were and still are

So is she

Not many have what you and she have
or the wisdom to know it  Smiley

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 8:19am

For years, archaeologists, researchers and writers have dubbed a mysterious group 'The Sea People' who appeared in the mid-east during the reign of the Pharoahs

It's often a mystery as to how we end up watching videos on Youtube and so it was that I found myself watching presentations by a German geologist.  Subject -- the Luwians (pronounced Luvians).  I'd never heard of Luwians prior.  The German is an excellent speaker and believed, with persuasive evidence, that the Luwians were the mysterious Sea People.  They'd lived in Western Turkey prior to their intrusion in Egypt and surrounding regions.  But what caused them to leave their established cities and trading empire of 1000 plus years?

The speaker attributed their movements to the collapse of their society and believed it was a combination of drought, natural catastrophes, weakening economy, etc.

A thousand years is nothing to be sneezed at.  The Luwians had decamped with their wives, children, goods and chattels.  Surely during that thousand years they'd suffered but overcome numerous catastrophes?  What was so different this time?  The answer, according to extensive research, was the combination of catastrophes which proved insurmountable

Food for thought considering today's massive established cities

Few days later I went for a poke around in the weeded-books section of a library.  Lots of magazines and children's books plus a few in foreign languages and a dozen tattered fiction.  And then a fat book which hadn't been there the week before, which turned out to be one which someone had donated.  Title, 'Collapse - How Societies Chose to Fail or Survive'

No mention of Luwians, but the book was published in 2005 so maybe the author wasn't familiar with latest developments in Western Turkey

discussed within the book however are

the Anazazi
the Maya
Easter Island
Pitcain and Henderson
Vikings
Norse Greenland
Dominican Republic and Haiti
Australia gets a mention
China
and more

Vanished societies. Prosperous for hundreds of years, then suddenly gone and buried.  Natural catastrophes, wars .. and abuse and subsequent destruction of natural resources --which is where Australia finds its place within the book accompanied by photos (which apply to others of the vanished societies) of deforestation/land clearing, sheep, cattle, mining, increasing population, etc.

Easter Island, bereft of trees. Isolated, uninhabited stone cottages, forests gone, in Greenland.  Montana, said to be on the tipping point from which there will be no return

But in Papua New Guinean highlands, we're told, the 'primitive' natives conducted (successfully) a tree planting, reforestation programme 1200 years ago when they realised that by continually denuding their forests, they were endangering their own survival

So a random video about a collapsed and until recently unidentified ancient people led shortly afterwards to discovery of a book dedicated to the very same topic with timely warning for people of the present

Coincidence/synchronicity  Smiley

and to top it off, my favourite bit of verse ever since early high-school is the book's foreword:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: 'Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command,
Tell that is sculptor well those passions read,
Which yet survive, stampt on those lifeless things,
The hand that mockt them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains.  Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

'Ozymandias,'
by Percy Bysshe Shelley (1817)

et tu

Burj Khalifa
Empire State Building
Trump Tower
Petronas Towers
Triguboff

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:55pm

I'm currently going on a major Deja-vu that has been ongoing for weeks!!!

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jul 10th, 2019 at 9:11am

Jasin wrote on Jul 9th, 2019 at 10:55pm:
I'm currently going on a major Deja-vu that has been ongoing for weeks!!!

Gee, JaSin --- you might have slipped/be slipping into a parallel reality

main thing ….. is it good?

Funny you should mention it because last night I read a post by someone who said it had happened to him, or something similar.  He said it lasted almost a month.  He continued going to work, meeting up with friends and so on, but everything had a sense of unreality.  Then he returned to his usual way of thinking, observing, etc.  People had noticed he wasn't his usual self but each put it down to possibly a virus

His experience wasn't deja vu though.  I read it a couple of times, trying to work it out and wondered if he'd made it up.  For instance, he said he used his usual door key for his apartment, but it wouldn't work.  Just then a man emerged from an adjoining apartment and pointed to a door further along, to indicate the guy was trying to open the wrong apartment.  When the guy tried his key on another apartment, the door opened, but he found that apartment -- although it contained his possessions, was mirror-reversed … for example, the kitchen was on the opposite side to that of his 'real' apartment.  He spoke to the guy who'd emerged to ask his name.  The guy said his name and added he'd been his neighbour for some time

When the poster returned to normal, a month later, he found he was using his normal door key which opened his 'real' apartment.  And the guy he'd spoken to did not live there

The poster also recounted that while in his disassociative state he'd become interested in a politician and had researched the politician online.  When he returned to his normal state, a month later, it was to discover the politician in whom he'd shown such interest did not exist and no one had heard of him

People do slip into what are known as 'fugue' states, according to the literature

and Robert Monroe wrote an interesting bit about how he'd slipped into one.  Robert Monroe wrote about some interesting experiences and worth the read if you aren't familiar with him

in his altered state, Monroe 'went' to a world which was extremely realistic and could easily have been in existence on earth.  While in that state, he saw 'himself' living his ordinary life as a husband, father and commuter.  He saw and interacted with his wife and children, saw 'his' house and vehicle, etc.  It all felt very real and normal.  In other words, he'd become someone else and while in that state he was contented with that life

It's often occurred to me that we may all be living several lives simultaneously, without our conscious awareness.  And of late, there's been a lot of discussion about quantum physics, quantum entanglement and so on.  I'd like to think they'll crack it before I kick the bucket.  It would revolutionise everyone, everthing.  And the feelings of depression, confusion, imminent doom, etc. would be seen for what they are -- merely symptoms resulting from this particular time-line which may be just a perpetually troubled slice of existence -- just a dark and dangerous alleyway that our consciousness stumbled into in the way tourists on earth sometimes wander down the wrong street, wrong town, to be confronted by elements of a country or city that travel-brochures purposely neglect to mention. 

When I see skeletons being unearthed after 3000 years, I think to myself that they are the vehicles used to traverse this 3D reality. That's what they look like .. vehicles, same as skeletonised motor vehicles lying on the side of desert roads.  Abandoned vehicles left to rust and decay, their drivers departed.  All they take are their experiences during the time they drove what have since become their skeletons.  And now science can extract their Dna to learn about those departed drivers.  What may seem to us to be vast lengths of time might actually be only a few seconds in the reckoning of elsewhere

But back to your deja vu -- can you explain what you're experiencing?  It must be fascinating.  I'm certainly fascinated.  Are you able to function normally while it's occurring?  Which do you prefer --- 'this' reality or the deja vu version?  What are you learning from it?  Can you slip in and out of the deja vu state at will? Did you do anything to thrust you into the deja vu state or was it spontaneous?  Have you experienced deja vu frequently prior to this?  Do you feel 'like yourself' whilst in the deja vu state?  Is it frightening to be suspended in that state?  Like most, I've experienced it since early childhood, but only for a few seconds at a time.  It's always perplexed me and no one (when I was a child) was able to explain it to my satisfaction .. nor since, come to that

Deja vu, when you've experienced it once, is instantly recognisable.  You think, 'uh oh, it's happening again'.  It's sort of nice and disturbing at the same time.  But most of us only experience it fleetingly.  Can't imagine what it must be like to spend a couple of weeks in that state of mind.  Hope you'll post about it again

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print