Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Coincidences... (Read 1754 times)
Jasin
Gold Member

Coincidences...
Jun 12th, 2019 at 6:14pm

Has anyone had some recently or in the past?

I recently had a minor one.
Ute in at Mechanics, I decided to go down to the large Park to read
Moby Dick
by Melville. Although at the halfway mark of the Chapter: Moby Dick, I just got sick of the tedious wording and writing style of that era. It was like a slog through mud at times... or against an underwater current.
So I went back and into an Op Shop and for $2, bought a small SF book.
The 'choice' was because it had the title
INVOLUTION OCEAN
on it. Inner leaf write-up: A dead planet. It's only inhabitable terrain lies 70 miles down in a crater 500 miles wide. It is bounded by The Cliff - a wall of boulders undisturbed for 4 billion years.
A bizarre and eerily fatal world... Nullaqua will haunt you as Dalusa, the strange winged woman, haunted the man who was doomed to lover her...

The words Ocean and Nullaqua took me, with Nullaqua sounding 'aboriginal-Australian'.
Then the Map - an 'island' of dust ocean ...and to me it reminded me of Australia a tad.

Anyway - it 'coincidentally' just happened to be a story on 'Whaling'... much like Moby Dick  Wink

Like I said - that's just a minor one.
I've had many before, some amazing, some dark as death and some that have just been so powerful in their happening, that I swear sometimes I think the brain can work on a higher plane of thought as if tapping into the 'Gaea'.  Cheesy A higher state of presence like reading not just the weather around oneself.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Coincidences...
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 1:13pm

Statistically-oriented people believe that coincidences can be explained by the Law of Truly Large Numbers, which states that in large populations any weird event is likely to happen. This is a long way of saying that coincidences are mostly random. Because statisticians “know” that randomness explains them, coincidences are nothing but strange yet expect-able events that we remember because they are surprising to us. They are not coincidences, just random events.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/connecting-coincidence/201607/there-are-...

It's also true that the brain is hard wired for pattern recognition. It means that we often see coincidences that arn't actually there.

Given that there are 7 billion people on the planet and untold billions of events happening every day it would be more of a surprise if coincidences didn't happen

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 5:20pm

I can agree with that.
But I think there is more to it than just a statistical anomaly.
I remember driving along Mamre Road behind a gold volvo and as we approached a small hill, that blocked the view of oncoming traffic, the Volvo driver suddenly veered into the verge and breaked. I for some reason did to.
Luckily I did, (and the volvo driver) because some nut (possibly stolen car) drove very fast over the hill and in our lane to overtake another car. He would have been 'blind' to me and if I didn't 'follow' the Volvo driver into the verge, it would have been a 'head-on' collision for sure.

So I would have to say my 'coincidental' action (split second) was possibly a sixth sense? As far as I know 'sixth sense' is based on a past experience that gives us a heightened awareness on a future event and to what course to take.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2019 at 6:07pm

Quote:
But I think there is more to it than just a statistical anomaly

I agree with you JaSin

Absolutely.  Some of the 'coincidences' I've experienced would toss 'scientists' theories out the window.  There have been witnesses.  Not random at all.  Evidence of something much more.  And 'scientists', a growing number these days, admit that while the 'random' theory fits many, there are many which suggest a programme of some sorts is running through the lives of some of not all of us

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:08am

Jasin wrote on Jun 15th, 2019 at 5:20pm:
I remember driving along Mamre Road behind a gold volvo and as we approached a small hill, that blocked the view of oncoming traffic, the Volvo driver suddenly veered into the verge and breaked. I for some reason did to.
Luckily I did, (and the volvo driver) because some nut (possibly stolen car) drove very fast over the hill and in our lane to overtake another car. He would have been 'blind' to me and if I didn't 'follow' the Volvo driver into the verge, it would have been a 'head-on' collision for sure.

So I would have to say my 'coincidental' action (split second) was possibly a sixth sense? As far as I know 'sixth sense' is based on a past experience that gives us a heightened awareness on a future event and to what course to take.

Or here's another explanation that doesn't need to invoke the paranormal.
The volvo driver saw the car coming over the hill and immediately pulled over to the side.
You saw this panicked reaction and would have assumed it was due to some danger coming over the blind hill top and pulled over as well.
I'm sure it would have been a stressful situation.
Since you are already predisposed to believing paranormal nonsense you would have interpreted these events as a "6th sense".
It is nothing more than confirmation bias

From a logical point of view anecdotal evidence is meaningless because with 7 billion people in the world you can always find someone with th right anecdote that you are searching for

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------

Anecdotal evidence is often unscientific or pseudoscientific because various forms of cognitive bias may affect the collection or presentation of evidence. For instance, someone who claims to have had an encounter with a supernatural being or alien may present a very vivid story, but this is not falsifiable. This phenomenon can also happen to large groups of people through subjective validation.

A common way anecdotal evidence becomes unscientific is through fallacious reasoning such as the Post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, the human tendency to assume that if one event happens after another, then the first must be the cause of the second. Another fallacy involves inductive reasoning. For instance, if an anecdote illustrates a desired conclusion rather than a logical conclusion, it is considered a faulty or hasty generalization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:29am by The_Barnacle »  

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:12am

Quote:
Since you are already predisposed to believing paranormal nonsense

hope you're not going to take that from Wiki of all places, JaSin

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:31am

PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:12am:
Quote:

ok, I separated my comments from the wiki quote
Although you can't criticise using wiki when you get your information from "ufoinsight"

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:36am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:31am:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:12am:
Quote:

ok, I separated my comments from the wiki quote
Although you can't criticise using wiki when you get your information from "ufoinsight"

I take info wherever I find it, if I consider it of value

and that's because (get ready to throw a fit here, Barnacle) because I am not closed minded nor unduly afraid that there may be far more to our human existence than that which is posited by the scaredy cat materialists

now -- throw fit in your own time  Grin

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:06pm

PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:36am:
and that's because (get ready to throw a fit here, Barnacle) because I am not closed minded nor unduly afraid that there may be far more to our human existence than that which is posited by the scaredy cat materialists

You would be surprised at some of my interest in Quantum theory, Cosmology and Psychology. Some of the concepts are quite mind bending. However the difference is that the concepts need to be observable, falsifiable and repeatable. Personal anecdotes are pretty meaningless.

You would be surprised just how imperfect our brains are. Our memories are highly subjective and the memory itself becomes tainted each time we recall it. There are numerous logical fallacies we fall for, optical illusions and plain distortions of reality caused by our brains which are just organic material which evolved to help us survive.

If something can be more easily explained with a non paranormal explanation then invariably the reality is not paranormal

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:19pm

Going back quite a few years ago, I had a disturbing quinkydink.

The newly married wife and I went to the local club for a meal.
Back in those days they had special days where two could eat for one, and being quite low on the income status, we looked for anything cheap.

Before we went to the club, we went to a phone box outside to ring the wife's mother, we did this once a week.
In the phone box was a wallet, obviously left behind by someone.

We opened it and checked for ID.
There was a new drivers licence for a truck, and $22.00 exactly
Two tens and a two dollar note.

We made the call to the wife's mother, and decided to drop off the wallet before having dinner.
The guy was over the moon, he was to start a new job the next day and needed his licence. He had been everywhere looking for it.
He tried to give us the money,
$22.00 was about 1/3 of a full weeks wages in them days, it would be like $500.00 today.
We would not take it, relying on karma.

We went to the club and had dinner, we has $0.40 left over, so we put it in the pokies, I was getting paid the next day, so I wasn't worried about it.

We went to the only vacant poker machine " Rambling Rose" I still remember it.
The second coin gave us a jackpot.....$22.00 exactly.

I walked up and down the machines, this was the only machine that had a $22.00  jackpot.

Over the years we have been married, even through hard times, there has always been something that has helped us through.
An offer of a part time job when we needed cash.
A win here, some overtime there, cash from helping someone out, always when we most needed it.

We have never been rich with cash, always just enough.
But almost always, when things get hard, something comes up.

I believe it's karma, I help people,  my wife helps people.
Not for reward, just because we want to.
And I think the world, God or something believes we have it balanced out quite nice.

Coincidences?
Possibly, but very convenient coincidences.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 4:44pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:19pm:

Back in those days they had special days where two could eat for one, and being quite low on the income status, we looked for anything cheap.

Before we went to the club, we went to a phone box outside to ring the wife's mother, we did this once a week.

We made the call to the wife's mother, and decided to drop off the wallet before having dinner.
The guy was over the moon, he was to start a new job the next day and needed his licence. He had been everywhere looking for it.
$22.00 was about 1/3 of a full weeks wages in them days, it would be like $500.00 today.

We went to the club and had dinner, we has $0.40 left over, so we put it in the pokies, I was getting paid the next day, so I wasn't worried about it.

I walked up and down the machines, this was the only machine that had a $22.00  jackpot.

Over the years we have been married, even through hard times, there has always been something that has helped us through.
A win here, some overtime there, cash from helping someone out, always when we most needed it.

And I think the world, God or something believes we have it balanced out quite nice.

Coincidences?

Smiley

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 5:07pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 1:06pm:
PZ547 wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 11:36am:

You would be surprised at some of my interest in Quantum theory, Cosmology and Psychology. Some of the concepts are quite mind bending. However the difference is that the concepts need to be observable, falsifiable and repeatable. Personal anecdotes are pretty meaningless.

You would be surprised just how imperfect our brains are. Our memories are highly subjective and the memory itself becomes tainted each time we recall it. There are numerous logical fallacies we fall for, optical illusions and plain distortions of reality caused by our brains which are just organic material which evolved to help us survive.

If something can be more easily explained with a non paranormal explanation then invariably the reality is not paranormal

Quote:
need to be observable, falsifiable and repeatable

which very often succeed in inhibiting the subject as science is all too aware

Quote:
Personal anecdotes are pretty meaningless

Meaningless from the point of view of materialists who insist things must be measurable, quantifiable, etc.  But far from meaningless to the individual to whom it happened and to those scientists who now gather similar events and find 'evidence' in those rather than 3000 random tosses of dice by a machine, which is the 'scientific' method.

Quote:
You would be surprised just how imperfect our brains are. Our memories are highly subjective and the memory itself becomes tainted each time we recall it. There are numerous logical fallacies we fall for, optical illusions and plain distortions of reality caused by our brains which are just organic material which evolved to help us survive

no argument.  We've all witnessed someone embroider something over time until it bears no resemblance to the actual event. They're not deliberately lying -- they're 'growing' a situation to more fit their preconceived beliefs and or for attention or simply to make the 'wow' factor more wowie.  However, when multiple witnesses can attest to the same thing, then different complexion on the matter altogether.  Which is when science pulls out the 'mass hypnosis' explanation.

Quote:

Science/experts can be ridiculously inventive in providing non-paranormal explanations -- which are often more convoluted and complicated than the simple event they're attempting to explain away

For example, Jenny Cockles, UK.  All her life, from a very early age, she'd had vague memories of a place which she'd never seen in real life.  And she worried endlessly, as a very small child, about her children. 

Time passed, Jenny began a career, married, had real life children of her own.  The day came when she could afford to travel to Ireland in search of the memories which had haunted her since early childhood.  She eventually succeeded in locating the remains of an old cottage in which, in a previous life, she'd struggled to raise her several children.  Further along, with help, she located the birth certificate of her previous self and the names of her past-life several children.

In the previous life, she'd died after giving birth, leaving six or so children on their own with their drunken, brutal father.  In this life, Jenny managed to track down her past life children, then in their old age.  She visited one, the eldest boy named Sonny I think.  Initially, raised in orphanages in Catholic Ireland, he was extremely wary of Jenny's claims to have been a return of his deceased mother who'd died when he was a young boy.

But Jenny persisted and gradually, Sonny warmed a little.  One day, Jenny asked if he remembered the rabbit.  She went on to tell him how, when the cupboards were bare and all the children starving, Sonny and the others had managed to trap a rabbit.  Sonny's eyes lit up.  He said he'd never told his wife about how bad things had been, out of shame.  Jenny went on to describe the scene -- how she'd come running from the cottage at the sound of the children's cries and had found Sonny with the rabbit.  And the joy that night at having something for the little ones to eat.  Sonny said no one in the world except he and his siblings and his deceased mother could have known about that day, about how close to starvation they'd been, how poor and desperate and the exhultation brought because of that skinny little rabbit.  He and Jenny talked about many other small triumphs and sadness to have befallen the family.  He accepted Jenny as the embodiment of his dead mother, despite that Jenny was many years younger than himself.

He went to the priest and asked, 'Father, how can it be that my mother has returned like this?".  The priest consulted his superiors for answers.  The answer came back -- God had felt so sorry for the children's dead mother up there in heaven that he'd 'put' that sad mother's memories into Jenny in order Jenny could be born and let the ageing children know their mother still cared for them.  An sure, that be the answer, to be sure

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 5:13pm

Do you mean this person?

Link.

Gawd, she has even been a dog.  Another fruit-loop.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 8:15pm

Coincidences are allowed in court cases - Circumstantial Evidence

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 8:28pm

Valkie wrote on Jun 16th, 2019 at 3:19pm:

Coincidences?

Wink awesome

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print