Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Refugee On Manus Island Sets Himself On Fire (Read 13038 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Refugee On Manus Island Sets Himself On Fire
Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:50pm

Refugee on Manus Island sets himself on fire   Sad

A refugee on Manus Island has set himself on fire in the latest self-harm attempt at the former site of the Australian-run detention centre.

News.com.au June 10, 2019

A refugee on Manus Island has set himself on fire, marking the latest in a rapidly rising number of suicide and self-harm attempts at the former site of the Australian-run detention centre.

The Somalian man, aged about 30, set himself on fire while in the East Lorengau camp on Monday, sources on Manus Island say.

The blaze was quickly extinguished.

Images posted to social media by another refugee show the “highly depressed” man, with burns to his upper body, lying on the floor coated in white fire-fighting chemical powder.

“Men on Manus are completely depressed and mentally unwell - the physical and mental conditions are deteriorating day after day,” refugee Shamindan Kanapadhi wrote on Facebook following the incident.

An image shows the man covered in white fire-fighting chemical powder.

The man was briefly hospitalised at a nearby clinic and treated for the burns before being discharged, fellow refugee Benham Satah said.

There have been more than 70 suicide or self-harm incidents by about 50 refugees or asylum seekers on Manus Island since the Australian federal election, the refugee added.

“It’s truly hard to explain it but I am sure it’s more contagious than salmonella or typhoid,” Mr Satah told AAP on Monday.

“Many are thinking about death every second.” “Even religious people are ignoring God nowadays.” The Somali refugee remains under guard by Paladin private security officers but is not receiving doctor’s visits despite his fragile physical and mental condition, Mr Satah said.

“We have no hope or reason to go through another day,” he said, trying to explain the rapid increase in acute mental health incidents. “Everyone is mentally unwell. We have been treated worse than criminals while we didn’t commit any (crimes).” The incident comes one week after another Somali refugee tried to hang himself and a 31-year-old Iranian refugee self-harmed, according to Refugee Action Coalition.   Sad

Those two events prompted RAC’s spokesman Ian Rintoul to call for an urgent medical transfer of all at-risk individuals in the former camps. “The Australian government continues to persecute people that have been found to be owed international protection,” Mr Rintoul said in a statement on June 3. The former detention centre was the site of a suspected typhoid outbreak in April.

Outspoken Anglican preacher Father Rod Bower, at the time, said the outbreak showed the federal government had failed to care for the ex-detainees. “All of the deaths on Manus have been preventable from the beginning,” Fr Bower told AAP in April.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Refugee On Manus Island Sets Himself On Fire
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:02pm

“The Australian government continues to persecute people that have been found to be owed international protection,”

Morrison and Dutton should be in prison.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:12pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:02pm:
The Australian government continues to persecute people that have been found to be owed international protection,”

Morrison and Dutton should be in prison.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:20pm

He he, I got it right again   Grin

I predicted that Fuzzball would be the first one to show support for the government's illegal and inhumane treatment of fellow human beings.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:23pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
I predicted that Fuzzball would be the first one to show support for the government's illegal and inhumane treatment of fellow human beings.

Where?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:26pm

"Outspoken Anglican preacher Father Rod Bower, at the time, said the outbreak showed the federal government had failed to care for the ex-detainees. “All of the deaths on Manus have been preventable from the beginning,” Fr Bower told AAP in April."

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:28pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:26pm:
"Outspoken Anglican preacher Father Rod Bower, at the time, said the outbreak showed the federal government had failed to care for the ex-detainees. “All of the deaths on Manus have been preventable from the beginning,” Fr Bower told AAP in April."

So unless you are Father Rod Bower, the answer is you didn't. Ho Hum.

And even that doesn't address the Fuzzball claim. Wink

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:31pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
He he, I got it right again   Grin

He he, you predicted Donald Trump would lose the election, in fact didn't you make a promise that if he did you'd fuqoff from this forum for good?  He he........ Roll Eyes

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:33pm

Fuzzball wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:31pm:
He he, you predicted Donald Trump would lose the election, in fact didn't you make a promise that if he did you'd fuqoff from this forum for good? 

Only when he can no longer use a keyboard or mouse, apparently.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:34pm

“The Australian government continues to persecute people that have been found to be owed international protection,”

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #10 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:31pm

Morrison is Australia's current Hitler.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:34pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:31pm:
Morrison is Australia's current Hitler.

Sieg heil mein fuhrer!

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:35pm

A little OT but I have a nice piece of lamb that needs cooking and this unseasonably warm weather makes me feel like a BBQ.

IBI

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:40pm

Gordon wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:35pm:
A little OT but I have a nice piece of lamb that needs cooking and this unseasonably warm weather makes me feel like a BBQ.

At Haji Gordon's age, the Haji Gordon "nice piece" would more likely be mutton than lamb.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:42pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:40pm:
Gordon wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:35pm:

At Haji Gordon's age, the Haji Gordon "nice piece" would more likely be mutton than lamb.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print