Send Topic Print
Albo's sprung already (Read 1996 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Albo's sprung already
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:49pm

juliar wrote on Jun 10th, 2019 at 2:13pm:
Here's Albo's Bill when he was a Govt Minister and Leader of the House.

The creation of a Media watchdog which would have killed Freedom of the Press in Australia.

The role of the watchdog was to be the 'decision maker' (Albo's words) in regard to 'significant news media entities'.

https://i.postimg.cc/L4f5Zn81/albo4-o.jpg
Oh the lying hypocrisy of Albo - bad as Shifty Shorty

meaningless words, a bigger government controlling speech and thought

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:15am

FastBiker, at the time Labor and the Greenies were most certainly Hell bent on suppressing free speech as they were getting a rough trot from 2GB and Murdoch.

But they couldn't get it thru.

The Greenies still have a BAN FREE SPEECH policy which goes right back to Bob Brown times.

And if Labor had gotten in then the Greenies would have got their policy implemented by blocking Labor in the SENATE.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:55am

How Albo danced around the bottom of the Labor bird cage and deftly hopped onto the perch knocking Shorty off.

Albo picks up the pieces. A member of Labor’s Left must guide it back to the centre. His eagerness has startled many.
By TROY BRAMSTON From InquirerMay 25, 2019

Anthony Albanese holds a doorstop at Henson Park Oval in Marrickville. Picture: John Feder

When Chris Bowen invited Jason Clare and Ed Husic into his Smithfield home on Sunday afternoon, he was given good news and bad news. The two Labor MPs — who also represent western Sydney seats — told Bowen they would support him running for the Labor leadership but added that it would be difficult to win.

On Monday night, the three MPs, who share a flat in Canberra, spoke on the phone and Bowen confirmed he would run for leader. Earlier that day, Bowen called NSW Labor secretary Kaila Murnain, who is also convener of the national Right faction, and said he had not made a final decision.

He told her only on Tuesday morning he would run for leader, just before his formal announcement. Bow­en’s heart was never really in it.

Meanwhile, in Brisbane, Jim Chalmers was weighing up whether to run. Chalmers told Bowen he was inclined to run for leader on Monday.

But Chalmers also said he was not inclined to run if Bowen was in the race. The two are friends. Chalmers, unsure of Bowen’s position, went on the ABC’s Q&A on Monday night and did not rule out contesting the leadership.

Earlier that afternoon, Tanya Plibersek announced she would not be a candidate for leader. This came as a shock. Plibersek had told Labor MPs throughout Sunday that she would run for the leadership and her supporters briefed the media accordingly.

Plibersek would split the Left vote in caucus, win a few from the Right, and a good deal of support from party members.

Bill Shorten supported Plibersek’s candidature. She also won the endorsement of Julia Gillard, who remains popular among party members. But Plibersek was urged by Anthony Albanese’s supporters to drop out and give him a clear run at the top job.

Plibersek withdrew from the contest, citing family reasons, which seemed odd given she was prepared to be deputy prime minister just days before. “I am very grateful for the support I have received from my colleagues, from party members and others, urging me to run for the Labor leadership,” Plibersek said.

“I have support, from across the party, to be elected leader … But now is not my time.”

Bunkered in Melbourne, Shorten had called around for Plibersek. He regarded her as a loyal deputy, a great talent and a close friend. But now Plibersek was out. So on Monday Shorten rang Bowen and encouraged him to run. Shorten wanted to stop Albanese. While Shorten said he had united his team, behind the scenes there were lingering tensions with Albanese.

In 2013, Shorten defeated Albanese in the party’s first vote of members and MPs to choose a leader. Albanese won 60 per cent of party members’ votes. But Shorten won 64 per cent of MPs. Shorten was victorious with 52 per cent of the overall vote.

Albanese was stunned; he was confident he would win. So was his campaign manager, Mark Butler, who breezily predicted it to colleagues.

Labor MPs, including those close to Albanese, say he was thinking of challenging Shorten on three occasions during the past six years: in the summer of 2015-16 after Malcolm Turnbull became prime minister and surged in the polls; in the aftermath of the 2016 election, not expecting Labor to win 14 seats; and again if Labor did not retain its four seats in the Super Saturday by-elections mid last year. Albanese was being encouraged by some in the NSW and Victorian Right factions to challenge Shorten.

But Shorten was the great survivor. He had been underestim­ated and always over-performed. That is until last Saturday. Labor was stunned by the defeat. Nobody expected it. Not Shorten. Not Labor’s campaign director, Noah Carroll, who told campaign headquarters staff on Friday that they would win. Ryan Liddell, Shorten’s chief of staff, expected victory too.

But as Labor’s hopes of victory collapsed on Saturday night, Albanese began thinking about the leadership. The Right faction had no plan B if they lost the election. They knew it would be almost impossible for a Right faction candidate to defeat Albanese given his popularity among party members. While the Right faction has a majority in caucus, it would not be enough to offset Albanese’s expected 70 per cent vote among members.

The NSW Right faction split over the leadership. Joel Fitzgibbon, Tony Burke and Kristina Ken­eally publicly supported Albanese, leaving many of their colleagues to question why they bothered to be in a faction that prized loyalty, mateship and tribalism. Bowen’s supporters say he had the backing of most of the NSW Right; his detractors dispute this and say he was damaged by being the architect of Labor’s tax manifesto. Bowen also had support in the Left, notably from Victorian senator Kim Carr.

As Shorten, his staff and Labor’s campaign team struggled to make sense of losing the unlosable election, Albanese was ready.

On Sunday morning, plans were finalised to announce his candidacy for the leadership at the Unity Hall Hotel in Balmain. Albanese informed Shorten by phone.

Albo's flight to the perch continues overleaf

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:55am

Albo's flight to the perch continues...

“It’s not something that comes to me naturally. It’s not something, growing up very close to here in public housing in Camperdown, that you aspire to … I believe I’m the best person to lead Labor back into government.”

Albanese was first out of the starting blocks. A barrage of media interviews followed. His eagerness startled some colleagues.

Shorten had still not been seen since the election defeat the night before. But he surrendered the leadership on election night. Albanese saw an opportunity with clear eyes while most of his colleagues were shell-shocked from the defeat.

In a statement issued after Albanese’s declaration, Shorten said he would “act as outgoing leader” during the election process. This was another sign that Plibersek was preparing to nominate. Otherwise, she would have stepped up to be acting leader.

Fitzgibbon launched his own quixotic bid on Monday morning. Sort of. Fitzgibbon suffered a massive 9.7 per cent two-party vote swing against him in his NSW seat of Hunter. He said the new leader had to show more interest in regional Australia. “If someone’s not prepared to do that, well, I might just do it myself,” he said.

Labor MPs say Fitzgibbon was sending a message to Plibersek not to run. Others say that he was determined to stop Bowen, or anyone else, putting their hand up. Fitzgibbon was for Albanese, as he always had been, many thought. Fitzgibbon made it clear to MPs that he would actively work to deny Bowen support in caucus if he ran against Albanese.

Out in Smithfield at 10.30am on Tuesday, Bowen finally joined the race. It was two days since Albanese announced his candidacy. Bowen was well behind and his own faction was not fully with him. Bowen stood outside the modest fibro home where he had grown up in Smithfield and addressed the media.

“Smithfield’s an important part of me and my story,” Bowen said. “I’ve asked you here today so that I can announce that I will run for the leadership of the Australian Labor Party.”

The questions from journalists were brutal. They asked about Labor’s proposed negative gearing, capital gains tax and franking credits changes, which he had devised and championed. Had they cost Labor the election? Many Labor MPs judged Bowen to be too damaged by the election defeat to be a viable leader.

MPs began declaring their support for Albanese. Labor Senate leader Penny Wong was the big-name endorsement and she had a swipe at Shorten for intervening in the election process when she spoke in Adelaide on Wednesday morning. Shorten ignored Wong and kept working the phones.

Bowen’s Wednesday morning interviews had not gone well. At 3.45pm, he withdrew from the race. It was humiliating. His supporters say he had to show that he was prepared to stand and that he was the Right’s most likely future leader. His detractors say it was a trainwreck candidacy that set his ambitions back, and was motivated only to stop Chalmers.

But Chalmers, seen by some of his colleagues as untrustworthy, had not yet made up his mind whether he would run. Chalmers was encouraged by Shorten to put his hand up, even before Bowen had withdrawn. He had support from almost every member of the national Right outside NSW and strong support from unions. He had the backing of Labor’s national president, Wayne Swan, his former boss. Chalmers said he would announce his intentions on Thursday morning.

Murnain, as convener of the national Right, was open to supporting Chalmers. But her NSW Right faction was split, and support was growing for Albanese with Bowen now out of the contest. MPs aligned to the Right in other states were furious that the NSW Right did not support Chalmers. The upshot is that the Right, with a majority in caucus, was divided and in disarray.

“I won’t be putting my hand up for the leadership of the Australian Labor Party this time around,” Chalmers said on Thursday morning. “I want to thank the many parliamentary colleagues, branch members, activists, and people from the broader labour movement and from communities right around Australia who contacted me and urged me to run on a platform of generational change.”

Albo's flight to the perch continues overleaf

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 8:55am

Albo's flight to the perch continues...

The path was cleared for Albanese. He used his popularity, authority in the Left faction, a sense of inevitability and exploited divisions in the Right faction to win the leadership unopposed. He outplayed Shorten, Plibersek, Bowen and Chalmers. But the hard-Left faction boss will lead a parliamentary party where the Right faction has a majority of MPs. This will require careful management.

The caucus will elect Labor’s deputy leader. It will almost certainly be an MP from the Right faction. Bowen and Chalmers both talked to Albanese about being deputy leader and were initially open to it but decided not to pursue it. The frontrunners are the Victorian Right faction’s Richard Marles and Clare O’Neil.

Labor has chosen a leader from the hard Left of the party to move it towards the centre. This will be difficult. Albanese will have to abandon much of what he has believed in. His credibility, seen as strength, will be tested. He will also need to accept that voters rejected Labor’s leadership, its policies and many of its modern values.

Few in the party comprehend the scale of Labor’s defeat. It has won a majority of seats at only one federal election, in 2007, in the past 26 years. Labor lost seats and its vote fell. In the suburbs and regions, Labor was defeated in low- and middle-income seats. It suffered swings against it in most of its held seats outside the inner cities. It lost blue-collar voters and aspirational voters. And it needs to get them back to be a viable political party in the future.

This is the immense challenge that awaits Albanese and his battered, shocked and diminished party.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquirer/albo-left-to-pick-up-the-pieces/news-s...

And what does the man in the street reckon ?

Sue 2 WEEKS AGO
Left wing, right wing, these things do not matter any more in the ALP. Just look at the policies they took to the election - all left wing. Yet the leader was right wing and so was a majority of caucus. The factions and their sub groups are all personality based today, not ideology.

Mark 2 WEEKS AGO
Great article Troy. The last 3 paragraphs sum up the immense challenge for labor and the significant advantage for the coalition in the next few years.  Albo will need to loose all his decades long convictions and lead the unions to places they do not believe. A fundament rebuilding is required and the bloodletting will be very clear to see. Albo won the battle and labor lost the war. And add to all that, Shorten will probably make the attacks by spurned former leaders Abbott and Rudd look mild by comparison as he tries to rebuild his brand from the inside.

Brett 2 WEEKS AGO
Albo is yesterdays news and that's good news for ScoMo.
When Keneally gets her safe lower house seat he'll be rolled by the NSW right. Albo, keep looking behind you.

Paul 2 WEEKS AGO
Albo,  probably a great guy to have a beer with, but he ain't no leader. As for persons Wong and Plebersik, all talk, posturing and snippy comments but when it came to it, no ticker.
Talk about a rabble trying call others a rabble.

Leslie 2 WEEKS AGO
What will Labor do when the population work Albanese out as pretending to be someone that he is not, just like Shorten, and he continually rates as less preferred PM, just like Shorten. Please Labor ignore this indicator again, please, pretty please.

Trevor H 2 WEEKS AGO
Labor politics is like the Hokey Cokey:
You put the Left man in
You take the Right man out
In, out, in, out
Shake it all about...

Patricia 2 WEEKS AGO
Pick up the pieces, I haven't seen a loader big enough to do that and look at the pollution going into land fill.
Pats worse half

Linda 2 WEEKS AGO
Good article Troy. Albanese only has to look at Scott Morrison for guidance, with the latter being a social conservative who commandeered both his party and election campaign back to the centre. If Morrison can do it, so can Albanese. And just on Albanese, while he may be from the Left, he doesn't appear to be aligned with the unions. That, Troy, is a breath of fresh air.

Shaun 2 WEEKS AGO
The difference, of course, is that Morrison’s politics — like the politics of most Australians — are centre-right, whereas Albanese is from the hard-left rump of the increasingly left-wing Labor Party.

Karen 2 WEEKS AGO
NO he is more aligned with the Greens, and that is no advantage to the Australian people

Stephen 2 WEEKS AGO
Albanese is not a Statesman. He is like Shorten: He tries so hard to be one of the people.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:04am by juliar »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:04am

didnt S Conroy  want censorship during the hallowed krudd years??....it isnt new is it?... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:06am

It was the Greenies who wanted it as it is still one of their policies.

And Bob brown leaned on Gillard to try to BAN FREE SPEECH because the media was ripping the looney Greenies and Gillard to pieces.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:11am

I read somewhere where lefties boycott media that tells too many facts about them... I believe shortarse wouldnt have anything to do with news corp....anyone surprised??..

if you get to the top job   that isnt what you are meant to do   your door needs to be open to all sides of the equation....a lot of people read news corp.

just sayin!

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:35am

cods wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:11am:
I read somewhere where lefties boycott media that tells too many facts about them...

Link?

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:43am

Lazy Greggy has never heard of Google.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:45am

juliar wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:43am:
Lazy Greggy has never heard of Google.

Everyone's heard of Princess Juliar.

IP Logged

juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 2:28pm

Lazy Greggy has never heard of Google as he wallows in his 2nd childhood.

Greggy is that your favorite dolly ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print